HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So now we're chasing Calgary?!

Old
02-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Reason

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
I agree entirely, its not the point spread that matters, we need to win the head to head games cause without it we dont have enough games to catch either of them any way.
I agree also. Gotta win the head to head matches, not enough games left to catch anybody without them. You also gotta think the "law of averages" will catch up alittle bit with Calgarys road record (the slump will eventually be busted). Looking at their schedule, it isnt totally nuts to think they can finish up winning 8 out of 10 at home and 5 out of 11 on the road, leaving them with 97 pts. The Oilers would have to go 16-4-1 just to equal that. I just don't see this club playing .800 hockey (approx). The Oilers are still chasing the Wild.

Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:04 PM
oilerfan18

And win in regulation. Flames always manage to get into OT somehow.

Flames have 9 OT loses and Wild 5. Oilers have 6.

oilerfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:17 PM
namflashback

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan18 View Post
And win in regulation. Flames always manage to get into OT somehow.

Flames have 9 OT loses and Wild 5. Oilers have 6.
And a big ton of the Wild's wins are in SO.

Well, I remember a team that not long ago was first into the trade deals to stock-up for the playoffs. Despite the new personnel (2D, 1LW, and a Goalie) they continued to struggle, even losing a must win against a lowly St. Louis backup goalie. Fortunately, one of the teams they were chasing lost a H&H versus the sharks, making it easier for the team to clinch in game 81. Remember that team?

The Flames are playing tight right now, if they figure it out, they might have something.

In the meantime, is Minnesota's recent run a lucky streak, or are they legit? Backstrom has played great for them since Fernandez's injury.

namflashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Spawn

IF Gabby hadn't missed like 30 games, then Minnesota would be far and ahead the division leaders, with him in the lineup, were not catching them. Then again I don't think we are going to catch Calgary, but anything can happen, Im pulling for it. I just hope lowe doesn't trade away a bunch of assests as a buyer and we end up 2,3,4 points out of the playoffs, that would suck big time.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
IF Gabby hadn't missed like 30 games, then Minnesota would be far and ahead the division leaders, with him in the lineup, were not catching them. Then again I don't think we are going to catch Calgary, but anything can happen, Im pulling for it. I just hope lowe doesn't trade away a bunch of assests as a buyer and we end up 2,3,4 points out of the playoffs, that would suck big time.
That's my big worry as well.

If we're not going to sell, I'd rather the Oilers stand pat and let the chips fall where they may.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Man all the times we have played brutal and lost games we should have won would be well worth it if we could knock out the Flames. What a slap in the face that would be.

Problem is that Calgary has a pretty good lineup and shouldn't continue to struggle. Maybe losing a good team guy like Ferrence was our equivalent of losing a good team guy like Reasoner last year? Takes maybe 5-10 games to adjust and then it pays off? I hope not but it is possible.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote