HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Nolan Down and Out?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2003, 11:22 AM
  #1
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,133
vCash: 500
Nolan Down and Out?

http://www.mapleleafs.com/story.ml?t...9&e=AdminGroup

I don't know if this has been reported yet but Owen Nolan is listed as doubtful for thursday's game against the Minnesota Wild with a hip injury. Nolan has been one of Toronto's top three players in the past while, and if he's out for any prolonged period of time, the leafs could be in big trouble.

On the bright side of things if he's listed as doubtful the injury is probably not that bad and it is Minnesota they're playing (10-13-5-0), so he could come back against a better opponent. Also Nik Antropov will probably be in the line-up. When he was injured he was leading the Leafs in goals (3) though that was during thair slow start and he had no assists at all in the 9 games he's played thus far.

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 11:27 AM
  #2
Cyclops II*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
http://www.mapleleafs.com/story.ml?t...9&e=AdminGroup

I don't know if this has been reported yet but Owen Nolan is listed as doubtful for thursday's game against the Minnesota Wild with a hip injury. Nolan has been one of Toronto's top three players in the past while, and if he's out for any prolonged period of time, the leafs could be in big trouble.

On the bright side of things if he's listed as doubtful the injury is probably not that bad and it is Minnesota they're playing (10-13-5-0), so he could come back against a better opponent. Also Nik Antropov will probably be in the line-up. When he was injured he was leading the Leafs in goals (3) though that was during thair slow start and he had no assists at all in the 9 games he's played thus far.

This is the Leafs. if they say he is doubtful for the next game assume he is gone for the year. If they say he is out for the year don't be surprised to see him in the next game.

Cyclops II* is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 12:32 PM
  #3
Dar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
They should rest him more than's needed this time. If the Doc says two weeks, keep him out three. We need him for the stretch.

Dar is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 01:19 PM
  #4
Pinto
Burn Them All
 
Pinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hagersville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,304
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
They should rest him more than's needed this time. If the Doc says two weeks, keep him out three. We need him for the stretch.
I agree, Nolan is gonna be iching to get back sooner, and he'll play like ***** because of it, keep him out a lil' longer

Pinto is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 01:25 PM
  #5
sluggo*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
I think its more serious then the Leafs are letting on. Nolan didn't play in the 3rd period when the Leafs were 1 goal behind the Blues with their winning streak on the line, only a major injury/discomfort would keep him out of that game.

sluggo* is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 01:41 PM
  #6
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,886
vCash: 500
its a lot like the injury roberts has

give it a week or two to feel better
then try it again

we have depth, no need to rush him back

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 02:13 PM
  #7
DocHolliday
Registered User
 
DocHolliday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
I think its more serious then the Leafs are letting on. Nolan didn't play in the 3rd period when the Leafs were 1 goal behind the Blues with their winning streak on the line, only a major injury/discomfort would keep him out of that game.
I think they were playing it smart with his history of injuries. Don't let him aggrevate it. He'll try to play through it and make it worse, and you don't do that in the first half of your schedule. Personally I don't care about the streak, I'd rather them lose and Nolan miss two games than have them stretch it to 9 in a row and Nolan miss two months

DocHolliday is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 02:22 PM
  #8
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I think they were playing it smart with his history of injuries. Don't let him aggrevate it. He'll try to play through it and make it worse, and you don't do that in the first half of your schedule. Personally I don't care about the streak, I'd rather them lose and Nolan miss two games than have them stretch it to 9 in a row and Nolan miss two months
My sentiments exactly. We'll make the playoffs, and we need him THEN! Not now.

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 02:25 PM
  #9
sluggo*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
I think they were playing it smart with his history of injuries.

Its not the managment, its the player. Nolan is not the type of player to sit out the third period of a close game with a winning streak on the line unless it was serious. He didn't sit out because "it was hurting a little". For him to come out of the game he must have been in some serious pain and unable to continue. The managment and coachs wouldn't know he was hurting unless he told them, he made the decision to sit, and hes not the type to do that unless he had no other choice.

sluggo* is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 03:36 PM
  #10
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
I think they were playing it smart with his history of injuries.

Its not the managment, its the player. Nolan is not the type of player to sit out the third period of a close game with a winning streak on the line unless it was serious. He didn't sit out because "it was hurting a little". For him to come out of the game he must have been in some serious pain and unable to continue. The managment and coachs wouldn't know he was hurting unless he told them, he made the decision to sit, and hes not the type to do that unless he had no other choice.
You kind of contradicted yourself here (or I mis-interpretted) if they were playing it safe, the pain wouldn't have been so bad but they didn't want to take the chance. You go on to say that it must be serious. Please don't kill me if I just "didn't get it."

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 04:06 PM
  #11
sluggo*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
Playing it safe - A team plays it safe when a player is hurting or has a minor injury (ie - can play through it) but they don't play him so the injury and/or pain doesn't get worse.

Taking a player out - Teams do this when a player just can't play because of an injury.

Nolan is not a player who sits out the third period of a game when his team is down by one because hes in a little bit of pain, for him to sit that period he had to be at the point where he couldn't play anymore, thats just the type of the player he is. Now while a team might want to play it safe with someone like that, they can't do that unless he tells them that hes hurting, and he would know that if he told them, they would pull him out of the game. Nolan had to be hurting to the point that he had to tell the coaching/medical staff knowing that they would probably pull him out of an important game, a player like Nolan wouldn't do that, its not the type of player he is. For him to go to coachs, knowing he would probably be pulled, he had to be a lot of pain and unable to continue, this "pre-caution" crap (at least about Nolan) is just the normal Leaf injury ********, the guy is injuried, he wouldn't be sitting if he wasn't.

sluggo* is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 04:28 PM
  #12
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,133
vCash: 500
I figured thats what you ment. I was just confused by your wording and that Quinn said it should be minor in the Press Conference. We'll have ot wait this on out though and see what happens.

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 04:56 PM
  #13
Mike1
Registered User
 
Mike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mississauga,Ontario
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
It doesn't sound like it's a serious injury which is positive news.

Mike1 is offline  
Old
12-11-2003, 06:32 PM
  #14
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,133
vCash: 500
Nolan's supposed to resume skating this weekend. So what are we looking at? Mid next week?

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 05:02 AM
  #15
Dar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
Nolan's supposed to resume skating this weekend. So what are we looking at? Mid next week?
No matter how minor. Still too soon IMO. Rest him for a while.

Dar is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 07:56 AM
  #16
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,886
vCash: 500
nice to see ponikarovsky getting more playing time
i like his 2-way game

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 08:14 AM
  #17
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
According to the Fan 590, Nolan participated in practise today and looked good.

He'll practise tomorrow and play vs. New York.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 10:10 AM
  #18
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
nice to see ponikarovsky getting more playing time
i like his 2-way game

Yah, you know he was not bad. No scoring punch though - kind of like a baby Renberg.

wasting time is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 10:12 AM
  #19
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
According to the Fan 590, Nolan participated in practise today and looked good.

He'll practise tomorrow and play vs. New York.
awesome

wasting time is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 10:26 AM
  #20
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
According to the Fan 590, Nolan participated in practise today and looked good.

He'll practise tomorrow and play vs. New York.

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.