HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

question about smyth and the trade deadline

Old
02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
nsoilfan

vCash: 500
question about smyth and the trade deadline

if the oilers got a return similar to what forsburg got would you trade him and try signing him in the off season?

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 06:37 PM
nanook

Only if it was Smyth's idea. Otherwise, it's too big a risk.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Only on a few condition:

-We are definetly sellers

-Smyth DEFINETLY agrees to come back, throw in some incentive in there..

-and its to anyone but the Calgary Flames

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Spawn

not if I think the Oilers could sign him, if I don't think they could sign him, then cya later. I don't think its fair to the player, unless he wants it, to be traded, and then expect him to come back.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Nonook

I'd move him under the following two conditions:

1) If the Oilers are sellers and Ryan has the understanding that we want to sign him as a free agent (<=5.5M) this summer. I'd give Ryan the benefit of picking a few contenders he'd like to go to and try to accomodate him.
2) The Oilers are sellers and Ryan wants too much money.

The Oilers can be sellers as early as Sunday afternoon.

Also on the block could be the rest of the UFAs: Sykora, Tjarnquist, Markkanen, Hejda and Nedved. Of the RFAs, I'd also make Peterson and Winchester avaialble.

Nonook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 07:41 PM
vbet*

Yes

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 07:42 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
I love Smyth, but in all honesty he's not the most talented player. He works hard, and has hockey smarts, but has little raw talent. I would trade him if the opportunity arises, and the right return can be found. Maybe try to re-sign him in the summer if he'll sign for a reasonable amount of $

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoilfan View Post
if the oilers got a return similar to what forsburg got would you trade him and try signing him in the off season?
Ideally, I'd love to see that happen. If the Oilers can get close to what Forsberg returned for Smyth I'd jump all over it, even if we couldn't resign him (if Smyth could actually get Parent, Upshall and the 2 picks which I highly doubt would be value of a potential return). I'd love Smyth back and want him resigned but if a for sure deal was in place to ensure Ryan signs back here in the summer and we get a valuable return I'd be all over it.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:08 PM
vb

I only trade Smyth for a knockout return or if the trading partner adds in signficant conditional pick(s) if they resign Smyth. That way you ensure he hits the UFA market.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:20 PM
jadeddog

id be willing to trade him based solely on him wanting a penny more than 5 million season for 3 years.... let alone if the possible return was really good.... smyth simply is not worth more than 5 million/season IMO

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoilfan View Post

Simply: YES!

Do it now KLowe!

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:44 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonook View Post
I'd move him under the following two conditions:

1) If the Oilers are sellers and Ryan has the understanding that we want to sign him as a free agent (<=5.5M) this summer. I'd give Ryan the benefit of picking a few contenders he'd like to go to and try to accomodate him.
2) The Oilers are sellers and Ryan wants too much money.

The Oilers can be sellers as early as Sunday afternoon.

Also on the block could be the rest of the UFAs: Sykora, Tjarnquist, Markkanen, Hejda and Nedved. Of the RFAs, I'd also make Peterson and Winchester avaialble.
How many "If we lose this game we're sellers" games have the Oilers lost already? 5? 10?

Newsflash:

WE'RE SELLERS!!!

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:04 PM
nsoilfan

even though smyth may not be the most skilled guy.....he has that "never give up attitude" and a cup contender would be all over that if they though it would put them over the hump.

nashville thought forsberg is going to put them over the hump....they are going for it this year.

even though i dont want to admit it the oilers are going to be sellers and they should get the best returns they can get.

alot of teams are going to be asking about smyth. also the scary thing is if he becomes a ufa in the summer there will be even more teams knocking at his door.

id like to sign him first and formost but id also like to have the best of both worlds to...get a return for renting him for a few months....then sign him in the summer

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
I can't see the two sides failing to come to terms over the course of the whole season, WHILE Smyth is publicly annoyed with all of the foot-dragging on Lowe's part...Then we cash in on him AND expect him to go through negotiations with us AGAIN during the summer?
If I'm in Smyth's shoes, I hold the hard line: $27M/5 years, or trade me with no little understandings or wink-wink nudge-nudge deals. Loyalty can only be pushed so far.

I predict two more trades and a Smyth signing before the deadline.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:20 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ed 94 View Post
I can't see the two sides failing to come to terms over the course of the whole season, WHILE Smyth is publicly annoyed with all of the foot-dragging on Lowe's part...Then we cash in on him AND expect him to go through negotiations with us AGAIN during the summer?
If I'm in Smyth's shoes, I hold the hard line: $27M/5 years, or trade me with no little understandings or wink-wink nudge-nudge deals. Loyalty can only be pushed so far.

I predict two more trades and a Smyth signing before the deadline.
I couldn't see Kevin Lowe not acquiring a decent defenseman in the Pronger trade and then sitting on his can all year while anyone with a half a brain knew if the Oilers didn't get somebody good back there the season was doomed. But we all know how that turned out.

Last season I would have agreed with you. But nothing surprises me with Lowe anymore. He may be the most stubborn man in hockey; and his stubbornness blinds him to logic and reason.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
I couldn't see Kevin Lowe not acquiring a decent defenseman in the Pronger trade and then sitting on his can all year while anyone with a half a brain knew if the Oilers didn't get somebody good back there the season was doomed. But we all know how that turned out.

Last season I would have agreed with you. But nothing surprises me with Lowe anymore. He may be the most stubborn man in hockey; and his stubbornness blinds him to logic and reason.
My post was a little confusing - my point was that Smyth has probably had enough of Lowe's BS, and will NOT consider being traded as a favour if he has to resume the negotiations in the summer.
I agree with you, Lowe is stubborn. Either that, or he had a lot of confidence in our d-men on the roster, or...there wasn't a deal on the table that would improve our club.

But Smytty has be to feel slighted, and I hope that it doesn't bite us in the butt.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote