HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

When do we become "Sellers"?

Old
02-23-2007, 10:45 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Girardi is the best thing that happens to NYR this season. Tyutin -Girardi is our #1 pair. We have no need for Brewer. Our defense problem is not a problem with defensemen.
Put it this way too. Within the next 2-3 years we'll have 6 very good defensemen.

Staal, Sanguinetti, Tyutin, Sauer, Girardi, Baranka

6 top notch Dmen & a top notch franchise goalie in Henrik. In a few years this team is going to be a Cup contender. Just wait.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:46 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
Yeah, also Jimmy boy wants deperately for the Rangers to make the playoffs so he can raise ticket prices next year
That will go up regardless.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I honestly think that we can beat NJ in a seven game series.

If you guys notice, the Devils do wear out when you play a physical game against them. They no longer have a Stevens or even a Daneyko back there. White is not bad...but not that tough. Guys like Rafalski and Martin wear our rather quickly. So in a 7 game series, if we get guys like Orr, Avery, Hollweg, Ortmayer to just pound their D down low...eventually they wont be able to stand it. We already did better in this game on Thursday than the one on Tuesday...just by wearing them out!

I like our chances against them in the playoffs...we just need to make it there, and I think we will.
Just curious how you came up with that conclusion, because I've never seen that to be the case.

02-23-2007, 10:51 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Maybe based on what he saw on the ice that's his opinion. Your opinion may be different .

Old
02-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Maybe based on what he saw on the ice that's his opinion. Your opinion may be different .
Well, I have watched just about every Devils game this year and have never seen it, and both of them have been putting up big minutes - 25-30 a game - so again, no idea how he is arriving with that conclusion.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:23 AM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Well, I have watched just about every Devils game this year and have never seen it, and both of them have been putting up big minutes - 25-30 a game - so again, no idea how he is arriving with that conclusion.
i agree...i haven't noticed the Devils wear down either...

The biggest problem with the Devils, in my opinion, is Martin and Hale. i could be wrong, but when pressured those two seem to have the hardest time with the puck. But the way the devils play full commitment from to their own end...the negative effect of those two are minimized.

As i said, i could be wrong with those two...but that is who i'd attack like crazy...

In the playoffs, Hale will see like 5mins of ice time in a close game. Martin gets a lot of ice time but i think Oduya is better.

Ultimately, none of the dmen are equivalent to philly dmen...meaning they all are relatively responsible and sure in their own zone. and i don't think the Rangers are deep enough to create offense with lines 2 and 3.

AGraveOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGraveOne View Post

The biggest problem with the Devils, in my opinion, is Martin and Hale. i could be wrong, but when pressured those two seem to have the hardest time with the puck. But the way the devils play full commitment from to their own end...the negative effect of those two are minimized.

As i said, i could be wrong with those two...but that is who i'd attack like crazy...

In the playoffs, Hale will see like 5mins of ice time in a close game. Martin gets a lot of ice time but i think Oduya is better.

Ultimately, none of the dmen are equivalent to philly dmen...meaning they all are relatively responsible and sure in their own zone. and i don't think the Rangers are deep enough to create offense with lines 2 and 3.

Actually Martin's play after the New Year is night and day compared to the beginning of the season, we have been quite pleased with him. But Hale is another story, he is a good kid who I am rooting hard for but he is just bringing nothing to the ice, no physical play and nothing on the offensive side either, I would bet he will be the odd man out come postseason.

And Oduya has been nothing but a revelation for us this year, no one at all expected what we have gotten out of him this year and he still hasn't reached close to his potential, we definitely found a gem in him.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Girardi is the best thing that happens to NYR this season. Tyutin -Girardi is our #1 pair.
Yes, its awesome that the kid has come up and not missed a beat. He's real calm with the puck and does not panic. But Girardi gets exposed too many times for my liking. I do not know if he's still adjusting to the speed of the game or if he's just that slow to react and incapable to catch forwards. It's quite alarming when I've caught him looking like Malik one-on-one quite a few times.

Quote:
We have no need for Brewer. Our defense problem is not a problem with defensemen.
We absolutely do. The team cannot count on any defensemen other than Roszival and Tyutin to consistently contribute all around. Ward only brings physicality, and when he doesn't bring that, he's getting caught stepping up at TERRIBLE times, coming over to defend one forward with Rachunek there as well leaving his man open. Rachunek commits stupid turnovers, loses his man all too often, and takes penalties that hurt the team greatly. And Malik is Malik. What's scary is that if he didn't get burned so many times one-on-one he'd be right there with Roszival and Tyutin.

Though, I will fault Aaron Ward and Petr Prucha for each of the goals scored last night. If we have a chance to upgrade atleast Rachunek/Girardi, I'd do it. I hate seeing Hank get peppered.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:33 AM
AGraveOne

Quote:
Actually Martin's play after the New Year is night and day compared to the beginning of the season, we have been quite pleased with him. But Hale is another story, he is a good kid who I am rooting hard for but he is just bringing nothing to the ice, no physical play and nothing on the offensive side either, I would bet he will be the odd man out come postseason.

And Oduya has been nothing but a revelation for us this year, no one at all expected what we have gotten out of him this year and he still hasn't reached close to his potential, we definitely found a gem in him.
too true and unbelievable. (about Oduya)

I was convinced that he must have come up in the Devils' system because he fits so well ( it was revealed to me that he was picked up this season and played in Sweden last year...the ice time there must have helped him or something!). He is such a quick skater and he usually makes smart/safe plays in his own zone with the puck.

That is where is see Martin's weakness...he will sometimes try more than he should back there...but maybe i only remember the bad with him...or maybe i am hopeful that the Devils have weaknesses!

What is the deal with Matvichuk? He is a Devil, right?

Old
02-23-2007, 11:35 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
The Devils are like a machine. They just don't stop. Ever.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGraveOne View Post

Maybe I should define "wear down" better...sorry about that.

I did not mean to say that Rafalski and Martin cannot play 25 minutes...sure they can!

What I meant by "wearing down" is that, as AGraveOne suggests, if you keep pressuring these Dmen, eventually you can get the puck away from them. They just dont like physical play too much...so you have to keep hitting them and pressuring them on the forecheck and eventually you will get the puck from them! They are good dmen, no doubt, but again, this is the way to effectively get the puck away from them.

Also, around the net, if you put a body there like an Avery or Orr, a tough guy who doesnt mind the rough stuff...guys like Rafalski and Martin dont do much, they let you stand in front of Brodeur without knocking you down really. Stevens would not have allowed for that...but this is again not the same Devils team. So again, we need to go to the net even more...it works.

One of the goals we scored last night was Jagr driving to the net...Prucha got the rebound.
On Tuesday Avery was in front of Brodeur when Rachunek scored.

you get the idea...

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:46 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post

Though, I will fault Aaron Ward and Petr Prucha for each of the goals scored last night. If we have a chance to upgrade atleast Rachunek/Girardi, I'd do it. I hate seeing Hank get peppered.
Ward yes, Prucha no. Ward fell down and did not get back as fast as he should after that. Prucha was covering for missing D, but he, being a forward, cannot skate backward as fast as D can. He, therefore, was chasing the forward and his ability to prevent the pass was not very good due to his position (facing the net).

Old
02-23-2007, 11:50 AM
AGraveOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
Maybe I should define "wear down" better...sorry about that.

I did not mean to say that Rafalski and Martin cannot play 25 minutes...sure they can!

What I meant by "wearing down" is that, as AGraveOne suggests, if you keep pressuring these Dmen, eventually you can get the puck away from them. They just dont like physical play too much...so you have to keep hitting them and pressuring them on the forecheck and eventually you will get the puck from them! They are good dmen, no doubt, but again, this is the way to effectively get the puck away from them.

Also, around the net, if you put a body there like an Avery or Orr, a tough guy who doesnt mind the rough stuff...guys like Rafalski and Martin dont do much, they let you stand in front of Brodeur without knocking you down really. Stevens would not have allowed for that...but this is again not the same Devils team. So again, we need to go to the net even more...it works.

One of the goals we scored last night was Jagr driving to the net...Prucha got the rebound.
On Tuesday Avery was in front of Brodeur when Rachunek scored.

you get the idea...
i agree with one thing...seems that all teams that face the Devils don't drive the net enough. Not sure why...maybe its the way the devils cover the middle...but when teams do push through the middle their chances increase...so it seems to me.

Martin is a POTENTIAL weak spot in my view, as far as pressuring into turn-overs. However, Rafalski is pretty sure with the puck regardless of pressure... White, Oduya and Lukowich are solid as well. To me it is a tough proposition for the Rangers, as things are now, to consistently get quality pucks on Brodeur...and the cost will often be odd-man rushes back at us.

I don't think the devils are impervious as they were with Stevens and Nieds. But i just don't think we are deep enough. I look forward to a NJ series against TB, Buffalo, or even the Canes. I think those team will expose the weaknesses. Pittsburgh, maybe - but i think NJ will create a lot of odd-man rushes against them and Atlanta....

Old
02-23-2007, 11:51 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
The Devils are like a machine. They just don't stop. Ever.
Historically NJ was a Sweat Shop, while NYR was a Country Club. They still are.

Old
02-23-2007, 12:21 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Oduya's name cracks me up

Oh Do Ya?!?!

Old
02-23-2007, 12:30 PM
AGraveOne

Quote:

Oh Do Ya?!?!
i watch too many devils' games...cause his name annoys the heck out of me.

Old
02-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:

Oh Do Ya?!?!

"Johnny Oduya (born October 1, 1981) is a Swedish-born defenseman for the New Jersey Devils of the National Hockey League. He is of mixed race as he was born to a Swedish mother and a Kenyan father."
from wikepedia.com

Last edited by Evgeny Oliker: 02-23-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old
02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
bleedblue94

i think we need to do a cost/benifit analysis right now. from what i hear from gm interviews commentary and just looking around the league this season its a sellers market bc there are simply so many teams in the hunt. if this is indeed fact then it would only mean it makes trading players from this team that much more benificial to the organization in the future. you have an opportunity to cash in REALLY well, far better then the "great purge" a couple years ago. i for one believe this team will make the playoffs, but i dont think its worth it to simply make them this season and would rather capitalize and a great opportunity to load up the franchise with QUALITY picks and prospects, this is not to say we dont have some good ones, but lets face it this organization is not loaded with top end talent and this could be the chance to get some with the sounds of this up coming draft.

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:04 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
i think we need to do a cost/benifit analysis right now. from what i hear from gm interviews commentary and just looking around the league this season its a sellers market bc there are simply so many teams in the hunt. if this is indeed fact then it would only mean it makes trading players from this team that much more benificial to the organization in the future. you have an opportunity to cash in REALLY well, far better then the "great purge" a couple years ago. i for one believe this team will make the playoffs, but i dont think its worth it to simply make them this season and would rather capitalize and a great opportunity to load up the franchise with QUALITY picks and prospects, this is not to say we dont have some good ones, but lets face it this organization is not loaded with top end talent and this could be the chance to get some with the sounds of this up coming draft.
I just don't think it's going to happen though. Who are you going to trade?
If you're in sell mode, you're not trading any younger guys.
So who do you have?
Jagr? Nope, no one would want him. He said he doesn't want to play anywhere but NY.
Straka? The Rangers just signed him to an extention. How would that make Slats look if he traded him away?
Nylander? Possibile, trade him then resign him back.
Shanny? It's possible, who knows how long he'll be on IR.
Avery? No, he's what this team needs and they just got him
Cullen? He has a big contract for a 3rd line center, I doubt it.
Dupuis? No, they just got him
Prucha? Why would you sell your top young forward?
So who do you have left? Your 4th liners?

Old
02-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
So who do you have?
Jagr? Nope, no one would want him. He said he doesn't want to play anywhere but NY.
Straka? The Rangers just signed him to an extention. How would that make Slats look if he traded him away?

what Anthony said...and I'd rather make the playoffs and give our young guys experience.

I mean, you dont win the Cup unless you get that playoff experience first. A team needs to make the playoffs a few times at least in order to finally win the Cup...

Old
02-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Edge

Quote:
So who do you have?

That's how I feel. You've got maybe Nylander and not much else.

Weekes is hurt.
Shanahan is hurt.

Maybe you move a guy like Ward or Rachunek, but I don't know what you realistically expect to get back for them.

The Rangers might get some later picks, but not nearly the return some think.

Nylander would land you a first, but then you REALLY have a team that can't score and I'm not really a fan of having Lundqvist losing 12 out of 15 games down the stretch.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:41 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
I think if we lose tomorrow night we should become sellers and I think that could be the feeling around the NYR front office. We lose tomorrow we're atleast five points out, looking up at a number of teams who are closer to the eight spot, and there's no use continuing like this and finishing 9th or 10th. Finishing a spot or two outside of the playoffs is the biggest waste of a season unless you sell during the deadline and pack in your losses. Losing tomorrow night and not trading because there's still "a shot" is about as blind as thinking you're going to win a poker hand with a King high. I don't take this as being that accurate, but rodents percentages have been around what I would predict our chances of making the playoffs, and right now his berth thing says 21%. About right if you ask me. Nylander, Rozsival, Ward should be highly considered. Saturday night is the last game before the deadline and we're in 11th, five points out. A decision needs to be made on Sunday, but I think we should sell if we lose...columbus at home for God sakes

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Nylander, Rozsival, Ward should be highly considered.
then who plays defense next season?

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
I think if we lose tomorrow night we should become sellers and I think that could be the feeling around the NYR front office. We lose tomorrow we're atleast five points out, looking up at a number of teams who are closer to the eight spot, and there's no use continuing like this and finishing 9th or 10th. Finishing a spot or two outside of the playoffs is the biggest waste of a season unless you sell during the deadline and pack in your losses. Losing tomorrow night and not trading because there's still "a shot" is about as blind as thinking you're going to win a poker hand with a King high. I don't take this as being that accurate, but rodents percentages have been around what I would predict our chances of making the playoffs, and right now his berth thing says 21%. About right if you ask me. Nylander, Rozsival, Ward should be highly considered. Saturday night is the last game before the deadline and we're in 11th, five points out. A decision needs to be made on Sunday, but I think we should sell if we lose...columbus at home for God sakes
I think your little signature there says it all about your level of optimism

Old
02-23-2007, 02:56 PM
JRGNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
That's how I feel. You've got maybe Nylander and not much else.

Weekes is hurt.
Shanahan is hurt.

Maybe you move a guy like Ward or Rachunek, but I don't know what you realistically expect to get back for them.

The Rangers might get some later picks, but not nearly the return some think.

Nylander would land you a first, but then you REALLY have a team that can't score and I'm not really a fan of having Lundqvist losing 12 out of 15 games down the stretch.
I tend to agree with this point, although you could make the argument that, if Shanny is out for an extended period of time, then Nylander's potential production would decrease since the winger he had for a few games before the concussion was really the only player who shot the puck with any regularity. But on the other hand, Nylander did have assists in the last two games vs. NJ.

Nylander has had 4 different point streaks this year which have reached or exceeded 6 games, so he's having a helluva year. He's probably the most valuable chip the Rangers have right now, and if a team called up and offered a 1st and a prospect, or a 1st and a player for him, how do you not give it serious consideration? He could always re-sign in the offseason. This would be a unique opportunity where the Rangers could actually deal away a rental player, one they have a chance at resigning in the offseason.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote