HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So now we're chasing Calgary?!

Old
02-23-2007, 12:20 AM
oilfaninvan

vCash: 500
So now we're chasing Calgary?!

What the heck happened to the Flamers?? Nice to see them dropping like this.

I am still on board for a miracle run to the playoffs, we can do this, but what makes this all the more important isn't just that we are trying to make the dance, but NOW we have a chance to actually boot the Flames OUT!!! I mean c'mon!! What more could you ask for? We HAVE to make the playoffs now!!

The Flames have a big target on their backs and they had better watch out, because I think the Oilers just got a little more incentive to win some games here.

7 back, by the time we come back to Edmonton it could be 3 at best. Can you imagine? I can.

I believe.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

The Flames are a different team on the road.... They are just horrible on the road. but beasts at home...

They are at home the next three games.. so we'll see.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Mr Sakich

look at the flames and ask the question - what is there identity?

If they miss the playoffs, the word "identity" will be posted 1,000 times a day on calgarypuck.com

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
Hmm...last time the Flames dropped in the standings, we thought we could catch them, and they promptly pulled it all together and took back the division lead.
That being said, I'm with oilfaninvan - you just gotta believe. Funny how we say that so often about the Oilers, but it's never overstated. Almost feels like church.

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:00 AM
poo

i'm gonna chase nashville

poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:01 AM
Matts

One thing I'll say for the Flames

there's no bloody way they'll be this bad on the road next year. Matt pointed it out over at BOA but some strange stuff happens to them on the road and that 1-1 goal tonight was just the latest. There's a theory among baseball statheads that you can't keep winning one-run games and I think the same proves true for hockey clubs. Van wins every bloody game by a goal and do you think that will happen again next year? Cgy's goal differential doesn't paint them as a terrible road team yet they are.

And for an example in our own backyard how about Horc? He was creating scoring opps all season long but there was a time where he couldn't buy a break and now he's a PPG guy for the bulk of 30 games which is a pretty big sample size and paints him more in a '06 light then it does in a Oct-nov '07 season light

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Stranger things have happened but it is still going to be a very difficult thing to do. Barring a Sharks-like run of .750 hockey, we're basically SOL with too many teams to catch playing each other and those damn 3 point games taking place seemingly every night.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:29 AM
Oilerfan120582

The fact that Calgary is now the closest team to us doesn't bode well. Regardless of what the standings say I still think they are the best team in the division, they just can't buy a break on the road and never win stupid shootouts.

Oilerfan120582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:32 AM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan120582 View Post
The fact that Calgary is now the closest team to us doesn't bode well. Regardless of what the standings say I still think they are the best team in the division, they just can't buy a break on the road and never win stupid shootouts.
Yeah and with 2 games against Calgary, and 5(?) against Minny. I wish Minny was doing worse...

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:52 AM
PunjabiOil*

Minny plays the Flames 4 more times, the Oilers 5.

Big divisional games coming up

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:07 AM
Rin

Calgary just lost their 7th straight on the road tonight. Big points right there.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:07 AM
Traktor*

If I was to bet my house at the start of the season on Edmonton missing the playoffs or Edmonton going on a 15-20 game win streak you know i'm double'n down on the streak

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:08 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
Minny plays the Flames 4 more times, the Oilers 5.

Big divisional games coming up
For a short series...it's not worth it and management knows it. We need to get back to being a contender, having a decent shot at the division crown. The deadline will be the final nail in this season. I'm still hopeful for the future.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Calgary just lost their 7th straight on the road tonight. Big points right there.
Yeah, but of course they had to lose it in OT. Idiots.

7 back, 21 games to go.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:38 AM
D_Oil

The season is on the brink, and especially with Stoll and perhaps Pisani out long term I'm losing optimism (and I'm a very optimistic person ).

Having said that, I do find some solace in the fact that I can't think of when was the last time a playoff-picture was set with 20 games to go, teams almost always rise and fall down the strech to make it interseting.

As dire as things look, there is still 20 games left (with a lot play between the teams currently sitting in 7,8,9 remaining). It just seems to simple to expect no playoff race to develop in the west, something has to happen to. And if there is to be a race the Oil are a very likely candidate to be involved.

Or maybe not

D_Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:39 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

I wouldn't say the Oilers are Chasing the Flames. They're merely about to pass a nearly dead carcass of a team.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:41 AM
stangconv

I wonder what the flames schedue is like... I hope alot of road games like us....

EDIT: Decided to look into this....

They have 21 games left

10 home games
11 Away games

If they dont get their **** together we could very well pass them....

Last edited by stangconv: 02-23-2007 at 02:46 AM.
stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:45 AM
D_Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post
I wonder what the flames schedue is like... I hope alot of road games like us....
11 on the road, 10 at home. Same as the Oil.

D_Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:36 AM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan120582 View Post
Well, I think the Oilers have been playing pretty good lately considering they are without Stoll, Moreau, Pisani and Tjarnqvist. They just need bounces to go their way. They are having a terrible time scoring even with lots of decent shots and a few decent scoring chances (could be more of both). Seemed like we started to take advantage of scoring chances, the most glaring being Sykora in Ottawa with his steal in the slot and wiring it - that is a shot that just HAS to go in and it finally did for this team. It's about time.

I just hope Calgary is extinguished (lame cliche, but true).

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:46 AM
orcatown

I damn sure that most Canuck fans would be delighted if you caught the Flames. Agree thou that they are probably the best team in the division so it won't be easy.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 07:49 AM
chance
Edmonton Trolliers

11 games on the road for the Flames, very good news.

Now are the Oilers up for it? Can they step it up, we'll see in Detriot.

If we do pull it off, Detriot anyone?

Last edited by chance: 02-23-2007 at 09:10 AM.
chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:12 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
I still think Minny is the team we are chasing. We're 9 points back of the Wild, and 7 back of Calgary, but we have 1 game in hand on Minnesota and 5 games against them. We play the Flames twice, so we do have a chance of closing the gap, but only if we win in our division. Almost half of our remaining games are against NW opponents. There's still lots of room for teams to climb and fall, but we're not making it in unless we can change our fortunes against our division rivals, because we've sucked there all season.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I still think Minny is the team we are chasing. We're 9 points back of the Wild, and 7 back of Calgary, but we have 1 game in hand on Minnesota and 5 games against them. We play the Flames twice, so we do have a chance of closing the gap, but only if we win in our division. Almost half of our remaining games are against NW opponents. There's still lots of room for teams to climb and fall, but we're not making it in unless we can change our fortunes against our division rivals, because we've sucked there all season.
Here's a question:

Say the Oilers lose tonight, which in all honesty is the most likely outcome. That would burn up the game in hand they have on Minnie, leaving them 9 back.

Say they go into Minnesota and despite a gutsy effort, lose in OT to fall 10 back.

10 points back, 20 games to go, 4 games left against them...if you're Lowe, would you sell?

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:26 AM
McDraekke
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Here's a question:

Say the Oilers lose tonight, which in all honesty is the most likely outcome. That would burn up the game in hand they have on Minnie, leaving them 9 back.

Say they go into Minnesota and despite a gutsy effort, lose in OT to fall 10 back.

10 points back, 20 games to go, 4 games left against them...if you're Lowe, would you sell?
Would definitely get rid of the UFA's that won't be stickin' around next year. Markkanen, Tjarnqvist, maybe Sykora, etc.
Start lookin' at what Smith might get us....

McDraekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

I agree entirely, its not the point spread that matters, we need to win the head to head games cause without it we dont have enough games to catch either of them any way.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote