HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

GDT: Caps/Sharks: 2/21/2007

Old
02-21-2007, 09:19 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

vCash: 500
I think Ovechkin let his respect for Scott Hannan get to him too much. He said last year that he thought he was the best d man in the league (Obviously not true at all), and didn't appear very aggressive tonight. A little dissapointing. Too bad I only get to see him once every three years.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalPunishment View Post
Something is wrong. It's beyond the lame trap excuse. Well beyond
It's mental, partially. He's been frustrated, at times visibly, the entire month.

He's said publically that he doesn't know what to do when he has the puck with speed and is entering the zone. When your franchise goal scorer says that, something's wrong with his game readiness.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:44 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4caps View Post
The Cap trap happened to him. He was told to play a game differant than he was used to. Play defense they said.
Disagree. They have a power play. He is a prime place on that power play and nothing happened tonight and it hasn't happened in a long time now.

I think its completely unrealistic to say that because they are playing a trap or more defensive than before the leagues leading goal scorer and top 5 points scorer in the league is limited by that style of play all the way to 2pts in 9 games.

Zednik has more points than that in those 9 games. Heward had a three point game in that system.

It could be that playing more defensively might cut his points down from 12 pts in 9 games to 9pts in 9 games. Thats realistic. But to say that it has eliminated his ability to create ANY offense is totally wrong.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:47 PM
zcarguy

anyone know why Clark did not finish the game?

Z

zcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:47 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoflint View Post
4-10-3 in their last 17 games certainly backs up any hint of doom and gloom.

They don't play anyone below them in the standings the rest of the way:

Florida 3 games
Tampa Bay 3 games
Atlanta 2 games
New Jersey 2 games
NY Islanders 2 games
Buffalo 2 games
Carolina 2 games
Toronto 2 games
Boston 1 game
Montreal 1 game
Pittsburgh 1 game

Trading Zednik, Zubrus, and Heward will hurt this team down the stretch even more than it looks...
Since they are 14th in a 15 team conference, there are not many options for playing someone below them in the standings.

Old
02-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Capital Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Capital Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcarguy View Post
anyone know why Clark did not finish the game?

Z
He got hit in the third period. Shoulder on shoulder in the offensive zone just off the boards. You have to wonder if it's a bad injury considering the fact that he finished his shift earlier in the season after breaking his jaw and losing half of his teeth.

Capital Fanatic

Capital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Since they are 14th in a 15 team conference, there are not many options for playing someone below them in the standings.
Even if they did, they just barely beat the Kings (thanks to weak goaltending from Garon) and aren't playing as well as the Flyers are right now. It's hard to find a team that's playing as ugly and disorganized a brand of hockey as the Caps are right now. They're improved defensively as of late but their transition and passing game isn't NHL-calibre.

The Caps have lost something like six in a row against the Devils and then have Florida once again on the road the night of the trade deadline. So...yeah...things haven't hit bottom yet.

Old
02-21-2007, 10:02 PM
The Viking Fury

The game on tuesday against Florida could be dreadful, especially if Zubrus is gone

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Hanlon is such an oddball (from tomorrow's Post):
Quote:
Before the game, Capitals Coach Glen Hanlon was asked if had considered juggling the top line in an effort to jump-start Ovechkin, who still leads the team with 34 goals and 72 points. Hanlon said he had not, because in Russian hockey culture, players believe linemates are linemates "for life." So he continued skating on the left side of center Dainius Zubrus and right wing Chris Clark.
I guess the one-game Richard Zednik experiment at the beginning of the year didn't count...

That's probably not the best thing to say when Ovechkin's center is potentially on his way out in the next week.

Old
02-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

so does that mean either we shoot Zubrus or shoot ovechkin?

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
so does that mean either we shoot Zubrus or shoot ovechkin?
Sounds more like Russian roulette to me...

What the hell kind of answer is that, though?

Old
02-21-2007, 10:52 PM
dinoflint

Quote:
Hehe - I was thinking league wide. So no games against Chicago, Columbus, LA, Phoenix, Philly. Only upcoming Caps opponent that is struggling as much is Florida...

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 11:05 PM
dinoflint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
What the hell kind of answer is that, though?
A VERY bad one - its time to start holding Hanlon accountable for these losses, too. He's done well handling the young guys while there is nothing on the line, but at some point, he's going to have to start managing games to keep his job.

i'd venture to guess that the rest of this season and the beginning of next season are going to be ugly. A lot of issues are coming to the forefront at the same time:

Coaching all around: PP, PK, 5 on 5.
Some young guys are regressing - Sutherby and Eminger
Klepis? Flash?
Kolzig's injury - he went on record saying if the Caps fade, he's out for the season.
New faces - Jurcina, whatever the trade deadline brings, off season acquisitions
Old faces - those who are gone at the deadline, let go in the offseason.
Demand of fans
Amount of money forked over by Ted in the offseason
Backstrom?

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Vogel has more from a pre-game entry:
Quote:
“There is never a discussion of moving,” said Hanlon. “You have to understand the Russian mindset. It’s like, you play with somebody for life. You don’t change people. The KLM Line, they start out on [the] Red Army [team] when you’re like 12 years old. You don’t even dream of changing. I’ve done that with our [national] team in Belarus. They just look at you like, ‘This is the weirdest doggone thing.’ So it’s kind of Ovie’s mindset that he plays with Zubrus and Clark.”...

“I’ve said lots of times that I admire [Tampa Bay coach John] Tortorella’s persistence in [saying], ‘You guys sort this out.’ They’re not flipping lines every single time they get into a dry spell.”

Hanlon did add: “Nothing is forever. There might come a time when that would happen....

“That second line center has to establish himself as a top NHL player. He’s got to be a 60-70 point guy or I’m not too sure that the experiment is worth it to be flipping everybody around.”

Old
02-22-2007, 12:45 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
And with that, Ovechkin's season-ending MCL tear is written in stone. I hope you're happy.

Someone delete this godaweful post. To even joke about this....you deserve a kick to the groin.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:50 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
these guys suck. that includes ovechkin. they stink. i dont think its a foregone conclusion that they are going to pull out of this. and thats its no problem.

of course i am the gloom and doom guy. but ya know...they are losing over and over again.

Dude I'm right there with you. But hey....we should trade away Zubrus and everything will be fine next season.

Old
02-22-2007, 01:49 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalPunishment View Post
Thats a lame excuse.

He's had the puck so much on his stick and he hasnt done a ****ing thing with it. He's hasnt done ****. He has the puck on his stick so much during the PP, even strength and any situation when he's on the ice.

Yet he hasnt done ****. Last 9 games he's had a VERY fluky goal and a secondary assist against the lowly kings.

Something is wrong. It's beyond the lame trap excuse. Well beyond
okay that's it! I'm the one to blame. I'll take his wallpaper off my myspace acount tomorrow.

I've jinxed everone. Everytime I use a "hot" cap for my work passwords, the end up sucking. I've got Fehr now after changing from Nyco 2 weeks ago. Before that it was Green Just blame me. My next password will be crosby.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 08:12 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Disagree. They have a power play. He is a prime place on that power play and nothing happened tonight and it hasn't happened in a long time now.

I think its completely unrealistic to say that because they are playing a trap or more defensive than before the leagues leading goal scorer and top 5 points scorer in the league is limited by that style of play all the way to 2pts in 9 games.

Zednik has more points than that in those 9 games. Heward had a three point game in that system.

It could be that playing more defensively might cut his points down from 12 pts in 9 games to 9pts in 9 games. Thats realistic. But to say that it has eliminated his ability to create ANY offense is totally wrong.

Couldn't resist.....I watched very, very closely last night...and damned if I could see a trap.

In the 3rd period right after they showed the clips of the Sharks putting us on our @sses...Bennanati said pretty much word for word a recent description I gave a few days ago of the "style".

It ain't a trap guys.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:23 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Vogel has more from a pre-game entry:
ididitlangway - glad you brought this quote up as I thought the timing was odd given the current situation with Zubrus and the current struggles; interesting to read the more complete quote from Vogel's write-up.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCslayer View Post
Ovechkin's career on shootouts: 1 for 9
Crosby's career record on shootouts: 1 for 9

they are BOTH highly overated players obviously.
Those are for this season, big guy. Ovechkin made his first 5 or 6 shootout attempts before he goalies adjusted to his move, and he's been trying to find a new one ever since.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
ididitlangway - glad you brought this quote up as I thought the timing was odd given the current situation with Zubrus and the current struggles; interesting to read the more complete quote from Vogel's write-up.
The additional context from Vogel (including Hanlon's caveat) makes the statement more reasonable, but it was still a bit puzzling. And if Russians expect to have linemates for life then Semin has been gravely wronged this year...

Old
02-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Couldn't resist.....I watched very, very closely last night...and damned if I could see a trap.

In the 3rd period right after they showed the clips of the Sharks putting us on our @sses...Bennanati said pretty much word for word a recent description I gave a few days ago of the "style".

It ain't a trap guys.
Bro...its a trap. They dont attack consistently with all three forwards and more often than not chip the puck in and get set up in a 1-2-2.

They TRY to funnel the puck carrier to one direction and limit his option...they just aren't that good at it.

When I see one or two forwards skating backwards everytime the opposition breaks out of its zone (unhindered I might add) then you know its a "lay back and choke the neutral zone" type of game...this no matter what you call it ..is a version of the trap...maybe its not a left wing lock or center lock, but they expect 3 or 4 guys back AT ALL COSTS.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:53 PM
txpd

Quote:
The additional context from Vogel (including Hanlon's caveat) makes the statement more reasonable, but it was still a bit puzzling. And if Russians expect to have linemates for life then Semin has been gravely wronged this year...
I think its worth noting that Hanlon knows what he is talking about in this area. I think its also worth mentioning that there are limits to what he is saying.

Ovechkin plays with Zubrus and Clark and that is his mindset. To put a second line center who is not even an established NHL player just makes no sense.

On the other hand if Zubrus is not on the team or if two of Ovechkin's centers for life are on the team at the same time, Zubrus-Datsyuk, choices have to be made.

On this subject I go with Hanlon who is educated in russian hockey at an intimate level.

Old
02-22-2007, 01:08 PM
HockeyCritter

Generally a good effort (better than we’ve seen in recent weeks) ---- abysmal power play, they are completely over-thinking every move taking a second or two too long to make a play.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:57 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I think everyone including Semin understand that the 2nd line centers we have are not who we want him playing with longterm.