HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The rodent with harsh words for Renney...

View Poll Results: Is Renney this teams problem?
HELL YES! 30 33.71%
Yes by default. 19 21.35%
I really don't know. 27 30.34%
NO WAY! 13 14.61%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2007, 12:36 PM
  #1
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
The rodent with harsh words for Renney...

"Renney is delusional, people. He is out of touch with reality. He seeks a transaction fix for what he cannot repair with coaching acumen. And Glen Sather needs to look his bench boss right in the eye and say "No!"

This could be a very scary sixty hours 'tween now and the trading deadline. If Renney has his way, something stupid is gonna happen. "

http://hockeyrodent.com/

As for the pole, at this point I'm saying yes by default. The talent's there, the leaderships not. Jagr, Renney and Sather are the only ones I can blame now.


Last edited by WheresBarnaby: 02-25-2007 at 12:41 PM.
WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 12:43 PM
  #2
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,619
vCash: 500
The team is not going to do anything stupid. They have to realize that they are not on the cusp of greatness at this moment. We should start the sale right now...one more great offseason could really set us up for the future. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they won't do anything dumb at this point.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 01:47 PM
  #3
AXN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Playing Betts on the second line is not going to improve the scoring. Playing Pock and watching him go -3 against Blue Jackets is not good either. He should have realized a long time ago that his defense is crap and Betts is not a scorer.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 01:51 PM
  #4
The New Originals
Registered User
 
The New Originals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: A.V. Land
Country: United States
Posts: 4,934
vCash: 500
The Rangers will do something really foolish within the next few days. I guarantee it.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 01:55 PM
  #5
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingasitseems View Post
The Rangers will do something really foolish within the next few days. I guarantee it.
Fortunately for us there isn't a few days left.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 02:31 PM
  #6
LeftCoastRangersFan
Registered User
 
LeftCoastRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingasitseems View Post
The Rangers will do something really foolish within the next few days. I guarantee it.
I wouldn't bet against that.

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 03:03 PM
  #7
JerseyRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,606
vCash: 500
Voted Hell Yes! I've been saying the same thing for months. Starts with Renney's inability to get more outta what should be one of the top pp teams in the NHL. Off the top of my head I can think of a half dozen games that were lost due to the pp's inability to put the puck in the net. Add to that mind numbing decisions like last Saturday's brain fart of not dressing Orr to his treatment of Prucha to waiting way to long in keeping the Straka-Nylander-Jagr line together and not taking advantage of Shanny's hot start. In addition he didn't get Pock in enough games to determine what to do with him next season and at the same time allowing Pock to qualify for UFA. What a stupid, stupid job of asset management on his part. Time to fire that jackass!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 03:35 PM
  #8
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I voted Hell No! I read Rodent almost everyday and he is off on this one. What is the head coach supposed to say? Nah we are done, I hope we lose all this deadweight and look foward to the future. He is the coach which means he is the one directing this team, what would the players think if he said something like that?

Last time I checked Sather is the gm (atleast I think he is) so Renney saying he wants whoever has zero weight. He is the coach and uses what his gm gives him to put out there. He gets input i'm sure but I doubt he has the weight to overturn managements decisions. Last I heard Maloney said they had a plan, not Renney had a plan, lets see the next phase of the Sather/Maloney plan, what are we now 4 years into it?

One final note to the people asking for Renney's head and not Sathers, why would u trust Sather to find a coach this time if you feel Renney, his 4th choice, isn't a good one either? I mean on odds alone, some of us on here could have a chance to find a good one 1 out of 4 times.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 03:40 PM
  #9
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
Voted Hell Yes! I've been saying the same thing for months. Starts with Renney's inability to get more outta what should be one of the top pp teams in the NHL. Off the top of my head I can think of a half dozen games that were lost due to the pp's inability to put the puck in the net. Add to that mind numbing decisions like last Saturday's brain fart of not dressing Orr to his treatment of Prucha to waiting way to long in keeping the Straka-Nylander-Jagr line together and not taking advantage of Shanny's hot start. In addition he didn't get Pock in enough games to determine what to do with him next season and at the same time allowing Pock to qualify for UFA. What a stupid, stupid job of asset management on his part. Time to fire that jackass!

In defense to his treatment of Pock;

Young players Renney has played in the last two years:

Lundqvist, Prucha, Immonen, D. Moore, Pock, Callahan, Tyutin, Liffiton, Girardi, Dawes, Hossa. Name another coach in the last 10 + years who has given this many young guys playing time in critical parts of a season, not the last 8-10 games where the season is lost.

I don't know where the thought that he doesn't use younger players comes from. Maybe he doesn't do it to the extent some posters would like, but he has given more kids shots for this team than any coach in my memory.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 03:44 PM
  #10
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
It's a scary proposition Renney is making. Perhaps they caught him in a bad moment where he was going off of emotion rather than thought. His statement certainly comes in stark contrast to the sentiment he, Maloney, and Sather have been preaching all year in regards to building a team and not sacrificing youth for a short fix.

What does he think a last-ditch fix is going to accomplish? Perhaps he's thinking if we go 15-5 in the next 20 we'll actually have the momentum needed to be successful in the playoffs, but I can't see us beating Buffalo, or New Jersey in the first round.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 03:46 PM
  #11
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
In defense to his treatment of Pock;

Young players Renney has played in the last two years:

Lundqvist, Prucha, Immonen, D. Moore, Pock, Callahan, Tyutin, Liffiton, Girardi, Dawes, Hossa. Name another coach in the last 10 + years who has given this many young guys playing time in critical parts of a season, not the last 8-10 games where the season is lost.

I don't know where the thought that he doesn't use younger players comes from. Maybe he doesn't do it to the extent some posters would like, but he has given more kids shots for this team than any coach in my memory.
I think the major criticism of Renney is that he doesn't give the young guys enough of a chance to show what they can do. Giving a kid a few games and then demoting him to Hartford isn't really a fair shot imo. But it's not totally Renney's fault either. The team is stuck between a rock and a hard place...they're trying to build the team for the future, but at the same time still have the kind of guys (Jagr, Shanahan) who scream win now! So what's a guy to do? That's why Jagr needs to go. It's the only way to keep management focussed on the longterm game plan.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 03:46 PM
  #12
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
^I think the reason why people are asking for Renney's head and not Sather's is because they know Renney is much more likely to be fired than Sather. Dolan loves Sather. The team has made the playoffs one time and has won zero playoff games, yet do you ever hear Dolan even slightly criticize Sather? Ever hear him offer an ultimatum or a threat to get the Rangers winning some playoff series or he's out of here? Never.

In my opinion, all three are to blame--Dolan, Sather and Renney. But Dolan is the big boss, so the majority of the blame goes to him. If he's too stupid/proud/stubborn to admit that Sather has been a mistake, then I don't see how things are going to drastically improve.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:01 PM
  #13
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,260
vCash: 500
nice read ...I agree with Rodent. Renney has always spoken about the Rangers in terms of long term goals. Now he is talking in the present? Maybe he is trying to save his job. I think Renney should NOT be fired but moved back into player development. That is truely his forte, not coaching.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:10 PM
  #14
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,813
vCash: 500
Cant disagree w/ the rodent.

ive been saying since the beginning of the season that Renney is a terrible coach. some have been saying it since hte olympics last season.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:12 PM
  #15
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingasitseems View Post
The Rangers will do something really foolish within the next few days. I guarantee it.
according to one of my sources, you may be correct...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:26 PM
  #16
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
according to one of my sources, you may be correct...
Care to elaborate?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:47 PM
  #17
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Care to elaborate?
Yes,please do.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:56 PM
  #18
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
In defense to his treatment of Pock;
What defense? Pock has been playing solid and gets rewarded by being a healthy scratch. Right now, he should be in the lineup ahead of either Rachunek or Malik. And should have been for a while. His play certainly dictates that. What are the chances that either is benched if Ward is back on Tuesday?
Quote:
Young players Renney has played in the last two years:

Lundqvist, Prucha, Immonen, D. Moore, Pock, Callahan, Tyutin, Liffiton, Girardi, Dawes, Hossa.
He had no choice but to play Henke. Prucha only got the chance (and out of Hartford) to play on the top-2 lines when Rucincky got hurt. When a one-armed, utterly ineffective Rucinsky returnd, Renney had no more use for Prucha on the top-2 lines. Immonen barely played in NY, so he is hardly a good example. Pock has yet to recieve an opportunity, despite the fact that his play has been better than some of the Czech defensemen. Callahan played minimal minutes on the 4th line. So neither he nor Pock are good examples. Liffiton barely played in NY. Another poor example. Dawes could not get off the 4th line when he was here, despite the fact the he outplayed some of the vets in camp.
Quote:
Name another coach in the last 10 + years who has given this many young guys playing time in critical parts of a season, not the last 8-10 games where the season is lost.
I am still struggling to find all of these young guys playing critical minutes in critical games that you are sighting.
Quote:
I don't know where the thought that he doesn't use younger players comes from.
Try looking at the lineup for most of the season.
Quote:
Maybe he doesn't do it to the extent some posters would like, but he has given more kids shots for this team than any coach in my memory.
Playing 3 minutes on the 4th line.....what an opportunity!!!

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 05:59 PM
  #19
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,813
vCash: 500
check out my blog, basically my source tells me the Rangers are looking to be buyers as of this morning. *sigh*

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:21 PM
  #20
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
What defense? Pock has been playing solid and gets rewarded by being a healthy scratch. Right now, he should be in the lineup ahead of either Rachunek or Malik. And should have been for a while. His play certainly dictates that. What are the chances that either is benched if Ward is back on Tuesday?

