HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The cost of Avery

Old
02-22-2007, 05:16 PM
fortheloveof666
Resident soothsayer

vCash: 500
The cost of Avery

I'm hoping not to start a pissing match about this guy, but after reading a lot of the stuff thats come about since tuesday's game I felt the need to make a post here. I'll say first that I am a Devils fan, but I assure you that this post is made as a fan of the sport, and nothing more.

I know regardless I'm going to catch heat from some of you because some people can't put that fact aside, but I don't care because I know what I have to say is the rationale many of you are missing.

First off, has Sean Avery been a spark to your club? Sure. But he's also been like pouring acid in an already open wound too but I don't think you realize that. Sure he got up in Brodeur's face...and I think anyone that knows the guys career knows he ran into him on purpose whether it was soft or not. Had that been Jagr, Straka, or Nylander I don't imagine it would have gone down that way at all or of contact would have ever been made.

The guy is a classless player, and he might have the attitude to spark the team and give them an edge, but he's also a guy that can hold them back because he's not disciplined. So sure you all got your kicks out of him rocking Brodeur in the face, but notice how his tactics did nothing to get inside his head, he didn't budge after that moment. Notice how he took 4 minutes in penalties, and because of the scrum he caused NJ ended up on the powerplay.

Sure NJ didn't score so it didn't matter, but this was also a NJ team playing without 2 of its top offensive guys. And I think you all and I can both agree we don't have a hell of a lot of offense in our depth. So imagine if those 2 guys are in the lineup, which when they are we tend to do much better on powerplays. That could have already put us up a goal or so.

But the biggest thing everyone is missing is, on the play we scored the go-head goal, I think a lot of people failed to realize that during the chaos infront of NJ's net toward the end Avery once again trying to play "his" game runs into and lands ontop of Broduer consequently taking him out of the play, and allowing the Devils breakout to even happen the way it did. Had he been able to back check he might have been in the slot where Parise eventually took the pass to put the first shot on net. But instead he took himself out of the play.

I'm not saying its HIS fault we scored, but if he didn't try his cheap tricks maybe he would have been back in that play like a good player would have been and that game goes to OT.

I know there was a lot of banter about the days of Claude Lemieux in NJ and his antics similar to that of Avery's but like it's been said...he seldom played dirty on our organization. Its not that he didn't, but the things he did that were really dirty were almost only on other teams (particularly Colorado). And again, Lemieux put up great numbers, always had strong playoffs and won the Conn Smythe for a reason. Avery isn't very likely to do that any time soon, but rather put you in a position to lose a game.

You love him now, but when the games REALLY count (although this one did too) and he does something retarded because he can't contain himself and blows your teams opportunity all the things he does that you love aren't going to matter anymore. Plus you also have to take into account that the NY media (from what I have seen at least) is loving what he's doing to an extent, and you know he picks up the paper and basks in it.

The bottom line is, the guy is way too classless for a team like NY. As much as I don't like your team, I respect them and I would expect a move like this from a team like Philly rather than the Rangers. I know how message boards tend to work, and how people are uptight about their opinions but again it was said as a hockey fan and not much more. I more than likely won't respond so I wouldn't waste your time trying to insult my opinion if you don't agree. Just figured it was an alternative perspective some people weren't exactly seeing, that's all.

fortheloveof666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentisolation666 View Post
I'm hoping not to start a pissing match about this guy, but after reading a lot of the stuff thats come about since tuesday's game I felt the need to make a post here. I'll say first that I am a Devils fan, but I assure you that this post is made as a fan of the sport, and nothing more.

I know regardless I'm going to catch heat from some of you because some people can't put that fact aside, but I don't care because I know what I have to say is the rationale many of you are missing.

First off, has Sean Avery been a spark to your club? Sure. But he's also been like pouring acid in an already open wound too but I don't think you realize that. Sure he got up in Brodeur's face...and I think anyone that knows the guys career knows he ran into him on purpose whether it was soft or not. Had that been Jagr, Straka, or Nylander I don't imagine it would have gone down that way at all or of contact would have ever been made.

The guy is a classless player, and he might have the attitude to spark the team and give them an edge, but he's also a guy that can hold them back because he's not disciplined. So sure you all got your kicks out of him rocking Brodeur in the face, but notice how his tactics did nothing to get inside his head, he didn't budge after that moment. Notice how he took 4 minutes in penalties, and because of the scrum he caused NJ ended up on the powerplay.

Sure NJ didn't score so it didn't matter, but this was also a NJ team playing without 2 of its top offensive guys. And I think you all and I can both agree we don't have a hell of a lot of offense in our depth. So imagine if those 2 guys are in the lineup, which when they are we tend to do much better on powerplays. That could have already put us up a goal or so.

But the biggest thing everyone is missing is, on the play we scored the go-head goal, I think a lot of people failed to realize that during the chaos infront of NJ's net toward the end Avery once again trying to play "his" game runs into and lands ontop of Broduer consequently taking him out of the play, and allowing the Devils breakout to even happen the way it did. Had he been able to back check he might have been in the slot where Parise eventually took the pass to put the first shot on net. But instead he took himself out of the play.

I'm not saying its HIS fault we scored, but if he didn't try his cheap tricks maybe he would have been back in that play like a good player would have been and that game goes to OT.

I know there was a lot of banter about the days of Claude Lemieux in NJ and his antics similar to that of Avery's but like it's been said...he seldom played dirty on our organization. Its not that he didn't, but the things he did that were really dirty were almost only on other teams (particularly Colorado). And again, Lemieux put up great numbers, always had strong playoffs and won the Conn Smythe for a reason. Avery isn't very likely to do that any time soon, but rather put you in a position to lose a game.

You love him now, but when the games REALLY count (although this one did too) and he does something retarded because he can't contain himself and blows your teams opportunity all the things he does that you love aren't going to matter anymore. Plus you also have to take into account that the NY media (from what I have seen at least) is loving what he's doing to an extent, and you know he picks up the paper and basks in it.

The bottom line is, the guy is way too classless for a team like NY. As much as I don't like your team, I respect them and I would expect a move like this from a team like Philly rather than the Rangers. I know how message boards tend to work, and how people are uptight about their opinions but again it was said as a hockey fan and not much more. I more than likely won't respond so I wouldn't waste your time trying to insult my opinion if you don't agree. Just figured it was an alternative perspective some people weren't exactly seeing, that's all.

This from a team that has dressed Claude Lemieux for so many years? How about this first class citizen Doug Gilmour? Jim Korn was a goal scorer lol Perry Anderson he wasn't known as the worse cheap shot artist in the league for a while. Don't worry about Avery go tend to your own back yard

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:32 PM
gravy121

I realize we have a short sample size, but Avery certainly has been a positive - - I wish I was keeping track, and maybe someone has the numbers but I am quite certain he has drawn more penalty minutes then he has taken.

gravy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:36 PM
fob

Quote:
But he's also been like pouring acid in an already open wound too but I don't think you realize that.
I don't think that's completely true.

I think Avery really only becomes a problem if the team he's playing on is either very successful (home ice in the playoffs bound) or very miserable (Flyers/Kings roommates).

fob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Nich

you are just pissed because avery is our claude....deal with it and stop whinning

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:39 PM
DutchShamrock

Avery didn't run Brodeur on that play, he was taken out on the play, illegally at that. Interference. Same thing happened to Prucha, if the refs felt the desire to call it properly the goal wouldn't have happened. Also, the rush was 3 on 3, unfortunately the Ranger forward stopped skating at the blueline and let Parise skate in alone.

And if you want to point out a play where Avery may have cost us a goal, in all fairness you should point out the play where Avery was absolutely crucial in us scoring a goal by screening (and possibly bumping) Brodeur. So already it's a wash on the GF/GA argument. Plus...

Avery did get in Brodeur's head actually. Again, if the refs called it properly they would have handed Marty 2 for starting the ruckus... take note that the ref didn't have his hand up for the goalie interference until after the fighting commenced.
I see what you are saying about how he can cost us with his penalties but at the same token he draws more PP's than he gives up. He is a player that we lack... an agitator that can get under the opposition's skin. We have enough nice guys on the team, a balance must be struck if we want any success. And this is just my opinion, but once our agitators got going (Orr, Hollweg, Avery) in the 2nd period, the Rangers took over the game and in all honesty dominated the Devils for the rest of the period.

There's a good and a bad that comes with any player. Sure Jagr will score buckets and turn the other cheek when physically pressured, but maybe that style allows you to be intimidated and controlled. So either approach can cost you in a game, like I said, it's about balance and we were zero in the "sandpaper" category a few weeks ago.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:40 PM
ThirdEye

I can bet that if the Rangers make the playoffs Avery will lay off a little bit. Despite what some of you Devil's fans might think he's not really as dumb as he appears. So yeh, I disagree. He has been handling himself very well if you ask me

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

As of right now he has done much more good than bad, so judging from what we have seen of him thus far I feel he was a solid addition.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

no the rangers needed a guy like avery, however i must agree that at times it will hurt to have him on your team and you guys know that. Also many teams it'll be embarrassing to have him on ur team but at the end of the day I personally think he makes the Rangers better and tougher to play against.

other points...Claude was pretty tame as a Devil and you cant compare him to Avery
Claude has 10 20 goal seasons, 4 being 30 goal seasons and 1 40 goal season, 4 stanley cup rings and one con smythe...Avery has a hot girlfriend

and about Gilmour...curious...i only saw him in his later years and in his short lived habs years...was he really dirty?...i always though he was a respected player...anybody have some examples?

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:55 PM
fortheloveof666
Resident soothsayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Avery didn't run Brodeur on that play, he was taken out on the play, illegally at that. Interference. Same thing happened to Prucha, if the refs felt the desire to call it properly the goal wouldn't have happened. Also, the rush was 3 on 3, unfortunately the Ranger forward stopped skating at the blueline and let Parise skate in alone.

And if you want to point out a play where Avery may have cost us a goal, in all fairness you should point out the play where Avery was absolutely crucial in us scoring a goal by screening (and possibly bumping) Brodeur. So already it's a wash on the GF/GA argument. Plus...

Avery did get in Brodeur's head actually. Again, if the refs called it properly they would have handed Marty 2 for starting the ruckus... take note that the ref didn't have his hand up for the goalie interference until after the fighting commenced.
I see what you are saying about how he can cost us with his penalties but at the same token he draws more PP's than he gives up. He is a player that we lack... an agitator that can get under the opposition's skin. We have enough nice guys on the team, a balance must be struck if we want any success. And this is just my opinion, but once our agitators got going (Orr, Hollweg, Avery) in the 2nd period, the Rangers took over the game and in all honesty dominated the Devils for the rest of the period.

There's a good and a bad that comes with any player. Sure Jagr will score buckets and turn the other cheek when physically pressured, but maybe that style allows you to be intimidated and controlled. So either approach can cost you in a game, like I said, it's about balance and we were zero in the "sandpaper" category a few weeks ago.
I get what you're saying, but again I still don't think he's what you needed. Per se. The entire thing about running into Brodeur is obviously debatable on both sides. But if he gets you a goal and contributes to maybe one being scored doesn't that nullify his presence somwhat? Hockey isn't about being even, it's about being ahead.

I think its sort of funny how people are intent on believing its because I like NJ. I've hated the guy long before he ever got to NY. Think as you wish, I still think it's a reasonable discussion

fortheloveof666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 05:59 PM
GarretJoseph

HAHA Hes even gettin under the fans skins so much they feel the need to post on our rangers boards.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 06:05 PM
kovalev27hf

you whining sounds familiar wonder what sean would say about you. get used to him guy because he's gonna be in your face for a long time. the guy has been NOTHING BUT a positive. not only should that have been a wash but the so called interference on the winning goal should have been a ranger powerplay. he did everything right. and honestly if he plays like this every night i don't care WHAT he says. he's everything we've been missing for so long

kovalev27hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 06:07 PM
shoothepuck

Avery got 4 minutes in penalties, because the gutless refs didn't make the right calls. Marty started it all by shoving Avery, which should have been called, or Diving, which wasn't called either,(nice back flip sowcow with a half twist), Mary should have been given 4 minutes for his antics. Talk about acid on wounds, what about jackass Janssen threatening Lundqvist?. If he had any brains, he would have gone after Avery. Maybe after he takes a few more of Coltons shots to the face, he won't be able to mouth off for a few games.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
HAHA Hes even gettin under the fans skins so much they feel the need to post on our rangers boards.
another reason he needs a long term contract..haha

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 06:12 PM
BigE

Quote:

I did my best to read your lengthy post, which is now cited by well-known dictionaries in reference to the term "verbal diarrhea."

Here's some advice: the next time you try to make an earth shattering point, and pass on godly wisdom try to make your point before the 100 word mark.

Nobody wants to read this garbage, because there's no way for anyone to respond without taking 30 minutes to read it!

Be concise.

As far as the actual post is concerned I'll say this: it warrants no serious rebutle. You've made a host of assumptions - many of which are extremely premature and/or baseless on account of the frequency of the accusation.

Don't waste our time.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 06:38 PM
eco's bones

Avery has been fine so far. You can almost tell that by the number of posters of fans from other teams coming here to complain about him--as if we were able to do something to stop him from antagonizing whatever team you root for. No we can't and by the way we enjoy it anyway. It's about time that we have someone that causes this kind of animosity--I mean it's not like the Devils don't have Janssens running around (kind of like Hollweg but a little more successful) and I kind of remember a guy named Mike Danton who pretty much put the finishing touch to Pavel Bure's career. Anyway Jagr has had a big fat target on his back for the last two seasons for any slug who wants to do whatever he wants. Lundqvist gets regularly run over--and by Devils players too. So fair is fair and too bad if you don't like it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I did my best to read your lengthy post, which is now cited by well-known dictionaries in reference to the term "verbal diarrhea."

Here's some advice: the next time you try to make an earth shattering point, and pass on godly wisdom try to make your point before the 100 word mark.

Nobody wants to read this garbage, because there's no way for anyone to respond without taking 30 minutes to read it!

Be concise.

As far as the actual post is concerned I'll say this: it warrants no serious rebutle. You've made a host of assumptions - many of which are extremely premature and/or baseless on account of the frequency of the accusation.

Don't waste our time.
well put.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Keetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
This from a team that has dressed Claude Lemieux for so many years? How about this first class citizen Doug Gilmour? Jim Korn was a goal scorer lol Perry Anderson he wasn't known as the worse cheap shot artist in the league for a while. Don't worry about Avery go tend to your own back yard
Well Said!!!!!!

What about the classless FLOP by Marty. Thats something you see on pro wrestling.

Avery is a class player because he plays 100% each and every shift. He's all heart.

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 07:02 PM
gaglinefan

Spoiled Club

I must say watching the game replay the incident between Sean Avery and Marty Brodeur was simply this: Avery obviously accidently hit Marty, the replay clearly showed that. MB struck back, ok clearing the crease but was never really called for that. The threatening by NJD bench was bush from the same guy who rammed our star injured player in the playoffs last year. That is a simple statement of facts. When you get it your way most of the time it is hard to accept that not everything that happens to you is against you. JMHO Lets just play hard and enjoy some good competitive games the rest of the way.

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 07:16 PM
fob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaglinefan View Post
That is a simple statement of facts.
That's pretty funny.

fob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 07:35 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 07:36 PM
vlh1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I can bet that if the Rangers make the playoffs Avery will lay off a little bit. Despite what some of you Devil's fans might think he's not really as dumb as he appears. So yeh, I disagree. He has been handling himself very well if you ask me
To add to this, I watched almost every Kings game this year while Avery was there, and he was as vanilla as can be. The Kings told him to tone it down and he did. He was nothing like this while with the Kings this year. Obviously the Rangers have given him the green light to be as big an ******* as he wants to be. If they tell him to tone it down, I believe he will.

vlh1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Avery and Hossa have been the Rangers 2 best forwards since the trade.

Ive got nothing but glowing things to say about him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 07:46 PM
blue2noise

I hope he continues to run Brodeur over and over and over and over again.

You wan't to complain about something as a fan of the sport? Complain about how your team "almost" holds and "almost" hooks the whole ******* game.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 07:59 PM
dedalus

Quote:

Meh. This is a lot of verbiage when your point really boils down to this: "he's also a guy that can hold them back because he's not disciplined."

The quite easy answer is: "We'll see."

We'll see if in key circumstances he is as ill-disciplined as you claim, and we'll see if any discipline-based problems he creates actually outweigh the quite obvious benefits he brings to the team.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote