HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Asteroid Impact Possible...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2007, 12:17 AM
  #1
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,190
vCash: 500
OT: Asteroid Impact Possible...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=348594

and also

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=347274

1 in 45000 chance.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:25 AM
  #2
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,875
vCash: 500
good

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:27 AM
  #3
Q038
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Edm
Country: Canada
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
There is also a 100% chance the sun will engulf the earth in time..

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:39 AM
  #4
The Polak*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q038 View Post
There is also a 100% chance the sun will engulf the earth in time..
Millions of years is different than 30.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:42 AM
  #5
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,190
vCash: 500
Apparently it's serious enough that governments around the world are actually putting money into research to see what kind of operation it would take to stop such an asteroid if it was determined to intersect with the Earth at some point.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:49 AM
  #6
Ramrod
Happily outscoring
 
Ramrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schremp since 2000
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Apparently it's serious enough that governments around the world are actually putting money into research to see what kind of operation it would take to stop such an asteroid if it was determined to intersect with the Earth at some point.
Obviously it would only take $6 to go rent "Armageddon" from blockbuster.

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:50 AM
  #7
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Obviously it would only take $6 to go rent "Armageddon" from blockbuster.
Yeah. Just hire Bruce Willis and we'll be OK.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:58 AM
  #8
Ramrod
Happily outscoring
 
Ramrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schremp since 2000
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
Seriously though, I'd much rather deal with the 1/45000 odds of having the earth make contact with an asteroid than the 1/4 odds of getting a terminal disease (cancer, etc).

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 12:59 AM
  #9
Q038
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Edm
Country: Canada
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polak View Post
Millions of years is different than 30.

Doesn't change what i'll be doing tomorrow, the next day or the day after that.... Point is, the Earth will be destroyed sooner or later and nothing i do will change that.....

Smarter people then I will be working on this issue...

besides, IF i even live another 30 years i'll be to old to remember my name let alone impending death is near...

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:00 AM
  #10
The Polak*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Seriously though, I'd much rather deal with the 1/45000 odds of having the earth make contact with an asteroid than the 1/4 odds of getting a terminal disease (cancer, etc).
There's more at stake than just your life if an asteroid were to hit.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:03 AM
  #11
gretzkytokurri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
So is this asteroid going to help our defensive problems? cause if it can I say Kevin Lowe should offer it 4 to 5 million per year and lock it up long term.

gretzkytokurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:05 AM
  #12
Q038
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Edm
Country: Canada
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzkytokurri View Post
So is this asteroid going to help our defensive problems? cause if it can I say Kevin Lowe should offer it 4 to 5 million per year and lock it up long term.


funny thing, i was just thinking what had better odds,, Oilers winning the Cup in 30 years or this asteroid hitting the earth

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:06 AM
  #13
Ramrod
Happily outscoring
 
Ramrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schremp since 2000
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polak View Post
There's more at stake than just your life if an asteroid were to hit.
Global warming is also part of the axis of evil.

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:08 AM
  #14
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
funny thing, i was just thinking what had better odds,, Oilers winning the Cup in 30 years or this asteroid hitting the earth
Well now you guys are just being silly.

The Leafs, on the other hand...

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:08 AM
  #15
serum114
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,766
vCash: 500
So we're concerned about the chances of this asteroid hitting... but we're convinced the Oilers have no chance of making the playoffs?




serum114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:10 AM
  #16
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114 View Post
So we're concerned about the chances of this asteroid hitting... but we're convinced the Oilers have no chance of making the playoffs?



If I had to bet on one happening over the other, I'd bet on the asteroid.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:10 AM
  #17
RKD
Registered User
 
RKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,938
vCash: 500
It's supposed to hit on my birthday. Yay?

I know absolutely nothing about asteroids and space-related topics, but aren't the odds of 1 in 45,000 pretty good (well bad, actually)?

__________________
"How many Twix does that make for you today? Like eight Twix?!"
RKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:12 AM
  #18
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
It's supposed to hit on my birthday. Yay?

I know absolutely nothing about asteroids and space-related topics, but aren't the odds of 1 in 45,000 pretty good (well bad, actually)?
Um... use your birthday wish wisely?

Off the top of my head I think those are the highest chances of any potential Earth-hitting asteroid. Whether that number is still considered a low probability or not, I have no idea.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:18 AM
  #19
Digger12
Gold Fever
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Back o' beyond
Posts: 15,571
vCash: 500
I wonder if Rick Dipietro will still be playing goal for the Islanders by then?

I imagine by that time they'll have to tie him in net a la Milhouse, sort of a The Mighty Ducks meets Weekend at Bernie's kind of thing...

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:20 AM
  #20
Nonook
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Asteroid hitting earth and ending all life or the Leafs winning the Cup?
Hmmm tough choice. I'm gonna go with the Asteroid...it's a quality of life thing.

Nonook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:21 AM
  #21
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I wonder if Rick Dipietro will still be playing goal for the Islanders by then?

I imagine by that time they'll have to tie him in net a la Milhouse, sort of a The Mighty Ducks meets Weekend at Bernie's kind of thing...


The real question is whether or not Chris Chelios will still be playing.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:22 AM
  #22
Q038
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Edm
Country: Canada
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
It's supposed to hit on my birthday. Yay?

I know absolutely nothing about asteroids and space-related topics, but aren't the odds of 1 in 45,000 pretty good (well bad, actually)?
last near miss was Jan 13th 2004,, it was about 500m wide and passed the earth at around 12 million km (32 times the Earth-Moon distance)... The ongoing monitoring odd calculations that it would hit was as low as 1 in 37 on December 27th, 2004..

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:22 AM
  #23
Jim Boeheim
Registered User
 
Jim Boeheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 4,686
vCash: 500
If it was headed directly for Earh, do you think they'd tell us?

I don't. Imagine anarchy across the globe, people hoarding foodstuffs and all things necessary for life after impact, people killing people with no fear of the law and repercussions.....should I go on?

__________________
Wings & Sabres = My Dream Finals ... in any season
Jim Boeheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:23 AM
  #24
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q038 View Post
last near miss was Jan 13th 2004,, it was about 500m wide and passed the earth at around 12 million km (32 times the Earth-Moon distance)... The ongoing monitoring odd calculations that it would hit was as low as 1 in 37 on December 27th, 2004..
I guess there were lower odds.

Was that considered "awfully" close or "just kinda" close?

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:25 AM
  #25
Digger12
Gold Fever
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Back o' beyond
Posts: 15,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boeheim View Post
I don't. Imagine anarchy across the globe, people hoarding foodstuffs and all things necessary for life after impact, people killing people with no fear of the law and repercussions.....should I go on?
Sounds like downtown Vancouver after they lost game 7...and did we not survive that??

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.