Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames in the playoffs (knock on wood)

Old
02-23-2007, 09:52 AM
chriss_co

vCash: 500
Flames in the playoffs (knock on wood)

i have this feeling that the flames will finish up the remaining games around .500.. which means 2 things

- we wont win the division (vancouver looks poised to lock it up)
- edmonton/colorado won't be able to overtake us for the final playoff spot (knock on wood again)

with that said, it looks like dallas will solidfy the 6th spot.. and that we probably won't overtake the wild since gaborik is looking strong as is backstrom (while fernandez is out)

if we finish 8th, we will face either the red wings or the predators (it looks like the preds are trying to get forsberg going but once that happens, i can see them taking the 1st spot except that zetterberg has really gone nuts lately and that should be enough for the red wings to finish 1st in the west)

nonetheless, it looks like it'll be a 1st round matchup between the flames and either the red wings or the predators (of course there are alot of games left and anything can happen but on the current trend this is what it looks like will happen)

given this, how will the flames do in the playoffs against either of those teams??

yes, they have to figure out how to win on the road.. but i think more importantly, when they rematch against the red wings later this season, they'd better whallop them in revenge of the last meeting or else, i really can't see the flames winning a 1st round match against the red wings.. their defense is extremely solid this year and the flames have yet to show the same defensive consistency required to win in the playoffs

against nashville, the flames have always had problems and if forsberg gets going, i also cant see the flames beating this team

the only bright side i can see w/ us finishing 8th is that could be what the doctor ordered.. it seems this team needs to play w/ more urgency and tends to do that when their backs are against the wall.. finishing the rest of the season unspectacularly and just making the 8th spot against a powerhouse like the red wings might fuel this team in the 1st round to show up.. being the underdog has always been a plus for the flames and it may help again

thoughts??

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:17 AM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance View Post
Flames have been playing like garbage, what makes you so "sure" the Oilers won't catch them?
I didn't say i was sure.. i said i had a feeling

and the flames play like garbage on the road.. at home they are much better, hence the .500 comment

why u probably wont catch up? cuz you guys have to win approximately 70-80% of the rest of your games.. and you'll need the flames to play sub .500 hockey to overcome the point differential.. plus we meet a couple times on the remaining schedule too

oh, the other reason you probably won't catch up? cuz come trade deadline day, you guys will turn into sellers and trade your veteran UFA players for draft picks and prospects while filling their holes w/ AHLers

the flame will be underdogs against the red wings.. are you willing to say we are the favorites against the wings or the predators right now?!?!?!?!

if your precious oilers made the postseason, you would also be underdogs.. but like i said, that isn't likely to happen

Old
02-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Seeing as how you aren't going to have home ice advantage this year, being so good at home doesn't matter in the playoffs if you can't win one single game on the road.

Flames aren't underdogs, and they aren't going to win anything in the playoffs other then a first round exit(IF, they make it).

Btw, I guess you weren't paying attention to the SJ Sharks last year, at about this time. I suggest you go look.
dude is this post necessary? this is the Flames board, leave them alone.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 01:30 PM
VoiceOfReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
dude is this post necessary? this is the Flames board, leave them alone.
Sorry 'bout that Flames fans--Declassified is just upset that nobody on the Oilers Board reads his posts or acknowledges his existence.

VoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Popcorn_Shrimp*

what really matters..is the fact vcr owns all of alberta! mwahahaha
Going to finish top of the nw! BOOYA!

on a side note....i think cgy would beat detroit..but not nashv

Popcorn_Shrimp* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 05:06 PM
VoiceOfReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by polish_flyboi View Post
what really matters..is the fact vcr owns all of alberta! mwahahaha
Going to finish top of the nw! BOOYA!

on a side note....i think cgy would beat detroit..but not nashv
Last time I checked, the League doesn't award teams for winning their division. Is it just me, or do the Canucks look a lot like the '06 Flames? You should reserve comment until your Canucks win a Playoff series.

VoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
Is it just me, or do the Canucks look a lot like the '06 Flames?.
Actually we look alot like the 2004 Flames. And I'm not referring to what you guys did in the post season, but rather our "style of play" so far in the regular season which is quite similiar to the Flames of 2004.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Regular season play doesn't matter if you choke in the playoffs, sorry, try again.
Try again? How about stating some actual facts instead of insults? The Canucks employ a forechecking style where they send two or more players in the oppostion zone to force a turnover as opposed to the traditional trap style where you wait in the neutral zone/between the bluelines. This is exactly how the Flames played in 2004. Hence my comparison between the two teams.

Old
02-23-2007, 06:06 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Btw, I guess you weren't paying attention to the SJ Sharks last year, at about this time. I suggest you go look.
I suggest you take a closer look at the Sharks yourself. Then take a good look at your oilers.

The Sharks actually have good players. If you see any similarities come tell me.

Old
02-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Actually we look alot like the 2004 Flames. And I'm not referring to what you guys did in the post season, but rather our "style of play" so far in the regular season which is quite similiar to the Flames of 2004.
the core of the canucks is still pretty much the same as all their playoff disapointments... i dont expect much of a change this time around

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
the core of the canucks is still pretty much the same as all their playoff disapointments... i dont expect much of a change this time around
Except you're forgetting the one difference. Ask the Senators about what happens when you have fairly decent players except for one key position. But I wasn't referring to what we may or may not do in the playoffs, but how the team is playing right now. Luongo doesn't have any playoff experience and that is the unknown factor.

Old
02-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Except you're forgetting the one difference. Ask the Senators about what happens when you have fairly decent players except for one key position. But I wasn't referring to what we may or may not do in the playoffs, but how the team is playing right now. Luongo doesn't have any playoff experience and that is the unknown factor.
the canucks didnt just lose because of goaltending... they also lost because of a lack of clutch performances by their key players... good goaltending isnt enough just ask the Flames of '06

Old
02-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
It is?

-Jovo
-Cloutier
-Auld
-Allen
-Bertuzzi

+Luongo
+Mitchell
+Bieksa
...and no more 2nd line roles for the Sedins.

That's similar... how?

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
It is?

-Jovo
-Cloutier
-Auld
-Allen
-Bertuzzi

+Luongo
+Mitchell
+Bieksa
...and no more 2nd line roles for the Sedins.

That's similar... how?
Linden, Sedin, Sedin, Morrison, Ohlund, Salo... nope not the same at all

Old
02-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Linden, Sedin, Sedin, Morrison, Ohlund, Salo... nope not the same at all
You consider Linden and Salo "core" players? I suppose an argument could be made for Salo, but Linden? As for the Sedins, I already mentioned that their role now is way different.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
You consider Linden and Salo "core" players? I suppose an argument could be made for Salo, but Linden? As for the Sedins, I already mentioned that their role now is way different.
is Linden not the heart of the Canucks? their leader? if thats not a core player what is... intagibles can be just as important as production

Old
02-23-2007, 11:22 PM
FLYLine24*

(Knocks on wood)

Im rooting for you guys. You've easily turned into my favorite team in the west. Every single Saturday night at 10(est) I am tuning into you guys. You have so many players i just love watching (Kipper, Iggy, Lombardi and of course Dion).

Can't wait to root you on this offseason.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 01:13 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
(Knocks on wood)

Im rooting for you guys. You've easily turned into my favorite team in the west. Every single Saturday night at 10(est) I am tuning into you guys. You have so many players i just love watching (Kipper, Iggy, Lombardi and of course Dion).

if i could say the same about the rangers i would... but i cant ... but seriously thanks for the jesture... i just dont get whats giong on anymore... i'm not ready to just blame the coach like many others seem to be doing because in teh end the players are responsible... and having a scapegoat wont help this team win

Old
02-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
How about this one, enjoy golfing.
dont get ahead of yourself there buddy... you arent in a playoff spot yet

Old
02-24-2007, 02:00 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
dont get ahead of yourself there buddy... you arent in a playoff spot yet
no, he meant the oilers are going to enjoy golfing.

And whats up with this topic? do we need this topic? If so, i am going to start a topic featuring the sun will rise from the east (knock on wood)

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:41 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by youneedhockey101 View Post
no, he meant the oilers are going to enjoy golfing.

And whats up with this topic? do we need this topic? If so, i am going to start a topic featuring the sun will rise from the east (knock on wood)
Did you even read the first post?

Speaking of which, unless the Canucks start playing sloppy anytime soon the Flames will not win the division. 6th place will be possible but unlikely and 7th is reasonable (moreso than the Oilers taking 8th).

And of all the possible playoff matches I hope that the Flames line up against the Red Wings, if this team shows some intensity and emotion, which has been a long time coming, the Wings will be the most likely team to get beaten. Unlike Nashville and Anaheim, I just don't see the Wings matching up to a nearly equal offensive team with the goaltending and potential physical play the Flames have. Without that physical intensity it won't matter what team the Flames line up against, it'll be a first round exit 5 or less, barring another near disaster like Giguere.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:52 AM
therealdeal

Hopefully we do make the playoffs so we get that extra 2 games of revenue at home before being defeated in 5, or possibly six.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Oilers Fan 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
(Knocks on wood)

Pierre is that you?????

Oilers Fan 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Rover*

Quote:
the canucks didnt just lose because of goaltending... they also lost because of a lack of clutch performances by their key players... good goaltending isnt enough just ask the Flames of '06
No the canucks did lose because of cloutier. He didn't even provide good goaltending. The 3-1 series lead blown to the wild in the 2nd round was entirely his fault. Last 3 games of that series he allowed 15 goals on 45 shots!!

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 01:18 PM
RandomRules

Quote:
The difference here is that good goaltending gives a team confidence, and likewise bad goaltending (or REALLY bad goaltending) makes a team grip their sticks a hell of a lot tighter.

RandomRules is offline   Reply With Quote