HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our D for next year...

Old
02-22-2007, 04:09 PM
dasivon

vCash: 500
Our D for next year...

I know this has been discussed at length, but what will our D look like to start October 07?

Smid
Greene
Gilbert
Grebeshkov
Smith
Staios
Hejda (?)

I get what KL is doing. I think. The price of D is so high that he is developing from within. But did we learn from this year? Are we really going to battle with 2 rookies, 2 sophs and 2 vets and a vet depth. I realize Hejda is an UFA btw, but we'll need someone.

And assuming KL hangs onto his prized youngsters, and does acquire a legit #1 D, does that mean we have a rotating PB sitter?

If this D is our #2-8 core next year, is that enough?

BTW - after thinking about this, KL really seems to be following Nashville's plan.

dasivon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I think it's a bit too early to see what plan Lowe is following.

If he signs a few big name UFA defensemen, it might change the roster entirely.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:13 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasivon View Post
I know this has been discussed at length, but what will our D look like to start October 07?

Smid
Greene
Gilbert
Grebeshkov
Smith
Staios
Hejda (?)

I get what KL is doing. I think. The price of D is so high that he is developing from within. But did we learn from this year? Are we really going to battle with 2 rookies, 2 sophs and 2 vets and a vet depth. I realize Hejda is an UFA btw, but we'll need someone.

And assuming KL hangs onto his prized youngsters, and does acquire a legit #1 D, does that mean we have a rotating PB sitter?

BTW - after thinking about this, KL really seems to be following Nashville's plan.
That d-corps makes me want to hurl myself off a building. If we ice that in 07-08, count on another crappy year.

The thing is, I have zero confidence in Lowe/EIG now in terms of their willingness/ability to actually improve the team. He's pissed away this season. He's SAID in the media he's not going to do anything about the blueline at the trade deadline. And as far as landing a No. 1 defenceman through free agency ... I'd say there's a better chance of Igor Ulanov returning and winning the Norris.

Oiler fans need to realize free agency isn't meant for cities like Edmonton. It's not something we can count on to improve the team. We've got the draft and trading. That's it.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:19 PM
dasivon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I think it's a bit too early to see what plan Lowe is following.

If he signs a few big name UFA defensemen, it might change the roster entirely.
I'm not sure it changes a whole lot. I doubt he's going to sign 2 UFA Ds. If he gets one, what else will he do? Maybe trade Smith or Greene, but that's about it (slight redundancy).

I'm agreeing with OOF, I think KL is looking at a homerun UFA or 2 years of re-building and missing the playoffs.

Old
02-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Arcane

It's clear that we need a puck moving pp quarterback defenseman.

since - last summer?.

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:

Smid
Greene
Gilbert
Grebeshkov
Smith
Staios
Hejda (?)

We need an UFA that's forsure!!! We cant do the same next year as we did this year.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:26 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I'm hoping for something like:

Smid
Greene
Grebeshkov
Staios
Pitkanen
Gilbert
Markov(?)/Phillips/Souray

But I'm not holding my breath...and even that group doesn't blow me away.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
I'm not sure it changes a whole lot. I doubt he's going to sign 2 UFA Ds. If he gets one, what else will he do? Maybe trade Smith or Greene, but that's about it (slight redundancy).

I'm agreeing with OOF, I think KL is looking at a homerun UFA or 2 years of re-building and missing the playoffs.
I'm not so sure about that. If he signs one high level UFA d-man like Timonen/Stuart/Phillips/Markov/Hannan and one mid-level guy (Sarich/Preissing level) we'd be looking pretty solid.

I'd imagine it's going to shake down like this:

Timonen/Markov - Smith
Staios - Sarich/Preissing
Smid - Greene/Grebs/Gilbert

Alternatively, I could also see Smith being traded.

Old
02-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. If he signs one high level UFA d-man like Timonen/Stuart/Phillips/Markov/Hannan and one mid-level guy (Sarich/Preissing level) we'd be looking pretty solid.

Timonen/Markov - Smith

Those two UFA's that you mentioned would cost aprox 7 Million, something that KLowe may not have or may not want to spend or may not be allowed to spend.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:32 PM
namflashback

I think Lowe's own success in stealing Spacek, and obtaining Tarnstrom blinded him. It made him think that:
- it would be that cheap again
- availability would be high

Howerver, other GM's probably thought:
- CHI got robbed, won't let that happen
- Comparatively few sellers

That's all that happened to him. He was never going to shoot for the moon this year unless they went like gangbusters early on. They didn't, the market is tight, and now its not worth it.

The D I think they need to be competitive next year. (keep 8 on the roster)
D#1 (obtained by trading Green-Torres)-Smith
Hejda-Staios
Smid-UFAD#1 (a vet w >250 GP, right handed please, Sean Hill type guy)
Grebeshkov-Gilbert

That gives them options.

namflashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Those two UFA's that you mentioned would cost aprox 7 Million, something that KLowe may not have or may not want to spend or may not be allowed to spend.
Let's say, hypothetically, we trade Smith to SJ for Wishart + 3rd.

That clears 2M.

So we could have

Timonen/Markov/Stuart - Staios
Sarich/Preissing - Greene
Smid - Gilbert/Grebs

I actually wouldn't mind that. It's not as good as the lineup with Smith, but it also gives Gilbert or Grebs a solid shot.

Old
02-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Or, like nam said, if Lowe was feeling particularly adventurous, he could make a play for a guy like Weber (or Pitkanen ). It'd almost certainly have to involve a combination of Smith, Greene and a high prospect.

Old
02-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Wrecker99

Quote:

Smid
Greene
Gilbert
Grebeshkov
Smith
Staios
Hejda (?)

You forgot Roy & Svret....just kidding.
When you have young players, there has to be more "coaching" involved. Rookies can play well at the NHL level, but the circumstance has to be ideal. With this coaching staff, the situation IS NOT ideal.

Wrecker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 04:52 PM
dasivon

Quote:

Timonen/Markov - Smith

I just don't see us landing 2 UFA D. Not with the market as it is.

And if we do, don't we really stunt the development of Greene/Grebs/Gilbert by getting them 82 games between them?

Old
Matts

Just a few thought

- I love Hedja but he needs to play with a guy that can move the puck. Maybe 24 in the top four or maybe 5 as a bottom pairing

- People say that Grebs is further along than Smid but that my friends is faint praise. I'd like to see Grebs and Smid as 5-6 which would leave 25-21-24 PLUS a Pitkanen or Phillips and the latter via FA or the former via a Lupul, Greene plus trade that would cure a lot of ills in one fell swoop. When consructing a D corps will the Oilers once again allow the PP to run without a d back there and is that what drives the Pitkanen lust? They could pick up Phillips as a bonafide shutdown D and this would allow Lowe to keep all his precious trading chips but Phillips would cost a tonne of money and he can't run a PP and we'd be left with Grebs/16 on the PP point. Lowe did mention that the kid has #1 PP unit potential so I don't think that was a throwaway line, moreso I think it was readying everyone for the possibility that we won't have another blueliner more suited to play back there. Of course saying a guy can play on the Oilers #1 unit on the backend isn't saying a whole lot now is it?

If Lowe goes into the season with the D as you listed, we will be garbage again unless we have 12 Joe Sakic clones, or one real Joe Sakic plus 11 clones or six and six...carry on in the forwards group.

And I'm with the guy that said he's lost faith in Lowe and the EIG after this season. I think Lowe had one great year of trading and that was quickly besmirched by the terriawful Pronger trade.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
I just don't see us landing 2 UFA D. No with the market as it is.

And if we do, don't we really stunt the development of Greene/Grebs/Gilbert by getting them 82 games between them?
See the post I made after that one.

Old
02-22-2007, 04:53 PM
dasivon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker99 View Post
You forgot Roy & Svret....just kidding.
When you have young players, there has to be more "coaching" involved. Rookies can play well at the NHL level, but the circumstance has to be ideal. With this coaching staff, the situation IS NOT ideal.
I think if anything, this shows that those 2 are trade bait. There is simply no room for them, and Syvret is already a couple years older.

Old
02-22-2007, 04:55 PM
dasivon

Quote:
See the post I made after that one.
haha, I shoulda kept reading.

Again tho - with all these 1 way contracts, is he really going to sit one ofthe rookies/sophs for 41 games in a year?

Even with trading Smith, I see at most one spot open.

Old
02-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
haha, I shoulda kept reading.

Again tho - with all these 1 way contracts, is he really going to sit one ofthe rookies/sophs for 41 games in a year?

Even with trading Smith, I see at most one spot open.
Stockpiling depth is never a bad thing though imo. At the worst, it opens up options on the trading front.

Old
02-22-2007, 05:14 PM
rigger

The Bergeron trade sent a clear message to me. Lowe has someone lined up in the off season.

I'm thinking we are going to sign Philips. He is not a puck mover but Smid is, they would make an ideal pair. Then you put Staios and Greene and Gilbert and Smith.

Looks a lot better to me. In OT you do Staios/Smith and Smid/Philips.

You're good to go.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:25 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

No Syvret?

I haven't followed him much, but he has gotten into some Oiler games in the last couple years. Of course, I knew him well from his London Knight days.

Career AHLer then?

Too bad, I liked his game. I'm assuming he just couldn't adjust to the NHL game?

LadyByngJeanRatelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:29 PM
namflashback

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyByngJeanRatelle View Post
No Syvret?

I haven't followed him much, but he has gotten into some Oiler games in the last couple years. Of course, I knew him well from his London Knight days.

Career AHLer then?

Too bad, I liked his game. I'm assuming he just couldn't adjust to the NHL game?
He seems like a decent player, showed well in his brief call-ups, but the Oilers keep acquiring guys who have more upside on the depth chart.

Smid
now Grebeshkov
and Chorney shooting the lights out in college

namflashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Matts

Yeah

Quote:
I think if anything, this shows that those 2 are trade bait. There is simply no room for them, and Syvret is already a couple years older.
because Lowe is great at making those quanity for quality trades that he's been talking about for the last seven years.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Lessy

I'm not sure what to think for our defence next year. I hope Smith is back, he's the captain and one of the few vets we have back there. He can play on the first pair if he has a solid partner with him. Staios just signed an extension this year, I'm assuming and hoping he'll be back. Smid will obviously be back barring something drastically unexpected. He's done well this year and will hopefully look even a bit better next year. After those 3 however it gets difficult in my mind. Tjarnqvist I'm hoping will not be back, he hasn't done enough (though he has been injured) to warrant another fair-sized contract. Hejda, also a UFA, is a guy that's impressed a lot of people around here, myself included. I'd take him back at a million or so for next season. Greene's an RFA after this year IIRC and it's not ridiculous to think he could be dealt for an upgrade, though not likely. Gilbert has impressed me in his limited time this year and I'd like to see him on the third pair next year fulltime. We also have Roy and Syvret waiting, I'm not sure if Roy has a oneway deal but if he does that could create more havoc and would pretty much have to result in a trade. We also have Grebeshkov after the Bergeron deal.

Smith, Staios, Smid, Tjarnqvist, Hejda, Greene, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Roy... That's 9 defencemen with a decent chance at a top 6 spot. Add in the fact that pretty much everyone is pleaing for a top pairing DMan to be signed a la Timonen/Markov and moves will need to be made.

What I'd like to see (realistically):

Smith-UFA (Stuart/Markov/Timonen)
Staios-Smid
Greene/Gilbert/Hejda

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Anderson8

I would really like to se Petry in the starting line-up for the oilers home opener in the 07/08 season

Anderson8 is offline   Reply With Quote