HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gilbert or Greene?

View Poll Results: Greene or Gilbert?
Greene 38 57.58%
Gilbert 28 42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

vCash: 500
Gilbert or Greene?

If I had posted this last year or even at the start of this year, I would have been laughed at. Greene was a highly touted physical dman and Gilbert was an unknown.

Since then, Greene hasn't been bad, but hasn't really improved all that much either. Gilbert on the other had just keeps getting better and better. He is light years ahead of the player he was 2 years ago and if he can continue to improve at the same pace, he is going to become a #1 dman.

Greene on the other hand is younger so he still has a bright future ahead of him as well. He needs to start showing some more improvement in his game though.

The question is, who do you hold on to if we have to trade one? Who do you think will be the better player? I am sure somebody is going to say he would keep both and we would all love that. I just want to see how other people view these 2.

For me it is tough, but I would take Gilbert even though he got knocked out today. Greene has the higher upside but I think Gilbert is a pretty safe bet to develop into a good #4.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:40 PM
The Polak*

Gilbert is getting overrated pretty badly since he scored that tying goal.

Greene by a mile. I'd be happy if gilbert could be a regular #5-6 d-man, while I see greene as hopefully a solid second pairing D-man.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:43 PM
RiversQ

Greene has been terrible this year and hasn't really progressed as expected. I would say he's expendable. I still don't think the Oilers quite know what they have in Gilbert, so he might be worth waiting on for another year.

RiversQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:44 PM
ibis284

they play 2 totally different games so for me this makes no sence
if you want compare greene to roy and gilbert to our friend bergeron

ibis284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:47 PM
RiversQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis284 View Post
if you want compare greene to roy and gilbert to our friend bergeron
Oh really? Is one of them a baseball player? Basketball player perhaps? Oh I get it - the poster must have been talking about Gilbert Arenas not Tom Gilbert. Now it makes sense, they do play totally different games.

They're both defensemen in the NHL. That's enough for comparison.

RiversQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:48 PM
jadeddog

greene, and its not even close.... greene is 6 months younger than gilbert and has played 85 NHL games compared to gilberts 4.... greene also has the experience of a long playoff under his belt

gilbert may turn into a top-6 NHLer one day, and an argument could be made that hes a #6 NHLer right now, but greene already *is* a #5-6 NHLer..... its pretty cut and dry right now.... who knows about the future though, its a toss-up IMO... i see them both being #4-5 dmen, but one of them might become a top-3 guy as they both have the tools... it just depends on which one (if any) matures faster

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Spawn

Greene. Gilbert has only played in like 4 games.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversQ View Post
Greene has been terrible this year and hasn't really progressed as expected. I would say he's expendable. I still don't think the Oilers quite know what they have in Gilbert, so he might be worth waiting on for another year.
Once Smith is gone we could have a pretty non-physical blueline corps. But we have a small stable of young puck movers coming up. That alone could keep Greene here, plus organization is pretty high on him. I think he will come into his own in the next year or two, he has some good tools to work with. Much like a younger Gator that was given up on by a couple teams.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversQ View Post
I agree with Riv - Greene has regressed, but I'd like to see more of him before casting a vote, now that Bergeron is gone. 47+2 was a rotten pairing, but I'd like to see Greene with a somewhat-competent defensive partner. It still may not be enough to help Greene play more responsibly, but in my mind, the coaching staff needs to go back to the start to re-evaluate him. And now is not the time to do so, as long as we have an outside chance to make the dance. I think Greene is our #7-8 d-man by default, until our playoff fate is sown up.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:02 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Keep both.

And how has Greene regressed? He's looked solid for most of the year, with a few growing pains. That is what happens with rookie d-men.

And he is not expendable in the slightest. We have no other physical top 4 d-man in the system after Smith leaves.

EDIT: Also, I like Gilbert as much as the next guy, and have been raving about him all year in WBS, but he is really starting to get overrated a bit here since that goal. We need to tone down the expectations for some of these kids or we'll be punting them all out the door. Gilbert has looked good, but he hasn't even hit 10 games yet.

02-23-2007, 12:20 AM
hockeyaddict101

Both are two different types of dman and call me selfish but I hope they both develop into top 4 dman.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:31 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Gilbert. Big enough to be as effective as Greene in our zone, but a good puck-mover as well.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Keep both.

And how has Greene regressed? He's looked solid for most of the year, with a few growing pains. That is what happens with rookie d-men.

And he is not expendable in the slightest. We have no other physical top 4 d-man in the system after Smith leaves.
He's not expendable, but I still saw too many bad penalties on the boards from Greene so far this year. Too much obvious obstruction, and I wish he were a little better with his stick-checking (which was, oddly enough, a strength of Bergeron's).
Greene gets a mulligan for this year, IMO.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Traktor*

In the games that I watched of W/B I must have posted that TG was the best Defensemen on either team atleast 5 times. To be one of the best defensemen in the AHL as a rookie is impressive. My nod goes to Gilbert.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:54 AM
TowMater14

I don't know...a little early to judge maybe?

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:00 AM
NMK

Why would we trade either? hold onto them and they could both be top4 guys hopefully if they continue to improve. I would also disagree with alot of people who say that Greene isn't having a great season. He was paired with MAB. How do you play defence with a guy like that? Greene is a good, big, solid, strong defenceman, and I think he will be very important to the organization over the next 3-4 years.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:52 AM
JJonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis284 View Post
I agree with this. Greene is a stay at home defensive defenseman while Gilbert is more aggressive offensively. If we played Gilbert the way that we've played Greene this year, we might have gotten a few more scoring chances, but we definitely would have gotten scored on WAAAYY more.

JJonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 04:02 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 313
Gilbert has not played enough to be put up a pedle stool quite yet

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Oilerdiehard

On a side note has anyone noticed that Gilbert resembles Joe Thornton a little bit (facial features / hair - not skill level ). Might just be imagining it.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Keep both.

EDIT: Also, I like Gilbert as much as the next guy, and have been raving about him all year in WBS, but he is really starting to get overrated a bit here since that goal. We need to tone down the expectations for some of these kids or we'll be punting them all out the door. Gilbert has looked good, but he hasn't even hit 10 games yet.

This has nothing to do with his goal. The reason I am high on Gilbert is he has been constantly improving. I mean before his senior season in college, did any of us think he would become anything?

Since then he led his college team to a title, has been outstanding in the AHL as a rookie and has looked fine at the NHL level. I don't think he can keep this pace up but the fact that he has been improving leaves me optimistic.

I would also aruge that the Roy Gilbert pairing has been better then the Bergeron Greene pairing was. Now that might have just been having a rookie and Bergeron together.

I think Greene has more potential then Gilbert at this point, but he doesn't seem to be getting much closer to that potential.

I am sure we would all love to keep both, I just made this poll to see who others think is the more valuble dman and who is going to help us more in the future.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:19 AM
dynastydays

I've really liked Gilbert since his first game. he made some gutsy and smart pinches, excellent puck poise for a rookie. All that said, Semenov looked like a future star when he played in the AHL, so poise is overrated in such a small sample.

Greene will become a solid defender, gilbert has better awareness and offensive potential. Gilbert over Greene hands down.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:12 PM
rigger

Ideal dance partners if you ask me.

Our number 3-4 pair for years to come.

In a few years:

Smid - ???
Gilbert - Greene

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Arcane

Gilbert.

Bergeron masked a lot of Greene's retarded plays because people would automatically blame MAB, But Greene has caused a lot of problems.

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote