HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I just witnessed a game...

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2003, 07:52 AM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

vCash: 500
I just witnessed a game...

Between the Vancouver Canucks and Pittsburgh Penguins. In the game, one player scored 4 goals, the first goal, the 2nd goal, the game tying goal and the game winning goal as they won 4-3. This same player leads the league in plus/minus with a plus 21, leads the league in points and is 4th in goals scored. Oh yeah, this same player was being denounced by many as being a worse player than Ziggy Palffy, Mike Modano or Sergei Federov. Oh well, I guess I'm a homer to put him in my top 5, BEHIND Forsberg, Lidstrom and Brodeur. Yup.

Old
12-10-2003, 07:54 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas_Bert_Morr
Oh well, I guess I'm a homer to put him in my top 5, BEHIND Forsberg, Lidstrom and Brodeur. Yup.
And with my first post since my ban, I'd like to say: Hell yeah..

Old
12-10-2003, 07:56 AM
leafaholix*

Who are you talking about?

Old
12-10-2003, 07:58 AM
ZombieMatt

Well, personally I'm not very high at all on Lidstrom, but I'm obviously a minority, so I'll leave that behind.

I would say that you're pretty bang on myself.

I don't think Modano, Fedorov, or Palffy are equal players to Naslund. I would not trade him for any of those three straight across.

I'd say its more like Brodeur then Forsberg, and maybe Bertuzzi has a place in there, as well as Blake or Pronger, but it's a tough this to do, rank the top five players, often from very different positions.

Old
12-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Kukla

One more time, Naslund is not a top 5 player until he wins a cup.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:00 AM
looooob

wow! sounds like the best game someone has played against Pittsburgh since, um Shean Donovan 48 hours earlier!

just teasing of course. Naslund is a great player and I see no problem with anyone putting them in their top 5 or 6, but he's not number one in my book.

regardless a big game against the Pens isnt' what is going to sway me on it one way or the other

Old
12-10-2003, 08:01 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

Linden is a plus 21 this year????

Old
12-10-2003, 08:01 AM
guinness
those were the days

Regular season stats are great, but so what?

Old
12-10-2003, 08:06 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Between the Vancouver Canucks and Pittsburgh Penguins. In the game, one player scored 4 goals, the first goal, the 2nd goal, the game tying goal and the game winning goal as they won 4-3. This same player leads the league in plus/minus with a plus 21, leads the league in points and is 4th in goals scored. Oh yeah, this same player was being denounced by many as being a worse player than Ziggy Palffy, Mike Modano or Sergei Federov. Oh well, I guess I'm a homer to put him in my top 5, BEHIND Forsberg, Lidstrom and Brodeur. Yup.

Well, Feds did score five goals in one game, including the game winner in OT. Do we really need ANOTHER thread pumping up Canuck players? We get it, Naslund is REALLY,REALLY, GOOD!

Old
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkwjr
One more time, Naslund is not a top 5 player until he wins a cup.
One player does not make a Stanley Cup winner. Even a goaltender cannot single-handedly win a team the Cup, there has to be some balance in performance.

The Canucks are still an extremely young team. I think it would be more fair to start harping about the Canucks not winning a Cup until the team starts to break up.

That's just my opinion.

The way I see it, the Canucks would be a middle of the road team without Naslund, and I think that his contributions are what puts the Canucks into a quasi-contending spot.

Old
Frolov

So he scores 4 goals against the Pens and he's the best player in the league?

Old
12-10-2003, 08:07 AM
Thalia

Naslund belongs in my top 5 list for sure.

4 goal game again, wow, but for those who watched it, it could have been 5 goals for him: Fleury dove out of his net, Naslund was just about to put the puck in when a Pens' player slid across and played goalie.

I know that Naslund always loves to show off to the tream that traded him but maybe he could score a little less against Pitts... save a few of those goals for Thursday's game against the Avs. :p

Old
12-10-2003, 08:07 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie
One player does not make a Stanley Cup winner. Even a goaltender cannot single-handedly win a team the Cup, there has to be some balance in performance.

The Canucks are still an extremely young team. I think it would be more fair to start harping about the Canucks not winning a Cup until the team starts to break up.

That's just my opinion.

The way I see it, the Canucks would be a middle of the road team without Naslund, and I think that his contributions are what puts the Canucks into a quasi-contending spot.

How are they an extremely young team? They have some younger guys on the roster, but we're not talking about the Pens here.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Well, personally I'm not very high at all on Lidstrom, but I'm obviously a minority, so I'll leave that behind.

I would say that you're pretty bang on myself.

I don't think Modano, Fedorov, or Palffy are equal players to Naslund. I would not trade him for any of those three straight across.

I'd say its more like Brodeur then Forsberg, and maybe Bertuzzi has a place in there, as well as Blake or Pronger, but it's a tough this to do, rank the top five players, often from very different positions.

Equal what? Offensively? .

Old
12-10-2003, 08:13 AM
Snap Wilson

You did notice that Bertuzzi was crucial on all of those goals, right?

Old
12-10-2003, 08:18 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
You did notice that Bertuzzi was crucial on all of those goals, right?
Yes I did notice that too. He's the one that took 3 players to the net with him thereby leaving some space for Naslund. Bertuzzi needs to play like that more often rather than floating about. I think he's finally starting to wake up... just in time for the most anticipated matchup for Canucks' fans this season... the Avs.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:30 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
A guy named Pascal Rheaume scored 4 goals in a game last year, he was so robbed of the Hart.

edit: I used to like the Canucks before I met some of the posters on this board. Now I think I even like the Leafs and Bruins more then the Nucks.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:32 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Now we can't even discuss when a player scores 4 goals in a game on the NHL board?
But is it really worth gushing over considering it came at the expense of a team basically fielding AHL players and it took until OT to do it? It isn't exactlly Nashville scoring 4 goals in the 3rd against the Wings worthy or other games like it.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:36 AM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
But is it really worth gushing over considering it came at the expense of a team basically fielding AHL players and it took until OT to do it? It isn't exactlly Nashville scoring 4 goals in the 3rd against the Wings worthy or other games like it.
Well, no other player has done it against Pittsburgh this year...

Old
12-10-2003, 08:40 AM
ZombieMatt

The point is not about Naslund scoring four against the Pens. At least, I don't think it should be. The way the opening post is done isn't really the best, because it may sort of lead that way, but the point is that Naslund is one of the bes tplayers in the league.

In response to the other comments: I don't think that Modano or Palffy are even close to Naslund. I find Modano the single most over-rated player in the league (personal bias, I acknowledge others don't agree) though I am not certain a convincing argument can be made to say Palffy is equal to Naslund...period. Offensively, defensively, leadership, anything.

Fedorov's all around game may be comparable, but personally I think Naslund would be higher on NHL GM's wish list.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Sotnos

This is far from the first thread someone starts to gush over their own players, and it won't be the last. Nothing wrong with it.

If you don't like it, don't read it, move along etc. Either that, or channel your complaints somewhere constructive.

If you have personal issues with each other, take it to PMs. I'm going to start deleting the crap on this thread now, and I sincerely hope you all can get it back on track.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:46 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Actually Pittsburgh played a lot better last night than they have in the past. Really, if it weren't for Naslund who scored all 4 (almost 5) Canucks' goals... it would have easily been a Pens' win.

If the 'Nucks don't get back to 'their' game which is tigher defense, fast skating and lots of big hits... they'll get blown out by the Avs tomorrow night for sure. Naslund clearly won that game singlehandedly, well, with Bertuzzi's help of course but the rest of the team just wasn't there.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:50 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
I find Modano the single most over-rated player in the league (personal bias, I acknowledge others don't agree)
Ah well.. guess being a consistant ppg player and legit Selke threat is not "in" these days. Enjoy the oneway wonders who start to deliver when they near their 30's.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:53 AM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Ah well.. guess being a consistant ppg player and legit Selke threat is not "in" these days. Enjoy the oneway wonders who start to deliver when they near their 30's.

Modano is not overrated imo. He is one of the best forwards in the game, but I will only give credit where its due. He has taken a step backward over the last couple seasons and now has a handful of forwards easily on top of him.

Old
12-10-2003, 09:06 AM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
How are they an extremely young team? They have some younger guys on the roster, but we're not talking about the Pens here.
they are fairly young

Closed Thread