HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Who do you think took the biggest step back this season?

View Poll Results: Who do you think took the biggest step back this season?
Henrik Lundqvist 6 5.31%
Petr Prucha 29 25.66%
Jaromir Jagr 53 46.90%
Marek Malik 25 22.12%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-23-2007, 05:02 PM
g52*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
Who do you think took the biggest step back this season?

Im only picking the 4 options as players who played on this team last season.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Gotta say Jagr. I don't know if it's from injury, too much pressure, or what.

He doesn't look half as good as he did last year.

The thing that makes that worse than any other player you mentioned taking a step back is the simple fact that he's our ELITE STAR PLAYER. The other guys have all taken steps back (Prucha and Lundqvist smaller than Malik, however, and both have been great since Christmas), but their steps haven't hindered the team nearly as much as Jagr's.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 05:43 PM
shoothepuck

Jagr. Last season he would get on the ice and dominate the game. This season he rarely makes a difference in the outcome of some games.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 07:04 PM
DutchShamrock

Malik, and not because of the whipping boy status. I'll go over why I didn't vote on the others first

Not Prucha because he isn't far off from his even strength goal pace from last season, the only that has changed is his pp time. He has regressed but not as much as others.

Not Lundqvist. Maybe before December that wouldn't be true but he has been back to his former level, if not better. He's the main reason why this team has a heartbeat right now and the fact that he went through the adversity to get back is very encouraging for his future.

Not Jagr because I do believe his shoulder injury is hampering his game. Not saying he's still hurt but he has no strength in the arm because he couldn't work it out all summer. If we are just judging everybody on the literal inturpretation of "step back" and are ignoring reasons why, then maybe Jagr gets the vote.

I say Malik because he was so steady last season; confident, safe and smart. That has pretty much gone away this season with only a few sparks like last night.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Choice

Not to be a dick but can one of the mods change the title of this thread?

Voted Prucha, he just isnt burying the chances he did last year. Almost went Malik because he was really good last year.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 07:14 PM
26KOCUR26*

Tom Renney needs to be on that list - the man has proven himself to be a terrible close game coach - not once has he made a move in a tight match to pull a win off or break a game open. Renney also allowed the team to be beat down match after match for 50 games - and he did nothing but turn the other chee.
Tom Renney is our biggest problem.

26KOCUR26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 07:16 PM
JRGNYR

Taked?

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 07:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGNYR View Post
Taked?
Taked, indeed.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 07:17 PM
DontStaal

i think Prucha's getting back to where he was last year, getting in front of the net. All the guy needs is chances, playing on the 4th line with Hollweg and Betts won't do you any good. I think the injury he received played a major role in his drop, but i hope he remains on the team.

i voted Jagr though mainly because he's been disappointing as Captain thus far. I dont think he's handled himself in a proper manner and its obvious his shoulder is still affecting him (i mean when is the last time we've seen him wind up for a slapshot on the PP).

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 09:26 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Jags is not where he was, but in terms of overall dropoff, it's gotta be Prucha. Opposing teams still target Jaromir first, second and third in terms of their game plans.

I haven't given up on Prucha - and I think he's been moving up recently - but he's definitely slipped this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a burst out of him, but as of now he isn't the same player we saw before his injury last year.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 09:34 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Taked, indeed.
I cant edit the title but it shouldnt make a difference, you guys get the drift.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:21 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Jagr is getting old and you can expect 50 goals from him anymore. Lundqvist is unfairly criticized for bad play and Malik just sucks. I say Prucha has been biggest disappointment out of those four

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:50 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I haven't given up on Prucha - and I think he's been moving up recently - but he's definitely slipped this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a burst out of him, but as of now he isn't the same player we saw before his injury last year.
Has he really slipped that much? Last year he scored 14 ES goals. This year, he has 10 with another 20 or so games to go. His PP time has been greatly reduced and he is playing nearly a minute less than last year. He has spent a good deal of time this year on the bottom 2 lines. Prucha really does not seem that different. Give him another minute or so per game on the PP, play him on the 2nd line and he may not have been all that much different than last year. Not playing on the PP has hurt him in other ways besides the scoresheet.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
If Lundqvist didn't turn it around since the break he would have been my choice. Having said that I just expected more from JJ than what he has given. Maybe that C is too much of a weight on his chest? He did turn it down the first time it was offered to him, why not let Shanny take it?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 02:42 AM
dank

i say Jagr.. its not the 'C', its the shoulder situation + the fact that the team itself is not playing "over their heads" like last season.. he is still solid (pts wise) this season, so the step back was from elite to very solid...

we need more from him..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 03:39 AM
Choice

Jagr has gone from arguably best in the league to just way above average. Malik has gone from very good to mediocre. Prucha, hate to say it because im a fan of his andlove his game, has gone from very good to arguably non factor.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 06:27 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I would say Jagr out of those, but you cant expect the guy to be fighting for the scoring race every year scoring 54 goals and getting god knows how many assists, especially when he isnt getting any younger. If I rember correctly he is on pace for something like a 98 point season, that is far from a bad season. Personally I think Prucha's numbers are more a product of his placement in the line up. Had he been on the PP unit all year long and had he seen more ice time with the top 2 lines, I think his numbers would have been slightly less, but closer to what they were last season. Maybe around 22-25 goals, which isnt bad IMO.So I dont believe his play has taken a step back, just his opportunities. As for Lundqvist, early on in the season he had me questioning him a little bit, but he still was showing flashes of the old Lundqvist, the Dallas game when he stopped something like 52 out of 54 shots, is when I knew it was just a matter of time untill he came back to form. And he has yet to disapoint me with his play since the new year. Malik is an intresting one, it almost seems like the loss of Poti made Malik look worse this year,when in reality I feel he is still playing the same way he did last season. Once out favorite whipping boy left, we need someone else to point the finger to and I think he was it. Not saying he doenst make poor decisions with and without the puck, but I just feel as though he did the same last year but the team as a whole was more committed to team D, thus not making it as big of a deal when he screwed up. So to sum it up ladies and gentlemen lol, I feel as though out of the 4 players Jagr has taken a step back to a more human player.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 07:07 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Kasparaitis

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 07:22 AM
Fletch

Kocur..

Renney isn't doing anything different than last season. The real difference is Jagr had about twice as many goals last season at this point and Lundqvist had several better games.

As for the poll, I'd go with Jagr.

Some may be inclined to go with Prucha because he's not building off a 30 goal 68 game season, but his role changed, in particular his PP time which affects his scoring at ES. I personally expected 20-25 goals in a full season from him this year, so he's basically hitting my expectations.

The others...Malik isn't that much different than last season, except when Jagr's not dominating, it's more noticeable because he's asked to do a bit more in his own end.

Lundqvist - he definitely was off the first 1/4-1/3 of the season, but has been strong down the stretch.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 10:58 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Kasparaitis
Yikes - good point.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:36 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Has he really slipped that much? Last year he scored 14 ES goals. This year, he has 10 with another 20 or so games to go. His PP time has been greatly reduced and he is playing nearly a minute less than last year. He has spent a good deal of time this year on the bottom 2 lines. Prucha really does not seem that different. Give him another minute or so per game on the PP, play him on the 2nd line and he may not have been all that much different than last year. Not playing on the PP has hurt him in other ways besides the scoresheet.
Thank you, someone gets it. Take away half his opportunities and he will give you half of the output.

Last season: 68 gms. 3:49 of PP time per game. 9:49 ES time per game

This season: 59 gms. 2:33 pp/gm. 10:19 ES/per gm.

Last year he got over 1:20 more pp time game and tons of it with Jagr.

I figure he would have at least another 5 powerplay goals if he was with the #1 unit the whole season... Shanny has 10 more than Prucha right now so that's probably about right if not a little conservative. That would bring him up to 20 goals through 10 fewer games. Plus the entire team struggled this season, everyone dropped off except for Straka. If everything was hunkydoory this season maybe he has a few more and we aren't talking about him to begin with.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 11:46 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I have a difficult time saying anything negative about Jagr.

At 4 million plus, he's still a bargain in my opinion.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Malik, he went from being our best defenseman (positioning of this guy last year was absolutely flawless) to our worst. none of the other players have had that kind of a flip flop in 1 year.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 12:25 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Malik, he went from being our best defenseman (positioning of this guy last year was absolutely flawless) to our worst. none of the other players have had that kind of a flip flop in 1 year.

also voted malik, its not like i expected much out of him but at least last year he was reliable.. he did his job and he did it good at times. this year, whenever he steps on the eyes im asking myself what his next brainfart will be.
Prucha is still misused, Lundqvist had a rough start but found his former self and Jagr is not as bad as some make him out to be. sure we know he is able to be a much more dominant player, but he is still our best player.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
good options

Jagr, followed by Malik, Prucha and Lundqvist in order

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote