HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

GDT: 2/24/07. Washington Capitals at NJ Devils. Continental Airlines Arena. 1p.m.

Old
02-24-2007, 02:50 PM
DevilsFan38

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Maybe for the offseason. I can't see him being dealt until then.

He's in a contract year so it's imperative he shows he's got what it takes to stick. I liked the second-line combo of Semin - Beech - Flash. Flash & Beech know each other's tendencies from playing together so much last year and it showed.

Defensively, the Caps deserve credit. They filled up the passing lanes pretty nicely, though the Devils had some great chances throughout and couldn't bury them. They need more of a skilled guy than Mike Rupp in front of the net on the PP.
That's normally Gionta's spot (yes, the midget stands in front of the net on the PP), but he's out with a groin injury.

Congrats on the win today, the Capitals came to play and the Devils didn't.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
He won't do it for the Caps, that was always my big thing against Flash. I really don't think he is that talented either, but even if he does become an NHL player it won't be here in Washington.
Unless he can show he can contribute on the RW.

I'm of the opinion that letting him play the next week or two (maybe even till the end of the season) is better than letting him sit in the AHL with no chance to figure it out.

He still is only 22 and relatively cheap. I don't think his chance with the Caps is done, he just has a decent way to go.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Because Clymer provides 0 offense and his defensive play hasn't been great either since his shift back to forward.
0 offense and bad defensive play, so you call up a kid who has done next to nothing up until tonight to create any offense at the NHL level and is even worse in his own zone. Interesting.

And with only 2 games left before the trade deadline.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Unless he can show he can contribute on the RW.

I'm of the opinion that letting him play the next week or two (maybe even till the end of the season) is better than letting him sit in the AHL with no chance to figure it out.

He still is only 22 and relatively cheap. I don't think his chance with the Caps is done, he just has a decent way to go.
They won't keep him up and not let him play in the AHL playoffs. I mean i guess they could, but I can't imagine why they would. And didn't someone say that in order to play in the AHL playoffs you have to be back in the AHL by tuesday?

Old
02-24-2007, 02:53 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
0 offense and bad defensive play, so you call up a kid who has done next to nothing up until tonight to create any offense at the NHL level and is even worse in his own zone. Interesting.

And with only 2 games left before the trade deadline.
Well atleast we know your position on Flash Jasper.

No idea why Clymer and Emmy for that matter have been benched, I'd rather they get rid of Clymer and keep Flash.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:

saying he has done nothing at the NHL level to produce offense is an exaggeration. He has had a few chances in time he has been here (though when you get 5 minutes a game it isn't always so easy to find out).

I just don't get the point of putting Clymer out there, who you know what you're going to get out of... when you have another youngster down in the system who can potentially do more. Clymer is not a top 2 winger. Fleischmann probably is not either, but at this point the jury is still out. He at least has tools that could project him towards being a 20 goal scorer in the league.

Old
02-24-2007, 02:55 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
saying he has done nothing at the NHL level to produce offense is an exaggeration. He has had a few chances in time he has been here (though when you get 5 minutes a game it isn't always so easy to find out).

I just don't get the point of putting Clymer out there, who you know what you're going to get out of... when you have another youngster down in the system who can potentially do more. Clymer is not a top 2 winger. Fleischmann probably is not either, but at this point the jury is still out. He at least has tools that could project him towards being a 20 goal scorer in the league.
Ha! I was just about to add that bit about Clymer being a known quantity.

Good show Chim

Old
02-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
They won't keep him up and not let him play in the AHL playoffs. I mean i guess they could, but I can't imagine why they would. And didn't someone say that in order to play in the AHL playoffs you have to be back in the AHL by tuesday?
I'm not sure the situation on who can play. But I think it has to do with how many games you've played in down there, and then who makes it on the roster by that point.

That's partly the reason they sent Green, because he had to get in a # of games before that certain date.

Either way, I doubt they'll potentially keep Flash to where he can't play in the playoffs (just like I'm certain Fehr will get back down there as well). But if there is a way to get him up here to play some without hurting his ability to play in the playoff run, i'd do it.

Old
02-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Jasper17

Quote:

I didn't say nothing, that would be an exaggeration. I said next to nothing, which is just a mean way of saying exactly what he has done.

I would agree with you, but why now? why not during the season? I mean does anyone really think he is going to play for the Caps the rest of the season? Maybe I am wrong about players having to be back in the AHL by tuesday to play in the playoffs. But if I am right then I don't understand calling a guy up 2 games before he has to go right back down when you don't need to.

Old
02-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateWasGod View Post
Well atleast we know your position on Flash Jasper.

No idea why Clymer and Emmy for that matter have been benched, I'd rather they get rid of Clymer and keep Flash.
This all comes down to if I am right about players having to be back down by tuesday. I swore someone said that on another thread. If I am wrong than this is not a big deal.

however if I am right, although I agree with your thought that we know what Clymer is. What the hell are we really going to find out about Fleischmann during a 2 game trial?

Old
02-24-2007, 03:01 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

2 points

He's waiver exempt

The Org has been saying it wants to see the kids play...so with Fehr and Clark out they give Flash a chance to come up for a few games and get his cup of joe with the big boys.

Old
02-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
2 points

He's waiver exempt

The Org has been saying it wants to see the kids play...so with Fehr and Clark out they give Flash a chance to come up for a few games and get his cup of joe with the big boys.
could be, i am not saying it isn't. But players have been out of the lineup off and on all season with no signs of Flash.

All I am saying that it is interesting that they bring him up now only 2 games before the deadline with a healthy Clymer in the press box.

I mean all those games that Beech was in the lineup, even recently they went back to Beech. Why wouldn't you call Flash up then?

I don't know, maybe i'm wrong I but think they are trying to showcase him personally.

Old
02-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Because Clymer provides 0 offense and his defensive play hasn't been great either since his shift back to forward.
Word. Flash is much more suited for a top 6 role than Clymer. The timing shouldn't be at all strange as the Caps were without their top two RWs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
That's normally Gionta's spot (yes, the midget stands in front of the net on the PP), but he's out with a groin injury.
Thanks, I figured as much but still wondered about the decision to go with Rupp. Gionta's due back in a few days, no?
Quote:
It's called giving the young guy a chance to play. As a team out of playoff contention, it only makes sense to ice a roster with one eye looking towards next year and developing your younger talent.

As for the clear date requirement on the 27th, Flash would have to be on Hershey's roster that day (along with Schultz, Fehr and anyone else the Caps wanted Hershey to have to defend their Calder Cup title). But he can always be sent back up for the following game on Thursday. If he continues to impress, he misses the Tuesday game vs. Florida. No big deal.

I'm pretty skeptical of the whole 'we're sellers but we'll also be buyers' line. Any young player on the move at the deadline is either partially-damaged goods or a prospect that either hasn't gotten their shot at the NHL level or has yet to establish themselves ala Fleischmann.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:16 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Thanks, I figured as much but still wondered about the decision to go with Rupp. Gionta's due back in a few days, no?
Hopefully for the Devils-Penguins game on Tuesday. As much as the Devils need him back, I don't want him to rush back from a groin injury.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
could be, i am not saying it isn't. But players have been out of the lineup off and on all season with no signs of Flash.
Flash has played eight games previously while filling in for other injured forwards (Zednik, for the most part, and once earlier in the year when Semin was out).

At what other point this year have the Caps been without both of their top 6 RWs?

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Rochester22

First time i had a chance to watch Semin, man he is talented no question. Sort of reminds me of Alex Mogilny.

You guys deserved this win, the Devils didn't

Rochester22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:25 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Fleish's little showing may help Zubrus out the door. Or himself. Beech and Gordon both played really well today not just the nice assists. Did we trap a lot today?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Flash has played eight games previously while filling in for other injured forwards (Zednik, for the most part, and once earlier in the year when Semin was out).

At what other point this year have the Caps been without both of their top 6 RWs?
8 games, thats is?

Does anyone really even know who their top 6 RW's are?

They were without Zednik for a long period, as well as without Pettinger for a long period. I don't think those injuries overlaped but those guys were both playing on the RW for large parts of the season (Zednik the entire time). Bradley also missed a good amount of time as well.

Not sure why people are kinda getting upset about the idea he could be getting showcased. But lets not pretend that there were not other times this season that Fleischmann could have been called up and was not. Lets not pretend that there were plenty of times he could have been called up and given a large number of games but was not.

Until now, right before the trade deadline.

Old
02-24-2007, 03:45 PM
CapitalPunishment

I missed the game... how did Ovechkin play guys?

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Ovechkin was active. Not his best game, but he was involved in a few decent rushes. He didn't get as much ice time as I'm probably used to seeing though. That is most likely due to the game being out of hand, and Semin was probably the best player on the ice offensively for a while (when he wasn't taking bad penalties).

Jasper, you and I might disagree about Flash's long range potential (I think he has the talent to be a NHL regular on a top 2 line, or a 3rd if he really puts in defensive work) but I don't really see his call up as out of character. He has gotten a few, but the team has been clear that if he can't win a top 2 line spot, then he won't be here. Riding the pine for the 4th line duty just doesn't cut it, because he is just offense, and nothing else at this point. When you have your top RW (eek, Clark) and your other rookie callup, who got a taste and looked good so far, out of the lineup, it makes sense to give Flash a look.

I honestly would not be surprised if Clymer isn't a consistent scratch until the end of the season, just because the team knows what it has in him, and doesn't know what it has in a few other youngsters. Actually, past the deadline day, I wouldn't be surprised to see a large number of younger players in Hershey to get a call up here or there to take a look. What they are doing is trying to find out who they might want to bring back, and who has improved a lot in Hershey. We know that Fehr is better than he was at training camp, now, what does the team know about Bourque? About Flash? Maybe even Klepis after his time down in Hershey? Plus maybe a few others who they might bring in and give a taste.

Old
02-24-2007, 03:53 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

I don't think anyone is upset...I just doubt the org is going to trade him...what would he garner? Another pick? Why would we bother doing that unless he's part of a package with Zubrus.

Old
02-24-2007, 03:53 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalPunishment View Post
I missed the game... how did Ovechkin play guys?
He sucks and needs to be traded

Old
02-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
I don't think anyone is upset...I just doubt the org is going to trade him...what would he garner? Another pick? Why would we bother doing that unless he's part of a package with Zubrus.
well... I'm not sure they're showcasing him, but I wouldn't be surprised if that plays into it.

If he does well and looks like he can stick in the NHL, his value goes up. But the issue is this, he's nothing more than a throw in to a lot of teams.

Old
02-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
That is exactly what I am thinking.

I don't think the Caps want picks, in fact I am 99% sure they would like to get a young NHL talent in a deal for Zubrus. However that is prob not going to happen unless they include a pick or prospect with Zubrus.

A couple of us have talked about that possibility before, and now all of a sudden with two games to go before the deadline here comes prob the most likely traded prospect in the Caps system up from Hershey.

Could it be the Caps want to see what he can do, sure. But why wait this long? Of all the times they could have brought him up why do it now. A time when he is not really needed (Clymer is healthy and could play), and right before as I understand it he would have to go right back down to be able to play for Hershey in the playoffs.

Old
02-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
That is exactly what I am thinking.

I don't think the Caps want picks, in fact I am 99% sure they would like to get a young NHL talent in a deal for Zubrus. However that is prob not going to happen unless they include a pick or prospect with Zubrus.

A couple of us have talked about that possibility before, and now all of a sudden with two games to go before the deadline here comes prob the most likely traded prospect in the Caps system up from Hershey.

Could it be the Caps want to see what he can do, sure. But why wait this long? Of all the times they could have brought him up why do it now. A time when he is not really needed (Clymer is healthy and could play), and right before as I understand it he would have to go right back down to be able to play for Hershey in the playoffs.
how many times before now could he have been brought up?

Up until the last 2-3 weeks, the teams motto was trying to push for the playoffs. You don't play a guy like Flash a lot if you'd expect to reach the playoffs. Especially not on the 3rd-4th line (where he'd probably of found time).

Fehr took the one obvious call up a week or so ago, and stuck in the role because of his solid play.