HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

My view from in front of the big screen

Old
02-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Matts

vCash: 500
Oilers transitional game

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
First of all, what a game.

With 8 rookies in the line-up and 4 on defence, the Oilers played their hearts out. The transition game was pretty bad but that's more a product of having so many new players in the lineup than anything.

First of all:

Oiler brass missed the boat on Gilbert. He's every bit as talented as Smid and probably more poised. He looked incredible out there. If Smid wasn't in the Pronger trade, I think the pressure would have been off Lowe and MacT to keep him up with the big club. Huge thumbs up.

Pouliot is a player. I've always said it and now he's showing it. Very smart and very savvy.

Joffrey Lupul is terrible. Just terrible. Sens fans beside me were laughing at him. His head is miles away from the rink. I don't know what do with him. Trying to trade him now would be like trying to sell Bre-X stocks. He adds nothing to the club.

Gutsy effort overall. But anyone who doesn't say the Oilers are playing for next year is dreaming. Greene a healthy scratch. Four rookie defenceman in the line-up.

It's hard to get a sensible rush on the go when two of your top four dmen at ES are Smith and Hejda. Don't get me wrong, I love both guys but the first pass isn't their forte. Not to mention that Smid can make a pass but he needs lots of time so that he'll make that pass and not crap his pants. Guys like 71 were hot early on and then fizzled, Torres goals have dropped and Lupul is just a steaming pile but man oh man there are shifts whne you need Jayne or Mario back there carrying the puck out of our zone.

Great game to watch though.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 10:49 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
It's hard to get a sensible rush on the go when two of your top four dmen at ES are Smith and Hejda. Don't get me wrong, I love both guys but the first pass isn't their forte. Not to mention that Smid can make a pass but he needs lots of time so that he'll make that pass and not crap his pants. Guys like 71 were hot early on and then fizzled, Torres goals have dropped and Lupul is just a steaming pile but man oh man there are shifts whne you need Jayne or Mario back there carrying the puck out of our zone.

Great game to watch though.
Yeah the defence needs work but considering the amount of NHL experience they have I have no complaints.

This defence has a bright future and right now its all about the future and that is what my future game reports will be concentrating on.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:21 AM
TheGreatone94

IMO we haven't become buyers or sellers yet. I think after the game against Minny we will know where we are. If we are 6 or less points back of a playoff spot then we should be buyers. But the game against Minny is a must win. We need to win our game in hand and our game on Sunday to become buyers, which is most likely all three games. If not, sell Sykie, Tjarny, Markkanen, and anyone else who is disposable (Winchester). However, I believe Tjarnqvist will be back in the lineup tomorrow as he took the morning skate today.

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:36 AM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatone94 View Post
But the game against Minny is a must win.
Not only is it a must win, the Oilers have to hit everything in sight in the process.

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote