HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gerber Appreciation Thread

Old
02-21-2007, 05:49 AM
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...

vCash: 500
Way to go Gerber. 3 solid games where I think he managed to silence some critics while gaining more fans here in Ottawa. Very solid SO performance last night.

Here's to a job well done!

MHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 06:18 AM
billpo

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 06:45 AM
discostu

Good job Gerber.

When Emery got the suspension, my mindset was, if we can win 2 of the 3, we'd be doing alright. Glad we were able to better that.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 06:59 AM
PlayItAgain

vCash: 50
Gerber's won his last 6 straight with a SV% .933 and a GAA 1.97.

He has 8 wins and 2 losses is his last 10 starts.

I hope the fans finally lay off him for a bit.

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 07:03 AM
Silvercup Returns
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Silvercup Returns

Twitter: @livelikeagypsy
Silvercup Returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 07:04 AM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItAgain View Post

Probably not. Fans still need a whipping boy and due to Corvo's enhanced performance on ice; Gerber will likely reacquire that position. Add to this his numbered days with Ottawa, he will continue to be the whipping boy because of his expensive contract.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:33 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley4Hart View Post
I don't wanna diss the guy but Mike Morrison with a bum knee could have still had a chance to win all of these past 3 games behind the Sens.
Did you watch the Edmonton game?

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Brandi

It's an appreciation thread folks.

Way to go Gerber. Way to go buddy.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Captain_Cunney

I love Mr. Gerber, he is finally playing the way I knew he could. It seems evident that he and Corvo are starting to get more comfortable with the pressure of playing in a Canadian city.

I hope Murray continues to use him when Ray comes back, we could really use two goalies playing at the top of their game heading into the playoffs (however I have my questions about whether Murry will do the right thing, but that is another story).

Maybe Mr. Gerber will get a shot at carrying a team to cup - reversal of his misfortunes from last year. Emery gets sick going into the playoffs, Gerber takes the ball and runs with it, we get a cup!!

It is a great feeling to have 2 quality goalers going into the playoffs, I really hope mucks doesn't trade gerber.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 10:46 AM
swisdan

Quote:

I agree, Gerber is definitely back in a great level.

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 10:57 AM
zenator

Biovail's experimental drug which reduces the size of the holes in Swiss cheese seems to be working.

It needs a few tweaks as it had worn off by the 2nd period of the Thrashers game, but they gave Gerber more pills in the 2nd intermission, and he was better in the third.

They don't want to completely get rid of the holes, because without them, Swiss cheese wouldn't be Swiss cheese, but the goal is for the holes to be smaller than the size of a hockey puck.

This drug shows great promise. I wonder if Melnyk will sell some samples to Montreal to try with Aebisher ? He's probably waiting for Aebischer to return to the Western Conference before setting up his trials.

zenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 11:08 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:

Agreed, he's stepped up, and when he was completely awful, it was at the same time the entire Sens team was completely awful. Trading Gerber right now to me is stupid, because you DO need goaltending depth. Anaheim, Nashville, SJ, all good goaltending depth. Look how Mason stepped up, huge for the Preds.

I would feel a lot better going into the playoffs with Gerber and Emery rather than just Emery. Plus if Emery gets pulled or somehow cant play in playoff games, Gerber is right back to his underdog role, where he shines best I think.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Brandi

OMG . Gerber looks like a little kid there.

Ahhh wittle buddie!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cute.jpg‎ (27.3 KB, 31 views)

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:43 PM
H2O

Way to step up Gerber.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:56 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I love Mr. Gerber, he is finally playing the way I knew he could. It seems evident that he and Corvo are starting to get more comfortable with the pressure of playing in a Canadian city.

I hope Murray continues to use him when Ray comes back, we could really use two goalies playing at the top of their game heading into the playoffs (however I have my questions about whether Murry will do the right thing, but that is another story).

Maybe Mr. Gerber will get a shot at carrying a team to cup - reversal of his misfortunes from last year. Emery gets sick going into the playoffs, Gerber takes the ball and runs with it, we get a cup!!

It is a great feeling to have 2 quality goalers going into the playoffs, I really hope mucks doesn't trade gerber.
I agree whole-heartedly with your post, except the Emery getting sick part. Emery is the starter, Gerber the backup - but Gerber steps in if needed. In my mind, Gerber has proven yet again that he is a capable starter in this league.

armani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:35 PM
EJsens1

I'm not sure what to take out of it. He beat a lifeless Florida team, was lucky that the team bailed him out against Atlanta and he was really good last night, especially in the third. The bottom line is that he won 3 games in a row, something he hadn't done I don't think with Ottawa.

However, people who think we should start giving him alot more ice-time are foolish. I still don't trust him, as Emery is better and our number 1. Plus, Emery will be the starter in the playoffs and needs action. Not overkill, but he needs to play the majoirty of games.

Does anyone here feel comfortable to say they think Gerber can win us a 7 game series against the other teams that will be in the top 8?? I sure as hell don't. He won't be seeing the Florida or Philly quality teams and I don't think he can get the job done as Emery can.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:44 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
Does anyone here feel comfortable to say they think Gerber can win us a 7 game series against the other teams that will be in the top 8?? I sure as hell don't. He won't be seeing the Florida or Philly quality teams and I don't think he can get the job done as Emery can.
I think if Gerber has to play in the playoffs he would play with a chip on his shoulder cause of last season when he was sick. Its confidence with Gerber he has it, hes an elite goaltender, any goalie that can shutout Canada 2-0 at the Olympics for Switzerland tells me when in his groove he is very tough to beat.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:52 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
hes an elite goaltender
Ummm...no.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:56 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Ummm...no.
He has shown that capability last year. If you watched the Canes they relied heavily on Gerber to make saves all the time as they were an offensive team. Much in the same way Grant Fuhr was. So yes he was an elite goalie, not this year but last season he was real, real good. I think its a confidence issue with him.

Old
02-21-2007, 03:58 PM
EJsens1

Quote:
I think if Gerber has to play in the playoffs he would play with a chip on his shoulder cause of last season when he was sick. Its confidence with Gerber he has it, hes an elite goaltender, any goalie that can shutout Canada 2-0 at the Olympics for Switzerland tells me when in his groove he is very tough to beat.
He is not an elite goalie. That word get's thrown around too easily. Frankly, watching him play now, he still doesn't play wth much confidence. The third period last night and the opening night of the season were the only times I watched him play where I thought he was actually under control.
Sadly, he isn't in that groove very often and is beaten on easy goals. I don't know what is worse. A goalie who makes awesome saves but gives up horrendous goals or Gerber??? Oh wait, that is what Gerber does. I'm sure you'll have some stats over the last few months that prove Gerber is getting so much better and that he deserves this and that with Emery, but I'm not going to throw Emery under the bus. Emery got us out of that disaster at the beginning of the year with a bum hand and he's been our most consistent player all year and probably our MVP.

Old
02-21-2007, 04:02 PM
EJsens1

Quote:
He has shown that capability last year. If you watched the Canes they relied heavily on Gerber to make saves all the time as they were an offensive team. Much in the same way Grant Fuhr was. So yes he was an elite goalie, not this year but last season he was real, real good. I think its a confidence issue with him.
And Carolina won the Stanley Cup on the heels of someone else. Circumstances or not, Ward was the goalie who won it for them. I'm starting to think that Gerber's role in Carolina was overrated and what he did last season heas no bearing on this year, clearly.
Grant Fuhr huh?? Garbage comparison. Fuhr played in front of a team that had how many Hall of Famers, plus himself. Different era's as well.

Old
02-21-2007, 04:03 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
He is not an elite goalie. That word get's thrown around too easily. Frankly, watching him play now, he still doesn't play wth much confidence. The third period last night and the opening night of the season were the only times I watched him play where I thought he was actually under control.
Sadly, he isn't in that groove very often and is beaten on easy goals. I don't know what is worse. A goalie who makes awesome saves but gives up horrendous goals or Gerber??? Oh wait, that is what Gerber does. I'm sure you'll have some stats over the last few months that prove Gerber is getting so much better and that he deserves this and that with Emery, but I'm not going to throw Emery under the bus. Emery got us out of that disaster at the beginning of the year with a bum hand and he's been our most consistent player all year and probably our MVP.
I know Emery is much better but you were knocking the idea of giving Gerber more ice time. Whats the harm in having two fresh goalies?

We seen last year what happened to an overworked Emery, I just don't see the harm in giving Gerber a few more starts heading into the playoffs, Emerys the number one but Gerber is more then a capable goalie.

Old
02-21-2007, 04:06 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Grant Fuhr huh?? Garbage comparison. Fuhr played in front of a team that had how many Hall of Famers, plus himself. Different era's as well.
Fuhr let in lots of weak goals in his day but when his team needed that key save he was there. If the game was 7-6 in the third, Fuhr would not allow that 7th goal to tie the game. Gerber was much the same way last season.

Old
02-21-2007, 04:07 PM
senility

Quote:
Emery got us out of that disaster at the beginning of the year with a bum hand and he's been our most consistent player all year and probably our MVP.

I'll second that. I'm thrilled to see Gerber playing better, but he has still looked psychologically vulnerable at times, even during this exceptional run. Emery on the other hand is a pretty cool customer. I've long maintained that his mental toughness and confidence are what have the potential to make him an "elite" goaltender over the course of his career. He's obviously got a lot of the necessary physical tools as well, but what makes him special is that he's got an aura about him that not many goalies have. I think he's already emerged as one of the leaders of this team and I think his swagger has really rubbed off on the other players.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 05:07 PM
SenatorElect*

Quote:

SenatorElect* is offline   Reply With Quote