HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal: Trading Smyth to Anaheim

Old
02-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
Are you kidding me? First, I don't think Smyth would fetch more then Nagy. Hence the first round pick + decent prospect.
I believe that's what we call an incorrect thought.

Smyth brings more to the table then Nagy and is playing at a higher level. He brings home alot more then Nagy.

Forsberg got 3 1st (Parent, Upshall, and 1st) and a 3rd, Stauffer said it best, Smyth should bring you atleast 2/3s of that package.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Matts

The opening post reminded me of something

specfically the quote from Lowe the other night about Ana not having many pieces to move anymore because they gave them all to Edm.

That one killed me

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 11:23 AM
dynastydays

I said it in another thread, and if Lupul has any trade value anywhere right now, Anaheim is probably the spot. Its an opportunity to fix the mistake for Lowe...

Smyth + Lupul
for
Getzlaf + prospect.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
specfically the quote from Lowe the other night about Ana not having many pieces to move anymore because they gave them all to Edm.

That one killed me
i just heard an interview with burke ( link on trade rumours page). He said the same thing as Lowe. He admitted that he is having a tough time this deadline becasue he traded away his prime assets in the pronger deal. He only has players left (and lots of 3rd and 4th rounders) but he doesn't want to trade his young players.

He also said he was allready over the team cap this year. The Ducks are loing money at a 38 mill payroll and they are actually at 40 mill right now.

With 26.6 mill tied up in 11 players (not including selane) , and a self imposed 38 mill cap, they aren't going to be players in the Smyth sweepstakes this summer. He has kinda backed himself into a corner for next year so his window may be this year.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 11:51 AM
mackaveli

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post
I said it in another thread, and if Lupul has any trade value anywhere right now, Anaheim is probably the spot. Its an opportunity to fix the mistake for Lowe...

Smyth + Lupul
for
Getzlaf + prospect.
trade makes no sense for anaheim. Why would they want lupul back, so they can help lowe fix his mistake on the pronger trade?

Also who will centre the 2nd line? now unless perry can play centre they have 3 Rw's in selanne, lupul, and perry. Anaheim won't do this trade. marchant is hurt, they need getzlaf as the 2nd line centre. They be very thin on the centre position if they traded away getzlaf.

mackaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 11:57 AM
21Gator*

I think the best way is to swap Lupul for Getzlaf, let them rent Smyth and throw in a second tier prospect on for us.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 11:58 AM
dynastydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackaveli View Post
trade makes no sense for anaheim. Why would they want lupul back, so they can help lowe fix his mistake on the pronger trade?

Also who will centre the 2nd line? now unless perry can play centre they have 3 Rw's in selanne, lupul, and perry. Anaheim won't do this trade. marchant is hurt, they need getzlaf as the 2nd line centre.
Theyre comfortable with Lupul I'm sure. Smyth is an attractive way to play keepup with Nashville. Their window is within the next 3 years to win a cup, theres no guarantee Gigeure returns after this season either.

I'm not saying its gospel here, but its something thats workable and benefeits both teams without dismantling Anaheims future.

Old
02-21-2007, 11:59 AM
21Gator*

Quote:

Also who will centre the 2nd line? now unless perry can play centre they have 3 Rw's in selanne, lupul, and perry. Anaheim won't do this trade. marchant is hurt, they need getzlaf as the 2nd line centre. They be very thin on the centre position if they traded away getzlaf.
Because it's better than getting no future for a rental. We can throw in Winchseter or Petersen if they need a depth Center and can move one of their guys up.

Old
02-21-2007, 11:59 AM
dynastydays

Quote:

Smyth + Lupul
for
Getzlaf + prospect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Gator View Post
I think the best way is to swap Lupul for Getzlaf, let them rent Smyth and throw in a second tier prospect on for us.

Old
02-21-2007, 12:03 PM
21Gator*

Quote:
Yeah, sorry. I was writing and then someone interupted before I could post. Noticed you had posted the same thing and thought, "oh well."

Old
02-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Are you kidding me? First, I don't think Smyth would fetch more then Nagy. Hence the first round pick + decent prospect.

