HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Cassidy officially canned

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2003, 02:35 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
Also....everything Cassidy said was in the locker room and should have stayed in the locker room. The players or player leaked the story to Jason Lacanfora and he wrote the article....to me its a sign of the players doing their part to rid themselves of the coach. Its not the right way but I think they had finally had enough.

Personally....I gald the tool is gone. He started last season benching Sutherby in the playoffs (after he was being a factor in the first two games getting under Tampa's skin) and then the benching of Calle (which didnt particually bother me but still....the team was effected)

He wasnt doing anything worthwhile to keep his job...

Plus...I really like Hanlon...great motivator and team guy. He will actually talk to the players during practice and during the game and not just stand there looking....well...whatever Cassidy was trying to look like.

Old
12-10-2003, 02:39 PM
txpd

i think the real point is that cassidy was tactless and classless all the time. he was getting progressively out of hand. a sign that he was cracking under the pressure. if you knew what was happening on the inside, you might find that he was ripping his assistant coaches and having violent arguments with McPhee as well.

cassidy has been a loose cannon all along. anyone that is a regular at practice knows that. he treats people brutally. he has a very quick and sharp temper. you don't last long like that in any business as a manager.
Keenan has won, but still has a very short shelf life.
Keenan has learned to handle the pressure to some degree. Cassidy was Keenan without the wins and without the skill. Like Keenan, Cassidy is just plain mean.

Old
12-10-2003, 02:47 PM
txpd

benching of Calle (which didnt particually bother me but still....the team was effected.

Frankly this may have been the major issue. You can see the effect.
how much better would the Caps be with Johansson and Klee on defense? Klee settling Gonchar and Calle teaching Eminger the ropes.
That leaves Witt to play with either Doig or Kiwi. thats a lot better than where they are now. Calle left because of the benching and there is evidence that Klee and Konowalchuk are gone for the same reason.

Cassidy benched Johansson, who while not a physical player, was a warrior that the players all respected. A player playing in great pain that all the players knew about. It was a 3 OT elimination game and Cassidy sat a 20:00 defenseman down and relied on two of his former AHL players in GR. The Caps lost the game. Strangely enough on a penalty that caused at least in part by Doig and on a goal scored with both Doig and Kiwi on the ice.

You had to ask the question. the first segment of a penalty kill in season sudden death overtime with the face off in your zone and you start the PK with Doig and Kwiatkowski on the ice. Thats enough to infuriate any veteran player.

I dont think Cassidy every recovered from that.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:43 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I think the big problem was they hired Cassidy (or they were looking for a "player's coach" and hired him) to be a "player's coach" but he ended up being the opposite.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Glad to see him gone. This guy was in over his head as an NHL coach and his comments about the player's family situation was clearly out of line and a sign he was clearly desparate.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:55 AM
NJD Jester

Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by jincargo
The players or player leaked the story to Jason Lacanfora.
Please refer to him by his given name: The Worst Hockey Writer in America

<JESTER>

Closed Thread