HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Never seen this before.

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2003, 04:37 AM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
Never seen this before.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam031210/nhl_edm2-sun.html

Trade him away and hit him in the wallet at the same time. For $2.5M, I wonder who the mystery player is?

Any thoughts?

Old
12-10-2003, 04:42 AM
Oiltalk

Wow that would be different. If it's true than I'm sure Lowe already has another player in mind from another team if this goes through.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:09 AM
Obsessed

Think big!! Lets guess what Lowe would be able to throw in for cash given the salary savings on Comrie and the strong Canadian dollar. 4-5 Mil? Who is available that K-Lowe would want in that price range for one year? O Niell, Peca? Fun stuff

Old
12-10-2003, 05:25 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Think big!! Lets guess what Lowe would be able to throw in for cash given the salary savings on Comrie and the strong Canadian dollar. 4-5 Mil? Who is available that K-Lowe would want in that price range for one year? O Niell, Peca? Fun stuff
I think in this case it would be someone for more than a year. Probably a defenceman or foward that would get paid a max of $2.5Mill a year, and if we can get rid of Laraque's salary in and way it would be great for the Oil.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:26 AM
Slats432

I think it sounds pathetic, sour grapes, insulting and ridiculous.

You need to pay me $2.5 million dollars for me to trade you.

A sad day if that is true.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:34 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I think it sounds pathetic, sour grapes, insulting and ridiculous.

You need to pay me $2.5 million dollars for me to trade you.

When you put it that way, it almost seems too strange to be true. I NEVER seen anything like this nor can I understand why Winter and Comrie would even agree to it.

Very bizarre.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:36 AM
Seachd

Yeah, this is getting pretty weird...

BUT, because you all asked for it ( ) here's my theory:

Brownlee says a deal was done - Comrie for Perry and a 1st. But then Lowe gets a bright idea. Remember the Barnes article that said the Oilers want Lupul but didn't want to take on his bonuses? Maybe this is his way of getting around it?

This is pretty strange though - charging a player to trade him? I wonder if Ralph Klein is in on this...

Old
12-10-2003, 05:40 AM
Oiltalk

If Obsessed is right about 4 or $5Mill...Gonchar welcome to Edmonton

To me it seems the only way Lowe does the current deal is if this theory is correct. He has stated over and over that he is trying to fulfill both the current and future needs of the organization in any Comrie trade, and obviously Perry and a 1st are for the future. It may be sad the way Lowe is going about it, but if it works I'm not going to bash him about playing his cards right. The job of a GM is to make the team better and help it improve on its journey to the cup, nowhere does it say you can't be ballsy or ruthless in your tenure.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:49 AM
Oylerz

I am surprised by this but Lowe is basically doing to Comrie what Comrie did to Lowe (and the Oilers). He is holding him over a barrel and saying "show me da money" same as Comrie did before he had ever played a single game in Edmonton. I think that Lowe does already have another deal already lined up if this is indeed true, and I for one can't wait to see who it is.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:50 AM
Seachd

Okay, because of the extremely popular response to my first theory ( ) here's my other one:

Perry and a 1st is nowhere near the return Lowe is looking for. He says, "Fine. Comrie's trying to screw me. Murray's trying to screw me. But, in one form or another, I'm getting something of value back." Since he can't ask Comrie for prospects or draft picks, he wants money. Whether it comes from Comrie or Murray, I don't think he cares, but he wants something that adds up to Comrie's full value. An interesting but ballsy move.

Personally, I like my first theory better, and hope it's the case, but my gut tells me the second one is closer to the truth.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:52 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
If Obsessed is right about 4 or $5Mill...Gonchar welcome to Edmonton

To me it seems the only way Lowe does the current deal is if this theory is correct. He has stated over and over that he is trying to fulfill both the current and future needs of the organization in any Comrie trade, and obviously Perry and a 1st are for the future. It may be sad the way Lowe is going about it, but if it works I'm not going to bash him about playing his cards right. The job of a GM is to make the team better and help it improve on its journey to the cup, nowhere does it say you can't be ballsy or ruthless in your tenure.
Let's just say that if our GM is blackmailiing a player that wants to be traded by asking for $2.5 million dollars, I hope there is some legal rule to prevent such a stupid tactic.

This anti-Comrie stuff is turning everyone into a stupid lynch mob, and if these reports are true, my allegience is going to swiftly move from the Lowe camp to the Comrie camp.

If Lowe is asking for the cash from Murray to get a deal done that is one thing, but to ask the player for money?

I think Rich Winter is an idiot. I think Mike Comrie isn't sophisticated enough to come up with all this stuff by himself.

But with this report K-Lowe is doing his best to join Winter in the jackass of the year competition.

This is getting uglier and uglier.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:57 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Let's just say that if our GM is blackmailiing a player that wants to be traded by asking for $2.5 million dollars, I hope there is some legal rule to prevent such a stupid tactic.

This anti-Comrie stuff is turning everyone into a stupid lynch mob, and if these reports are true, my allegience is going to swiftly move from the Lowe camp to the Comrie camp.

If Lowe is asking for the cash from Murray to get a deal done that is one thing, but to ask the player for money?

I think Rich Winter is an idiot. I think Mike Comrie isn't sophisticated enough to come up with all this stuff by himself.

But with this report K-Lowe is doing his best to join Winter in the jackass of the year competition.

This is getting uglier and uglier.
Ya know, maybe it's not even true. I mean, where's the NHLPA in all of this? Goodenow almost popped a vein when the Alberta government wanted to tax the NHLers and give that money back to the Oilers and Flames. Indirectly, the players would be giving a portion of their salaries back to the Oilers. According to this acticle, the Oilers are directly asking Comrie to give them some cash back and we haven't hear anything from the NHLPA (although the day is still young )

Old
12-10-2003, 06:05 AM
Bohologo

Quote:
I think it sounds pathetic, sour grapes, insulting and ridiculous. You need to pay me $2.5 million dollars for me to trade you.
I think it sounds majestic, shrewd, resourceful and astute.

We've been talking draft picks, prospects, and roster players as possible return for Comrie-why not money? The Oilers need cash, and cash is the best asset to get, because it can be turned into many different things: better scouting, a MacT buy out so we can hire Keenan , or to absorb a big-market salary that will help this team now.

Cash today is better than next year's draft pick, tomorrow's prospect, or even some guy wearing mauve & teal. Cash is flexible & instant, and it helps the Oil.

This negotiation is all about business, and this ploy is very good business. Comrie had leverage during the last negotiation, and exercised it well like a good capitalist. Lowe has the leverage now (rights to Comrie, Comrie wants to get out of Dodge), and is applying it like a good capitalist.

I'm surprised at the negative response to Lowe's possible request for cash; it's just another asset in return for Comrie, and it's the best one we could ask for.

Stroke of genius.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:08 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo

We've been talking draft picks, prospects, and roster players as possible return for Comrie-why not money? The Oilers need cash, and cash is the best asset to get, because it can be turned into many different things: better scouting, a MacT buy out so we can hire Keenan , or to absorb a big-market salary that will help this team now.

Cash today is better than next year's draft pick, tomorrow's prospect, or even some guy wearing mauve & teal. Cash is flexible & instant, and it helps the Oil.

This negotiation is all about business, and this ploy is very good business. Comrie had leverage during the last negotiation, and exercised it well like a good capitalist. Lowe has the leverage now (rights to Comrie, Comrie wants to get out of Dodge), and is applying it like a good capitalist.

I'm surprised at the negative response to Lowe's possible request for cash; it's just another asset in return for Comrie, and it's the best one we could ask for.

Stroke of genius.
Cash from the Ducks fine, not from Comrie. That makes no sense.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:08 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:

Stroke of genius.
My thoughts exactly.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:14 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Cash from the Ducks fine, not from Comrie. That makes no sense.
I agree with Dr. van....Ask Murray for a bazillion. Asking Comrie for money is blackmail.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:17 AM
oilswell

Quote:
I'm surprised too since this is just good business, not personal, and Lowe growing into (hopefully) a GM who is better at a trade. I respect slats432's opinion a great deal, but I think he's missing this point, perhaps because he dislikes the spiteful sentiments that seem to rally around such business decisions. Personally, I'm a little tired of the team being on the other end of the business barrel.

But I don't think money is the best asset to get back. I think picks are better, assuming the new CBA does it right and lowers and caps the insane entry contracts.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:20 AM
oilswell

Quote:
I agree with Dr. van....Ask Murray for a bazillion. Asking Comrie for money is blackmail.
In business the term is "negotiation", not "blackmail". He's not threatening to send Laraque to beat up Comrie's grandma.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:26 AM
The Rage

Quote:
As a restrcited free agent, Comrie has no right to ask for a trade, as he's the Oiler's property until he's 31. That might suck for Comrie, but the cba has been very good to the players, and it's only fair that there are some disadvantages for the players as well. Since Comrie is effectively making an unfair demand from Lowe, I don't see why Lowe is not in his right to make an unfair demand back. Comrie has really screwed over the Oilers in many ways. First, he pulled a trick by starting off in college, then going to junior, effectively making him a free agent. He used his free agend leverage to extort a huge contract from Lowe. The Oilers paid willingly, thinking that they'd reap the rewards later. Of course, when it came time to reap the rewards, Comrie demanded a trade. Second, by demanding a trade and refusing to sign a contract with the Oilers, Comrie substanially lowered the Oiler's trade leverage, forcing the Oilers into a situation where there only choice is to trade a valuable asset for some spare parts. Comrie has jacked the Oilers, and I only see it as fair that Lowe is returning the favor.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:30 AM
gpearson1968

Ya Know ..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
As a restrcited free agent, Comrie has no right to ask for a trade, as he's the Oiler's property until he's 31. That might suck for Comrie, but the cba has been very good to the players, and it's only fair that there are some disadvantages for the players as well. Since Comrie is effectively making an unfair demand from Lowe, I don't see why Lowe is not in his right to make an unfair demand back. Comrie has really screwed over the Oilers in many ways. First, he pulled a trick by starting off in college, then going to junior, effectively making him a free agent. He used his free agend leverage to extort a huge contract from Lowe. The Oilers paid willingly, thinking that they'd reap the rewards later. Of course, when it came time to reap the rewards, Comrie demanded a trade. Second, by demanding a trade and refusing to sign a contract with the Oilers, Comrie substanially lowered the Oiler's trade leverage, forcing the Oilers into a situation where there only choice is to trade a valuable asset for some spare parts. Comrie has jacked the Oilers, and I only see it as fair that Lowe is returning the favor.
Ya know, as much as I would have loved to see a player of Comrie's calibre playing for the Oilers, this is just beautiful. Comrie had the oil over a barrel for the last number of years, and took advantage of it. Now, it's his turn. Really kinda poetic to me.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:41 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
He has every right to ask for a trade. That is part of being a free agent, you get to choose where you play. The difference here is that Comrie needs Lowe to grant him that wish.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:45 AM
aki

An interesting and novel position by Lowe. Kind of like a reverse buyout - Comrie gets to buy his way out of the restrictions imposed by the CBA instead of continuing to sit out indefinitely. He could theoretically shift some of that burden back onto Anaheim in any contract he is able to negotiate with them.

Two potential problems though. First, I can see the NHLPA filing a grievance over this and Comrie continuing to sit pending the grievance being heard, which could be a while. Second, the entire free agency system could change in the upcoming CBA, and it is possible that the owners' position in this particular type of case could be weakened in exchange for a gain elsewhere. With the season nearing the halfway point, if Lowe isn't getting what he wants and Comrie is not prepared to fork over the dough, he could potentially sit out the season and see is his bargaining position changes at all depending on what happens with the CBA.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:46 AM
Hockey Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
When you put it that way, it almost seems too strange to be true. I NEVER seen anything like this nor can I understand why Winter and Comrie would even agree to it.

Very bizarre.
Very Strange indeed. So strange that I believe it to be not true. Just rumours and speculation. This Comrie soap opera has been a laughing joke from the beginning. If there's any chance this trade having any merit, I hope it blows up in Lowes face and all trades for Comrie comes off the table. After the new CBA, Comrie will be a free man. The Oil well will have run dry once again!

Old
12-10-2003, 06:48 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
In business the term is "negotiation", not "blackmail". He's not threatening to send Laraque to beat up Comrie's grandma.
EXACTLY! If what Lowe MAYBE doing is blackmail then what Comrie did before he signed his entry level contract was black mail. Pretty similar to say:
"Overpay me or I'll leave"
as to saying
"Pay me what we overpayed you and you can leave"

Pretty damn similar to me.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:51 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mojo
Very Strange indeed. So strange that I believe it to be not true. Just rumours and speculation. This Comrie soap opera has been a laughing joke from the beginning. If there's any chance this trade having any merit, I hope it blows up in Lowes face and all trades for Comrie comes off the table. After the new CBA, Comrie will be a free man. The Oil well will have run dry once again!
How will Comrie be a free man?

Unless the unrestricted free agency drops to 24, Comrie's situation won't be much different if he isn't traded.

Closed Thread