And yes, there is absolutely no way the Ryan Smyth could fetch Getzlaf or Perry - THAT ISN'T EVEN DEBATABLE. Bobby Ryan was drafted 2nd over all - ergo we know how much Anaheim values him. I doubt that Ryan Smyth could land a second overall pick, and hence, I doubt that Anaheim would trade Bobby Ryan.

Burke has already acknowledged everything I have said. He said that there is no way he is going to give up any of these guys.
Sorry Russian Rocket for the rough ride on here.

Actually guys, as an Oiler fan, and long time Smyth fan, I agree with RR. I too don't think Smyth would fetch MUCH more than Nagy. Let's face it guys - comparing Forsberg to Smyth is not a valid comparison. Forsberg has won the Cup, is a dominant force in the playoffs, and can win games by himself. And this is coming from a Forsberg critic.

Smyth is not in the same hemisphere. Is Smyth a better playoff player than Nagy? Sure is. But imo - any trade for Smyth would probably net a return closer to Nagy than to Forsberg. A 1st round and probably an average prospect (i.e. NOT a blue chip prospect like Ryan, Getzlaf or Perry).

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 12:18 PM
mackaveli

Quote:
Because it's better than getting no future for a rental. We can throw in Winchseter or Petersen if they need a depth Center and can move one of their guys up.
i just don't see them trading getzlaf since the are weak at centre. If we were to offer lupul + smyth, we would probably get Perry + prospect since lupul would replace perry on the right wing. I just don't know if its really worth it since imo getzlaf is much better then perry.

Old
02-21-2007, 12:25 PM
vb

But this is the structure of the deal I would like to see for Smyth:

Oilers
Smyth
Conditional 3rd (if we resign Smyth in the summer)

Trading Partner
Asset
Conditional 1st (if they resign Smyth)
Conditional 3rd (if they resign Smyth)

So imagine if we deal him to Anaheim, it would be something like:
Smyth for Perry

If we resign Smyth in the summer Anaheim gets our 3rd.
If they resign Smyth we get a 1st and a 3rd.
If neither team signs him, it's Smyth for Perry, but will mean he didn't want to resign here anyway.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 12:29 PM
21Gator*

Quote:
i just don't see them trading getzlaf since the are weak at centre. If we were to offer lupul + smyth, we would probably get Perry + prospect since lupul would replace perry on the right wing. I just don't know if its really worth it since imo getzlaf is much better then perry.
Makes some sense. We would need Mikkelson or Mitera if it was Perry for Lupul and Smyth. And that is a move of too much future, imo, from Burke's perspective.

We could throw in Sykora, Petersen or Nedved. I don't know. I would love to swap Lupul for Getz somehow.

Old
02-21-2007, 12:37 PM
mackaveli

Quote:
Makes some sense. We would need Mikkelson or Mitera if it was Perry for Lupul and Smyth. And that is a move of too much future, imo, from Burke's perspective.

We could throw in Sykora, Petersen or Nedved. I don't know. I would love to swap Lupul for Getz somehow.
so would i, I love getzlaf, but where do you see him fitting on our team if we even got him though? can he play wing or just centre? If just centre, do we assme we would trade Horcoff (if stoll is 100% healthy) and have our centres for next year as

stoll
getzlaf
pouilot
reasoner/ or someone else???

edit- and when i say trade horcoff, i mean in the off season like at draft day to move up in the draft or to get a solid D man in the off season.

Old
02-21-2007, 12:49 PM
21Gator*

Quote:
so would i, I love getzlaf, but where do you see him fitting on our team if we even got him though? can he play wing or just centre? If just centre, do you assme we would trade Horcoff (if stoll is 100% healthy) and have our centres for next year as

stoll
getzlaf
pouilot
That is exactly what I would do.

Smyth - Stoll - Hemsky
Torres- Getzlaf - Pisani
JFJ - MAP - Sykora or Veteran RW
Mikhnov - Reasoner -

UFA - Smith
Smid - Staois
Gilbert - Greene
Grebs/Roy

We could trade Horc for a RW+Depth, or package him with Greene or Roy for a better Dman. And I think our salary position would be much better.

Old
02-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Giggli G

I definitely think we should try to package several of our UFA's together (Smyth+Sykora at least) to get a high quality (not quantity) return. I know it is difficult, but I hope that's what KLowe's going for.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrafitch View Post
I can not believe that i read this. How can you possibly be serious? This did it for me. You're on my ignore list. Please feel free to do the same. I can not and will not share a forum where the other person's opinion is baseless and illogical. I can't sink to that level. I have no clue where you get your information, but the last i checked...

Ladislav Nagy
58GP 8G 33A 41PTS
Pro-rated: 11G 46A 56PTS

Ryan Smyth
50GP 29G 20A 49PTS
Pro-rated 48G 33A 81PTS
Rental puposes: Ryan Smyth has playoff experience (game 7 SC finals), team canada tournaments, olympics, etc. He has the experience teams want and VALUE.

You're telling me that Ladislav Nagy will return more than Smyth? It's like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.
Sorry - that was a legitimate typo. I mean to say that I do think he would be able to get more then Nagy. This was obvious in my initial post when I claimed he would land a mid to late first round pick and mid level prospect.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:02 PM
mackaveli

Quote:
That is exactly what I would do.

Smyth - Stoll - Hemsky
Torres- Getzlaf - Pisani
JFJ - MAP - Sykora or Veteran RW
Mikhnov - Reasoner -

UFA - Smith
Smid - Staois
Gilbert - Greene
Grebs/Roy

We could trade Horc for a RW+Depth, or package him with Greene or Roy for a better Dman. And I think our salary position would be much better.
don't forget we still have moreau on the team. I would love for that to happen as well but i dont think it would happen.

I would even package schremp in the deal if we could secure getzlaf. Smyth, Lupul, and Schremp for getzlaf, 3rd round pick, plus a decent prospect.

Maybe some people think its an overpayment maybe some don't but i don't see schremp having a real future here so if we can somehow get getzlaf and a decent prospect i'd be happy. Aren't bobby ryan and schremp friends? Anaheim could bring them up together and develop chemistry in the minors or in the nhl on the same line. They did play on the same line in the world jrs.

Old
02-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
so would i, I love getzlaf, but where do you see him fitting on our team if we even got him though? can he play wing or just centre? If just centre, do we assme we would trade Horcoff (if stoll is 100% healthy) and have our centres for next year as

stoll
getzlaf
pouilot

edit- and when i say trade horcoff, i mean in the off season like at draft day to move up in the draft or to get a solid D man in the off season.
I wouldn't bother. There is absolutely ZERO chance that Smyth returns Getzlaf.

Old
02-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
But this is the structure of the deal I would like to see for Smyth:

Oilers
Smyth
Conditional 3rd (if we resign Smyth in the summer)

Trading Partner
Asset
Conditional 1st (if they resign Smyth)
Conditional 3rd (if they resign Smyth)

So imagine if we deal him to Anaheim, it would be something like:
Smyth for Perry

If we resign Smyth in the summer Anaheim gets our 3rd.
If they resign Smyth we get a 1st and a 3rd.
If neither team signs him, it's Smyth for Perry, but will mean he didn't want to resign here anyway.
Smyth will not return a package of this value. You simply are not going to get a young stud like Getzlaf or Perry.

Old
02-21-2007, 01:19 PM
mullet

Quote:
Smyth will not return a package of this value. You simply are not going to get a young stud like Getzlaf or Perry.
What happens if you tell them they can have their conditional first back if they win the cup? basically you upgraded the pick to a grade A prospect in return for a rental mullet

mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
What happens if you tell them they can have their conditional first back if they win the cup? basically you upgraded the pick to a grade A prospect in return for a rental mullet
Value wise, it would make it close to even. But Burke, and most GM's, are simply not going to give up young up and coming stars for a rental and a first round pick. There just isn't enough incentive to take such a risk.

Old
02-21-2007, 01:30 PM
vb

Quote:
Fair enough, the asset is the lesser concern for me. I am most concerned about getting something for Smyth while his value is high while including conditions that see he hits the UFA market.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:40 PM
dynastydays

Quote:
The proposal had Lupul being sent back in addition to Smyth. Lets try to stay on the same page here.