HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

When do we become "Sellers"?

Old
02-22-2007, 05:09 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
1. We won 3 games in a row before splitting on the weekend. Now we lost one to NJ and will win one back today. The point is the team is going to get on another run because it is playing well. You cannot win every game.
Is asking them to win more than half asking for too much?

Like I said before, we won't become anything until the day of the deadline. I don't think it's too unrealistic to look at the season as a whole and make an educated guess as to whether or not this team is playoff bound. I don't think it's too unrealistic to look at the last month to see if the trend is shifting towards the win collumn to figure out if they might right the ship before the end of the season.

This team is mediocre right now, that doesn't mean I don't like them or I don't have faith in them... I'm just trying to be objective and honest about our situation. I think we can make the playoffs but that doesn't mean our chances are great and it doens't mean that if I wish really really hard for them to make the playoffs they will. It's up to the team, not the fans. If we drop the next few before the deadline you have to consider selling some of the assets that might bring back something for the future.

Besides, I'd rather have a shrewd, objective and savvy guy making the decisions at the deadline than a GM that operates on faith and love for the team.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Janerixon

From the our total inability to hold a lead and to be able to beat playoff teams, im assuming we will become sellers pretty soon

sather will not gut this team, but a few players could be moved like rachunek, rozsival, nylander, and possibly a few others depending on whether or not these teams want to take on a contract or not, and then there are kids like immo, dawes, and prucha who could be moved to land other younger players

i wonder what sather will do, but i really wonder if we miss the playoffs if renney is back next season?

Last edited by Janerixon: 02-22-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
NOW!!!!!!!!!

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:34 PM
in the hall

Rangers suck, they should sell now.

oh and if you tell me i'm not a real fan i bet i've done more to encourage my fandom than you have

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:44 PM
NYROrtsFan

Hold back on the final decision until deadline day... Usually a lot of value can be had around that time compared to moving them early imo.

Regardless, i'd look to move Rachunek though. Was hoping for some real improvement from him after this much time but it hasnt happened. He possesses a real nice shot and likes to take it, but it isnt worth some of the defensive stuff he's shown.

I think Ward could be OK with the right partner. Thought he was fine with Tyutin.

The defense imo needs the most retooling towards next year.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
could be OK with the right partner. Thought he was fine with Tyutin.

The defense imo needs the most retooling towards next year.
i agree with ward, he has looked slow and out of position without tyutin, however girardi got beat to the outside twice tonite, and once the other nite, he is fine for a 5-6 but he needs to be playing with a solid speedy partner, not the slow footed ward

i also agree on rachunek, id like to move him before the end of the season, however we have staal and baranka, both who should earn jobs next season so im willing to deal rachunek for a prospect or pick

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:55 PM
NYROrtsFan

Also hopeful they sign a defenseman FA this offseason... Do that, get guys like Staal and perhaps Baranka involved and the Rangers could be much better off. I'm hopeful that Staal ends up working out as much as it seems he could... I've been waiting for a defenseman like him for years.

Old
02-22-2007, 10:01 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
I would sell now too. A complete firesale. Man that would be heaven.

We can dream, cant we?

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 10:01 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
From the our total inability to hold a lead and to be able to beat playoff teams, im assuming we will become sellers pretty soon

sather will not gut this team, but a few players could be moved like rachunek, rozsival, nylander, and possibly a few others depending on whether or not these teams want to take on a contract or not, and then there are kids like immo, dawes, and prucha who could be moved to land other younger players

i wonder what sather will do, but i really wonder if we miss the playoffs if renney is back next season?

I agree about Rachunek and Nylander, but, I wouldn't move Rozsival. I think he, along with Tyutin, has been our best D-man this year. I think he'd make a good partner for Baranka (see his play with Pock this year.) The guys I'd move are Rachunek, Nylander, Malik and Ward.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 10:19 PM
JRGNYR

If the Rangers lose Saturday against Columbus, I think it's time. I wouldn't mind if they did it now to be quite honest, but I think realistically Sather and company will wait until Saturday night to make an official decision.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 10:43 PM
NYROrtsFan

I like Nylander a lot and think he fits that playmaking center mold perfectly... Shooting is an issue but he creates offense regardless of who plays with him.

That said, he is 35 so if something of real value can be had, then go with it.

All comes down to whether they want to take another shot next year with a lot of these guys though... If that is the case then Nylander cant go imo.

Old
02-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Don't you guys have a ton of homes game coming up? I thought I heard 11 out of 14, you could see do some damage with that you know.

02-22-2007, 10:51 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Don't you guys have a ton of homes game coming up? I thought I heard 11 out of 14, you could see do some damage with that you know.
Problem is they don't play well at home.

02-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Problem is they don't play well at home.
Yeah, I just saw that, 12-13-5, still a home game is a home game, and you guys haven't played badly at all since the Avery trade, a couple breaks here and there and you guys be on the cusp of the 8th spot.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
The problem is Lou, even if the Rangers do win a bunch of games, every single team around them is winning too. And every game lately has been of the three point variety. Makes it next to impossible for the Rangers at this point.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
The problem is Lou, even if the Rangers do win a bunch of games, every single team around them is winning too. And every game lately has been of the three point variety. Makes it next to impossible for the Rangers at this point.
Well you got a bunch of games with the Islanders - can't wait for that - you can do some real damage there.

I just think you guys have had a rough week with the Devils and are discouraged right now - hence the negative thoughts - but realistically you are really far from out of it, especially if they can bring the game they brought against us the last two games.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Well you got a bunch of games with the Islanders - can't wait for that - you can do some real damage there.

I just think you guys have had a rough week with the Devils and are discouraged right now - hence the negative thoughts - but realistically you are really far from out of it, especially if they can bring the game they brought against us the last two games.
Well right now we are in a situation where we have to decide if we are buyers or sellers at the deadline.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:27 PM
BigE

At one point I was an advocate for a mini-sale, but I believe that time has passed. Perhaps had we not had that three game win streak (lost to Tampa Bay and/or Carolina) and put ourselves firmly out of reach things would be different.

At this point, I worry about the message a firesale sends to the players in the dressing room that will be around next season. We're close, yes, and it's frustrating to be in this position once again, but the sign of management giving up is only going to filter down into the locker room.

Sooner or later this franchise is going to have to develop a winning mentality. Consistently losing leads - and as a result games - can no longer be tolerated. The culture change implemented last year has not carried over to this season. And what little gain we might receive from dishing a few players (lets face it Jagr, as much as he probably would bring back, is not going to be dealt), it's not worth it compared to the message we send to the young guys in the room. We have to promote the idea that things CAN be turned around. The first rule in implementing any change in any organization is gaining management support - a hockey team is no different.

Unfortunately, for better or worse, this needs to be the club that finishes the season. That likely means mediocrity and a 10th place finish in the Eastern Conference and another 10-14th overall selection. However, this also means that perhaps management sends a message to the young guys in the room that quitting is not an option.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:30 PM
BigE

Hopefully, things do not go in the opposite direction and Sather makes a last minute trade out of desperation and we give up more future assets for an illusionary short term gain. This has bene my fear all along: just staying close enough to allow Sather to do something stupid.

Hopefully everyone involved with this organization has learned their lesson.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:34 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

True. You can't give up when your still in the mix and we are STILL in the mix.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
At one point I was an advocate for a mini-sale, but I believe that time has passed. Perhaps had we not had that three game win streak (lost to Tampa Bay and/or Carolina) and put ourselves firmly out of reach things would be different.

At this point, I worry about the message a firesale sends to the players in the dressing room that will be around next season. We're close, yes, and it's frustrating to be in this position once again, but the sign of management giving up is only going to filter down into the locker room.

Sooner or later this franchise is going to have to develop a winning mentality. Consistently losing leads - and as a result games - can no longer be tolerated. The culture change implemented last year has not carried over to this season. And what little gain we might receive from dishing a few players (lets face it Jagr, as much as he probably would bring back, is not going to be dealt), it's not worth it compared to the message we send to the young guys in the room. We have to promote the idea that things CAN be turned around. The first rule in implementing any change in any organization is gaining management support - a hockey team is no different.

Unfortunately, for better or worse, this needs to be the club that finishes the season. That likely means mediocrity and a 10th place finish in the Eastern Conference and another 10-14th overall selection. However, this also means that perhaps management sends a message to the young guys in the room that quitting is not an option.
agreed 100%. I think buying would be ill-advised, but I wouldn't sell off any players.

that doesn't mean I'm discouraging any moves, I think trading Rachunek for a left defenseman would be smart.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
If we lose on Saturday, than I say that they MUST sell off parts because it'll simply be too late after. I mean, the deadline is the 27th at 3PM.

We have to make the decision now.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:55 PM
UAGoalieGuy

It's rumored that the Rangers are back in the running for Brewer.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:01 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
It's rumored that the Rangers are back in the running for Brewer.

I guess that means we will be the ones sending JD a 1st round pick but for Eric Brewer since Bill Guerin apparently will cost two.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:41 AM
JRGNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
If we lose on Saturday, than I say that they MUST sell off parts because it'll simply be too late after. I mean, the deadline is the 27th at 3PM.

We have to make the decision now.
I agree. A decision has to be made. However, I think for the most part the Rangers won't fit the typical definition of "buyer." The price for some of these players being bandied about is simply too high, and the Rangers are not in a position to mortgage the future for a playoff spot they are far from securing. And I don't think one player available can enough of a difference to make the post-season a near certainty.

In the Rangers' case, the decision is between "stand pat" or "sell." I don't think "buy" is a realistic option.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote