HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Elias penalty shot in OT

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2003, 04:54 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Elias penalty shot in OT

should have been a penalty but, no penalty shot IMO.

Old
12-10-2003, 04:55 PM
John Flyers Fan

Snow !!!!

Old
12-10-2003, 04:57 PM
John Flyers Fan

Elias scores the OT game winner 2 minutes later.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:00 PM
#2FAN

vCash:
lol that's funny

Old
12-10-2003, 05:00 PM
devildan

Brodeur with SO #6

Old
12-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
should have been a penalty but, no penalty shot IMO.

I was at the game, but only got to see it once. (replays at that arena suck)

Looked to me like a good call, I think Elias could've had a clean break.

Elias made a decent move, but I don't think he should've went for the backhand deke short side like that, would have preferred to see him bring it across the crease. Have to give credit to Snow, he played it perfectly.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:58 PM
Upon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack

Forgive me if I am wrong but isn't a penalty shot only awarded if the player would've had a clean break. Doesn't it have to be fairly obvious that he was away to the races?

Old
12-10-2003, 07:03 PM
meehan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upon1
Forgive me if I am wrong but isn't a penalty shot only awarded if the player would've had a clean break. Doesn't it have to be fairly obvious that he was away to the races?
Well, people want to see more exciting games; they want to see penalty shots in OT, thus the refs gave the people what they want to see.

I've actually seen a few iffy penalty shots awarded in regular season OT games. I guess the refs feel more comfortable calling them in OT as both teams already got a point.

Old
12-10-2003, 07:04 PM
st_roland

Quote:

Elias made a decent move, but I don't think he should've went for the backhand deke short side like that, would have preferred to see him bring it across the crease. Have to give credit to Snow, he played it perfectly.

Ya, he could have chosen a more effective move on the penalty shot, but the move itself was jaw-dropping. I swear, if that guy was playing in a more wide-open system he'd be a 90 point man.

Old
12-10-2003, 07:09 PM
meehan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
Ya, he could have chosen a more effective move on the penalty shot, but the move itself was jaw-dropping. I swear, if that guy was playing in a more wide-open system he'd be a 90 point man.
Sorta like how he put up 96 points in New Jersey's system back in 2001(which was not wide open by the way).

Old
12-10-2003, 07:35 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upon1
I'll put it this way, it looked like he would've been in all alone if he didn't get pulled down. I don't think he would've been 2-3 strides ahead of the defense, but I don't think they would've been close enough to lift his stick. They pulled him down for a reason.

Old
12-10-2003, 07:37 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Now that I saw the replay on tv, it did look pretty good. It didn't really look as impressive live for some reason. Maybe because he didn't score

Old
12-10-2003, 07:59 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
Sorta like how he put up 96 points in New Jersey's system back in 2001(which was not wide open by the way).

Egg-zackly :p

Old
12-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
...And he's have his name on the Stanley Cup two less times. I'm sure he wouldn't make that trade-off.

One of the most exciting games of the young season tonight.

Old
12-11-2003, 01:41 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
Well, people want to see more exciting games; they want to see penalty shots in OT, thus the refs gave the people what they want to see.

I've actually seen a few iffy penalty shots awarded in regular season OT games. I guess the refs feel more comfortable calling them in OT as both teams already got a point.
My bigger problem than the questionable call (either player could have just as easily locked up Elias' stick instead, so there was no way he had a clear breakaway), is the sad ref theatrics. I hate that crap in baseball where the ref feels they must insert themselves into the game via their dramatic strike and out calls. Now tonight, that ref acted like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever, pointing to the sky for a penalty, pausing for a few seconds for effect and then thrusting his hand to center ice hard.

If you wanted to be seen, you should have pulled a jersey on, not stripes.

Old
12-11-2003, 01:49 AM
devildan

Quote:

Actually Snow played it horribly, his stick was on the other side of the net for crying out loud. All elis needed to do was put it 5-hole or drag it a little bit further.

Old
12-11-2003, 02:25 AM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
As an Isles fan I did not mind the call at all. Hamrlik did get his stick around the waist of Elias who look as though he may have helped the call a little.

Patrick would have had a clear break in on net otherwise. The ref saw him with a step in front and awarded the shot. Good call IMO.

Good move by Elias on the PS, If he had been able to life that back hand at all the game is over right there. Credit Snow for not giving up and staying roght with him when I though he was done.

Last edited by Tiki: 12-11-2003 at 02:30 AM.
Old
12-11-2003, 02:43 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

So is David Legwand still the only player to score on a penalty shot in overtime?

Old
12-11-2003, 02:47 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki
Patrick would have had a clear break in on net otherwise. The ref saw him with a step in front and awarded the shot. Good call IMO.
From the rulebook:
When a player, in control of the puck on the opponent's side of the center red line and having no other opponent to pass than the goalkeeper, is tripped or otherwise fouled from behind, thus preventing a reasonable scoring opportunity, a penalty shot shall be awarded to the non-offending side.

Looked to me like they fouled him from in front, as he skated towards them and his progression resulted in the takedown.

Old
12-11-2003, 04:34 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
So is David Legwand still the only player to score on a penalty shot in overtime?

No, Legwand & Handzus, both against the Rangers.

Old
12-11-2003, 04:37 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:

It was definitely a penalty, but at the time Hamrlik put the hook on Elias, he was right next to him. Elias had not yet broken ahead of the defenseman.

Old
12-11-2003, 04:59 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
It was definitely a penalty, but at the time Hamrlik put the hook on Elias, he was right next to him. Elias had not yet broken ahead of the defenseman.
I don't think Elias even had 'clear control of the puck'. He tipped the pass way ahead of himself and then tried to skate through the hook into the puck... but I've seen clearer and better-controlled breaks ruled non-penalty-shots due to the 'puck control' clause.

Old
12-11-2003, 05:45 AM
Egil

I would rather have the opposition have a Penalty Shot than a 2 minute 4 on 3 PP. With a normal penalty, you are wasting 40% of the OT period, and, since it is 4 on 3, have a REALLY hard time killing it off. Penalty Shots are only succesful about 1/4 of the time, whereas a 2 minute 4 on 3 is probably succesful 30% of the time, and it kills 2 minutes of a 5 minute period....

Old
12-11-2003, 11:06 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
I don't think Elias even had 'clear control of the puck'. He tipped the pass way ahead of himself and then tried to skate through the hook into the puck... but I've seen clearer and better-controlled breaks ruled non-penalty-shots due to the 'puck control' clause.
You know I was thinking that myself because it definately was an iffy call. Madden has been pulled down on way better chances than that and not had a penalty shot called. As for the move Elias pulled, he uses it EVERY TIME he is alone on breakaway. So far I haven't seen him put it in once. All he had to do was lift the puck and he would have made Snow look bad.

Old
12-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildan
Actually Snow played it horribly, his stick was on the other side of the net for crying out loud. All elis needed to do was put it 5-hole or drag it a little bit further.
I think Snow extended his stick to the other side is to get more extension on his stretch with his legs. I think if he had his stick on the side Elias shot he wouldn't have gotten the extension enough to get his toe on it. That's just my opinion though...

Closed Thread