HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Infection caused by exposure to equipment

Old
02-27-2007, 12:00 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Infection caused by exposure to equipment

I saw this several weeks back when someone was talking about a player who had a cut, which then infected, caused by the fact that he was often wearing sweaty equipment on the wound. This type of infection had a specific name, starting with an "s" I believe (though I can not be sure).

Name that infection! What is it called? I am looking for more information on it, as I am currently recovering from the same infliction.

Last edited by OneMoreAstronaut: 02-27-2007 at 12:03 AM. Reason: clarification
OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 12:09 AM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

vCash: 500
i remember seeing something on tv about this. sorry name of it is at the tip of my toungue but i can't remember it. lol this'll bug me till i figure it out.

Freddie Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Tbone54

isnt it a staph infection??

One of the Buffalo guys had one last playoff series i believe.

Tbone54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Yep its a staph infection.

02-27-2007, 12:47 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
That was exactly it. Thanks very much!

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:31 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
That was exactly it. Thanks very much!
I read about the time Renberg got one of those and almost had his arm amputated. Needless to say, after reading that, I always air out all of my equipment, and wash it a lot more often now.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
An article on the subject from USA Hockey Magazine:

http://www.usahockeymagazine.com/sto...ght_nav=normal

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:37 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Great stuff to have if you are worried is Liquid Band-aid or any comparable products.....covers the stuff right up while cleaning it out.

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:24 AM
petenik

nasty stuff....be especially careful with cuts to the hand. We all know gloves smell the worst, well guess what's causing that smell? In university my roommate almost lost his arm from an infection. Not fun.

petenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
I saw this several weeks back when someone was talking about a player who had a cut, which then infected, caused by the fact that he was often wearing sweaty equipment on the wound. This type of infection had a specific name, starting with an "s" I believe (though I can not be sure).

Name that infection! What is it called? I am looking for more information on it, as I am currently recovering from the same infliction.
It happened to Patrik Elias in 2002. (unrealted to his hepatitis infection) They believe the cut developed on his finger from pulling tight on his laces when tying his skates, and then putting his hand in and out of sweaty glovess over a period of time caused it to turn into a serious infection. I remember hearing that if he let it go uncheked, he could have ended up having to have his entire hand amputated.

I found this article with a little blurb about it just as he missed his first game as it was starting to get serious:

http://bettorsreport.com/default.asp...ve/PV77757.htm

Last edited by Muttley*: 02-28-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:35 PM
mini-mite fan

I got this earlier this season. There are several different types of staph infection you can get; mine was one of the more severe {it was oxcicilan-resistant staff, which meant the bug was immune to almost every antibiotic available}. At first it was just this nasty green/yellowish puss under the scab (on my knee from rollerhockey with the kids & didn't have my shinguards on). Then it evolved into one set of my lymphnodes increasing in size to that of a grape then bursting (both painful and disgusting).

I tried to ride it out (I hate going in to the doc unless I absolutely have to) until the whole lymphnode burst issue, then I went to the doctor & they put in a "pick-line" that went in like an I.V. line at the wrist & went up an artery and emptied straight into my heart. I had that in my arm for a week and had to have 1 1/2 hour injections of meds each morning and night for a week and a half.

The doctor & nurses were all freaked out when the lab results came back with the particular type of staph I had. They said that if mine had got to the lungs or heart it could have become life threatening, so they were all like "thank God we caught this early" and stuff. They said the lymph node system acts like a superhighway for the body and while it helps the good stuff travel faster to fight the bad stuff, if the germs & bugs get on it - it lets them travel around the body just as fast.

Biggest thing that suprised me was that they said statistically 1/3rd of the population walks around everyday with one or more of the various staph infection strings on our skin. It is not a threat there; just if we have a cut, in the right spot that allows it to get to our bloodstream. Apparently athletes are at higher risk, as we sweat profusely, contact one another, and where the same equipment over & over without washing it.

Best recommendation: DO NOT F*@( AROUND with this! It can mess you up quick! If you get a cut or deep scrape that gets infected, have it looked at or tested if you can. Whether it's losing a limb or losing life, it ain't worth the risk.

mini-mite fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:32 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Best advice is to air out and dry your equipment. Don't give mold or bacteria a chance to grow in your gear and you won't really have to worry about it. If your gear smells bad, it has bacteria... clean it.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:37 PM
KeydGV21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneCoyote View Post
isnt it a staph infection??

One of the Buffalo guys had one last playoff series i believe.

Yeah Jay McKee inbetween games 6 and 7... apparantly the cut was from the Ottawa series and it just never healed.

KeydGV21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:11 PM
saveourpens

wow, a couple of weeks ago, I had nasty infections on both my ankles, both my knees, behind my knees, some on my thigh, and one on my right thunb. I didn't know it could progress to having your body parts amputated. Pus was puring out of the infections.

Needless to say, I bought some high CCM socks and thin underarmour gloves and it has mostly subsided.

saveourpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:01 PM
MikeD

see if you have a local OZONE cleaning for sports equipment. It kills all those critters and only takes about 30 minutes. Gear is dry when you get it back. Most also then spray on an anti-microbial product.

Mist your gear down after each use....3 parts water to 1 part Isopropyl alcohol.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:10 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Joe Thornton was hospitalized for a staph infection in his elbow caused by his elbow pad few years ago. There's been quite a few cases.

BNHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:24 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Two students from my former high school team recently contracted meningitis, believed to come from bacterias from our rinks locker room and dirty equipment. One was just released from the hospital recently and was initially given minimal chances on living. Make sure you're gear doesn't get too dirty.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:20 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I dry my equipment. So I'm sure its as "clean" as I could get it compared to keeping it in my bad. Here's a question. How do I get the stink out of it?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:42 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I wash my elbow pads, jock and shin pads after every season. After I play each game I spray my elbow pads, shin pads, gloves and pants with anti-microbial Febreze. Try to get new gloves about once a year or when they start to smell regardless of the Febreze and airing out process. Only thing I've wanted to wash but haven't is my ice hockey pants. Will I ruin them if I throw them in on gentle cycle?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I wash my elbow pads, jock and shin pads after every season. After I play each game I spray my elbow pads, shin pads, gloves and pants with anti-microbial Febreze. Try to get new gloves about once a year or when they start to smell regardless of the Febreze and airing out process. Only thing I've wanted to wash but haven't is my ice hockey pants. Will I ruin them if I throw them in on gentle cycle?
I just thought of this so I haven't tried it yet, but what if you someone were to purchase a cheaper version of their equipment for testing. So you buy like a pair of used mini mite sized pants that are comprable to yours. See if washing them hurts and then you will know if it will hurt your pants.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:16 AM
javorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlewis4 View Post
I just thought of this so I haven't tried it yet, but what if you someone were to purchase a cheaper version of their equipment for testing. So you buy like a pair of used mini mite sized pants that are comprable to yours. See if washing them hurts and then you will know if it will hurt your pants.
Geez, I must be a bad mom....it never even occurred to me to wash my kid's hockey pants. If I was going to wash them, though, I'd check for a laundering label. If there wasn't one, I'd probably call the sports store where we bought them for advice.

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 01:26 AM
javorka

So I'm still thinking about this.....if my kids' gear is dry, do the bacteria still stay viable and infectious once the gear is hot and sweaty again? I worry about the kids getting run over by a car, or cracking their heads if they fall off their bikes or the infinate number of other things that might happen to them.....now I have to worry about this, too!?

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 02:33 AM
sticknrink

Quote:

Staphylococcus aureus

Or more commonly known as (and quickly becoming an epidemic in the developed world) 'MRSA'.

I've had it before. ****. NOT. FUN. I'm paranoid about cleanliness now, I never use a towel for more than three showers and everytime I touch my nose I use antibacterial liquid. And everything gets hot washed. Even if it's just a quick pickup game. Definately do not want to deal with that again.

Last edited by sticknrink: 03-05-2007 at 02:39 AM.
sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Goalie_Gal

Quote:
Only thing I've wanted to wash but haven't is my ice hockey pants. Will I ruin them if I throw them in on gentle cycle?
I washed my goalie pants on gentle a couple of times, and they dont seem any worse for the wear.

Goalie_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:32 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
That stuff does work really well. I gotta remember to pick some of that up again. Regular Febreze doesn't do jack.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote