HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Capitals fire Cassidy

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2003, 06:47 AM
ranold26
Registered Loser

vCash: 500
Capitals fire Cassidy

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=63832

Old
12-10-2003, 06:53 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

that's step 1

Old
12-10-2003, 06:56 AM
txpd

butch cassidy meets his bolivia

glen hanlon hired for the rest of the season.

Old
12-10-2003, 07:08 AM
Takeo

Well I guess if you can't technically "fire" Jagr, that's the next best thing.

Old
12-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Well I guess if you can't technically "fire" Jagr, that's the next best thing.
McPhee HAD to fire Cassidy in order to save his job if only short-term. The comments Cassidy has been making really irritated and offended players and their wives - he totally lost all his respect in the player's eyes.

The owner will now evaluate McPhee. My guess is he will be gone around the All-Star break and Keenan brought in to be GM and coach. It is only a hunch but Keenan would be the guy to bring in and clean house and to motivate.

Old
12-10-2003, 07:35 AM
punchy1

Cassidy were bloody rotten and now they need to help McPhee out of the door and then the *healing* can begin.

Old
12-10-2003, 09:10 AM
BrianBurke

Cassidy put the final nail in his own coffin with those dumb comments about the player's families.
You just don't do that.
If there wasn't a mutiny afoot before that, I'm sure the players were planning one after.

No surprise at all that he's gonzo.

Old
12-10-2003, 09:13 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
Cassidy was not the only problem in that room, but that did not make him any less an incompetent head coach. It's a start. Next step will be to unload some of the long-time veterans like Kolzig, Bondra, Halpern and hand the team over to some of the kids. There are no quick solutions, but the team should be in good shape in another couple of years.

Old
12-10-2003, 09:16 AM
BrianBurke

Maybe George McPhee ought to be following Cassidy out that door. Far as I'm concerned, he inherited a team good enough to make a surprise Cup run, and then proceeded to slowly wreck it.

I agree it's time to retool, and the names you mentioned are probably the right ones.

Old
12-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Malefic74

So my question to all Caps followers is this, do you make any of these rumoured deals, or do you wait and see how the team reacts to a new coach behind the bench?

Old
12-10-2003, 09:41 AM
BrianBurke

Not a Caps fan, but if I were, I'd say quietly start looking at deals, but consider pulling the bigger ones near the trade deadline. The Caps have a lot of older guys that would be great additions to a playoff bound team. In the meantime, you can have a look and see how the team reacts to the new bench boss.
But even if they play great, the roster still looks like it needs an overhaul. Might as well start soon.

Old
12-10-2003, 09:47 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
Well, taking a snapshot, you're 30 games into the season, tied for last place in the league, you just fired your coach, your locker room is a mess... and Alexander Ovechkin is waiting on deck.

I blow it up, myself. As stated, there is a right time to pull the trigger, and the deadline will be the right moment for a lot of these guys, Kolzig among them. There is a rumor that if the Ducks can't swing Tucker for Vishnevski, then a Bondra for Vishnevski deal might be worked out in the new year, which would be fantastic value for Washington, in my opinion. So it behooves the Caps to wait for the right deals, but not for the reasons implied. Wait for value to peak, don't wait out of the hope that the team improves.

The key, as always, will be whether Sather decides to trade for Jagr. If that happens, the Caps can keep Lang and Gonchar, but if not I think they have to look for the best possible return from Detroit for Lang. At his current production clip, he's not a salary dump. Jagr is a dump. I don't care what the return is from New York, provided it does not make much money or for very long. I just know that without payroll room, Jagr cannot be surrounded with a suitable supporting cast. Hopefully there is payroll room for Gonchar after all is said and done. They would like to keep him.

Quite honestly, the Caps entered this season with only two defensemen, and never had a prayer of contention from the start. You just don't win without defense, no matter how potent the offensive stars.

Old
12-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by btmarshall
Well, taking a snapshot, you're 30 games into the season, tied for last place in the league, you just fired your coach, your locker room is a mess... and Alexander Ovechkin is waiting on deck.

I blow it up, myself. As stated, there is a right time to pull the trigger, and the deadline will be the right moment for a lot of these guys, Kolzig among them. There is a rumor that if the Ducks can't swing Tucker for Vishnevski, then a Bondra for Vishnevski deal might be worked out in the new year, which would be fantastic value for Washington, in my opinion. So it behooves the Caps to wait for the right deals, but not for the reasons implied. Wait for value to peak, don't wait out of the hope that the team improves.

The key, as always, will be whether Sather decides to trade for Jagr. If that happens, the Caps can keep Lang and Gonchar, but if not I think they have to look for the best possible return from Detroit for Lang. At his current production clip, he's not a salary dump. Jagr is a dump. I don't care what the return is from New York, provided it does not make much money or for very long. I just know that without payroll room, Jagr cannot be surrounded with a suitable supporting cast. Hopefully there is payroll room for Gonchar after all is said and done. They would like to keep him.

Quite honestly, the Caps entered this season with only two defensemen, and never had a prayer of contention from the start. You just don't win without defense, no matter how potent the offensive stars.
Fully agree. If you're going to lose, lose young.

Old
12-10-2003, 10:15 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Fully agree. If you're going to lose, lose young.
And cheap!

Oh, this is interesting as hell, as a potential partner for Eminger:

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=87588

Old
12-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBurke
Cassidy put the final nail in his own coffin with those dumb comments about the player's families.
You just don't do that.
If there wasn't a mutiny afoot before that, I'm sure the players were planning one after.

No surprise at all that he's gonzo.
What are these comments about? I must ahve missed what happned, can someone give me a synopsis?
Thanks

Old
12-10-2003, 10:28 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Quote:
And cheap!

Oh, this is interesting as hell, as a potential partner for Eminger:

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=87588
The Caps could use him. I don't think he played particularly well down the stretch last season, but he'd be a upgrade over at least 3 starting D on the Caps' blue line, as well as being a great mentor for the youngsters.

Here's hoping that Hanlon's ties with Portland will deal a serious blow to the Grand Rapids Mafia.

Old
12-10-2003, 10:29 AM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
What are these comments about? I must ahve missed what happned, can someone give me a synopsis?
Thanks
Cassidy Comments

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=34006

Old
12-10-2003, 10:30 AM
txpd

Quote:
Cassidy was not the only problem in that room, but that did not make him any less an incompetent head coach. It's a start. Next step will be to unload some of the long-time veterans like Kolzig, Bondra, Halpern and hand the team over to some of the kids. There are no quick solutions, but the team should be in good shape in another couple of years.
You really believe that? good shape in another couple of years?
with those players gone and replaced by players that are not well established in the NHL already or draft picks, this team is WAY more than a couple of years away from being competitive. Jagr is not staying. Move Kolzig, Bondra and Halpern...why not throw in Witt.
Whats left? Zubrus, Gonchar and Grier and a bunch of players that should be in the AHL. In three seasons the bulk of the Caps roster would be under 23. There is NO CHANCE that the Capitals would be competitive, much less in good shape, in a couple of seasons.

If you want to dump all the long time Caps, thats fine. But the rebuild time will be more like 5 years to be a playoff threat and a good bit more to being a threat to do anything else.

Its possible that a salary cap could redistribute quality mid range players much more easily throughout the NHL. That could help the rebuild.

To me it makes a lot more sense to keep Kolzig in goal, Witt and Gonchar on defense, and Lang, Bondra and Zubrus as forwards.
That gives the team a foundation to rebuild around. What you seem to be suggesting is rebuilding around Ouellet, Eminger-Yonkman, Semin-Sutherby-Gordon. rebuild around a veteran foundation with those players can work. Using those players as the foundation is a VERY long wait.

Old
12-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Tinordi24*

First my friend BtMarshall makes good points 90% of the time but I sense he is actually in favor of Old slow Soft Euro Johansson making a positive impact on this team. Calle's best days are behind him and he is very slow and most likely badly out of shape. The Caps dont need him coming anywhere near the team. He has always had a soft spot for soft players and coaches! LOL

As far as the coach, Hanlon favors more of a physical game so hopefully the team will stand up for each other more and develop unity.

As far as trades, I'd say get them done sooner rather than later if you can. If the Caps wait til the deadline they may end up having to keep a couple of those guys and that wont help with any rebuilding or salary cap situation.

They should tank the season and make certain they get a top 3 pick and the sooner they let some of these top heavy vets go the better they will be b/c there is no way they are cup contenders with this AHL defense they have.

Old
12-10-2003, 10:52 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
Good shape in another two years? Yes.

Cup contender, no, not yet.

Last in the league, however? No. Also much younger, more affordable, and building in the right direction.

The core of the Caps team right now is aging and overpaid, and has a poisonous locker room. Management is steadily rebuilding with youth. They will be continuing that process. In another couple of years, draft picks, prospects, and young players acquired in return for veterans will be the core of the team.

Like it or not, the mandate from Leonsis to slash payroll so that losses are not so dire make this inevitable. The team does not operate in a vacuum, distinct from the owner's wishes. Now sure, I'd like it if the Caps were prepared to stomach a payroll of $60 million, but they aren't, and that's the simple truth. Smaller payroll means they need to unload the top-heavy salaried players for younger players.

EDIT: And on Calle Johansson, he would be nice to have for one or maybe two years as a mentor for Eminger, and a player to insert into the lineup so that you don't have as many of the AHL bodies on the blueline as has been the case the last two seasons.

That you, tinner?

Old
12-10-2003, 11:13 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBurke
Not a Caps fan, but if I were, I'd say quietly start looking at deals, but consider pulling the bigger ones near the trade deadline. The Caps have a lot of older guys that would be great additions to a playoff bound team. In the meantime, you can have a look and see how the team reacts to the new bench boss.
But even if they play great, the roster still looks like it needs an overhaul. Might as well start soon.
what is your definition of "older guys"? what is your definition of "a lot"??

Bondra is the only "older player" in my book. He is the only guy too old to feel good about signing him to a 3 year contract. The Caps have 1 player older than 35, Bondra. The Caps have Jagr, Lang, and Kolzig that are over the age of 30. Is that a lot?

Old
12-10-2003, 11:25 AM
txpd

needs an overhaul. what is your definition of overhaul?

two seasons ago the defense was 7 veteran players. All defensemen that were at one time no worse than #3-4 defensemen at one time.
Johansson, Reekie, Witt, Gonchar, Klee, Cote, Zettler.

Now...its Witt, Gonchar and 5 defensemen without a full NHL season of experience. Doesn't That sound like the overhaul is already well in progress?

Two seasons ago the Caps a forward unit full of veterans. There was not a rookie on the roster. Dainius Zubrus was the young prospect on the team.

Now...the Caps dress rookies Pettinger, Semin, Gordon along with second year player Sutherby, plus guys like Ciernik, Willsie, and Peat
that have not played a full season in the NHL yet. Zubrus is now one of the developed established group of players. Doesn't that sounds like the overhaul has been underway for some time?

You guys post like this team needs to be torn down. It has been torn down already. Thats where the Caps went from perinial playoff team full of veterans and allstars to a team with a couple of allstars that is full of rookies and AHL players.

Old
12-10-2003, 11:47 AM
BrianBurke

Don't confuse the words 'rebuilding' with 'overhaul'... there's a subtle difference... rebuilding to me means going entirely with youth and writing off any chances of winning in the immediate future. Overhaul means changes are needed, but not necessarily a complete tear-down.

The Caps have a lot (yes, I stand by that) of older guys.

There's Jagr (31-years-old), who obviously could and should fetch a couple of good youngsters in a trade.

There's Lang (33-years-old), who is playing way over his head at the moment. His trade value has never been higher.

There's Kolzig (33-years-old), who, come playoff time could be a very marketable fellow for any team looking for playoff goaltending (unlike
Cujo, he does have a Stanley Cup finals appearance on the resume).

There's Bondra (35-years-old), who has a proven track record as a goal scorer in this league.

There's Kip Miller (34-years-old), who doesn't have much trade value, but could go to a playoff team as a depth addition.

There's Mikael Nylander (31-years-old), who is currently injured, but is, from what I understand, due back in the not too distant future. He is a crafty playmaker who might interest some teams.

There's John Gruden (33-years-old), a career minor leaguer, but seeing as how we're counting the 30+ group on the Caps, he fits.

That's seven players in the 30-and-up group on a team that's on teh slow road to nowhere... btw... Gonchar, born in 1974... making him 29... very close to joining the 30+ group.

All I'm saying is these players should be turned into players that will be more useful when the Caps move into contender status again.

Old
12-10-2003, 12:15 PM
txpd

well...i am sorry about forgetting gruden and miller. they are forgettable.
you think gonchar is in the old catagory?

if players that are 32 and 33 are too old to be of value when the rebuild has reached competitive stature again, then you are agreeing that it takes 5 years or more.

its only my opinion, but i don't believe the Capitals will be around if they are a none contending for the playoffs team for the next 5 years.

most adults are busy people and don't have the time or the money to spend what little they have on a team in training wheels trying to learn how to play the game in the bottom 5 of the NHL.

Old
12-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
Thanks
Anyone have any idea who the player was that was going to challenge Coach if he didn't apologize to the backup 'tender?

Closed Thread