HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter to CAR

Old
02-23-2007, 03:28 PM
DeathFromAbove

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
I also like the fact that since JR is so high on Carter, if he performs here at all and Walker goes on to greener pastures if he does, then Carter would be a good back up plan in terms of retaining a top nine forward for a reasonable price. Carter's value right now is no doubt in the tank and he'll likely be looking at a REALLY significant paycut no matter if he looks like Bobby Orr or Dave Karpa for the remainder of the year.

And like someone else said on another thread, there is no doubt getting traded for a 5th round pick will light a fire under Carters ass.

Imo, playing with guys like Staal & Brindy until Cole gets back will help him get his confidence back and he could absolutely replace Scott Walker next year at a much much cheaper price.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDFA View Post
And like someone else said on another thread, there is no doubt getting traded for a 5th round pick will light a fire under Carters ass.

Imo, playing with guys like Staal & Brindy until Cole gets back will help him get his confidence back and he could absolutely replace Scott Walker next year at a much much cheaper price.
I wouldn't really say "replace", Scott Walker because that's a tall task for anyone. However, with Ray Whitney being a MUST sign it's not likely we'll be able to give to Walker what Walker is worth to another team just like Matt Cullen of last season. The knock on Walker was that he couldn't stay healthy and put an entire season together at a high level and he has done that this year in a contract season. That spells open your checkbook for Carolina and the fact that he's only played one year here and it wasn't our Cup season, it's not looking good for a hometown discount.

With the maturation of Ladd into a player that can play the "crash and bang" style that Walker plays and with what we hope to be a healthy Erik Cole, the loss of a Scott Walker may not hurt as bad if we're able to get a pretty decent discount on a player that has been a known scorer in the past that could regain form with a talent lot of offensive players in a low pressure situation.

Carter and Walker are on two differant worlds in terms of consistant effort on a given night, but he has a history of putting the puck in the net. I think no way he "replaces" Scott Walker, but he wouldn't be a bad contingency plan.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 04:07 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

From the highlights I was able to watch on NHL.com, Carter looks like someone that will get in front of the net and knock in rebounds which is exactly what we need. Probably isn't as physical as Andrew Ladd, but he could take on a similar role offensively. He also still seems to have some speed, which will work well in our offense. I'm pretty excited about this move. Hopefully, they'll give him an opportunity with one of our top two lines and not instantly relegate him to the third or fourth line.

And with the acquisition of Carter, Bayda is sent back to Albany for the fifth time this year. He probably hates us.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
And with the acquisition of Carter, Bayda is sent back to Albany for the fifth time this year. He probably hates us.
No way, Jose. When Bayda is called up he gets an NHL level check as compared to an AHL level check. He'll take his free flight up here twenty times a year to make $495k as opposed to the $95k he makes in Albany. The numbers may be off but you get the idea.

I think a point the bears repeating is expect Jeff O'Neill post Ron Francis in terms of consistancy and ability. Remember how we used to funnel the play to get O'Neill a shot on the powerplay because he wasn't able to do it himself? Expect much the same with Carter. Great shot on this guy, he just can't work against a defender. He has to get lost to score goals.

Old
02-23-2007, 04:27 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
No way, Jose. When Bayda is called up he gets an NHL level check as compared to an AHL level check. He'll take his free flight up here twenty times a year to make $495k as opposed to the $95k he makes in Albany. The numbers may be off but you get the idea.

I think a point the bears repeating is expect Jeff O'Neill post Ron Francis in terms of consistancy and ability. Remember how we used to funnel the play to get O'Neill a shot on the powerplay because he wasn't able to do it himself? Expect much the same with Carter. Great shot on this guy, he just can't work against a defender. He has to get lost to score goals.
Which is why I think he could succeed with Ray Whitney. If Carter is anywhere within a twenty yard radius of the puck, Whitney will be able to get a pass to him.

Old
02-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

I like it, how can you not for a 5th rounder. As someone said, it looks low risk / high reward.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
You guys won this trade, basically we just wanted him off of our roster, he was playing on the 4th line with Jody Shelley and Manny Malhotra, we can get a minor leaguer to do that for the rest of the year for cheap. Next, I hope the Jackets can dump Berard or Foote.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

I don't really think there are winners or losers in something like this - clearly a salary dump for you guys and a low-cost pickup for us. Now we'll see if he wants to earn a new contract and help us along the way.

Think I saw Anson will wear #77 for us.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 06:49 PM
DeputyDan

The price is worth the risk.

DeputyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:28 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Some nights he looked disinterested. Others like he didn't want to get his hair wet.

He went from 2nd to 4th line and stayed there. And that's saying quite a lot because we had a lot of other crappy wingers who didn't play well either.

Hope he works out for you but don't get your shorts in a wad when he doesn't.

P.S. We want Ray Whitney back when you're done with him.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:57 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Wait, I'm starting to put 2 and 2 together:

crappy play + traded for a 5th + other GMs won't touch him + what Caniacforever said about his shoulder = McLean must have made it known that Carter's suckage is due to injury.

Like Caniacforever has been saying (and as I said years ago) Anson Carter = Jeff O'Neill, which is fine as long as he's not pissing all over the streets of Raleigh (something O'Neill loved to do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
P.S. We want Ray Whitney back when you're done with him.
Get your own Ray Whitney!

/me hides Ray in the basement.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:38 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I love this trade. We needed more guys who will go to the net and bang in some rebounds or shoot first since we already have some great playmakers who hesitate to shoot sometimes. It should be interesting to see who he plays with. Hopefully we can put him on the 3rd line with Vasicek centering him once everyone gets healthy.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:16 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
I love this trade. We needed more guys who will go to the net and bang in some rebounds or shoot first since we already have some great playmakers who hesitate to shoot sometimes. It should be interesting to see who he plays with. Hopefully we can put him on the 3rd line with Vasicek centering him once everyone gets healthy.
Can you imagine our lineup once everyone is healthy?

Andrew Ladd
Cory Stillman
Eric Staal
Erik Cole
Justin Williams
Ray Whitney
Rod Brind'Amour
Scott Walker

We'll have to somehow squeeze all of that talent into three lines, we'll have a #3 line that could match up with just about any #1 line in the NHL.

Anson Carter is listed as a center on our website, I wouldn't be surprised if we tried out Carter as our third-line center.

Old
02-24-2007, 01:40 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Hey guys, Canucks fan here.

Just wanted to say congrats on landing Carter. We would have picked him up ourselves if we weren't so close to the cap. Carter's 2.5 million dollar contract was too much for us to handle otherwise we would have snapped him up in a milisecond for a 5th round pick.

Don't expect miracles from AC, but if he's able to play with even half-way decent linemates expect him to pot plenty of garbage goals from within 5 feet of the net, usually off of tap-ins and rebounds. Always thought of him as a poor man's version of Ryan Smyth when he was in Vancouver... goes to the net hard and isn't afraid of physical contact. He didn't pan out with the BJ's but I have a feeling this trade will Spark the Anson of old.

Last edited by UBCsalmonslayer: 02-24-2007 at 01:41 PM. Reason: typo
UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Gorgeous George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
Anson Carter = Jeff O'Neill, which is fine as long as he's not pissing all over the streets of Raleigh (something O'Neill loved to do).
I am interested for your to expand your statement concerning Jeff O'Neill.

Were there any documented reports of O'Neill and an alcohol problem while he was playing with the 'Canes?

Gorgeous George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:21 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
I am interested for your to expand your statement concerning Jeff O'Neill.

Were there any documented reports of O'Neill and an alcohol problem while he was playing with the 'Canes?
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/...dui050312.html

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Gorgeous George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
Thanks for the link. I remembered that Chiasson had died while drinking and driving while playing for the Canes, but I must have missed the story on O'Neill.

I had heard rumours that he had a serious drinking problem, and I suspected that it was the reason behind his poor play in Toronto last season and his falling out with Paul Maurice while in the Hurricane's organization.

I am sure that the tragic death of his brother last year has only served to further propagate this issue.

Regardless, I wish O'Neill the best and hope that he can recover and find his way.

Gorgeous George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:10 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Can you imagine our lineup once everyone is healthy?

Andrew Ladd
Cory Stillman
Eric Staal
Erik Cole
Justin Williams
Ray Whitney
Rod Brind'Amour
Scott Walker

We'll have to somehow squeeze all of that talent into three lines, we'll have a #3 line that could match up with just about any #1 line in the NHL.

Anson Carter is listed as a center on our website, I wouldn't be surprised if we tried out Carter as our third-line center.
Exactly. Something like:

Ladd/Staal/Williams
Whitney/Brind'Amour/Walker
Stillman/????/Cole
Adams/Vasicek/LaRose

Anson Carter doesn't really fit on that 3rd line and I wouldn't break up the other 3, at this point at least. Kind of curious why they didn't land a center. Wouldn't be surprised to see Carter a healthy scratch later on in the season when everyone gets healthy if they do end up getting a 3rd line center.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 05:56 PM
CIG*

how is he doing??

CIG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIG View Post
how is he doing??
Scratched last game. The organization isn't very happy with the effort and at this point, unless one of our Top 9 forwards are felled, he's out of the plans.

Old
03-10-2007, 06:00 PM
WoodGundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Wouldn't be surprised to see Carter a healthy scratch later on in the season when everyone gets healthy...
Good call.

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 06:33 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Hah, yeah. I don't think anyone is shocked though. He's basically useless to this team when they're healthy.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 08:58 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Scratched last game. The organization isn't very happy with the effort and at this point, unless one of our Top 9 forwards are felled, he's out of the plans.
So basically what every Canuck and BJ fan said in the trades & rumours thread. I heard rebuttals about how Brind and Whitney would spark him as well as the Sedins

At least it was just a 5th and not a 2nd like some Canucks fans were willing to deal.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:00 PM
DeputyDan

Carter was an insurance policy in case of injury.

He won't be here next year!

DeputyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeksa View Post
So basically what every Canuck and BJ fan said in the trades & rumours thread. I heard rebuttals about how Brind and Whitney would spark him as well as the Sedins

At least it was just a 5th and not a 2nd like some Canucks fans were willing to deal.
On paper it made sense at the time, but you can't count anything as bank towards Anson Carter. I think Brind'Amour and Whitney are superior players than the Sedins, but Anson didn't bring his game at all for this team.