HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weekes/ Valiquette

Old
02-26-2007, 10:30 AM
VIL8BUBBLE

vCash: 500
Weekes/ Valiquette

Is weekes still injured? If he is, that means he is unavailable to be traded right? I always liked him, thought he was a good veteran presence to have around Lundquist last year and the beginning of this year. But Lundquist to me, and probably many of you guys too, has shown me that he can stand on his own and doesn't need that veteran presence anymore, if he ever really needed it. With that said, I don't know why Valiquette is the backup. Is it just so Montoya plays "everyday" in Hartford instead of riding the bench? Does anyone think that once managment realizes we are not making the playoffs, we could see Montoya called up for a few games and get some spot starts? Obviously he is considered a goalie of the future, but shouldn't we be wanting to know if he is going to be our Richter, or our Vanbiesbrouk(spelling?) If we call him up for a few games, would he become a free agent one year earlier? Maybe thats a reason we wont see him.

VIL8BUBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 10:32 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIL8BUBBLE View Post
Is weekes still injured? If he is, that means he is unavailable to be traded right?
Yes, he's still injured, which is a shame because he would have been a decent chip to sell.

Quote:
With that said, I don't know why Valiquette is the backup. Is it just so Montoya plays "everyday" in Hartford instead of riding the bench? Does anyone think that once managment realizes we are not making the playoffs, we could see Montoya called up for a few games and get some spot starts?
Yes and yes.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 10:35 AM
UAGoalieGuy

On a side note, since Weekes is gone and Valiquette is older, the Rangers should draft a goalie in the 3rd-4th round of this years draft (or a round earlier in next years draft) since Montoya likely will be the Rangers backup next season and that leaves just Holt in the system goalie wise.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Nich

monty should NOT be the back-up next season. he should start 80% of games down in HTD

that being said, yes we should draft at least 1 goalie this year.

and we should sign someone for a year to back up lundqvist

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 10:46 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
monty should NOT be the back-up next season. he should start 80% of games down in HTD

that being said, yes we should draft at least 1 goalie this year.

and we should sign someone for a year to back up lundqvist
I think that Montoya should be given a chance to battle Lundqvist for the #1 job next season. A third year in Hartford for Montoya just doesn't seem right to me. Even if Lundqvist beats out Montoya for the starting job, starting 30% of the games gives Lundqvist a much needed break and also increases Montoya's trade value in the process (Something that will not increase playing in the AHL for another year).

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 10:49 AM
VIL8BUBBLE

I think Montoya has proved alot in Hartford this year and doesn't need much more seasoning in the AHL. It might be smart to have him start the year next season in the AHL and call him up halfway through. If Montoya doesn't start the year with the big club, I would like to see Weekes re-signed to a one year contract. Like a previous poster said, he is a good chip to be had. Next year he will be a year older, but probably still a productive player that would net us at least a draft pick. That being said I would much rather have Montoya up here playing 15-20 games to spell the King

Old
02-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Nich

well i think another year is def needed. last year he played most of the games, had that freak injury, and now this year he has played half of the games. i think they are taking there time with him because there really is no reason not to with lundqvist in ny. give him a year where he can get back to playing most of the games and get back his endurance he showed last year, without getting a crazy shoulder injury.

and just think, did that 3rd year hurt ryan miller? consistency is key.

and true, 30% of nhl games would increase his trade value, but what could 80% of games in the ahl do to his skill level?

there is no reason to look at monty as a trade chip right now since we are still rebuilding and have no other goalies right now with a high ceiling

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
as much as i dislike weekes and think he couldn't stop a medicine ball, if montoya gets another year in the AHL, i'd sign weekes TO THE ABSOLUT LEAGUE MINIMUM to ride the bench for 65-70 games.

cant believe i just wrote that...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 11:25 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
as much as i dislike weekes and think he couldn't stop a medicine ball, if montoya gets another year in the AHL, i'd sign weekes TO THE ABSOLUT LEAGUE MINIMUM to ride the bench for 65-70 games.

Weekes will get a much better offer than that from another team. He's not nearly as bad as you and many others on this board claim.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Alex Westlund can be my goalie.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:08 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post

There is no way Weekes will go for that.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:20 PM
frozenrubber

Playoffs/Injury

If Montoya can stay healthy for the remainder of the year and have a strong playoffs, there is absolutely no reason for another year in the AHL

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Hockeyplayer99

Nolan Sheafer is a UFA lets sign him to backup Henrick. He was never given a chance in the NHL with SJ as they have 2 good goalies and from what I heard Nolan Sheafer is a good goalie.

Hockeyplayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 01:19 PM
VIL8BUBBLE

I don't think signing a relative unknown is really the way to go. If Montoya doesn't get the nod as the backup next year, why would you want to take a shot on someone unproven? He's not gonna be in the future plans, and odds are more likely that he would be a bust than a stud. If the goalie is only gonna play 15 games, you would rather have someone that you know what you are gonna get, rather than hoping for something big.

Old
02-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I dont know, I have a feeling that Montoya may be used as trade bait this season.I havent read anything to indicate this, but with the limited talent the Rangers have to trade and the need for quality talent, I can see him going to someone else. I dont want him to, but its just a hunch.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 05:51 PM
shoothepuck

Montoya is still unproven in the NHL. He should be given some spot games this year, depending on how the team plays the next few games, and Weekes is no longer needed.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote