HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

GDT: Oilers vs. Sharks Dec.11

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
Why did Conks have to start one? We are talking about a guy who usually plays 65-70+ games a year and now he can't play back to back games on succesive nights? It doesn't matter that he just came back from an injury....if he's healthy enough to play then he should play. 3 games in 4 nights isn't going to kill Tommy....if anything it may get him in a groove if he plays well.
Does Dominic Hasek ring a bell? Ray Whitney? Both players came back from a groin injury and got injured on their return. Salo had a hip/groin injury and the team is being cautious so he doesn't reagravate the injury.

12-11-2003, 06:58 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
Why did Conks have to start one? We are talking about a guy who usually plays 65-70+ games a year and now he can't play back to back games on succesive nights? It doesn't matter that he just came back from an injury....if he's healthy enough to play then he should play. 3 games in 4 nights isn't going to kill Tommy....if anything it may get him in a groove if he plays well.
Was about to say this.
Problem here is although it is ideal for a goalie to play only one game in a back to back situation, the most important thing is ending the slump before all else. Since Conklin and the rest of the team hasn't been able to do it, why not give the goalie that we have been begging to steal us a game in the last few years a fair shot at it. Could care less about tommorows game. It's another day and I'll eat my shoe if the Oil lose again!

Old
12-11-2003, 07:01 PM
jadeddog

interesting that they seem to be dominating play again but not getting the results..... again.... this is a story ive heard entirely too many times over the past 2-3 seasons..... things like this only backup my argument that the oilers may be decnt in a couple years, but until they get a guy that can produce 30+ goals/season consistantly they will have problems like this..... all it takes is one player who has a killer shot to make this an oiler tie/win, but we dont have such a player

Old
12-11-2003, 07:01 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Does Dominic Hasek ring a bell? Ray Whitney? Both players came back from a groin injury and got injured on their return. Salo had a hip/groin injury and the team is being cautious so he doesn't reagravate the injury.
There's times to be cautious and also times to throw that aside when your team has one win in the last 8 or so. I'm sure Salo is well rested. I won't say anymore for the rest of the night. Hopefully Conklin gets it done.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:03 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Was about to say this.
Problem here is although it is ideal for a goalie to play only one game in a back to back situation, the most important thing is ending the slump before all else. Since Conklin and the rest of the team hasn't been able to do it, why not give the goalie that we have been begging to steal us a game in the last few years a fair shot at it. Could care less about tommorows game. It's another day and I'll eat my shoe if the Oil lose again!
heres the thing though.... many people (myself included) think that salo HAS had the chance to "steal us a game"..... he had the chance for the early part of this season and ALL of last season, and hes proved in both occasions to be one of the worst starting goalies in the league.... he has had his chance many times over

Old
12-11-2003, 07:03 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

HEMSKY!!! form smith and york

Old
12-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Dangerdanger

YEEEAAHHH Hemsky!

Old
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

wwwwwooooohhhhhooooooo, hemsky cmon man shoot more sounds like a great shot.

Old
Oi'll say!

Hemsky RIPS A DRIVE!

Old
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
HEMSKY!!! form smith and york
Smyth or Smith???

Old
goldenchild

What a shot by Hemsky top corner 2-2
The Sharks anouncer said that Craig Simpson was working with Hemmer on that shot this morning skating to his right and then shooting against the grain. Beautiful goal.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:05 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

he said jason smith got the assist

Old
12-11-2003, 07:09 PM
gpearson1968

Quote:
he said jason smith got the assist

Wow, Edmonton already has 33 shots, and we haven't finished the 2nd period yet.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:11 PM
gretzky2kurri

Rod says the Oilers are completely dominating now.

Is this a good thing.....I'm not sure anymore.....lol.

Some of these periods seem 2 days apart the way this team "sometimes" comes back out of the dressing room.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Cerebral

Great period!! Amazing work by Dvorak and Moreau.. Dvorak drew an awesome penalty by beating two Sharks players to the puck for a near breakaway that had at least 4 steps on him! Hemsky had a great shot.. you could tell the Sharks players were backing off on him waiting for the pass so he just let it rip top corner!

Old
12-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpearson1968
Wow, Edmonton already has 33 shots, and we haven't finished the 2nd period yet.

Cheers,
Geoff.
Really this isnt surprising, they have been getting alot of shots per game latey. Just not alot of them have been going in.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:14 PM
capebretonoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Rod says the Oilers are completely dominating now.

Is this a good thing.....I'm not sure anymore.....lol.

Some of these periods seem 2 days apart the way this team "sometimes" comes back out of the dressing room.
First time in 9 games not behind going into the third--i knew this was
a bad stretch but wow --- %^#* we need this game tonight--

Old
12-11-2003, 07:16 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretonoilers
First time in 9 games not behind going into the third--i knew this was
a bad stretch but wow --- %^#* we need this game tonight--
Agreed.. hopefully all the Oilers can come out next period with the intensity that Moreau and Dvorak showed in the second. I think Horcoff is having a great game again today.. good work in the faceoff circle and he's been really strong down low! I'm still expecting to see a million "Horcoff looks like a lost dog out there" posts after the game though.. :mad:

Old
12-11-2003, 07:18 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Agreed.. hopefully all the Oilers can come out next period with the intensity that Moreau and Dvorak showed in the second. I think Horcoff is having a great game again today.. good work in the faceoff circle and he's been really strong down low! I'm still expecting to see a million "Horcoff looks like a lost dog out there" posts after the game though.. :mad:
nope...the game isnt on tv in edmonton

Old
12-11-2003, 07:24 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
nope...the game isnt on tv in edmonton
Hehe fair enough.. One interesting thing to note: Edmonton's last penalty kill looked very good.. they pressed down ice and actually used their speed to get back and interupt passes in the neutral zone. From what I've noticed the past couple games, their biggest problem is that the forwards collapse down too far in the defensive zone and leave the defenceman (read: Brad Stuart) open for a big booming shot. They need to play a little higher and let their big d-men like Brewer and Semenov take care of the work down low..

Old
12-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Oi'll say!

Oh god, I forgot all about Mike Ricci.

Ignorance was bliss....

Old
12-11-2003, 07:36 PM
jadeddog

even though i still dont think hemsky is the answer to edmontons need for a sniper (not that i dont think he'll be great, but more of a 20g,45a/season type guy).... i think it should be pointed out that in hemskys 27th game tonight he has surpassed his goal total from last year (6) when he played 59 games..... even though hemsky may still need to shot a bit more, this is a VERY encouraging sign.... hes actually much farther ahead than i was expecting (or hoping for) at this point in the season

Old
12-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
even though i still dont think hemsky is the answer to edmontons need for a sniper (not that i dont think he'll be great, but more of a 20g,45a/season type guy).... i think it should be pointed out that in hemskys 27th game tonight he has surpassed his goal total from last year (6) when he played 59 games..... even though hemsky may still need to shot a bit more, this is a VERY encouraging sign.... hes actually much farther ahead than i was expecting (or hoping for) at this point in the season

Hemsky has a huge offensive upside. Some project him to be a top 10 scorer one day.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Oi'll say!

The Sharks were outshot 19-3 in the 2nd period but they got the first 7 shots in the third...

Old
12-11-2003, 07:46 PM
capebretonoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
The Sharks were outshot 19-3 in the 2nd period but they got the first 7 shots in the third...
I haven't seen any negative comments regarding Oates play--
I realize its only been a few games but 1 pt so far ...? anyone else getting impatient??

Closed Thread