HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney wants to add,not subtract

Old
02-25-2007, 06:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Renney wants to add,not subtract

Quote:
With the trade deadline approaching on Tuesday, with Brendan Shanahan sidelined indefinitely and with doubt concerning the immediate availability of Martin Straka, who missed last night's third period with an upper body injury, even Tom Renney allowed that this team might not be good enough to stand pat and qualify for the postseason.

"I think you have to look at that," the head coach said. "I think we'll look at what we might need to do to move forward to get a playoff spot.

"With Brendan out, we no longer have two power-play units. We'll look hard at what we have to do to give our power play a kick
."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02252007...rry_brooks.htm

Quote:
With the trade deadline looming on Tuesday and Brendan Shanahan out indefinitely -- the only cheers over the final 40 minutes last night came when Shanahan, in street clothes at the game, was shown on the scoreboard -- Renney said the team might need to add another scorer, especially for the power play. Straka's availability may determine that as well
http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spr...orts-headlines

I don't know whether to laugh or cry

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:11 AM
LeftCoastRangersFan

I'd say cry considering Renney thinks we're in some sort of playoff hunt....

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:33 AM
eco's bones

I think we're at the point where Tom and Glen have to take a step back and for the good of the organization deal with the fact that the team has regressed from last year. It's been a disappointing year at least for the big club but good progress has been made throughout the organization. The comments about bringing in another scorer seem to me to point to a state of denial on his own part. I sincerely doubt we are going to leapfrog 6-7 points on 4-5 other teams in the time remaining but if we were to do that I would try it with what we have and not add other pieces and gamble with our future by selling off our young players. Again it's a disappointing year and there's no way to get around that but this is not like those 7 years in a row when we had very few real prospects. The situation in Hartford is very encouraging. Likewise the junior prospects such as Pyatt, Staal, Dupont, Sanguinetti etc. are a reason for hope. We need to protect all of that.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:52 AM
Stoney La Rock

I'm going to cry. Today is the first day I feel pretty strongly that Renney's days are numbered and there's going to be a new coach in place very shortly. And the sad part about that is that I don't think there's a coach out there who is going to get this team moving anytime soon. Different guy behind the bench -- same lost, fumbling Ranger team.

Oh, wait. I guess they could hire Mess. His stare alone would probably make the team win out of sheer fear.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 08:44 AM
NYR469

hopefully this is just renney being politically correct and knowing that he can't go to the media and say "we suck. we have no chance to make the playoffs and i hope glen gets rid of a bunch of them before tuesday" and then walk back into the lockerroom and face the guys. even if he believes they should dump everyone he can't public say it.

but if he thinks buying is the answer...especially if shanny is gonna be gone 2+ weeks and now straka is hurt he is even more clueless than his biggest bashers could have imagined.

standing pat instead of selling would be a bad decision but could be somewhat justified, being buyers would just be moronic

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 08:51 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
hopefully this is just renney being politically correct and knowing that he can't go to the media and say "we suck. we have no chance to make the playoffs and i hope glen gets rid of a bunch of them before tuesday" and then walk back into the lockerroom and face the guys. even if he believes they should dump everyone he can't public say it.

but if he thinks buying is the answer...especially if shanny is gonna be gone 2+ weeks and now straka is hurt he is even more clueless than his biggest bashers could have imagined.

standing pat instead of selling would be a bad decision but could be somewhat justified, being buyers would just be moronic
What worries me is that, if Straka's hurt, they might be hesitant to move Nylander. After seeing what Atlanta gave up for Zhitnik, is there any doubt they'd fork over AT LEAST a #1 for Nylander right now?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
What worries me is that, if Straka's hurt, they might be hesitant to move Nylander. After seeing what Atlanta gave up for Zhitnik, is there any doubt they'd fork over AT LEAST a #1 for Nylander right now?
According to Darren Dreger of TSN,Atlanta is sending their #1 to the Blues for Fatchuk

He waived the NTC-off to Atlanta

Last edited by RangerBoy: 02-25-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old
02-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Ree-Dick-Cu-LOus

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post

Glen is going to be too busy attending the various Mark Messier retirement ceremony festivities planned for Monday and Tuesday to actually try and fix the Rangers

Old
02-25-2007, 09:37 AM
pld459666

these commenst do not make me comfortable at all.

my day has just been ruined.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:39 AM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I think we're at the point where Tom and Glen have to take a step back and for the good of the organization deal with the fact that the team has regressed from last year. .
Well we were supposed to regress because of our YOUTH MOVEMENT. But at least, dawes, prucha and immonem devolped

natureboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Lets see if Sather is a man of his word...fat chance

Feb 7

Quote:
And while reiterating his belief in his team, the GM did not rule out moving veterans in exchange for kids should the bottom fall out in the next three weeks.

"I believe in this team, I believe we're better than we've been and better than we are, but if worst comes to worst, you might see us with six kids up from Hartford after the deadline so they can get the experience and the maturity that will help us next year," he said
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02072007...rry_brooks.htm

Would you classify going 1-3-1 in the last five games before the trading deadline as the bottom falling out?Home losses to the Flyers and Columbus as the bottom falling out or is it a blip on the screen?6-6-2 since the all star break.The Rangers are going to be 7 points out of 8th by Monday night after the TO-Montreal game

Old
02-25-2007, 09:50 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

In a perfect world when Renney says he wants to add another scorer to the line up, that scorer he is referring to would be Callahan or Dawes.

We all that's not the case. Please don't trade the farm or any picks Glen.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

i was listening to the FAN radio statio last night, and every caller was asking for renney's head, the GM's head and jagr to be traded because he didn't score 120pts while hurt this year.

i have always disliked jagr, but come on, he is actually going out there hurt and fans want to jump all over him because he doesn't get a hat trick every night? bah!

getting back to renney, of course he is going to say he wants to add. management wants fans to keep coming to the games. plus, i am sure renney DOES want to add. if he makes the playoffs he might keep his job. if they miss the playoffs peeps will want heads to roll. just my opinion.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:00 AM
bathgate

Please see the article written by Sherry Ross in today's News. Sorry I'm rushing out to a wedding. However, good reading. Sather and Maloney should be canned if one youngster is traded. We need to sell!sAME OLD SONG LAMENTED ALL YEAR. hOWEVER, i AM REGRETTABLY CORRECT. sEE YA TONIGHT OR TOMORROW

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Fletch

No scoring forwards?

Nylander, Prucha, Hossa (for now), Jagr, and two 30 goal scorera in HFD, plus Avery (There's seven for you - add in Dupuis if you like)....at the point...Rachunek, Rozsival, Cullen and Tyutin...Straka was a PP point guy, and very replaceable at that position. Renney needs to actually start thinking, even though the answers are in front of him, and quite easy to find. The resources are there...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:10 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

This team has guys who can finish.....they need to

1. Get the F motivated

2. Pay Voodoo Mary to get some mojo back

02-25-2007, 10:14 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
i was listening to the FAN radio statio last night, and every caller was asking for renney's head, the GM's head and jagr to be traded because he didn't score 120pts while hurt this year.

i have always disliked jagr, but come on, he is actually going out there hurt and fans want to jump all over him because he doesn't get a hat trick every night? bah!

getting back to renney, of course he is going to say he wants to add. management wants fans to keep coming to the games. plus, i am sure renney DOES want to add. if he makes the playoffs he might keep his job. if they miss the playoffs peeps will want heads to roll. just my opinion.
jagr is NOT being bashed because of his lack of production (atleast not by the educated fans). he is being bashed because he is supposed to be the guy that carries us but he opts out of important shootouts, he is being bashed because he floats (last i checked a shoulder injury doesn't prevent your feet from moving when backchecking), he is being bashed because he controls everything that goes on with this team and he can change lots of things especially the pp if he wanted...

last year jagr busted his ass on the ice night in and night out. he backchecked like i've never seen him before, he led by example and as a fan he made me PROUD to call him the leader of my team. this year has been the complete opposite. if that same effort was there i wouldn't have a problem with the drop in production, but it isn't

and why is it that jagr's shoulder is fine when the rangers are winning, but the rangers loss and suddenly he's got this terrible injury and its a miracle that he can muster the guts to even play?? seems an awful lot like his days in washington when everytime something went wrong he came down with a groin injury.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:28 AM
allcar67

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post

I agree with you that Jagr should get something of a benefit of the doubt for not having the same offensive year as last year. However, that doesn't explain him taking all his lazy "hooking" penalties. That doesn't explain him showing very little effort (for the most part) when he doesn't have the puck or the Rangers aren't in the offensive zone or in not rushing to get to the bench in shift changes. It doesn't explain him refusing to be part of the shootout. HE IS THE CAPTAIN!!!!!

If he's uncomfortable with the responsibilities he should go into Tom Renney's office and tell Renney to give the "C" to somebody else. That would be showing more leadership than what he is currently showing on the ice.

If another team wanted him, I would trade him. Then again, I would trade almost anybody on this team. Other than Shanahan, Hollweg, and maybe Avery, I don't know if there is another current NHL Ranger that I would say "I'm ticked off because they traded that player!"

Last edited by allcar67: 02-25-2007 at 02:01 PM.
allcar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 10:53 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
According to Darren Dreger of TSN,Atlanta is sending their #1 to the Blues for Fatchuk

He waived the NTC-off to Atlanta
Yeah, I guess i spoke too soon.

Old
02-25-2007, 10:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Yeah, I guess i spoke too soon.
Did you see what JD got for Fatchuk?

Quote:
The Blues get a first round pick in 2007, a third round pick in 2007 and and second round pick in 2008 plus Glen Metropolit. If Atlanta re-signs Tkachuk this summer the Blues will receive an additional first round pick in 2008.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=5779

Old
02-25-2007, 11:01 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Did you see what JD got for Fatchuk?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=5779
Yup, that's a nice bounty, which is why I think a Nylander almost certainly would bring a #1 this year, and a 2nd round pick next year.

Old
02-25-2007, 11:03 AM
eco's bones

A nagging voice in my head keeps telling me we're about to go through Kovy III. It won't go away.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 11:07 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Yup, that's a nice bounty, which is why I think a Nylander almost certainly would bring a #1 this year, and a 2nd round pick next year.
Knowing Slats,Nylander would go for some obscure young player(a Joe Balej type)plus a second round pick

Old
02-25-2007, 11:07 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
A nagging voice in my head keeps telling me we're about to go through Kovy III. It won't go away.
NO.

After seeing what all these vets are fetching, we should DEFINITELY drop out of the race, pick up some more assets, promote from HFD to NY, promote from Charlotte to HFD and see where we go.

Not everyone can be in the hunt, Glen. We are too far out, there are too many teams in the way, vets are drawing too much value and, from what I read, this draft year is too deep. Don't be an idiot...

The other thing is, with the names that are finally starting to go, if we DO become sellers, we have some of the better assets left...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote