HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's up with Lidstrom?

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2003, 05:46 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
What's up with Lidstrom?

I have him in my Yahoo! pool, and he seems like he isn't playing well, statistically speaking. Every time I see the Wings score 6 or 7 goals, I check the box score, and he has 0 points. What is going on?

Old
12-10-2003, 05:50 PM
PigPen

I don't know.
He's not looking too impressive at all. He might just not give a damn anymore. What does he have to prove anyways? He's the greatest defenseman that's ever worn the winged wheel.
Or maybe all the pressure of being the go-to guy on the team is really getting to him.

I just hope he picks up his play really soon because if he does, this team will be an even bigger offensive force than they are now.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Actually he's playing his best hockey of the season IMO. Earlier in the year Lids was playing poor defensively because he was trying to pick up too much of the slack on the offensive end of things. Right now he's playing defense-first hockey which has allowed the Wings to open up at the front end. His name hasn't been showing up in the boxscores but he's been one of the key players during the Wings current run.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:07 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Actually he's playing his best hockey of the season IMO. Earlier in the year Lids was playing poor defensively because he was trying to pick up too much of the slack on the offensive end of things. Right now he's playing defense-first hockey which has allowed the Wings to open up at the front end. His name hasn't been showing up in the boxscores but he's been one of the key players during the Wings current run.
His defensive game has been much better. But offensively, it's just not there. His shots aren't getting through. He seems hesitant and a little slow (by his standards) to make decisions with the puck.
And he never, ever, ever seems to be part of the rush.

Old
12-11-2003, 05:48 AM
gnardini1998

Send a message via AIM to gnardini1998
Yeah, he's in my Yahoo pool also and, blasphamy, I have had thoughts of replacing him. Having him with Chelios didn't help. He could have had his mind set on being with Hatcher and thought he could ease up a bit.
I agree with the others that his defense was awfaul at the beginning but now is doing fine; but that doesn't help in the pools.
It would also help if he had some goal-tending behind him. Might he be too worried about doing their jobs for them, since they certainly aren't.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Spitfire11

The reason he isn't putting up many points is because he has to always stay back and cover for his partner.

Old
12-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Cruiser008

My theory is that Lidstrom has been playing with some kind of nagging injuries in recent weeks. Today he played only 23 minutes (less than his normal minutes) and looked 'jumpy' with the puck. However due to the plethora of injuries and Detroit's busy schedule of late he can't afford to rest a few games.

Old
12-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
He better pick up the offense or I don't know about another Norris......

Old
12-14-2003, 10:19 AM
PigPen

I don't think people can say that he's focusing only on defense this season because his defense has been terrible as well.
Lidstrom hasn't played a very good game in either end of the rink since November. He's on the powerplay and he's hardly ever shooting. He never jumps in the play anymore, and he's actually making mistakes in his own zone.
If he is injured, make him sit or cut his ice by about 10-15 minutes for a few games to give him a break. Schneider and Fischer can each log 20+ minutes, and both Kronwall and Wooley have played very steady as of late. Kronwall is a horse in GR who sometimes logs 28 or more minutes a night so giving him anywhere from 15-20 a couple games this year definately won't hurt him.

I just hope whatever is bugging him is minor.

Old
12-14-2003, 10:48 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
He better pick up the offense or I don't know about another Norris......
Didnt he do this last year too? slipped away first half, was the hottest defensemen offensively the second half?

Old
12-14-2003, 11:00 AM
sensens

Just a thought from a Sens fan, but it seems that having Mathieu Schneider in town has had a significant effect. Here's a guy playing just as many minutes, whose game is definitely more one-dimensionally offensive in nature. On the surface it seems that Lidstrom has perhaps focussed on compensating for the loss of the more defensive-oriented Hatcher and Chelios (a credit to his ability to do so), while leaving Schneider to be the more aggressive in terms of offense.

But it's also true that Lidstrom seems to be more of a 2nd half player... we'll have to see what happens. That being said, I've thoroughly enjoyed having Mathieu Schneider on my pool team all year, and hope that a resurgence by Lidstrom doesn't cost Schneider offensively.

Old
12-14-2003, 01:59 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
I think it would take a hellof a seaon for Lidstrom to win the Norris yet again. I'm pretty sure he won't get, not because of anything he has or hasn't done, but just because I think people will be more eager to vote for someone else.

Old
12-14-2003, 04:28 PM
zetterbergfan

Yeah, Lidstrom is slumping a little, which still makes him a better defenseman than most in the league. The team is still winning. It's good cause he will get hot right when a few other guys cool off!

Old
12-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav
I think it would take a hellof a seaon for Lidstrom to win the Norris yet again. I'm pretty sure he won't get, not because of anything he has or hasn't done, but just because I think people will be more eager to vote for someone else.
Say, Gonchar? He's a one man wrecking crew this year. Great offensive numbers and steady defensively.

I'm also one of the many that have Lidstrom in their drafts. However, I'm not as worried as others seem to be. Lidstrom is the best d-man in the league and the cream always rises to the top. He'll be just fine...

Old
12-14-2003, 07:53 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
I'm not really worried at all. I'm confident that he will be the old Nick Lidstrom that we've all come to know and love. I reckon that when winning consecutive awards, the next one is always that much harder. I think he would have to improve on his previous season in order to win it again, and that's gonna get pretty difficult at some point.

Old
12-15-2003, 09:21 AM
PigPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped
Say, Gonchar? He's a one man wrecking crew this year. Great offensive numbers and steady defensively.

I'm also one of the many that have Lidstrom in their drafts. However, I'm not as worried as others seem to be. Lidstrom is the best d-man in the league and the cream always rises to the top. He'll be just fine...
More like Blake, Jovanovski or Pronger.
Gonchar has been great offensively but absolute crap in his own end and he's been overplayed at least 5 minutes a game.

Old
12-15-2003, 10:44 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
More like Blake, Jovanovski or Pronger.
Gonchar has been great offensively but absolute crap in his own end and he's been overplayed at least 5 minutes a game.
Agreed - Pronger and Blake would head my list for the Norris.

Old
12-16-2003, 05:20 PM
tiredman

lidstrom is in my pool and he has only 3 goals and 16 points...
i hope he will do better

Closed Thread