HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 2/25/07. New Jersey Devils at Washington Capitals. Verizon Center. 1p.m.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2007, 04:08 PM
  #51
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
makfi just came about as close to a definitive statement on the deadline as he can make: "we will not trade young players." so, maybe eminger's not getting dealt after all...
It makes sense that he wouldn't be dealt, at least not now as I can't imagine the Caps getting much back for him.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:35 PM
  #52
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Devils score. Thanks Pothier.
Given what the refs have been calling this year, and what actually happend, that was probably one of the worst calls I've seen all year.

I don't mind them calling it tight, I don't mind it when they let them play, but to let them play all game, and call that BS the shift after the Caps tie it up, that's just plain old bad. It was in no way shape or form a penalty, Pothier played the puck, and the Devil tripped over his stick afterwards. Per the NHL rulebook, it is NOT a penalty. Yet, the Devils get their third PP in a row and take the game home with a bad call by the ref.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 04:37 PM
  #53
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Given what the refs have been calling this year, and what actually happend, that was probably one of the worst calls I've seen all year.

I don't mind them calling it tight, I don't mind it when they let them play, but to let them play all game, and call that BS the shift after the Caps tie it up, that's just plain old bad. It was in no way shape or form a penalty, Pothier played the puck, and the Devil tripped over his stick afterwards. Per the NHL rulebook, it is NOT a penalty. Yet, the Devils get their third PP in a row and take the game home with a bad call by the ref.
That really blows. I saw the Game Thread on the OBs explode after that call. Were Pothier or Hanlon pissed off or chirping?

I don't recall Kolbe commenting on the call being a good one or a bad one. Personally I like Kolbe, but I can see why people don't like him.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:42 PM
  #54
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
thanks...I checked ESPN's play by play and the last thing they have Semin doing is blocking a shot, maybe that has something to do with it...but ESPN is questionable at best when it comes to that kind of stuff

I've never seen a shift chart like that, weird
Semin is fine.

Here's what Hanlon had to say about him after the game (from Vogel's postgame notebook):
Quote:
“I felt that going down after the goal there,” began Hanlon, “that the groups that we played, I had a good feel for the rest of the guys. I felt that they were going to get it done. I just didn’t feel that Sasha was going to score a goal tonight, at the end there.”
I understand not playing him for much of the third period but not as the extra man after pulling Johnson? Kinda makes you want to scratch your head considering the other alternatives...


Last edited by Langway: 02-25-2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: added the quote
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:19 PM
  #55
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Semin is fine.

Here's what Hanlon had to say about him after the game (from Vogel's postgame notebook):


I understand not playing him for much of the third period but not as the extra man after pulling Johnson? Kinda makes you want to scratch your head considering the other alternatives...
If you look at Vogel's other comments it mentions Semin freelancing and not using his linemates.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:34 PM
  #56
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,871
vCash: 500
Well...You are down by one goal late in the third period and you have a 30 goal scorer sitting on the bench with the dog house leash on.

I guess since they are going to miss the playoffs, losing the game really doesn't mean much, but it tells you a lot about where we are.

1. We have a coach benching one of his two best chances NOT to lose the game.

2. We have the 2nd biggest offensive weapon on the team still getting benched for less than team like play.

3. We have a team that remains in free fall in the standings.

It all adds up to good news.

On the good side of things, Brent Johnson looks pretty much like a solid NHL goalie with a few games in a row to play in. Good for him.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:38 PM
  #57
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
If you look at Vogel's other comments it mentions Semin freelancing and not using his linemates.
Woops. Yeah, I had included mention of that in my comment before editing it (and accidentally deleting it).

But consider Hanlon's recent logic regarding Ovechkin and Russian players in general. Semin, too, needs consistent linemates to have a good enough feel of their tendencies and build chemistry. Last week, he was with Laich and Fehr. Now he's with Beech and Fleischmann. There is little consistency there and none of his linemates have shown to be nearly the offensive force that he is.

I don't understand the logic of not putting your second best goal scorer on the ice when you're looking to tie the game up. I can see benching him for the majority of the third but to say that Semin wasn't capable of scoring for you is:
a. absurd and
b. a big vote of no confidence in a young player

The truth is that Semin hasn't used his linemates the majority of the year because his linemates have stunk and he rightly should shoot first instead of passing. I agree with using discipline to instill certain points of emphasis but it seems excessive in that, in the process, Hanlon gave his team less of a chance to tie it up at the end.


Last edited by Langway: 02-25-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:41 PM
  #58
DevilsFan38
Registered User
 
DevilsFan38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
Is it just me or does Brashers socks look different from everyone elses???
I know this is waaaaaay late, but I think he uses black tape on his socks and tapes over the white stripes on his socks, so they look funky.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:55 PM
  #59
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Well...You are down by one goal late in the third period and you have a 30 goal scorer sitting on the bench with the dog house leash on.

I guess since they are going to miss the playoffs, losing the game really doesn't mean much, but it tells you a lot about where we are.

1. We have a coach benching one of his two best chances NOT to lose the game.

2. We have the 2nd biggest offensive weapon on the team still getting benched for less than team like play.

3. We have a team that remains in free fall in the standings.

It all adds up to good news.

On the good side of things, Brent Johnson looks pretty much like a solid NHL goalie with a few games in a row to play in. Good for him.

I think it says something about Hanlon. A win right now (since we're dead in the water) means less than teaching a moody young Russian how to play like a teammate.

Bravo Glenny. This is a team game and he's reinforcing that...rightly so IMO.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 08:24 PM
  #60
bigeasy
Registered User
 
bigeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Yankee in South Ga.
Country: United States
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Well...You are down by one goal late in the third period and you have a 30 goal scorer sitting on the bench with the dog house leash on.

I guess since they are going to miss the playoffs, losing the game really doesn't mean much, but it tells you a lot about where we are.

1. We have a coach benching one of his two best chances NOT to lose the game.

2. We have the 2nd biggest offensive weapon on the team still getting benched for less than team like play.

3. We have a team that remains in free fall in the standings.

It all adds up to good news.

On the good side of things, Brent Johnson looks pretty much like a solid NHL goalie with a few games in a row to play in. Good for him.
1. You make it seem like Hanlon shouldn't be benching anyone for not playing the way he wants -Otherwise who runs the show Players or Coach

2. Players don't always do what they are coached to do at all levels and more likely from 22 year old w/ 110 NHL games under his belt - still learner

3. Have you looked at the roster - of coarse they are injuries/ youth and lack of talent catching up w/ them.

No not all good news but certainly not all bad - weekend split w/ NJ beating Marty and play tough in loss w/ out our #1 Goalie and Captain. I will take it for now.

bigeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 09:29 AM
  #61
Poke06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
I can see one good thing coming out of this past weekend. With the way BJ has played the last two games we might not have to look too far for a replacement goalie when Oli decides to pack it in. He played a solid 2 games and kept us in both.

It was nice to see OV get a goal.

Poke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:22 PM
  #62
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy View Post
1. You make it seem like Hanlon shouldn't be benching anyone for not playing the way he wants -Otherwise who runs the show Players or Coach

2. Players don't always do what they are coached to do at all levels and more likely from 22 year old w/ 110 NHL games under his belt - still learner

3. Have you looked at the roster - of coarse they are injuries/ youth and lack of talent catching up w/ them.

No not all good news but certainly not all bad - weekend split w/ NJ beating Marty and play tough in loss w/ out our #1 Goalie and Captain. I will take it for now.
1. Its not good news when you have one of your few elite players benched. That bad for team and its not a good sign where the player is concerned.

I remember all the conversation about how much more mature Semin will be since the last time he played in the NHL. We still have Tarik's comments about him taking shifts off and his teammates not appreciating it. We have the comments above about him being a moody player. We have that he still doesn't choose to speak english. And now we have the guy being benched when the team needs a goal.

The 30 goals excites me. That other stuff worries me. Its bad enough that Eminger is being scratched game after game. This developement isn't what I was hoping for.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:30 PM
  #63
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
everything will be alright

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:44 PM
  #64
dinoflint
Registered User
 
dinoflint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Hmm, what part of 5 year plan don't we understand?

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 01:03 PM
  #65
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist
 
itsjustsurvival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: richmond, virginia.
Posts: 1,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Hmm, what part of 5 year plan don't we understand?
i get "year" mixed up with "month"

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 05:51 PM
  #66
bigeasy
Registered User
 
bigeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Yankee in South Ga.
Country: United States
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoflint View Post
Hmm, what part of 5 year plan don't we understand?
So true

bigeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 06:26 PM
  #67
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoflint View Post
Hmm, what part of 5 year plan don't we understand?
muuuust... haaaaaave... quickkkkkk ... fiiiiiiiiiix

aaargh zombies aaaaaaargh

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.