HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

NHL.com Junior report...Carey Price Goalie of the Year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2007, 06:07 PM
  #1
shayne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ontario
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
NHL.com Junior report...Carey Price Goalie of the Year

cool as a hab fan to see Price continue to progress, he was also named 2nd in voting for prospect of the league behind Mueller

pretty much untouchable during this nhl tradeline time

i wish Maguire would get off the fact that the habs to price over staal, bourdon or kopitar, at least he stopped talking about the pipskeak Brule

shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:02 PM
  #2
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Well, I think we can all agree that we'd take Kopitar over Price. Especially on this habs team.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:10 PM
  #3
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,982
vCash: 50
well yeah but im not complaining

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
  #4
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??
 
Redwingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Norway
Posts: 19,073
vCash: 500
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
price still hasn't proven anything at the pro level yet. brule has shown that he belongs in the NHL. when he gets ice-time he is a very good player at the NHL level. price has a long way to go before he is a starter for the habs. and there is a chanse that he busts. a lot of great goalie prospects has busted before him.

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:23 PM
  #5
NewGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
price still hasn't proven anything at the pro level yet. brule has shown that he belongs in the NHL. when he gets ice-time he is a very good player at the NHL level. price has a long way to go before he is a starter for the habs. and there is a chanse that he busts. a lot of great goalie prospects has busted before him.
That's a pretty generous description of Brule. He does not look out of place at the NHL level, but it's a stretch to call him "a very good player" at this point. He may reach that level someday, but he isn't there yet.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:33 PM
  #6
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??
 
Redwingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Norway
Posts: 19,073
vCash: 500
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
That's a pretty generous description of Brule. He does not look out of place at the NHL level, but it's a stretch to call him "a very good player" at this point. He may reach that level someday, but he isn't there yet.
when he plays with someone other then jody shelley he is pretty good. its no wonder he doesnt put up points playing with him and getting like 7 min of ice time pr game. imo he dould very well put up around 40-50 points next season if he gets some decent linemates and more icetime. if the draft was re-done brule would have been picked before price imo, but its still very early. anything can happen. especially with goalies.

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 11:00 PM
  #7
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
cool as a hab fan to see Price continue to progress, he was also named 2nd in voting for prospect of the league behind Mueller

pretty much untouchable during this nhl tradeline time

i wish Maguire would get off the fact that the habs to price over staal, bourdon or kopitar, at least he stopped talking about the pipskeak Brule
He won it last year as well as top prospect and mvp and most overrated, as voted by the players, coaches and media.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 11:04 PM
  #8
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
He won it last year as well as top prospect and mvp and most overrated, as voted by the players, coaches and media.
???

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:32 PM
  #9
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,373
vCash: 500
Well, Gilbert Brulé is as much a very good NHL'er than Guillaume Latendresse is a franchise player so far...

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:43 PM
  #10
didjuicythat
@m_desroches
 
didjuicythat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,251
vCash: 500
Well done Carey Price!

I'm so looking forward to see him make his NHL debut. He's my favorite Montreal prospect in a while!

didjuicythat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:49 PM
  #11
dabeechman
Registered User
 
dabeechman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
i wish Maguire would get off the fact that the habs to price over staal, bourdon or kopitar, at least he stopped talking about the pipskeak Brule

I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself...

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:52 PM
  #12
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,481
vCash: 500
link?

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 06:42 PM
  #13
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself...
Well, only the Penguins made a better choice than the Kings so far, and I don't think they could really have missed on this one. And there were LOTS of teams who went with someone else than Kopitar who would have been better with him. And there were much worse picks than Price between Crosby and Kopitar.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 06:54 PM
  #14
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,918
vCash: 500
I don't think anyone would draft Brule over Price at this point. In fact, if anything, I think Price moves up the list a little in that particular draft. What in the world was Minnesota thinking drafting Benoit Pouliot?

Seeing Price play 10+ times already this season, and countless times before, I would say that the guy is nothing less than a #1 NHL goaltender at some point in his career. Would you rather have an overachieving Carey Price or an underachieving Gilbert Brule at this point in time? I'd go with Carey 9 times out of 10, and this is coming from a Blue Jacket fan...

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:26 PM
  #15
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??
 
Redwingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Norway
Posts: 19,073
vCash: 500
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
I don't think anyone would draft Brule over Price at this point. In fact, if anything, I think Price moves up the list a little in that particular draft. What in the world was Minnesota thinking drafting Benoit Pouliot?

Seeing Price play 10+ times already this season, and countless times before, I would say that the guy is nothing less than a #1 NHL goaltender at some point in his career. Would you rather have an overachieving Carey Price or an underachieving Gilbert Brule at this point in time? I'd go with Carey 9 times out of 10, and this is coming from a Blue Jacket fan...
price still hasn't played one game of pro hockey. im not going to say good pick with a goalie until he is a starter in the NHL. to much can happen. there is no safe goalie pick's. there is just to many goalies that has been selected early that has ended up as busts.

dont get me wrong. price was great in the wjc, but he did play for an amazing team. kind of the same story as it was with pogge last year. i know that price had to work more for the wins then pogge did, but the hype for pogge last season was kind of the same situation as this one. and what has pogge done in pro hockey this far (i know he's team is crap). it sure hasn't been as much hype lately.

i still think tuukka rask is the best goalie prospect out there. i dont change my mind just because price was great in one tournament. i know price is playing great for tri-city in the WHL, but Rask is playing better in finland against men.


Last edited by Redwingsfan: 02-24-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:52 AM
  #16
Ryan O'Byrne
Registered User
 
Ryan O'Byrne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 908
vCash: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
price still hasn't played one game of pro hockey. im not going to say good pick with a goalie until he is a starter in the NHL. to much can happen. there is no safe goalie pick's. there is just to many goalies that has been selected early that has ended up as busts.

dont get me wrong. price was great in the wjc, but he did play for an amazing team. kind of the same story as it was with pogge last year. i know that price had to work more for the wins then pogge did, but the hype for pogge last season was kind of the same situation as this one. and what has pogge done in pro hockey this far (i know he's team is crap). it sure hasn't been as much hype lately.

i still think tuukka rask is the best goalie prospect out there. i dont change my mind just because price was great in one tournament. i know price is playing great for tri-city in the WHL, but price is playing better in finland against men.
So price is playing in 2 league's

Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 06:20 AM
  #17
John Druce
Flynt Flossy
 
John Druce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Did I mention that..
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
price still hasn't proven anything at the pro level yet. brule has shown that he belongs in the NHL. when he gets ice-time he is a very good player at the NHL level. price has a long way to go before he is a starter for the habs. and there is a chanse that he busts. a lot of great goalie prospects has busted before him.
Carey Price was all over everyone's **** at the WJC's. I think he is awesome, and a great pick by the Habs. Sure, Kopitar is doing great things with LA, but by drafting Price the Habs were effetively able to have enough confidence in the future of thier goaltending to get rid of Theadore, and his hefty contract. Good pick.

John Druce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 06:34 AM
  #18
John Druce
Flynt Flossy
 
John Druce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Did I mention that..
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
price still hasn't played one game of pro hockey. im not going to say good pick with a goalie until he is a starter in the NHL. to much can happen. there is no safe goalie pick's. there is just to many goalies that has been selected early that has ended up as busts.

dont get me wrong. price was great in the wjc, but he did play for an amazing team. kind of the same story as it was with pogge last year. i know that price had to work more for the wins then pogge did, but the hype for pogge last season was kind of the same situation as this one. and what has pogge done in pro hockey this far (i know he's team is crap). it sure hasn't been as much hype lately.

i still think tuukka rask is the best goalie prospect out there. i dont change my mind just because price was great in one tournament. i know price is playing great for tri-city in the WHL, but price is playing better in finland against men.
There are tons of safe goalie picks. Especially lately, when teams have picked goalies in the top 5. Luongo, Fleury, Lehtonen, and DiPietro are all examples. Now you can add Price to the list.

At the WJC's Tukka Rask looked like a boy playing agains boys. Price looked like a man amongs boys. Just saying.

John Druce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 06:51 AM
  #19
Jeepers Creeper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
At the WJC's Tukka Rask looked like a boy playing agains boys. Price looked like a man amongs boys. Just saying.
In 6 games Canada had a total of 92 penalty minutes, Finland had 197 (the second most penalized team had 140). Not to mention they had play 14 times on 5-on-3 PK. Any goaltender wouldn't have carried that undisciplined Finnish team anywhere near Gold. I think people should focus more on the performance these players have shown in their respective leagues instead of one short tournament. Just saying.


Last edited by Jeepers Creeper: 02-24-2007 at 07:10 AM.
Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 07:22 AM
  #20
slumpy43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY, USA
Country: Canada
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
link:http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=289318

slumpy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 07:36 AM
  #21
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,776
vCash: 500
From the above article:

Quote:
Tri-Cities’ Carey Price was voted the best goaltender, beating out Leland Everett.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 08:35 AM
  #22
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,652
vCash: 500
I'm a Habs fan, so I have to say i'm absolutely thrilled with Price's developement. He routinely faces 35+ shots a game and a lot over 40 as well. He's pretty much been the only reason Tri City is winning lately as he's been first star in almost every game.

I'm not gonna get into the debate about Irving and Price because I haven't seen Irving play all that much. That being said, I think it's better for a goalie to have to face a ton of shots then to get by on 15-20 a game. Everett is a fantastic team but sometimes thats not the best thing for a Goalie...I think Irving will be great, but only time will tell...

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 07:00 PM
  #23
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??
 
Redwingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Norway
Posts: 19,073
vCash: 500
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
There are tons of safe goalie picks. Especially lately, when teams have picked goalies in the top 5. Luongo, Fleury, Lehtonen, and DiPietro are all examples. Now you can add Price to the list.

At the WJC's Tukka Rask looked like a boy playing agains boys. Price looked like a man amongs boys. Just saying.
dont you think calgary felt the same way when they selected krahn with the #8 overall pick and who ever picked brian finley at #5 or 6. they felt that they made a good pick at the time, but they both busted big time.

you cant judge if a player is good from just one tournament. rask was excellent last year, but was on kind of a cold streak in this one. it can happen to anyone. even brodeur and luongo get cold streaks every now and then. im just saying

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 07:01 PM
  #24
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??
 
Redwingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Norway
Posts: 19,073
vCash: 500
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel View Post
In 6 games Canada had a total of 92 penalty minutes, Finland had 197 (the second most penalized team had 140). Not to mention they had play 14 times on 5-on-3 PK. Any goaltender wouldn't have carried that undisciplined Finnish team anywhere near Gold. I think people should focus more on the performance these players have shown in their respective leagues instead of one short tournament. Just saying.
i agree. and overall rask has just been better then price this season.

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 03:55 AM
  #25
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
when he plays with someone other then jody shelley he is pretty good. its no wonder he doesnt put up points playing with him and getting like 7 min of ice time pr game. imo he dould very well put up around 40-50 points next season if he gets some decent linemates and more icetime. if the draft was re-done brule would have been picked before price imo, but its still very early. anything can happen. especially with goalies.
one thing confuses me about your reasoning...
if Brule is such a good player, right now, why then is he only getting 7 min of ice time per game with the likes of Shelley on a team that is one of the worst in the league?

there are several young players his age (or close to it) on better teams that have nonetheless earned more minutes and better line assignements than he has (latendresse, staal, kopitar, bernier, radulov, perry... and I'm sure a few others).
I heard on the radio today that Brule showed up to camp out of shape, and that was likely why he played so poorly to start the season.
In any event, if he can't get more than 7 min/game playing for Columbus, than clearly he's not yet a good NHL player... stats don't show everything, but 13 points (6 on the PP) and -18 is not too hot.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.