HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 2/24/07. Washington Capitals at NJ Devils. Continental Airlines Arena. 1p.m.

Old
02-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Jasper17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
how many times before now could he have been brought up?

Up until the last 2-3 weeks, the teams motto was trying to push for the playoffs. You don't play a guy like Flash a lot if you'd expect to reach the playoffs. Especially not on the 3rd-4th line (where he'd probably of found time).

Fehr took the one obvious call up a week or so ago, and stuck in the role because of his solid play.
OK, then why not call him up 2-3 weeks ago? Why play Klepis on the 4th line all that time and not ever give Flash a chance? That is except for 8 games.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalPunishment View Post
I missed the game... how did Ovechkin play guys?
Who?

Heh.

He was alright, Semin was better. AO had a golden opportunity in the slot on a nifty pass from Zubrus but Brodeur made a great save.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 04:17 PM
CapitalPunishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Who?

Heh.

He was alright, Semin was better. AO had a golden opportunity in the slot on a nifty pass from Zubrus but Brodeur made a great save.
I feel he does that about half a dozen times a game. I hate MB... but wish he was a Cap of course

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 04:19 PM
CapitalPunishment

Reason why I asked about AO is that he got an assist on an even strength goal but was still -1... and NJ only scored 2 goals... so he was on the ice for both, but I'm sure it wasnt his fault either time.

Old
02-24-2007, 04:40 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Who?

Heh.

i missed the game but watched the goals on caps.com. sure looked like maybe ovy tipped home jurcina's goal. what makes it tough with him is that he reacts like that whether it's his goal or a teammates. he sucks.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
i missed the game but watched the goals on caps.com. sure looked like maybe ovy tipped home jurcina's goal. what makes it tough with him is that he reacts like that whether it's his goal or a teammates. he sucks.
Yep, it's only downhill from here...

Joe B. thought (and it looked to me as well) that Beech deflected Jurcina's shot and then it might have bounced off of Ovechkin and in. I couldn't make out the bounce off of Ovechkin, but Joe B. said it might have went off of Ovechkin's right leg.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 04:49 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Actually Joe B was calling it Beech's from the first intermission on.

I think it should read Beech from Jurcina and Semin

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 04:54 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I watched the NJ feed in NYC and thought I'd share a few of Emrick's thoughts.

He called Kolzig a top five goalie in the NHL.

He had nothing but good things to say about Erskine (he had a hell of a game). Mentioned that no one really noticed him in Dallas as he only got about 5 minutes a game and he was used as an enforcer. Props to McPhee for identifying him and props to Hanlon for giving him minutes.

He mistakenly said that Jurcina was acquired for a first...but he still said it was a great deal for the Caps. He said that Jurcina will be a top 4 defenseman in the NHL and that Boston did a poor job developing him.

Called Fehr and Fleischmann out as players who should be producing in the NHL next year.

Hanlon has done as good a job as possible with the talent he's working with.

Not a word on trading Zubrus, which I thought was significant.

Daneyko kept pronouncing Semin's name as semen during the intermission report which I found highly amusing. God bless you Dano.

Now my thoughts. What an amazing game by John Erskine. Wow. I noticed him when he made big hits, but I also noticed that he didn't pursue easy big hits that would have taken him out of position. Impressive.

That's the best I've seen our defensemen play as a unit as well as move the puck. Good stuff. They were clearly overmatched, and looked it at times, but they held their own.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
OK, then why not call him up 2-3 weeks ago? Why play Klepis on the 4th line all that time and not ever give Flash a chance? That is except for 8 games.
you're the one saying he obviously is out of sorts because they didn't call him up.

I already explained why he wasn't called up 2-3 weeks ago. Fehr took his spot. Fehr's been playing about the same, and to be perfectly honest is more in the teams plans. Flash probably doesn't have the same impetuous on his development, and hopes for the future. But the team still probably will want to take a look.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 08:21 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Yep, it's only downhill from here...

Joe B. thought (and it looked to me as well) that Beech deflected Jurcina's shot and then it might have bounced off of Ovechkin and in. I couldn't make out the bounce off of Ovechkin, but Joe B. said it might have went off of Ovechkin's right leg.
from tarik's article:
Jurcina scored the only goal of the first period at 8 minutes 43 seconds, when he fired an ordinary looking wrist shot from the point. The puck, however, took a couple of extraordinary bounces, the first off Devils defenseman Brad Lukowich, who was tied up with Ovechkin, and then off another player's skate before slipping past Brodeur. The goal was originally awarded to Ovechkin, but was eventually given to its rightful owner.

"I told [the referee], 'It's not mine.' I didn't want to take another player's goal," Ovechkin said.

what a terrible team guy...

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 08:23 PM
CapitalPunishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
from tarik's article:
Jurcina scored the only goal of the first period at 8 minutes 43 seconds, when he fired an ordinary looking wrist shot from the point. The puck, however, took a couple of extraordinary bounces, the first off Devils defenseman Brad Lukowich, who was tied up with Ovechkin, and then off another player's skate before slipping past Brodeur. The goal was originally awarded to Ovechkin, but was eventually given to its rightful owner.

"I told [the referee], 'It's not mine.' I didn't want to take another player's goal," Ovechkin said.

what a terrible team guy...
Who said he was a terrible team guy... you guys are getting ridiculous now

Old
02-24-2007, 11:04 PM
trendon

Send a message via AIM to trendon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsFan@Vassar View Post
If you watch a lot of Devils telecasts, you find that Emrick teaches you more about hockey in 3 hours than you could have learned watching every game on Center Ice for a week straight. As a Devils fan, I feel so blessed to have him call our games.

As for Erskine, I would love him if I am a Caps fan. Coming from a Devs fan, he is the perfect tonic for them. Does he ever lose a battle along the boards? Damn is he physical.

trendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendon View Post
If you watch a lot of Devils telecasts, you find that Emrick teaches you more about hockey in 3 hours than you could have learned watching every game on Center Ice for a week straight. As a Devils fan, I feel so blessed to have him call our games.

As for Erskine, I would love him if I am a Caps fan. Coming from a Devs fan, he is the perfect tonic for them. Does he ever lose a battle along the boards? Damn is he physical.
I learn all kinds of things from Emerick too. Like when he said Heward had three goals this week (he has 1), or when he called John Madden "Mark Messier" last week during a game. I've never heard so many errors in a telecast as I do from Doc. Unfortunately, I'm dating a devils fan, so I hear it a TON. I was ecstatic last week when the Pens/Devils game was on TSN.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 02:35 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendon View Post

I agree....I've been listening to Doc since the 80s and I think he's one of the best. I liked him best when teamed with Clement. I guess everyone can makes some mistakes in games. Last game was the first I can remember him having many errors.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:10 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsFan@Vassar View Post

He called Kolzig a top five goalie in the NHL.

He had nothing but good things to say about Erskine (he had a hell of a game). Mentioned that no one really noticed him in Dallas as he only got about 5 minutes a game and he was used as an enforcer. Props to McPhee for identifying him and props to Hanlon for giving him minutes.

He mistakenly said that Jurcina was acquired for a first...but he still said it was a great deal for the Caps. He said that Jurcina will be a top 4 defenseman in the NHL and that Boston did a poor job developing him.

Called Fehr and Fleischmann out as players who should be producing in the NHL next year.

Hanlon has done as good a job as possible with the talent he's working with.

Not a word on trading Zubrus, which I thought was significant.

Daneyko kept pronouncing Semin's name as semen during the intermission report which I found highly amusing. God bless you Dano.

Now my thoughts. What an amazing game by John Erskine. Wow. I noticed him when he made big hits, but I also noticed that he didn't pursue easy big hits that would have taken him out of position. Impressive.

That's the best I've seen our defensemen play as a unit as well as move the puck. Good stuff. They were clearly overmatched, and looked it at times, but they held their own.
I agree, Erskine had his best game as a Cap ....... and so did Gordon, I thought he was the best forward on the ice Saturday.

And that's surprising to hear about the Devils telecast ......... I've been forced to watch/listen to them for many years ..... generally they're pretty clueless (it took the radio guys half the game to realize Clark WASN'T dressed and that Olie was on IR). I know Joe B. and Locker tend to ramble when the games get dull - these guys do it all the time.

Still, nice to hear they were on point and had positive comments about the Caps.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote