HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Never seen this before.

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2003, 03:54 PM
rabi_sultan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i don't want to read 99 posts but if this is true then all i can say is

LOWE YOUR THE GREATEST

take that MC!

but i doubt its for perry and a first lol must be lupul or someone like that agree with the bonus money theory and also think this IS the best solution on the current situation, you wanna leave fine you pay coz ur inconvenicing us.

Old
12-10-2003, 04:04 PM
camboy

I was listening to Team 1040 in Vancouver at around 4pm today and Taylor and Pratt both praised Kevin Lowe for his request for cash. They also mentioned that Lupul was part of the deal worked out with the Ducks. I for one, would be a little more comfortable with this rumored deal if Lupul was the centerpiece. Lupul and Perry for Comrie? Add the cash and it would be pretty good deal for the Oilers.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:40 PM
Winn

It was only about a month ago that Comrie stated that he would be willing to sign a contract for $500,000 in the first year if it would help speed up some kind of deal to get him traded and playing again. I can only imagine how much Kevin Lowe must have been seething when he heard that, after overpaying for Comries services for 2 1/2 years. When Lowe signed that deal Comrie had the Oilers over a barrel, but he probably figured that Comrie would be in it for the long haul and by the time Comrie was 31 they would have gotten fair value for thier dollar. But now after Comrie plays hard ball with the Oilers and the Oilers have paid too much for Comrie's services, Comrie sets up to give another team a deal. Lowe probably is thinking that if Comrie is willing to sacrifice some personal finances to get playing again, that those finances had better be going to the Oilers organization and not elsewhere. Think about it.... if Comrie signs a contract for typical market value and then gives the Oilers $2.5 million of it, he'd probably end up playing for around $500,000 for the next year or so anyway. Makes sense to me...

Old
12-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Don Smoove

Send a message via MSN to Don Smoove
In the end though, Comrie is an Ass ****.

Old
12-11-2003, 04:24 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Hi Dr. I always enjoy your posts and usually agree with you but I think you are misunderstanding the situation this time. The money Lowe wants (according to reports) is not money little Mikey earned. He wants money because Mike has deliberately lowered his trade value by refusing to play except in certain venues. This has caused GM's on the list to think there is a bargain to be had hence the lousy offer from Anaheim.

If Mike wants out let him buy his way out. If you think about it is actually being a lot fairer than just making him sit for the next 8 years.

Which he could.
You know, I still don't agree with the whole thing and yesterday, my posts were mainly on what I new from a few articles (Brownlee, Matheson). But I can definately see why Lowe whould want to do that. I mean, Winter and Comrie, by flapping their gums have devalued Comrie to level that does make it difficult to trade him.

My main point in all of this is the way the Oilers and Lowe look and the impact this will have on current Oilers. I mean, maybe the players are sick of the whole Comrie fiasco that threy welcome any move that will speed things up. But as Bob MacKenzie said last night on TSN, Lowe will be made out to be the villan in this case. We'll see I guess.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:02 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
If this were the case then some of the fans that are abhored by the tactic would have far less problem with it.

Many people, myself included, think this is a shot to Comrie. One more opportunity to put the screws to him.

If it was solely and exclusively done in the best interest of the team, then it would be palatable. I really don't think it is.
Well, how will we ever know if it was *solely and exclusively* done in the best interest of the team?

In my case, I look at it as Lowe trying to make a VERY poor deal more palatable. Comrie gets to play where he wants, the Ducks don't give up more players than they want, the Oilers get some players and some cash that could be used to pay some other players. Win-win-win!

If Lowe takes the deal WITHOUT the cash, then there would be even more posts on here screaming blue murder and demanding he resign, that the Oilers got screwed, Lowe gave up too soon, got too little, ad inifinitum.

The fact that this news was leaked (you've got to think of who this stands to benefit - hmmm) also speaks volumes about who I throw my support behind.

Besides, there's NO WAY Comrie is thinking about what's best for the Oilers, and Lowe has convinced me over the years that he IS thinking about what's best for the team & organization.

I just consider it a bonus that Comrie gets 'tweaked' here...and maybe Lowe does, too, but I honestly don't think that the 'pay up & you can go to Anaheim' thing was done purely to spite Mike. Like I said, that's just a nice bonus...

Bart

Old
12-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Shizuka

The fact of the matter is, the proposed deal from the Oilers' standpoint as an organization was not fair market value. Whatever "fair market value" consists of, that is a matter of interpretation. I am going to repeat this again:

1.Comrie has an exclusive list of clubs he will sign with and play for. This is restricting Lowe's access to other potential deals, regardless of whether they are substantial or not. It is limiting Lowe's ability to even explore all the various options (see NYI reference below).
2. Comrie's agent Winter decided to take an active hand in determining the fate of his client and where he ends up playing. He whipped this deal up with Murray and offered it to Lowe. Lowe offered a counter to which Murray either said no or just reiterated the previously arranged deal. Because of the aforementioned exclusive list of clubs, Lowe is unable to seek out other options with various teams i.e. the NY Islanders, for example, where the implication is that Comrie gave thumbs down to playing for Milbury.

This, in effect, is a strongarm tactic to try and force Lowe's hand into accepting the Anaheim deal, since a) this is apparently one of the few places where Comrie wants to go, and b) interest in Comrie, according to published reports, has waned, thus making "a" deal with Anaheim the only viable option at that point in time. Lowe did not have input into that particular deal (Perry + 1st) which is why he countered with his own offer. They brought this to him (they being Murray and / or Winter). Murray and the agent agreed to this, without Lowe's input in the process.

Lowe and management did not feel it was fair market value. So, because they felt they were being pushed or forced to accept the deal, Lowe asked the Comrie party for financial remuneration since the Ducks were not going to give it. In other words, if you want to make this happen then ante up. We don't like the deal, we had no input on the return of this deal in particular, and we see no need to take it; however, we'll accept it if you decide to pay up a certain amount for it and thus make it more equitable / palatable for us as an organization.

Winter has tried to force this on the organization, and Lowe took a stand. The organization is not going to be forced into accepting a deal it did not broker or have input into, especially when it considers the return to be poor. Personally, I think most fans would be screaming bloody murder if Perry + 1st did go through. It's an unorthodox approach, for sure, but I do not buy the hype about this being unethical or of low character. This deal was being forced on Lowe, and the Oilers organization. Good for Kevin Lowe in standing up and looking out for the team.

Closed Thread