He had no choice but to play Henke. Prucha only got the chance (and out of Hartford) to play on the top-2 lines when Rucincky got hurt. When a one-armed, utterly ineffective Rucinsky returnd, Renney had no more use for Prucha on the top-2 lines. Immonen barely played in NY, so he is hardly a good example. Pock has yet to recieve an opportunity, despite the fact that his play has been better than some of the Czech defensemen. Callahan played minimal minutes on the 4th line. So neither he nor Pock are good examples. Liffiton barely played in NY. Another poor example. Dawes could not get off the 4th line when he was here, despite the fact the he outplayed some of the vets in camp.

I am still struggling to find all of these young guys playing critical minutes in critical games that you are sighting.

Try looking at the lineup for most of the season.

Playing 3 minutes on the 4th line.....what an opportunity!!!

TB, you are talking about the Extremes. Dawes was given a chance and he blew it. Callahan was given a cup of coffee, a lot of teams do that. I noticed you didn't mention Tyutin. Who cares how Prucha got his shot, he got it and Renney gave it to him. Immonen had a few chances to stick, not Renneys fault he couldnt produce while playing with good players to stay up. Pock is playing now and it is a critical time in the season, as is Girardi, Tyutin, Lundvist, Hossa, Prucha, and Hollweg, so how wrong am by looking at the lines like you told me to.

And if he were to give more icetime to kids what ones do you feel are ready to make an impact to an NHL during a playoff run? Callahan? Possibly, but the rest I don't see as an upgrade to anything we already have in the lineup. Girardi was given a chance from the Pack and while not spectacular he seems to have found a spot with the team, again Renney not playing those young guys.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:22 PM
  #21
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
check out my blog, basically my source tells me the Rangers are looking to be buyers as of this morning. *sigh*
Can I have a link to this blog?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 06:37 PM
  #22
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,813
vCash: 500
rangersreview.com its usally in my sig.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:19 PM
  #23
JerseyRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
TB, you are talking about the Extremes. Dawes was given a chance and he blew it. Callahan was given a cup of coffee, a lot of teams do that. I noticed you didn't mention Tyutin. Who cares how Prucha got his shot, he got it and Renney gave it to him. Immonen had a few chances to stick, not Renneys fault he couldnt produce while playing with good players to stay up. Pock is playing now and it is a critical time in the season, as is Girardi, Tyutin, Lundvist, Hossa, Prucha, and Hollweg, so how wrong am by looking at the lines like you told me to.

And if he were to give more icetime to kids what ones do you feel are ready to make an impact to an NHL during a playoff run? Callahan? Possibly, but the rest I don't see as an upgrade to anything we already have in the lineup. Girardi was given a chance from the Pack and while not spectacular he seems to have found a spot with the team, again Renney not playing those young guys.
How did Dawes blow his chance? Did he do any worse than J. Ward, Betts, Cullen, Krog or any of the other players that have been on the 3rd or 4th line? Callahan was given two games, hardly a chance to prove anything. The way Immonen was used also didn't make any sense. Immonen actually played pretty well and was replaced by Cullen and Betts who have done squat for most of the season.

Defensively they've been a mess all season. How many games did they need to get Pock in to get him qualified as a RFA. That was a major screw up and thats all on Renney. I could go on.

Lastly, why haven't you addressed his pathetic handling of the pp? With the talent we have that pp should be top 5 in the league. Instead we have a hard time just being average. Finally, we did it take so long to break up Straka-Nylander-Jagr when it obviously wasn't working.

Too many things Renney has done that don't make sense. He's horrible at making adjustments during the game. His team has had no fire all season long. His team hasn't stood up for Jagr all season. All these things are a poor reflection on Renney and that is why he needs to go!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:39 PM
  #24
bmoak
Registered User
 
bmoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
Lastly, why haven't you addressed his pathetic handling of the pp? With the talent we have that pp should be top 5 in the league. Instead we have a hard time just being average.
The Rangers are 7th in the NHL with a 19.2% (better than last season). If the Rangers have "a hard time just being average", that means there must be about 20 teams that must flat out suck with the man advantage.

Also, I've never really heard of a team having an elite power play (if you think 19.2% is bad, I'm guessing you wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than 25%) without a top-notch point man, which the team lacks. I also thought the current board consensus wisdom is that Nylander is a DETRIMENT to the power play because he never shoots.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2007, 07:48 PM
  #25
squilber
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I think the major criticism of Renney is that he doesn't give the young guys enough of a chance to show what they can do. Giving a kid a few games and then demoting him to Hartford isn't really a fair shot imo. But it's not totally Renney's fault either. The team is stuck between a rock and a hard place...they're trying to build the team for the future, but at the same time still have the kind of guys (Jagr, Shanahan) who scream win now! So what's a guy to do? That's why Jagr needs to go. It's the only way to keep management focussed on the longterm game plan.
I agree about trading Jagr. He is still a great player but the Rangers are going nowhere this year and I would trade him now while you can get a lot for him. Some teams would kill for him. He is having a down year and simply is not a leader and can not carry the team this year. The Devils seem to shut him down every game no problem.

squilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.