Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

GDT: 2/22 - Tampa Bay v. Atlanta

Old
02-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
Sad. This team is absolutely sad.

You CANNOT lose to a team you're fighting with for the division lead.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 08:43 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

And that is why Hedberg is a "career backup" goalie. He deserved the start, but 3 softies on the night.

The Thrashers fell apart in the 2nd, helped in part by a piss poor diving call on Sim.

Overall, it is an important point. And outside of Hedberg and Havelid's pathetic turnover...not a bad game.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Whaddagoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oster View Post
Damnit, Kovy had the point on his stick

I hate the Bolts.
You're not alone, that duo of Vinny and Marty St. Louis ...argghh!!!

Whaddagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Whaddagoal

Hopefully that point doesn't come back to bite this team.

Speaking of horrible, the defense in their own zone. Its been over a few weeks now that the d is just totally crap in their own end. Scrambling, bad breakouts, unable to clear, just bad decisions in general. This is one of the many things this team needs to improve on or they're going to get killed come crunch time (if this is not already).

Havelid wasn't the only one with piss-poor breakout pass tonight, but he's been not sharp at all. Something needs to be done with the back-group.

Old
02-22-2007, 09:17 PM
jpg428g

I expect to see Lehtonen in the goal next game. Hedberg had a pretty bad game. I thought we played well overall, but Havelid's turnover might have been the turning point in the game. You can't make mistakes like that in such an important game.

jpg428g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:19 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS ANDY SUTTON SUCKS.

And it even rubbed off on Havelid in that one. Hedburg was pretty bad, but at least he didn't give up the puck in a one-on-one while his team was changing lines, then hold the guy to put your team down. Andy Sutton is hands down the worst defender on this team.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:23 PM
KieferUGA

Sutton and Havelid are garbage. What a waste of a great offensive night.

0-1 in GDT's.

KieferUGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 09:30 PM
mackaveli

i'm just glad that we got one pt today. After TB tied it at 4-4 i was so nervous i couldn't even watch. I had to keep flipping back between this game and the NJ-NYR game to make sure NJ won. I thought it was over after the sutton penalty.

I have never seen a player so weak on his stick that one of two things occur, he whiffs on the puck completely, or is so weak he cannot raise the puck over the opponents stick so it gets trapped in a corner.

Again we lose in OT with a minute to go. I believe this is the 3rd or 4th time it has happened this year. I don't know why we don't play a more safe game with 2minutes to go. If i were coach i would tell my team to go for it for the first 3 minutes and if its not working just play it safe and wait for the shootout which we are good at and have a better chance of getting the bonus point.

And to be honest, i don't even want to be the divison leader because with that, we will have higher expectations and the pressure might get to the guys. I would much rather finish 6th or 7th and play NJ or TB in the playoffs on the road. We suck big time at home and i feel we would be much better to play the first two on the road to start the playoffs.

mackaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 10:19 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Either give Sutton less playtime or bring up Coburn to replace him. I have spent so much time defending that ****** to other hockey fans trying to convince them he is actually a great defenseman and not just a goon, citing his blocked shots etc, and this is what he does. I watch him BLOW on the pk, using his patented Stand Still and Poke **** technique each game, and make minor mistakes here and there that always seem to end up costing the team so much. I used to like him because he played with emotion, sometimes smashing his stick in half over the goal after giving up an empty-netter, but I am just so damn sick of him after the last 8 games that I never want to see him play again, much less top minutes.

And to top it all off he NEVER USES HIS BODY as an actual asset along the boards, only when he is randomly checking people. When I saw MARTY ST LOUIS pin him one time and take the puck away I spit my coke out I was laughing so hard. He's a 6'5", backstreet boy ***** of a terrible defenseman. And it only hurts so bad because I thought he was good. **** him and his salary.

Yeah, I'll go back to lurking now...

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 10:24 PM
mackaveli

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Either give Sutton less playtime or bring up Coburn to replace him. I have spent so much time defending that ****** to other hockey fans trying to convince them he is actually a great defenseman and not just a goon, citing his blocked shots etc, and this is what he does. I watch him BLOW on the pk, using his patented Stand Still and Poke **** technique each game, and make minor mistakes here and there that always seem to end up costing the team so much. I used to like him because he played with emotion, sometimes smashing his stick in half over the goal after giving up an empty-netter, but I am just so damn sick of him after the last 8 games that I never want to see him play again, much less top minutes.

And to top it all off he NEVER USES HIS BODY as an actual asset along the boards, only when he is randomly checking people. When I saw MARTY ST LOUIS pin him one time and take the puck away I spit my coke out I was laughing so hard. He's a 6'5", backstreet boy ***** of a terrible defenseman. And it only hurts so bad because I thought he was good. **** him and his salary.

Yeah, I'll go back to lurking now...
totally agree, i have no idea why coburn doesn't get called up and practice with the team. Let the other 6 defensemen know you cant ******* up or you'll sit and coburn will take your place. Seems like our D have no one pushing them and they are too relaxed thinking they are safe with vish getting traded. Coburn should have played 2 weeks ago.

Old
02-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Whaddagoal

It all comes down to the lack of total talent up and down the defense corps. The whole d group is being put in roles that over-extend their actual ability.

Not much this team can do anymore but hold on and claw its way to the finish line. It's been the giant question mark for the entire season - yet Waddel has done absolutely nothing on this front (still). In fact, I'm still waiting for the magical deal he's going to whip up after trading Vishevski. (Oh yeah, he was also a playoff tested player mind you). As fans we still have to live with Sutton, Hnidy and the rest of the overextended guys. And Havelid has been a warrior for this team, but he's reaching his breaking point, which has been everso apparent in his inconsistent play the past month.

This is something that probably just needs focusing on, but if the team can't make good and solid/confident plays in their own end, how is the puck expected to get the wingers smoothly? The teams consistancy has to start from the back, without it, everything suffers.

Aghh, I've been ranting a lot recently about the d recently, sorry .

I'm just so frustrated and baffled at the deals this team made recently and at the same time trying to piece actually how it has helped the boys. I want the GM to be accountable for a team that has been known for awhile to be thin up the middle, thin on the defense....

Old
02-22-2007, 11:17 PM
jpg428g

Whenever my friends watch games with me, they always ask "who is that big slow dude on defense who always gets beat?" I saw a couple times tonight when Sutton couldn't even make a pass across the ice to Havelid. Havelid would have to retreat back in the zone to retrieve the puck. Exelby has really stepped up his game lately. He made a few mistakes tonight, but also made some very good plays.

jpg428g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:57 AM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
this is the game is the game to determine if we are going to be in the playoffs or not.
i hope it wasn't

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Hate to say it, but I really think it was.

This team all year has just looked like a couple of players on their own, at the beginning of the season it was working, but now it just isnt. Right now I'd say this team is just Hossa, Kovalchuk and Exelby. Marian's game is finally getting back to where it was (Im convinced he was playing injured, he just didnt play like himself), Kovalchuk has remained fairly good even through this horrible slump, and Exelby is our only worthwhile dman.

DW has to go out and get us two more defensemen (Sopel, ???), and two centers (Smolinski, ???). We're desperate. Im looking forward to something big coming down on Tuesday. If nothing does...I have a feeling we'll miss the playoffs again.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 04:02 PM
flerd_trandle

This may have been the game that determines the SE divisions champ. However, the team is only 1 point behind Tampa with 19 remaining. Tampa has one game in hand.

OTOH, the Thrashers are only 3 points ahead of Carolina and the 8th spot. Four points ahead of the Islanders in the ninth spot. The team plays Carolina at home twice in the next nine days. Those games could serve to give th team some separation, or knock them down to third in the SE. The road game in Boston is points the team needs. The home game against Ottawa is an opportunity to pick up the points the team blew last week.

flerd_trandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 04:12 PM
mackaveli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Hate to say it, but I really think it was.

This team all year has just looked like a couple of players on their own, at the beginning of the season it was working, but now it just isnt. Right now I'd say this team is just Hossa, Kovalchuk and Exelby. Marian's game is finally getting back to where it was (Im convinced he was playing injured, he just didnt play like himself), Kovalchuk has remained fairly good even through this horrible slump, and Exelby is our only worthwhile dman.

DW has to go out and get us two more defensemen (Sopel, ???), and two centers (Smolinski, ???). We're desperate. Im looking forward to something big coming down on Tuesday. If nothing does...I have a feeling we'll miss the playoffs again.
i was kind of thinking the same thing but to be honest there is no way we miss the playoffs. There are 7 teams fighting for the last 3 playoffs. Atlanta, Montreal, Carolina, Toronto, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Boston. Atlanta is ahead of all of them even when games in hand are taken into account except the Islanders. Atlanta and Carolina play each other 3 more times but the rest of the other teams have to play each other much more.

NYI and NYR play each other 4 more times. Bos and Montreal play each 4 or 5 more times. Boston plays the rangers 2 more times. Toronto plays montreal twice but Buffalo 4 more times.
NYR plays montreal 3 more times as well. Each of the teams fighting for the last 3 spots play each other more times then Atlanta which favors us.

Atlanta has a favorable schedule compared to other teams. Obviously nothing is for certain but if this team goes 9-10 the last 19 we still finish with 90 points which might get us to the playoffs but i also don't see us finishing 9-10 down the stretch.

Old
02-24-2007, 07:10 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

I think the doom and gloom was called for on the western road trip but now it's a bit of overkill. The team has played well the last three games, the goaltending just hasn't been there.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline   Reply With Quote