HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it Time to Call up Montoya?

View Poll Results: Should we bring Montoya up for a start or two
Bring Montoya up and see what he has 18 19.15%
Wait till less then 10 games are left and where we are 30 31.91%
not this year at all 32 34.04%
trade him for a 57 year old like Brad Park 14 14.89%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Is it Time to Call up Montoya?

Would you bring big Al up for a start? just to see what he has and hope to catch some lightening in a bottle?

----
Added his stats from the past 2 months (since Dec 22nd):

Record: 12-1-1
Save %: .941
GAA: 1.55

-FLY

Last edited by FLYLine24: 02-24-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I think the only way we see Monty is if Lundqvist goes down for a period of time. Right now we just need a guy to open and shut the door so keeping Montoya where he is now is the best for his long term development.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:56 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Closest to what I think (as I responded in the other thread)

"Wait till less then 10 games are left and where we are"

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I would like to see him as the backup, instead of Valiquette

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

There's no need to rush players up from the minors just because they're playing well. Let them grow.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 12:14 AM
E-Train

He's already 22, let's give him a few games before the end of the season.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 12:22 AM
ThirdEye

No, not right now. If we can't win when Lundqvist has been averaging a GAA of under 2 the past two months then Montoya wouldn't be much help, even if he puts up amazing numbers.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 12:30 AM
DontStaal

i dont start him unless it is certain that we are out of the playoffs

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 12:42 AM
The Thomas J.*

Man if we can get a guy like Bard Park in a trade, or better yet Park out of retirement I say you have to pull a trigger on a trade like that!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:37 AM
free0717

If the Rangers fall out of it, I might bring him up for a start. Right now Lundquist is in the zone. I would trade Montoya in a Heartbeat for Horton, I would have to think long and hard to trade him for Zeredev(is that how it is spelled?). There is no one else on the Market I would trade Montoya for.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:40 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
If the Rangers fall out of it, I might bring him up for a start. Right now Lundquist is in the zone. I would trade Montoya in a Heartbeat for Horton, I would have to think long and hard to trade him for Zeredev(is that how it is spelled?). There is no one else on the Market I would trade Montoya for.
I think Florida is a possible destination for Montoya, but I have a feeling it would be Jokinen coming to NY in return rather than Horton.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:44 AM
dank

no reason.. if anything his recent streak of playing solid is a reason against his being called up..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 04:00 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I think Florida is a possible destination for Montoya, but I have a feeling it would be Jokinen coming to NY in return rather than Horton.
Jokinen is a great player, but we are building for the future and Jokinen is 28 years old. Jokinen can really help this team now but is a 5 million dollar cap hit for the next two or three years. Horton brings alot more youth and that power forward type that we have been salivating for. If we got Jokinen, I would want something else and we would have to send Florida Kaspar.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Choice

I dont wanna flame but I question your intelligence on many posts. Henrik is killing it right now and the Rangers are wasting his contribution. Montoya time did cross my mind when Hank took the shot to the shoulder in the Flyers game, but obviously that wasnt a big deal. I voted not at all this year, but I guess if they are way out of contention with 10 games to go i'd consider giving him a few starts but I think the prudent move is to let him play big games for the Pack and then evaluate in training camp next year.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 07:01 AM
eco's bones

If the Rangers fall out of it I'd like to see a number of players brought up--and Montoya would be one of them. Weekes will not be back and Montoya should be on the team next year anyway--so giving him a few NHL starts might be a good idea. Others I'd strongly consider bringing up at the end of the season--Callahan, Korpikoski--who has been improving as the season has gone on--and Baranka--maybe Dubinsky, Byers or Dawes.

Another question is who do we think won't be back. Weekes for one. Kaspar might be back but maybe not at the NHL level. Ozo is gone. Rachunek is a maybe. Pock is a maybe--though probably not. Krog will be gone. Shanahan is a maybe. Orr might be upgraded by a better player tough guy.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 07:10 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

If Henke continues to play as well as he has been since the new year I would say there is no need to call Montoya up. The only way I see the organization bringing him up this season is if Lundqvist gets hurt(knock on wood he wont) or if there is absolutly no way to get into the PO's and they want to see what he actually has, but as long as there is a glimmer of hope for the Rangers to make it in, I think Henke is their man.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Screaming Banshee

I'm going to ask a really dumb question.

If the Rangers don't make the playoffs, and Hartford is in the hunt for the playoffs -- do we bring up prospects just to get a look at them thus weakening the Hartford team who have a very good playoff shot?

I hope you understand what I'm saying because I can't think of a better way to word this.

Screaming Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 09:45 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
I would bring Montoya up next season as the backup to Lundqvist and find a way to get rid of Weekes.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 09:47 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Banshee View Post
I'm going to ask a really dumb question.

If the Rangers don't make the playoffs, and Hartford is in the hunt for the playoffs -- do we bring up prospects just to get a look at them thus weakening the Hartford team who have a very good playoff shot?

I hope you understand what I'm saying because I can't think of a better way to word this.
Well the Rangers wouldnt be bringing them all up once, Rangers would probably bring up Callahan for a week, send him back down after 2-3 games, bring up another, etc.

Just to give some of the Pack players another, or their first taste of the NHL level.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 09:53 AM
eco's bones

The way Hartford is playing I don't know if I'd worry about them too much as long as they had all their guys back by the postseason. Odds are usually stacked against younger teams in the AHL playoffs anyway. There are several guys you have to figure are not going to be back with the Rangers next year and maybe a few more if we drop out of a playoff spot. Those kind of players I wouldn't worry a lot about anyway. Put them on waivers--send them to the AHL--whatever. If this team comes up short some of them should pay the price.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
I dont wanna flame but I question your intelligence on many posts. Henrik is killing it right now and the Rangers are wasting his contribution. Montoya time did cross my mind when Hank took the shot to the shoulder in the Flyers game, but obviously that wasnt a big deal. I voted not at all this year, but I guess if they are way out of contention with 10 games to go i'd consider giving him a few starts but I think the prudent move is to let him play big games for the Pack and then evaluate in training camp next year.
Flame away cause I can care less The difference between killing it and winning is 2 points and Hank isn't getting them. Marty as much as i hate him gets the 2 points more often then Hank does. We aren't making the playoff period and we have a 22 year old as you put it killing it in the AHL. The NHL has proven you can never have enough goal tending look at Fuhr and Moog or Hasek Osgood and winning teams have great goalie tandems. NJ is the exception to the rule

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:44 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Flame away cause I can care less The difference between killing it and winning is 2 points and Hank isn't getting them. Marty as much as i hate him gets the 2 points more often then Hank does. We aren't making the playoff period and we have a 22 year old as you put it killing it in the AHL. The NHL has proven you can never have enough goal tending look at Fuhr and Moog or Hasek Osgood and winning teams have great goalie tandems. NJ is the exception to the rule
Hank isn't the reason we aren't getting the 2 points more often than not.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:52 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Hank isn't the reason we aren't getting the 2 points more often than not.
If you think Lundqvist is being identified as the sole reason the team isn't winning, I think you've misread what's being written. At the same time Lundqvist showed early last year the ability to simply shut the door and win in spite of the mediocre play in front of him. We've seen little of that Lunqvist this year.

On the thread topic, I see little reason to bring Montoya up now.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I'd still say they are failing to get the 2 points despite Henrik not because of him.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Nich

another year in the nhl..this time shoulder the load like last year. i think they tried to bring him along slowly because of that freak shoulder accident last year, so they want to take it slow to avoid another possible career ending shoulder injury ala blackburn....which i.m.o. is a great idea. split time this year, then a plays 70-80% of games next year....then bring him up. no reason to rush, just follow the Miller plan ;-)

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote