HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defense Depth

Old
02-25-2007, 02:42 PM
the Maniac

vCash: 500
Defense Depth

Have this on the "Hawks board... thought I'd do the same here...

Looking for a listing of New York's D-man depth in two categories, immediate future (next season or two) AND, oh let's say, 5 years down the line... maybe a little blurb after each one explaining your thoughts as to their potential (Offensive, Defensive, PP QB, Shut Down Rearguard, #1 D, #2 D, etc...)

Curious to see if there is a consensus among Ranger's fans... keep in mind to base these lists on the current crop of blue-liners (for obvious reasons )

Thanks in advance for your input...

the Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 02:51 PM
broadwayblue

I think most of us would love to see Tyutin, Staal, Sauer, Baranka, and Sanguinetti on the team in the next couple of years. All should have top two pairing ability. Others can comment on their particular strengths.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 03:09 PM
JerseyRangers

I'll start by stating the obvious. Staal will be in the NHL next season. I'm figuring that Rachunek is definetely a goner leaving us with Tyutin, Malik (can't see him getting traded) and Roszival (he might be gone by Tuesday). Right now I'm assuming that Ward is gone by Tuesday. That leaves room for either Baranka or Girardi and a free agent signing. Sangenetti is probably atleast a year or two away and Sauer will probably start the season in Hartford. Not sure what happens with Liffiton. Haven't seen enough of him but I just don't get the feeling that he will ever be more than a #7 d-man in the NHL. Taylor and Potter are still a few years away from even thinking about the NHL (if they ever reach that level).

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:43 PM
the Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
I'll start by stating the obvious. Staal will be in the NHL next season. I'm figuring that Rachunek is definetely a goner leaving us with Tyutin, Malik (can't see him getting traded) and Roszival (he might be gone by Tuesday). Right now I'm assuming that Ward is gone by Tuesday. That leaves room for either Baranka or Girardi and a free agent signing. Sangenetti is probably atleast a year or two away and Sauer will probably start the season in Hartford. Not sure what happens with Liffiton. Haven't seen enough of him but I just don't get the feeling that he will ever be more than a #7 d-man in the NHL. Taylor and Potter are still a few years away from even thinking about the NHL (if they ever reach that level).
Why is it that you think that Rachunek is "a goner"? Can you elaborate further with reasons (hard evidence where possible)... thanks.

the Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Maniac View Post
Why is it that you think that Rachunek is "a goner"? Can you elaborate further with reasons (hard evidence where possible)... thanks.
rachunek has been pretty poor in the defensive zone, he pinches at the wrong time, has been caught going to the wrong offensive player in the defensive zone (breakdowns in coverage), and he just hasn't been very good defensively, the only reason hes been in the lineup is because he is the one defensemen who is not afraid to shoot the puck and can get it on net and occassionally score a goal

he has some offensive talent, but he needs to work on his defensive game, the obvious reason he could be traded is because we have staal to take his spot next season

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 08:10 PM
nickrOck

hopefully we have a defenseman or two that can hit the net with his shot more then once a week.. or is'nt affraid to shoot the puck, and maybe just maybe one that does'nt constantly blow his defensive assignment..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Thor God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post

he has some offensive talent, but he needs to work on his defensive game, the obvious reason he could be traded is because we have staal to take his spot next season
On any other team, the most important part of being a defenseman would be defense.

Thor God of Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote