HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other GM's asking for Horcoff

Old
02-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Other GM's asking for Horcoff

Darren Dreger said during the first intermission of tonights Sharks/Caps game that the Oilers have yet to decide if they'll be buyers or sellers, but said a lot of other GM's have been asking Kevin Lowe about Shawn Horcoff. Before the majority of you start rioting Dreger also stated that the price would be very high. My guess as to what Lowe would ask for would be a 1st, a 3rd, and a high end prospect. I would also guess Montreal would be the team most interested so maybe something like a 1st, a 4th, and Komisarek(I know he's not a prospect, but still a promising young d-man). If it was Atlanta, maybe there 1st, Coburn and Bourret with us throwing in a guy like Winchester.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:35 PM
PunjabiOil*

You trade Horcoff - the return better be good. We finally found a first line center - one must be coming the way back (high end prospect)

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Oilerdiehard

Prospects and picks? That would make us not sellers but more like entering a 4 or 5 full blown rebuild.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:37 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Prospects and picks? That would make us not sellers but more like entering a 4 or 5 full blown rebuild.
Yup. If we send him off for anyone who isn't at least 23 and very close to taking the jump, then this team may as well send off Moreau, Staios, Gator, Smyth and Roli as well.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Actually you would just use the cap room to either replace him with a more elite guy(like Briere, Gomez) or you use the money elsewhere like on the blueline.....OR you use those picks and propsects that you get which will be so very much more valuable on draft day to help get an elite player.

Old
02-21-2007, 08:40 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Actually you would just use the cap room to either replace him with a more elite guy(like Briere, Gomez) or you use the money elsewhere like on the blueline.....OR you use those picks and propsects that you get which will be so very much more valuable on draft day to help get an elite player.
Are we really that much better off if we have to spend $6,000,000 on a huge Briere deal?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Are we really that much better off if we have to spend $6,000,000 on a huge Briere deal?
All I said was that it was an option.....I think you guys are overrating Horcoff a tad by saying that he's the end all be all of this team. If they felt that Stoll was healthy it's not exactly a bad time to deal him. BUT ONLY IF HE'LL BE HEALTHY.

Old
02-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
I wouldn't mind Drury, but Briere IMO i would say not, i would rather take Horcoff than Briere, Horcoff is simple more complete, and Briere dives...

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:47 PM
melubsdonna

and Briere dives.... LOOOL. not that i disagree, but that was funny.

melubsdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Well, I never considered Horcoff to be a true #1 Center, so yeah, I'd trade him for a sure-fire prospect or two, assuming Stollie comes back healthy from his noggin bumps.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:53 PM
NMK

What everyone else is saying about Stoll being healthy, trade Horc.

Pouliot looks great, we've got Brodziak, Reasoner, and Peterson to take up the other 3 spots. Even better if we get a young center back.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
I am not sure Briere would do well in the tighter West. I do think we would be a lot better with a 5 million Gomez though. I think he will be a 60+ assist guy for the next 5 years.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

For everyone saying lets trade Stoll, let me ask you this, is Stoll ready for 1st line duties Defensively?? I dont think so, not quite, i would rather fine-tune that department then consider trading Horcoff, i honestly believe trading him would be stupid, he's a great ES player, great PP player, good on the PK, i have no idea why we would trade him, yes he isn't as flashy as other #1 centers, nor does he have the name, but this guy is a #1 Center, i have no idea what else you could have asked for, more points, Definetly, but i think we will get more once Hemsky starts to Mature even more, i do think we keep him, trading him would mean a full fledge 3-4 year Rebuild, which would suck!

Old
02-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I really am shocked whenever I bring up dealing Horcoff....don't get me wrong, I do like the guy, but I would think most of you would see that Stoll could be the 1st line centre as well, and that Pouliot is looking capable of being a 2nd or 3rd line centre next season. Combine those details with the cap room that would be saved, the return he would get us, and the fact that he has never produced without Smyth and Hemsky....I just don't see it as blowing up the team if he's dealt. Now if one of two things happend: 1) Stoll doesn't recover from PCS or 2) if we can't re-sign Smyth. If either of those two things happend then I'm with the rest of you, but Stoll is healthy, and Smyth is re-signed I don't think it's a bad play at all. But I personally don't think Lowe will move him.

Old
02-21-2007, 08:59 PM
JonQuixote

It would really suck to trade Horcoff; he's one of the team's heartbeats. If we can get a top-4 defenseman, or a guy who looks like he's ready to make the jump & something else juicy, then I think we have to consider it.

But for prospects and picks? Eff that.

With Pittsburgh looking like they could be a serious buyer in the next week or so, and eyeing guys like Smolinski, I wouldn't mind seeing if we could pry a guy like Welch away from them for anything we have.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
For everyone saying lets trade Stoll, let me ask you this, is Stoll ready for 1st line duties Defensively?? I dont think so, not quite, i would rather fine-tune that department then consider trading Horcoff, i honestly believe trading him would be stupid, he's a great ES player, great PP player, good on the PK, i have no idea why we would trade him, yes he isn't as flashy as other #1 centers, nor does he have the name, but this guy is a #1 Center, i have no idea what else you could have asked for, more points, Definetly, but i think we will get more once Hemsky starts to Mature even more, i do think we keep him, trading him would mean a full fledge 3-4 year Rebuild, which would suck!
Was there not talk on here not that long ago about how Stoll was the best 3rd line centre in hockey, and how he should be a Selke candidate??? I would say that people think he's pretty DAMN good defensivly! And Horcoff isn't a great PP player, if he was he would always be on our 1st unit.

Old
02-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Was there not talk on here not that long ago about how Stoll was the best 3rd line centre in hockey, and how he should be a Selke candidate??? I would say that people think he's pretty DAMN good defensivly! And Horcoff isn't a great PP player, if he was he would always be on our 1st unit.
don't quote me on this, but i thought he was on our 1st unit.....lol

and dont get me wrong, Stoll is a damn good center, but i would rather take it slow then dumping him in the 1st line center, finding out he cant handle it, and screwing around looking for a 1st line center....JMO...

Old
02-21-2007, 09:04 PM
TorontoWingsFan

Sorry for the off topic, but is Torres being shopped too?

TorontoWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
don't quote me on this, but i thought he was on our 1st unit.....lol

and dont get me wrong, Stoll is a damn good center, but i would rather take it slow then dumping him in the 1st line center, finding out he cant handle it, and screwing around looking for a 1st line center....JMO...
I honestly don't know if Stoll was ever used with Sykora and Hemsky, or with Smyth and Lupul or Smyth and Pisani on our 1st line....but I know he's never been used with Smyth and Hemsky which is our 1st line, no matter what's gone on this season. I kind of believe that most of the fans on here forget that heading into last season not a lot of people thought Horcoff and Stoll were a good combo to have down the middle and look how they turned out. I have faith in Stoll carrying the load of 1st line centre, and I have faith in Pouliot being a 2nd or 3rd line centre(a UFA possibly filling one of the spots that Pouliot doesn't). I do KNOW this, having to find a quality centre is a hell of a lot easier at the deadline then having to find a #1 d-man!

Old
02-21-2007, 09:09 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoWingsFan View Post
Who knows what goes on in the back-rooms, but I don't know that any of our signed or impending-RFA players are/would be actively shopped right now.

Torres's name has come up in many a trade rumor all year. But so have Pitkanen, Khabibulin, Zherdev...so take that for what you will.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoWingsFan View Post
I don't think he's being shopped unless it's for a stud d-man.....he's the type of talent that will always get interest though. He's the type of guy I would be all over if I was Ken Holland

Old
02-21-2007, 09:14 PM
jcoldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
You trade Horcoff - the return better be good. We finally found a first line center - one must be coming the way back (high end prospect)
Please explain to me how Horcoff is a number 1 center? He struggled all season without playing with Hemsky and Smyth. To me that means that he need Hemsky and Smyth to actually be a good hockey player, where if he were a true #1 center then he wouldn't care who he had as linemates, as Horcoff would make those players better, not the other way around.

jcoldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:19 PM
21Gator*

Please Kevin Lowe. Unsaddled us of this burden. Free MacT to use Toby Petersen as our first line center. (jk)

I would listen very hard to any offers.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Rafters

Horcoff and Smith for Getzlaf
Horcoff and Smyth for Getzlaf and Penner

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Matts

I think it would be a great move

Shawn Horcoff is junk and he's been junk every year he's played and last year he got owned by Joe Thornton.

Plus, I heard it was Horcoff who told Lowe to make that stupid Pronger trade and then play Smid, Bergeron and Greene in the top six dmen.

What a dummy Horcoff is.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote