HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dellapina believes Shanny will stay

Old
02-26-2007, 01:15 AM
LeftCoastRangersFan

vCash: 500
Dellapina believes Shanny will stay

I wrote to John Dellapina & asked him if he thought Shanny would be wearing Ranger Blue next year (& why we suck so much). John said he talked to him a month ago & Shanny said he loved it here (in NY) & wanted to stay. Lets hope this holds true I can post his reply if anyone's interested to read it in full.

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRangersFan View Post
I wrote to John Dellapina & asked him if he thought Shanny would be wearing Ranger Blue next year (& why we suck so much). John said he talked to him a month ago & Shanny said he loved it here (in NY) & wanted to stay. Lets hope this holds true I can post his reply if anyone's interested to read it in full.
please post it in full

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 01:29 AM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Arthur,

It would take me about a year to give you all of my thoughts on this. Suffice to say, there are obstacles to winning (many of their own doing) unique to the Rangers that few other franchises must hurdle. And when you consider them, it makes '94 even more amazing.

As for Shanny, I've chatted with him about this. He's wanted to play here for years, loves a lot about it and believes the Rangers can be winners again with the right moves this summer. Or, at least he did about a month ago. But I believe he'll be back -- unless he looks at his little children and decides it's time to become NHL commissioner.

One thing I'd say is that this year reminds me somewhat of 1997-98, when a badly underrated coach coming off a brilliant coaching job agonized through a dissatisfying follow-up season. The Rangers didn't have the gumption to stick with Colin Campbell then and paid for it with seven straight seasons out of the playoffs and one disastrous front-office move after another (Muckler's hiring leading to Smith's firing which led to Sather's hiring which led to Ron Low, Bryan Trottier and Sather himself coaching.)

This is no time to blame Tom Renney and start another doomed cycle.

-John

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat 2/24/2007 11:38 PM
To: Dellapina, John
Subject: Sat Feb 24/07 blog

Hi John,

I just read your blog tonight and would like to say it's great to hear Shanny is doing better than expected. Do you think he'll still be wearing a Blueshirt next year? I have reservations as to why he'd even want to stay with the Rangers.

Also, do you ever think the Rangers will become a winning franchise? I've been watching this team for 25 years, & have friends that have been avid Ranger fans since the 60's. We've had some pretty heated arguments over the reasons the Rangers are such a laughing stock. They argue we are stuffed with too many 'Euro types' & lack any grit. What do you think, John?

I think the problems we face go well beyond the players or their nationality. The number one defining problem with the New York Rangers is Organisational (i.e., structural) Philosophy. These problems can only be fixed in a top > down manner. I truly believe winning is of second importance to the owner of the club, since no owner whom cares about the product on the ice would ever let losing regimes carry on for years like they do in NY. That needs to change first. Then that philosophical change trickles down to the team President & GM, whom push said changes to the coaching staff & scouts, etc. Only then our players (whether this same roster or not) will have what we see almost every game from the players across the river in NJ. You know what it is, so I won't bother to spell it out for you (just ask any Devil's fan how often they fear blowing multi-goal leads going into the 3rd period).

I believe until the very fiber of this organisation changes, the Rangers will continue to be a (deserved) laughing stock no matter if we're stocked with players from Prague or Saskatoon.

Cheers,

Arthur

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 02:25 AM
The Thomas J.*

SHanny will e back, I mean the guy just has an MSG special #14 aired on Saturday, hes been here what 55 games? He loves it here, he has won his cups, hopefully he does not wilt away and die like we have seen with so many older Vets the Rangers have signed over the years.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 02:43 AM
Thor God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
SHanny will e back, I mean the guy just has an MSG special #14 aired on Saturday, hes been here what 55 games? He loves it here, he has won his cups, hopefully he does not wilt away and die like we have seen with so many older Vets the Rangers have signed over the years.
I really hope so. Shanny is the heart of this team right now. If anything, he's valuable to have around just due to the enormous amount of hockey knowledge that he could bestow on the younger players. Plus, he's a natural-born leader.

Thor God of Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 02:46 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

unless the rangers diss him by trading him (i dont want them to, i worship at the Shanahan altar) i dont see any way he doesnt come back. hes practically worshiped as a god here, no reason to turn your back on that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 02:52 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I think he came here with the intent of turning this project into a proven winner, and I don't see him bailing ship after a season like this.

Especially if he doesn't come back relatively long before the year ends.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 03:01 AM
GarretJoseph*

awesome post.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 05:08 AM
Kostik

One can only hope he will come back.
Give him a C for next season, don't use him on PK, give him proper 2nd line center and he will be even better than this year.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 06:19 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
One can only hope he will come back.
Give him a C for next season, don't use him on PK, give him proper 2nd line center and he will be even better than this year.
What do we with Jagr?

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
What do we with Jagr?
Give him an A.
I think if the Rangers will not make playoffs this year he will hand C to Shanny.
It will not be his fault, but he should take responsibility for that, and i think it's best for him.
I'm not still sold how good leader he is, he needs to prove it now, push this team into the playoffs.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 08:31 AM
alkurtz

Agree with LeftCoastRangerFan about Colin Campbell....in retrospect, one of the worst moves we've ever made was to can him. Not so sure that Renney is in that class but, though I've had major disagreements with his coaching, I'm not so sure firing him will change the culture of the organization. That is...unless we can sweep out the whole sorry group...Sather, et al.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 08:47 AM
92hatchattack

God i hope shanny stays. He is the identity of our club right now. I pray that we see Shanny retire as a blueshirt in the end.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 09:29 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Give him an A.
I think if the Rangers will not make playoffs this year he will hand C to Shanny.
It will not be his fault, but he should take responsibility for that, and i think it's best for him.
I'm not still sold how good leader he is, he needs to prove it now, push this team into the playoffs.
Could someone please educate me on how everyone knows what kind of Captain Jagr is?

You're going to tell me he "looks" like he doesn't care. He has no drive. He doesn't backcheck...

Oh wait, I think I figured it out. Game on the line, Jagr zips through a 5 on 1 and scores every time and leads him team to victory.

02-26-2007, 09:37 AM
94now

Jagr always wanted someone like Shanny to wear "C". That should not be a problem.
I agree on Renny, obviously, since I seem to be the only Tom's supporter here. I'm not sure that Suppie was as good as Renney, but I can see the similarity in Richter letting Rangers and Campbell down back in 97-98 the way Lundqvist did in 06-07.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:27 PM
BigE

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing that.

What Dellapina has shared about Tom Renney is also something that needs to be remembered.

People forget that just like this organizations prospects, Tom Renney is also developing as a coach. He showed signs of brilliance for most of last year, and has at times shown the same quality this season.

I still support him.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 01:12 PM
The Thomas J.*

Firing Campbell was such a bad move.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Shanny will be back. Book it.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 01:52 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I mean the guy just has an MSG special #14 aired on Saturday, hes been here what 55 games?
lol, you know I was thinking the same thing. They are getting a little out of control with this thing. The guy hasn't even been here for a season and they are giving him a tribute like he has been a lifelong ranger. I am waiting for the #44 Per Djoos tribute next week.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
lol, you know I was thinking the same thing. They are getting a little out of control with this thing. The guy hasn't even been here for a season and they are giving him a tribute like he has been a lifelong ranger. I am waiting for the #44 Per Djoos tribute next week.
So you'd compare Per Djoos to a HOF player?

I understand that they are doing 'profiles' on classic NYR's & current NYR's, no? Whats the big deal, like I said, he's a player worth having a show about.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting show, there was alot I didn't know about Shanny before he was in the NHL. Plus some of the background music they used was SIGUR ROS, one of the best bands in the world.

Last edited by Bluenote13: 02-26-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old
02-26-2007, 02:14 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So you'd compare Per Djoos to a HOF player?

I understand that they are doing 'profiles' on classic NYR's & current NYR's, no? Whats the big deal, like I said, he's a player worth having a show about.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting show, there was alot I didn't know about Shanny before he was in the NHL.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Shanny will be back. Book it.
I must agree and I wouldnt be pissed or even care if they gave him a 2 year deal, the guy is a great leader and will be great for the kids to show them what a true heart and soul hockey player is, as well as a man who actually cares for his team & loves playing in NY.

He is what NYR needs and MUST keep around. Even if he slows down drop him to the 3rd, but i dont see him slowing down enough for that to even happen.Anyway my point is as said above, the guy is here and NYR must keep this guy2 year deal with a 3rd year option, is fine with me as well.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 02:25 PM
VIL8BUBBLE

Everyone is speculating on whether Shanny is coming back next year, but I was wondering, is he gonna come back this year at all? All I have heard was he was put on the IR, but not if he plans on coming back to finish the season? It looked pretty violent and I love Shanny, so I would rather him not come back, get his mind right, and hopefully be back next year to finish what he started. Can anyone help me out? Didn't LaFontaine suffer the same thing and it was a career ender?

VIL8BUBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Edge

Personally I think this team needs Shanahan back, even if it's for two years and his role diminishes over time.

There are some guys on this team that the Rangers ideally should try to compliment and build around and he is one of them.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIL8BUBBLE View Post
Everyone is speculating on whether Shanny is coming back next year, but I was wondering, is he gonna come back this year at all? All I have heard was he was put on the IR, but not if he plans on coming back to finish the season? It looked pretty violent and I love Shanny, so I would rather him not come back, get his mind right, and hopefully be back next year to finish what he started. Can anyone help me out? Didn't LaFontaine suffer the same thing and it was a career ender?
Pat already had head issues and was not a physical player to begin with. This is Shanny's first head injury to speak of. I wouldn't be oppsoed to him sitting out the rest of the year, but thats not gonna happen if and when he feels like he's ready to go.

The guy wants to be here, I don't think it'll be tough to get a deal done.