HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schremp

Old
02-21-2007, 11:36 PM
*M*J*D*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to *M*J*D*
Schremp

He missed another game tonight, I'm not sure if he was a healthy scratch, or has an injury that I missed, but maybe he's going somewhere in a deal.

On a sidenote, Brodziak returned and scored a goal.

*M*J*D* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:56 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
Boil should be here shortly to fill us in

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 06:42 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
There is no middle ground with Schemp either you love him or hate him

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 06:42 AM
Rin

According to the Wilkes Barre GDT thread, he was a healthy scratch.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 07:01 AM
OilerOlli*

MAP and Jacques not even at the club, but Schremp is a helathy scratch...that says something...

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 07:35 AM
MisterD

vCash: 50
to me it seems that Schremp's under production can be attributed to his immaturity, the playing time he gets, as well as developing under a different team's system.

MisterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Lowetide

Since 1994, here are the Oilers 1st round forward picks who've played in the AHL at 20 and their point-per-game numbers in that season:

Riesen .822
Kelly .792
Bonsignore .692
Pouliot .692
Schremp .646
Rita .553
Henrich .205

It tells us 2 things: the really good impact forwards didn't play in the AHL at age 20 (Hemsky and Smyth were in the NHL), and that the last generation of Oilers prospects who did all died on the vine.

I suspect Pouliot and Schremp are way better than the rest of this list.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 08:25 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
Since 1994, here are the Oilers 1st round forward picks who've played in the AHL at 20 and their point-per-game numbers in that season:

Riesen .822
Kelly .792
Bonsignore .692
Pouliot .692
Schremp .646
Rita .553
Henrich .205

It tells us 2 things: the really good impact forwards didn't play in the AHL at age 20 (Hemsky and Smyth were in the NHL), and that the last generation of Oilers prospects who did all died on the vine.

Interesting stuff, all I can say is I sure hope they are better then the rest on that list.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Boilers*

Quote:

Riesen .822
Kelly .792
Bonsignore .692
Pouliot .692
Schremp .646
Rita .553
Henrich .205

It also says (probably due to the CBA) we're not as desperate to throw a Comrie to the wolves before he develops. Next year Cogliano would make the team if history were to repeat itself.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:09 AM
jnewton91

A couple things to keep in mind: Kennedy and Brodziak were both coming back from injuries yesterday (ppg producers in the stretch before they went down), Thorburn was sent down from the Penguins for a conditioning sting, and Tyler Spurgeon looks like he's making it really hard to send him back to Stockton (scored his first AHL goal in the last game on the weekend). If this healthy scratch goes on for more than a game then I'll start to be concerned, but he's been sat for a game a couple times this season already. If this is part of the learning process for him, then so be it.

jnewton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 10:24 AM
OilerOlli*

Quote:

Riesen .822
Kelly .792
Bonsignore .692
Pouliot .692
Schremp .646
Rita .553
Henrich .205

Have to agree, but don't forget Horcoff (although he was no 1st rounder). I guess he was playing with 21 or 22 first time in the AHL before hew ade it with the Oilers...and now he is our #1 Center.
To play with 20 in the AHL is ok, imo. But when they are want to become good NHL Player they should immediataly make an impact in the AHL. And even then it is not sure if they are good enough for the NHL, as your examples showed.
Schremps points so far are disapointing for my taste. And also it seems that he still has big problems with skating and defensive play...

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Fishy McScales

Horcoff was never as touted as Schremp, and I also think Horcoff has far better character. Schremp is the kind of player who is supposed to cover his poor defense with some good numbers. He doesn't. I'm not surprised, though, and I think perhaps he should have been dealt before making it to the AHL, when his OHL numbers still did him credit.

Fishy McScales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Bauer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
Have to agree, but don't forget Horcoff (although he was no 1st rounder). I guess he was playing with 21 or 22 first time in the AHL before hew ade it with the Oilers...and now he is our #1 Center.
To play with 20 in the AHL is ok, imo. But when they are want to become good NHL Player they should immediataly make an impact in the AHL. And even then it is not sure if they are good enough for the NHL, as your examples showed.
Schremps points so far are disapointing for my taste. And also it seems that he still has big problems with skating and defensive play...
You know I somewhat agree with that, but I will always question how this type of player is being handled. He has a +4 rating, so its not like he is getting walked all over. I have not seen many of the games, but that few that I have watched, makes me think that he is struggling between trying to create and trying to protect. He is not a puck carrying type of player, and is much more like Sykora. The games that I have watched him play, his linemates were not suited for his playing style.

Personally, I question if he was on a different farm team that did not have the Oilers type philosophy, how he would be doing. If he played for Detroit, what would his numbers be like. From all reports it seems that his defence play and work ethic is costing him, but for once, I would not mind if we gave our offensive players some special treatment. Let them develop themselves into stars, then fix the defensive end of the rink. I worry that by sending him down to work on his defence only, that you begin to change the player we drafted. As MacT said, if it was just his skating, the best play to work on that is the NHL. I look at a guy like Thoresen playing on our team right now, and I really question how much better he would do then if Schremp had spent the year up.

Bauer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 10:51 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Terrible, this was the guy we, prematurely, annointed "blue chip" status? At the moment he isn't playing like a blue chipper. I still think he'll be an NHL player but, unfortunately, he still has a long road to go.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Bryanbryoil

Well he started out with 14 points in his first 15 games, and then from that point he was demoted to lower lines. Coincidence that his production dropped??? If he were on a poor team and was their top 1 or 2 options, IMO there'd be no reasons why he wouldn't be at a PPG. Fact is that coach Richards (like Mac-T) doesn't accept less than stellar defense. I suspect that if MAP in his AHL rookie season were in WBS this year that he'd be treated similarly. If you don't believe me check out the kids +/- from his rookie year. It's frustrating, but Schremp has by all accounts improved by a mile in terms of defensive play, backchecking, etc. from the start of teh season. That said, the points still aren't coming. That said every WBS player not named MAP, JFJ, Gilbert, Kennedy, and Brodziak have struggled offensively of late. So it's not just Robbie in that boat. However it still blows that he still doesn't appear to be progressing as fast as many of us would like with more than 1/2 of the season over.

02-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
Horcoff was never as touted as Schremp, and I also think Horcoff has far better character. Schremp is the kind of player who is supposed to cover his poor defense with some good numbers. He doesn't. I'm not surprised, though, and I think perhaps he should have been dealt before making it to the AHL, when his OHL numbers still did him credit.
Horcoff came off of 4 years in college with a very good Michigan State team with a very good head coach. Comparing him in his AHL rookie season when he was 21 or 22against a 20 year old from junior IMO is a bit un-fair. That said, the majority of hype for Horcoff was spewed by me and a few others (Matts) on Oilfans.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Interesting stuff, all I can say is I sure hope they are better then the rest on that list.
Pretty safe to say that MAP is already >>>>> than the rest of those guys on that list with the possible future exception of Schremp. The rest of thos guys did NOTHING when they had NHL opportunities around teh same age as Pouliot is now or even older for that matter.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Fishy McScales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Horcoff came off of 4 years in college with a very good Michigan State team with a very good head coach. Comparing him in his AHL rookie season when he was 21 or 22against a 20 year old from junior IMO is a bit un-fair. That said, the majority of hype for Horcoff was spewed by me and a few others (Matts) on Oilfans.
Yes, I agree. What I meant was that I don't predict Schremp to go on a journey to our first line in the same manner that Horcoff did. In fact, I don't expect Schremp to make that journey at all. He's more the Alexandre Daigle kind in my eyes, although I wouldn't mind if he proved me wrong.

Fishy McScales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Hey did anyone watch the NHL Network last night? They showed a WBS game where JFJ scored 4 goals, and Schremp and Gilbert were playing... I knew it couldn't be live cause of course Gilbert played in Ottawa the night before with the Oilers. It was kinda funny cause WBS was playing the Sens too.

Does anyone know when that game was played? Funny side note too: 3 Penguins have had hat tricks in Wilkes-Barre this year... all Oilers prospects - JFJ MAP and Brodziak

02-22-2007, 12:43 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Hey did anyone watch the NHL Network last night? They showed a WBS game where JFJ scored 4 goals, and Schremp and Gilbert were playing... I knew it couldn't be live cause of course Gilbert played in Ottawa the night before with the Oilers. It was kinda funny cause WBS was playing the Sens too.

Does anyone know when that game was played? Funny side note too: 3 Penguins have had hat tricks in Wilkes-Barre this year... all Oilers prospects - JFJ MAP and Brodziak
That game was played on Feb. 16. Right before the call-up.

Last edited by PuckNut: 02-22-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Wrong date.
PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Q038

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post

Feb 16

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Matts

That was a taped game???

Wow, I almost stayed home from ball hockey to watch that one so even though it would've been cool to see JFJ actually score a goal I'm glad I didn't stay home to watch a taped game. Then again I guess it's all the same anyway when you're trying to form opinions on who's a player or not. It would've been nice to see how RS looked though. What did the people make of it that saw it?

A few points:

- I believe I saw Horc's last AHL games down here against the Baby Leaves and I was in love The guy wasn't great at anything but just did everything well and I think that's the way he is now. I know he had a terrible start to this year and was just missing a tonne of gimmes, at one point I said if he was an NFL kicker he'd be released for missing 25 year chipshots but he's bounced back in a big way in the last 25 and I want to throttle people that want to trade him. In any case, not fair to compare RS to him because Horc had come off four years of college hockey and he was older in his first season.

- It's odd that we're still talking Kelly but hey why not. It makes a lot of sense when we're looking ahead to '08 and using comparables to see just who should be able to help us come next season. Knowing what I know about MacT now I believe Kelly would've been an NHLer if MacT was his coach. Maybe that's talking out of my a$$ because I can't remember if Kelly was a good faceoff guy or killed penalties or had a good plus/minus, and you'd need that to stick around if you couldn't score goals and he really couldn't, but I remember him down here in the AHL, and this was a time when the Dogs were here I think six times a season??, as being lightning fast and a great passer and a hard worker. That's not what the Oilers wnated from their 6th overall pick mind you but I think MacT would've re-worked him into what Thoresen is gonna become now, albeit with better passing skills and more speed. Ron Low was a guy who healthy scratched 94 in a playoff game and didn't like Satan so while he could make guys go through walls for him, I'll never say otherwise, I don't think he could recognize players abilities and how to use them. Basically it was "weight and guerin are good, marchant and grier can check and what else can we do". I think Kelly would be a useful NHLer under MacT's watch and I think we had something there.

___As an aside, I'll always believe that what drives the Oilers to be so Alberta-biased when it comes to player acquisition, or being so covetous towards orgs that have good albertans like Jay Bou and all their talk about Lupul before we actually got him and wanted to kill ourselves was that Kelly draft. They passed up Doan and to a much larger extent Iginla who was a local and lived and died with the Oilers as a kid, to take Kelly. It's my own theory but I equate it to the Habs taking Wickenheiser over Savard. The Habs always loved their own and the one time they went outside of that idea they got burned in a major way and eventually it became a thing where they'd pick up Donald Audette just for the ****** of it. I think the Kelly draft did the same thing to the Oilers.

- In looking at RS I don't know why I don't have the knives out on him because that's usually my style. Heck, I was ready to quit on Pouliot after he sagged after his last demotion to WSB and if there's anything we should all know by now as these prospects are kids first and foremost and it's only human nature to get a little depressed and disappointed when you get that demotion. I said over on LT's site that I was giving Marc a couple of more games to break out of his doldrums before I thought it was really time to worry about him. Just like that he broke out and now six games into his latest stint and he's created scoring chances in every one of them. Which is much more than we can say for a guy like Lupul. Remember when a few of us wondered if 78 could be the guy earlier this season to round out the 83-71 combo? Maybe he could've been. He looks that good. Then again maybe he needed those few more AHL games and maybe it was because he lost so much young pro time to that ab injury and the mono. In any case we had to break in MP and now he looks like a player and I'm hoping we do the same for JFJ and he comes out OK too so it is for those reasons why I'm not really focusing on RS. Let's get the org to have a productive exit meeting with him at the end of the season and let's hope he hits the gym come this summer and shows up spitting nails come camp. In the meantime we try and bring along JFJ and MP and then we can work on Schremp./

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:14 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

As a side note on Schremp, it could be that LA fans are souring on Sully.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=8192074&postcount=71

I wouldn't mind picking him up and putting him with Schremp and seeing if those old friends can spark each other.

Hire McLellan Draft McDavid. Solidify the D and G
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Boilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
As a side note on Schremp, it could be that LA fans are souring on Sully.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=8192074&postcount=71

I wouldn't mind picking him up and putting him with Schremp and seeing if those old friends can spark each other.
Our PP couldn't hurt any worse. Wonder what they'd want in a trade?

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
Heck, I was ready to quit on Pouliot after he sagged after his last demotion to WSB and if there's anything we should all know by now as these prospects are kids first and foremost and it's only human nature to get a little depressed and disappointed when you get that demotion. I said over on LT's site that I was giving Marc a couple of more games to break out of his doldrums before I thought it was really time to worry about him. Just like that he broke out and now six games into his latest stint and he's created scoring chances in every one of them. Which is much more than we can say for a guy like Lupul. Remember when a few of us wondered if 78 could be the guy earlier this season to round out the 83-71 combo? Maybe he could've been. He looks that good. Then again maybe he needed those few more AHL games and maybe it was because he lost so much young pro time to that ab injury and the mono.
Yeah I was starting to get worried on MAP too. I am already interested to see how he starts next season. Was it just growing pains or is it going to be a recurring theme that he is mediocre to poor the first half of each year then looks awesome in the second half (ie - last season had a bad first half then such a great 2nd he was named MVP of the Bulldogs). Here is to hoping what we seen the in the back half of the last 2 seasons is what are going to see all year every year from here on out. Because if we do I am starting to really warm up to that pick.

Matts did you just do a whole post without ripping on Smid?! Atta boy

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote