HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lecavalier Available???

Old
02-25-2007, 10:21 PM
coolbean04

vCash: 500
Lecavalier Available???

In Sportsline.com rumor page it mentions that the Canadians are interested in acquiring Lecavalier in the offseason.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/NHL_SC-RUMOR

It mentions that they will likely have to include goaltender Price. Shouldn't the Rangers jump all over that by starting a deal with Montoya?

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:25 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I'd be very interested

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:28 PM
DontStaal

that's one deal i would to

the price would be big tho...
whats his contract like anyway???

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:37 PM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
that's one deal i would to

the price would be big tho...
whats his contract like anyway???
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2135802

Aug. 16th 2005, it says he signed a 4 year deal worth 27M. So I'm guessing he has 2 years left at about 7M per year.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:41 PM
John Flyers Fan

Ask yourself the following question:

Why would you trade your 27 year old best player, making a reasonable salary ???

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Every year since 1999 the Habs have been rumored to trade for Lecavalier.

It wont happen.

02-25-2007, 11:02 PM
drcameraman

No thanks, Lecavalier is useless without St. Louis.

drcameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 11:17 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcameraman View Post

?

If Vinny is infact on his way out of Tampa than the answer is a very definite YES

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 11:33 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post

Why would you trade your 27 year old best player, making a reasonable salary ???
is 7 mill per a reasonable salary for someone who is having his first REAL BIG season ... thats like max money

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 11:48 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
is 7 mill per a reasonable salary for someone who is having his first REAL BIG season ... thats like max money
i agree i wouldn't consider his salary reasonable, but you can't overlook the fact he is tearing it up now and is just 27 years old

he's always had the ability, this is not one of those times where you would think its a fluke year, he's fully capable of doing what he has been and has had good seasons in the past

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 11:48 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcameraman View Post
yeah.. you're wrong

btw tampa has to be out of their mind to even remotely consider dealing him

Old
02-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
yeah.. you're wrong

btw tampa has to be out of their mind to even remotely consider dealing him
well, when you consider they are paying Richards, St. Louis and Lecavalier like 21 mil combined, thats ~45% of the cap for 3 players. they have to fill the other 20 players to fill out their active roster with like 25 mil. that leaves very little room to pay an elite goalie, or a #1 or 2 defenseman.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:16 AM
BJo

Montoya isn't half the prospect Price is

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:18 AM
frozenrubber

Lecav

Vincent is going nowhere...this season he's been nothing short of amazing...

Surprising to say (well, not because of the 7.8 pricetag), but if any of the trio will be moved, it would be Richards. Regardless, none of them during this season.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:28 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoelson View Post
Montoya isn't half the prospect Price is

why? Because Price had one great WJC?

So did Montoya.

But since then Montoya has gone on to be an AHL all star, and since december of this year, has been brilliant. When Price equalls what montoya has done as a pro then they'll be comparable, right now Montoya is what Price wants to be.

younger does not equal better, not when the players in question have had pretty similiar resumes at the same age, but one has gone onto to suceed at a higher level and the other one still has sign a pro contract.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:37 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
well, when you consider they are paying Richards, St. Louis and Lecavalier like 21 mil combined, thats ~45% of the cap for 3 players. they have to fill the other 20 players to fill out their active roster with like 25 mil. that leaves very little room to pay an elite goalie, or a #1 or 2 defenseman.
you don't trade the best one of three

Old
02-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Cyrrus147

No offense to Montoya but Carey Price is by far the best young goaltender I ever saw, and I am not only saying that because the Habs draft him.

This guy is 6' 4'' 216 lbs, he is extremely quick and agile, always in the right position and he is performing extremely well under pressure. In his last 2 training camp, he outplayed our two goaltenders in Montreal, Huet and Aebischer. The Habs refuse to make him play with the big club because they wanted him to play his full junior.

I watch every Canada WCJ game this year and he was simply outstanding (he won the best player award for the WCJ tournement). Everyone in Montreal is very excited by this prospect and I don't think the Habs will trade him.

No doubt that Montoya is a great young promising goaltender too, but I don't think that you can compare him to Price. But saying that Montoya is not the half of Price is unfair for Montoya.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post

Because the Lightning owner has put a specific budget in place and the Lightning may well have to trade one of their big names in order to meet it.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:52 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post

This guy is 6' 4'' 216 lbs, he is extremely quick and agile, always in the right position and he is performing extremely well under pressure. In his last 2 training camp, he outplayed our two goaltenders in Montreal, Huet and Aebischer. The Habs refuse to make him play with the big club because they wanted him to play his full junior.
From watching Price play, he is very sizeable. However, in the draft guides, he was listed at 6'2 and 175. Did he really grow 2 inches and gain 41lbs in a year and a half?

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
From watching Price play, he is very sizeable. However, in the draft guides, he was listed at 6'2 and 175. Did he really grow 2 inches and gain 41lbs in a year and a half?
He was biggest player in the last WJC for the Canada, I think it was 6'4'' 216 lbs. TSN is saying 6'3'' 210 lbs. I will try to find the exact document on the WJC.

edit: Great I ve found 3 documents, all of them with differents numbers lol. I guess the 6'3'' is the safer bet. Only the 217 lbs is the same.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 01:04 AM
gobolt7

To answer the thread starters question, no he is not availible.

gobolt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 01:10 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
No offense to Montoya but Carey Price is by far the best young goaltender I ever saw, and I am not only saying that because the Habs draft him.

I watch every Canada WCJ game this year and he was simply outstanding (he won the best player award for the WCJ tournement). Everyone in Montreal is very excited by this prospect and I don't think the Habs will trade him.

No doubt that Montoya is a great young promising goaltender too, but I don't think that you can compare him to Price. But saying that Montoya is not the half of Price is unfair for Montoya.
and when he was 18 years old Al Montoya carried the US to a WJC championship, so I still don't see how price's play in this year's WJC is somthing that montoya hasn't done.

Right now Al has taken the next step and Price hasn't (not his own fault, he hasn't been given the chance yet.) When Price does what Montoya does at the AHL level then I'll consider them comparable, but right now we don't know with price and we do with montoya, and it's not as if there's much in there junior records that differentiates them.

Old
02-26-2007, 01:12 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltaford View Post
To answer the thread starters question, no he is not availible.
not suprising. it seems that everyone in the world except for tampa fans and vinny himself want him to play for the habs, soit's not suprising that a writer would pen yet another story from that angle. I wouldn't be suprised if the bolts have to move one of they're big forwards eventually, but why would they pick vinny out of the three?

Old
02-26-2007, 01:22 AM
The Thomas J.*

Ever since Lecavalier has entered the Leauge he has had tremendous pressure on him to be a star, One of the biggest mistakes the Lighting ever made with him was making him Capatin of the team in his rookie season, somthing he was not ready for and was evantually stripped of, & never regained it even after Anderchuk retired.

He has always had issues with Torterella and has been rumored to be on the trading block before. It may be time for him to move on. It was probally time for him to move on 2 years ago, what does Lecavalier have left to prove in Tampa bay anyway?

If hes Available, & he wants to be a NYR you have to go get him, No one is untouchable, Even the King Is tradeable,Hopefully it would not come to dealing Hank, I'm just making a point.(Stahl is not a trading option BTW) this is a guy thats 27 years old who is in his prime and will be for years to come.

I Really think Lecavalier would benifit from a change of scenary & would flourish in NY.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 01:26 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Lecavalier won a Cup with Tortorella and appears to be on his way to a career year. Doesn't sound like a change is really needed for him. I'd love to see this guy on the Rangers, but I don't think it's happening considering the season he's having.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote