HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal: Trading Smyth to Anaheim

Old
02-21-2007, 01:09 AM
outKast*

vCash: 500
Proposal: Trading Smyth to Anaheim

This is just a thought, and i'm just wondering what you all think about this....

First, let's start with the stumbling blocks:
1) Anaheim has no first round picks to trade. We already have them
2) Anaheim can't afford to trade young players. They already depleted their prospects for Pronger.
3) However, if they want Smyth, they have to pay up.

The Trade:

To Anaheim:

Ryan Smyth

To Edmonton:
[Ryan Getzlaf/Corey Perry/Bobby Ryan] + picks (the pick position and number of picks is dependent on which of those players is coming Edmonton's way)

If they want Smyth, Burke will have to refer to what Nashville paid for Forsberg. If they decline, then it's no big loss. We'll find a buyer who is willing to pay the price. Smyth will return much more than Nagy and a little less than Forsberg. I ask Brian Burke one thing... What the point of being a GM in the NHL? To win the cup? Or to have the best prospect pool in the NHL? This year is as good of a chance that they'll ever have to go all the way. With Smyth, it increases their chance.

Why Anaheim?

1) It increase's Anaheim's chances to win the Cup.
2) If Anaheim wins the cup, the Oilers get another 1st round pick
3) Trading Smyth to a team like Anaheim is genius financially. Why? The Ducks have $6.75 Million tied up to Niedermayer and $6.25 Million tied up to Pronger. Selanne and Giguere are both tied up to almost 4 million. This makes it IMPOSSIBLE for them to re-sign Smytty. Everyone's seen what's happening in T-Bay. Burke's smarter than that. In the open market, Smyth will command $5.5-6. That's a figure they can't afford.

Bottomline....
If a trade of this sort went through and everything went smoothly (Which we can't assume, but for this instance, please use your imagination), the past Oiler + Ducks transactions will end up looking like so....

To Edmonton:
Ladislav Smid, Joffery Lupul, (Getzlaf, Ryan, Perry), 1st 07', 1st 08', 1st 09', + more picks

To Anaheim
2007 Stanley Cup, 4 years of Chris Pronger, 16 games + Playoffs for Ryan Smyth.

Other possible implications:
If the trade happens, Anaheim will have a depleted prospect pool. Their top player Selanne is aging and is on the decline. Who will they turn to when he retires or starts under performing? Because of this, what if Anaheim gets so bad they turn into a lottery team. If they do, guess who has their pick? We would. And guess who is available for the 2009 draft? None other than John Tavares.

Anyhoo, just sharing a thought. I know it's extremely impossible, but it's always nice to dream. But when you look at it though, look what happened to Anaheim the year after they made the SC Finals. Stranger things have happened.

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:27 AM
coolwasabi

Fairly good points, but Burke bluntly told TSN that he was NOT willing to trade away any of his young prospects.

coolwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:31 AM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwasabi View Post
Fairly good points, but Burke bluntly told TSN that he was NOT willing to trade away any of his young prospects.
lol, yeah... sorta what i figured.

Oh well, no Ryan Smyth for him then.

Old
02-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Tyrolean

Anaheim can also trade some of their players to other teams for picks and have cap space for Smyth next year.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:42 AM
JonQuixote

If we could get Getzlaf for Smyth, we'd have to do it in a heartbeat (and hope Smyth comes back to us).

But it ain't gonna happen. Neither would Perry - if Perry wouldn't move for Forsberg, he ain't moving for Smyth.

Maybe we could get Bobby Ryan for Smyth, which would be a nice return - awesome return if Smyth resigns with us, but barring knowing that, it's in our best interests to resign Smyth.

You can talk about Anaheim wanting to have the best prospect pool in the league, but actually they're a little depleted. They made their big acquisition in the off-season when they picked up Pronger. They don't have a first or a second this year, they potentially don't have their first next year. And with their UFA situation - their best forward, starting goaltender, and all of their depth defensemen this year, plus a few RFAs - they're probably only going to be able to use the market to maintain.

So I can't fault Burke for not being so willing to part with his top young forwards. If Anaheim had went into the regular season as is from the playoffs, were a middle of the pack team all year, and picked up Pronger at the deadline, everybody would be saying 'Holy ****, they've got to be considered Cup favorites'.

So Burke basically played his ace early. And even with no acquisitions, Anaheim still has as good a chance as any team to win the Cup.

I really think all they need to do is make some small pick-ups, Kevyn Adams or Jamie Heward type guys, to be as strong a contender as Nashville or Buffalo.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:45 AM
DesiFever

Quote:
after the nick saban fiasco, i think i know better now than to believe sports coaches/executives blatently make their point

DesiFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:49 AM
noice
The Shield

vCash: 133
That'd be funny if this went down while the Oilers make the playoffs and beat the Ducks

noice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:50 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Check out post #87, I took it a few steps further.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=347421&page=4

02-21-2007, 01:55 AM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Anaheim can also trade some of their players to other teams for picks and have cap space for Smyth next year.
Who? 14 of 23 players make under 1 million on that team. Anaheim is a TOP stacked team. Are they going to trade Giguere to make room for Smyth? Ok, so that clears up $3.9 million, but he'd still have to clear up 2 million. That also downgrades their goaltending. Will Toskala make that big of a difference? Probably not, but in the playoffs, maybe. If he traded Giguere, Burke would suffer a downgrade in goal and still have to rid of another core player. On top of that, what will he do in the long term? He has to resign Beauchmin, Pahlsson (who will start making MORE than $650,000), Penner (Who will make MORE than league minimum), Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Kunitz within the next 2 seasons. Yeah, he'd probably make some moves and keeps Smyth for one year (If Ryan agrees, which i would assume he wouldn't), but why go through all that trouble when Brian Burke knows for damn sure he can't afford the guy now or later....i can't see it.

Old
02-21-2007, 02:01 AM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrafitch View Post
Who? 14 of 23 players make under 1 million on that team. Anaheim is a TOP stacked team. Are they going to trade Giguere to make room for Smyth? Ok, so that clears up $3.9 million, he'd still have to clear up 2 million. At the same time, he'd still have to get rid of another player. On top of that, what will he do in the long term? He has to resign Beauchmin, Pahlsson (who will start making MORE than $650,000), Penner (Who will make MORE than league minimum), Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Kunitz within the next 2 seasons. Yeah, he'd probably make some moves and keeps Smyth for one year (If Ryan agrees, which i would assume he wouldn't), but why go through all that trouble when Bryan Burke knows for damn sure he can't keep the guy....i can't see it.
Anaheim would probably have enough Cap room to squeeze in Smyth next year (with very little wiggle room) if they really wanted to, but after that they'd probably have cap problems (once the entry contracts on their young forwards expire). The contract that will dictate their ability to play the market will be Selanne's. If he signs a 1 year deal, they can probably add another big ticket player and then say goodbye to Teemu after next season. Or maybe they can get him to sign a longer deal at a much reduced price, knowing they'll carry some dead cap weight a few years from now.

Old
02-21-2007, 02:10 AM
outKast*

lol, i just looked back at my bottom line....

Anaheim ends up giving up,

3 former first round picks,
3 future first round picks,
2nd rounder
+ other picks

for

SC, Pronger & 16games + playoffs of Smyth

lol. That would seem like a massacre if it led to a future Oiler cup.

Old
02-21-2007, 02:28 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

I'd say that Burke suggesting he won't trade prospects is more an attempt to tone down the prices that other GMs are demanding than an attempt to draw a proverbial line in the sand.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:38 AM
Towelie*

There isn't even a hope in hell that Ryan Smyth could fetch one of Getzlaf or Perry. I doubt as well that Smyth even comes close to the value of Bobby Ryan. Obviously the Ducks think very highly of him considering where they took him.

Smyth would return a mid to late first round pick and an average prospect.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:48 AM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
There isn't even a hope in hell that Ryan Smyth could fetch one of Getzlaf or Perry. I doubt as well that Smyth even comes close to the value of Bobby Ryan. Obviously the Ducks think very highly of him considering where they took him.

Smyth would return a mid to late first round pick and an average prospect.
I HATE posts like this. Nagy got a first rounder and he's underachieving. Forsberg got a top D prospect, a former first rounder and another first rounder.

Ryan Smyth is on pace for 42 goals in 72 games and 48 in 82 games. You're telling me that Ryan Smyth:
- the heart, soul and face of the Oilers
- a player who has reached the Stanley Cup final (experience)
- Captain Canada (represented Canada for more games than any active player)
- an All Star
- Olympian.... CAN'T fetch one of those players? Yet Forsberg fetched all that?

Open up you closed mind. And stop speaking in absolutes. It's extremely pretentious and irritating. Anything can happen.

Old
02-21-2007, 02:55 AM
Towelie*

Quote:
I HATE posts like this. Nagy got a first rounder and he's underachieving. Forsberg got a top D prospect, a former first rounder and another first rounder.

Ryan Smyth is on pace for 42 goals in 72 games and 48 in 82 games. You're telling me that Ryan Smyth:
- the heart, soul and face of the Oilers
- a player who has reached the Stanley Cup final (experience)
- Captain Canada (represented Canada for more games than any active player)
- an All Star
- Olympian.... CAN'T fetch one of those players? Yet Forsberg fetched all that?

Open up you closed mind. And stop speaking in absolutes. It's extremely pretentious and irritating. Anything can happen.
Are you kidding me? First, I don't think Smyth would fetch more then Nagy. Hence the first round pick + decent prospect.

And yes, there is absolutely no way the Ryan Smyth could fetch Getzlaf or Perry - THAT ISN'T EVEN DEBATABLE. Bobby Ryan was drafted 2nd over all - ergo we know how much Anaheim values him. I doubt that Ryan Smyth could land a second overall pick, and hence, I doubt that Anaheim would trade Bobby Ryan.

Burke has already acknowledged everything I have said. He said that there is no way he is going to give up any of these guys.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:00 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Are you kidding me? First, I don't think Smyth would fetch more then Nagy. Hence the first round pick + decent prospect.

And yes, there is absolutely no way the Ryan Smyth could fetch Getzlaf or Perry - THAT ISN'T EVEN DEBATABLE. Bobby Ryan was drafted 2nd over all - ergo we know how much Anaheim values him. I doubt that Ryan Smyth could land a second overall pick, and hence, I doubt that Anaheim would trade Bobby Ryan.

Burke has already acknowledged everything I have said. He said that there is no way he is going to give up any of these guys.
You're wrong, but I'm sure we'll find out what Ryan Smyth is worth on deadline day, or at least we'll hear the tales of what the Oilers turned down.

Honestly, if you could GUARANTY a Cup nobody would ever say they wouldn't trade a prospect for a player that can put them over the top. The Oilers were willing to move a 1st, 2nd and some prospects to get to the finals last season. If you win the Cup it's like a free pass for 5 years...or more. And if you have a young, solid core you can stay competitive...if not the Cup winner, for some years.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:06 AM
outKast*

Quote:
Are you kidding me? First, I don't think Smyth would fetch more then Nagy.
I can not believe that i read this. How can you possibly be serious? This did it for me. You're on my ignore list. Please feel free to do the same. I can not and will not share a forum where the other person's opinion is baseless and illogical. I can't sink to that level. I have no clue where you get your information, but the last i checked...

Ladislav Nagy
58GP 8G 33A 41PTS
Pro-rated: 11G 46A 56PTS

Ryan Smyth
50GP 29G 20A 49PTS
Pro-rated 48G 33A 81PTS
Rental puposes: Ryan Smyth has playoff experience (game 7 SC finals), team canada tournaments, olympics, etc. He has the experience teams want and VALUE.

You're telling me that Ladislav Nagy will return more than Smyth? It's like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

Old
02-21-2007, 03:13 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Just going to throw this out here...

Smyth + Torres for Bell + Wishart/Carle/Vlasic

Given that we can re-sign Smyth in the offseason, how would that look? Way off value wise?

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:35 AM
The Imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post

Given that we can re-sign Smyth in the offseason, how would that look? Way off value wise?
I possess insufficient wisdom to dare comment on the value aspect of that trade proposal.

However, I have a more general comment: If the Oil were to acquired a(nother) young dman, one or two'd have to leave. Syvret, Gilbert, Roy and co. shan't hang around forever, pinballing between various AHL franchises, spread over the Western Hemisphere. And there, as they say, lies the rub. What the Oil really needs is a roster defenceman. No playoff team will surrender such a player (except, arguably, Ottawa with Corvo). So... what's left? I could see the merit in a young (2006 or 2005 pick) forward prospect (preferably a right-winger), and a decent draft pick.

The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:41 AM
JonQuixote

Quote:
To be fair, Forsberg got a top D prospect with some serious injury concerns, a former first rounder who has struggled immensely, and another (almost certainly high) first rounder. The pedigree on both of the 'name' players has suffered.

That said, I'd have to think that anybody bidding on Smyth would give closer to a Forsberg deal than a Nagy deal. A first rounder and a top prospect and maybe a bonus pick would sound about right, considering Smyth's appeal as a 'playoff player' and the year he's having. But you'd never get a guy like Getzlaf for him, a young guy with that much potential who's already playing well in the NHL and is a big part of their club.

And I think you can take that as an absolute. If Anaheim wasn't gonna give up Corey Perry for Forsberg, they won't give up Getzlaf (or Perry) for Smyth.

Old
02-21-2007, 03:46 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post

Just out of curiosity, why Bell? He has only 12pts on the season, and is expected to go back to court (today) about his DUI and hit and run incident. He faces a maximum of three years and eight months in prison. Link

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 04:19 AM
FERNANDO!!!!

Send a message via MSN to FERNANDO!!!!
what?

man what the F** are you talking about?
why not just send horcoff to the moon and hope he comes back with some magic rocks for markannen?

FERNANDO!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 07:46 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
KLOWE--"Hey Burke you want Smyth I want one of your young players"

Fatboy--"**** you"

KLOWE--"Okay, What will you give for Smyth?"

FAtBoy getting fatter--"7th round pick"

Klowe--"**** you"

that was the converstion

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 10:17 AM
ONOilersFan

Quote:
Are you kidding me? First, I don't think Smyth would fetch more then Nagy.
Congratulations. You have just won the honour of absolute dumbest poster in the forum. There isn't a GM, scout or coach in the league that would agree with you about Smyth and Nagy. Props to you. It takes commitment to be that out of it.

ONOilersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 10:39 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
I could probably live with the Oilers trading Smyth (though obviously signing him before the deadline would be ideal), but to see him in a Ducks jersey would probably make me puke. Ditto for the Cannucks, Flames, and Redwings.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote