HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Physcoligical contribution of 'trade deadline day' to a hockey player

Old
02-22-2007, 06:46 AM
Jamie

vCash: 500
Physcoligical contribution of 'trade deadline day' to a hockey player

What is the physcoligical contribution of 'trade deadline day' to a hockey player?

And how a GM can use that to his advantage.

With the Oilers, they sit in an awkward position to start with. It's tough for Oiler purest's throw in the white towel, but if it's unrealistic, may as well prep for the next year right? So this has Lowe having to wait right up until the deadline to see right where they are. What happens if they're 5 points back come d-day? These are all thoughts/questions in a players head too. And that is where we find if a player is gamer or not.

With the vets, finding themselves in a position like they are in, they should take it upon themselves to do all they can to step the team's play up, and be buyers to get the team better and have a chance at what you really want, the Cup, rather than being trade bait. However, there's a lot of players around the league that wouldn't go this route. They'd get lazy/scared/nervous/pretentious/whatever it may be, and fold. I'd say it's pretty even on both sides.

As for the rookies, do you think there's any that give up on a season knowing that if the team sinks, they'll become sellers, giving yourself a better shot at playing more? If that's the attitude of any of my rookies, I'm moving them. I don't care who they are. These aren't the guy's that are to 'bring it' when it's time to get your 'game on'.

The youngster should want to prove his worth regardless and push for their hardest at all times to be the best teammate they possibly can.

The longer Lowe waits on this, the clearer he'll be able to see what this team is made of. If they haven't climbed back to playoff contention by d-day, it likely means that they don't have what it takes, and adding another player or two to the mix wouldn't cut it anyhow. Hopefully you're able to recognize who brought it for the team and who didn't. Deal accordingly. Teams win by having winners on it.

Who on the current Oilers roster 'brings it' when the going get's tough in your opinion?

To me, Moreau was always the king of this, we really, really missed him this year IMO. Smyth, Hemsky and Staios to me are our biggest current gamers. Stoll is getting there, but sometimes he gets a little dumb from intensity, something he needs to work on IMO. Torres seems to be a lot better in the big games, but needs to keep his head straight sometimes.

On the flip side? Greene has been unimpressive when it's counted most. Sykora always seems to me to dissapear in the tough games (which is more often than not lately).

Side note....
I've been sitting at 1999 posts for a while and have been resisting popping my 2k cherry with an additional thought type post. I hope this get's some interesting convo going in commeration of this joyous occasion.

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 06:51 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 504
Lowe has no choice but to wait

Loses are killing the oilers bigtime

he makes a trade for a run that might not happenand he will lose some good prospects and over pay

by waiting we know teams are watching the oilers and Klowe maybe able to pull deal that helps the oilers get some of the pieces they are missing right now for next year

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote