HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NorthWest Division Showdown Round 1: Colorado at Vancouver

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 07:45 PM
SopelFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Dominating would have been a 4 - 0 win. 1 - 1 tie is hardly a domination. We outplayed 'em, yes, but FAR FAR from dominating.

I should add, that perhaps was the best effort by the Canucks all season.
20-6 shot count is domination. I don't care what you call dominating. The third period was domination.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:45 PM
#2FAN

vCash:
When the devils play a game like this it is called boring while this is the best game of the year. A pile of horsecrap IMO. I seen the game and it looked identicle to most devils games. NJ dominates shot total and wins by a goal or ties.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:48 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by #2FAN
When the devils play a game like this it is called boring while this is the best game of the year. A pile of horsecrap IMO. I seen the game and it looked identicle to most devils games. NJ dominates shot total and wins by a goal or ties.
I suggest you lay off the crack.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Vman

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
Son of a *****! Well. The score doesn't settle much, but it looks like the Canucks shelled Aebi. Did either team dominant the other? Any standout players?(other than the goal scorers?) Was the Van Goal a soft one? Thoughts on the game?

I am so bitter about not having Center Ice yet
20 shots by vancouver in the 3rd period..Naslund and Bertuzzi each had 8 shots, Aebischer was awesome, lots of non stop scoring chances by each team in the overtime.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:49 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
I can't believe people are comparing this to a Devils game...

Old
12-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quick question: Any idea what the Hinote penalty was called for? I was watching, and didn't even see the hit, and for some odd reason the Cannuck broadcast didn't show any replay of it (maybe they didn't catch it). I was just wondering how serious it was since he got a 4 minute intent to injure penalty on his former teammate Mike Keane. As for the playcalling in general, I think the goalie interference was an acceptable call. It was a penalty, but it was a really chincy call. This of course is the problem with the NHL officiating......no consistency. They call the chincy calls on the "known offenders", but ignore other obvious infractions. The announcers harped on it all night, but it was amusing to me how once the game was tied up......we saw only 1 penalty despite obvious non-calls from both teams persepective, especially in OT. Great game, though. I try not to let officiating piss me off to much, although it always sneaks its way into the game somehow...

Old
12-11-2003, 07:50 PM
#2FAN

vCash:
Your calling me a crack head, I consider that an insult.

1 - 1 game = boring

Old
12-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
20-6 shot count is domination. I don't care what you call dominating. The third period was domination.
Yes the Cannucks completely owned the Avalanche in the final period, but not in the previous two. They outplayed the Avs for the majority of the game, but the domination really came in the third period. I would say that the PP at the start of the period helped put some jump in the teams step, and Jovo's goal really ignited the team.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:53 PM
#2FAN

vCash:
I can't believe you never seen a Devils game. Funny how most Islanders fans can admit devils hockey isn't boreing but the rest of the leagues fans can't.

You want to see a real clash of the titans watch NJ vs Philly tomorow and Saturday. Fridays game is on tsn.

Old
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Your calling me a crack head, I consider that an insult.

1 - 1 game = boring
No, 1-1 game of neutral zone trap/clutch and grab = boring. 1 - 1 game of end to end action the entire game = good hockey.

Old
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Quick question: Any idea what the Hinote penalty was called for? I was watching, and didn't even see the hit, and for some odd reason the Cannuck broadcast didn't show any replay of it (maybe they didn't catch it). I was just wondering how serious it was since he got a 4 minute intent to injure penalty on his former teammate Mike Keane. As for the playcalling in general, I think the goalie interference was an acceptable call. It was a penalty, but it was a really chincy call. This of course is the problem with the NHL officiating......no consistency. They call the chincy calls on the "known offenders", but ignore other obvious infractions. The announcers harped on it all night, but it was amusing to me how once the game was tied up......we saw only 1 penalty despite obvious non-calls from both teams persepective, especially in OT. Great game, though. I try not to let officiating piss me off to much, although it always sneaks its way into the game somehow...
I believe it was a high stick that cut.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:55 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Apparently it was a high stick that must have drawn blood for the double minor. The Avs broadcast couldn't get a clear shot of it.

For the record comparing that game to a Devils game is as intellectually dishonest as you be about the subject in my opinion. They look nothing a like.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:55 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Haven't read the thread so apologies if I'm repeating earlier comments:

NHL Hockey is alive and well, as evidenced by this game, the NYI/NJD game last night, etc. Sure, still a lot of dull games, but you think Winnipeg v. Hartford, circa 1983, was exciting? :p

Those rushing to get Colorado a new goalie might want to start watching D. Aebischer. If (big if) he continues to play like this through February, Lacroix may very well run the table with him into the playoffs, and understandably so, IMO.

Talent, passion, flow. Could watch games like this all night.

(As for the "Vancouver domination" claims: Dominating puck possession is one thing. Dominating the scoreboard is an entirely different thing. The latter is the only thing that counts.)

Last edited by Trottier: 12-11-2003 at 08:01 PM.
Old
12-11-2003, 07:59 PM
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier

NHL Hockey is alive and well, as evidenced by this game, the NYI/NJD game last night, etc. Sure, still a lot of dull games, but you think Winnipeg v. Pittsburgh, circa 1983, was exciting?

Those rushing to get Colorado a new goalie might want to start watching D. Aebischer. If (big if) he continues to play like this through February, Lacroix may very well run the table with him into the playoffs, and understandably so, IMO.

Could watch games like this all night.
Yes, I certainly have new found respect for Abby after tonight... although the true test, as it is for Clouts, will be in the playoffs. He's certainly a far cry than the goalie that the Canucks lit up in recent years. He almost looked like Roy in this game.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:00 PM
st_roland

Its good to be an aves fan or a canucks fan, thats all I have to say. The 3 or 4 aves games i've been able to catch this season have all been exciting. I'm just trying to enjoying it while it lasts, and am praying that cooler heads prevail and prevent the work stoppage next season. Hockey is too great to go down like that.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Thalia

Quote:

NHL Hockey is alive and well, as evidenced by this game, the NYI/NJD game last night, etc. Sure, still a lot of dull games, but you think Winnipeg v. Pittsburgh, circa 1983, was exciting?

(As for the "Vancouver domination" claims: Dominating puck possession is one thing. Dominating the scoreboard is an entirely different thing. The latter is the only thing that counts.)
I take it then that you're an Avs' fan?

Old
12-11-2003, 08:02 PM
#2FAN

vCash:
What????? He is a Isles fan and a respected one at that.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Mizral

Through the first half of the game, I wasn't happy with the officiating, but I'm happy with it after it all ended. Yes, the Canucks probobly should have (in my books at least) won this one 2 - 1, as I felt the Keane penalty was not a good call at all, but I do understand it is borderline, so whatever.

I felt the refs did sort of job the Canucks through the first two periods (not majorly), but then later on in the game, they called Foote when many other refs would have let him get away with it. They also didn't call Morrison on the accidental hit on Blake, or the Jovo hit with the player that didn't have the puck. So the 'even up' calls and non-calls ended up working out.

As for the game. Some notes for the Avs first:

The top line was absolutely invisable outside of Sakic. Hejduk was nothing, Tanguay little more, but Sakic put on a show for about 5 shifts. I think the Canucks checking line really got to them. In particular, Arvedson had a whale of a game defensive, as did Chubarov. The defense was really nice, though I thought they weren't very active offensivly after the Blake goal.

I thought the Worrel/Brigley/??? line was largely ineffective the whole night. In fact, I thought the best line was the one with Selanne. I didn't even notice any other Avs forwards. Boy do you guys miss Kariya and Forsberg. Naturally.

Aebischer was the story of the night. Pretty stunning game. Bertuzzi was all over him time and time again, but credit to David, he held firm. I still don't think he's a playoff goalie, nor a guy who will be great to have in their later on down the stretch, but right now he's getting the job done so who's to complain?

As for the Canucks:

Top to bottom, pretty excellent games. Standout performances by Bertuzzi, Naslund, Jovanovski, and I also though Sami Salo was the unsung hero tonight. Salo matched up against the Sakic line, and really made life difficult on, in particular, Milan Hejduk. Other players who had really good games were Chubarov, Arvedson, Linden, Keane, and Brent Sopel, whom was masterful at keeping the puck in the offensive zone tonight. Sopel I thought played one of his better games of the year, in fact. If we could get more games like this out of him, he'd be a #3 defenseman in this league.

As for Auld, he was really shakey handling the puck and even at one time missed gloving the puck. However, in terms of pure keeping the puck out of the net, he was quite good. I don't think he's as good as Hedberg yet mind you, but there is clearly a lot of potential to work with (read: Size & positioning). Plays a LOT like Olaf Kolzig.

I noticed three times this evening, the Avs were caught with either the wrong defensive pairing or forward matchup on the ice versus the Canucks big line though. Granato was outcoached tonight. Away game or not, guys like Burns get away with getting their matchups, or at least close to it, more often than not. But putting Skoula out there versus Bertuzzi was one of the dumbest moves I've seen yet this season by a coach.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:04 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:

NHL Hockey is alive and well, as evidenced by this game, the NYI/NJD game last night, etc. Sure, still a lot of dull games, but you think Winnipeg v. Hartford, circa 1983, was exciting? :p

Yeah I meant the former. It was nice to see after the Canucks didn't look great for awhile.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:09 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
I take it then that you're an Avs' fan?
The name doesn't give away my allegiance?

Actually a fan of good hockey and good story lines.

If you are offended by a compliment toward D. Aebischer, can't help you. Just basing opinion on what I've seen so far (and it's only December, admittedly) this year.

As for the "domination" rebuttal: Yes, Vancouver dominated play, especially in the third. So what? They don't give out points or award Cups for style. They give it for finding a way to win (or, in this case, not to lose). Works exactly the same for both teams. No need to take offense. Wasn't meaning to incite, just observing. Besides, it's a long way from here to April. :p

Ps - Mizral, you make a good point about Auld. Just the fact that Vancouver could have easily won this game with their #3 goalie in net speaks volumes of where this team is. As noted, Kariya, Forsberg, etc. were out, but still a good barometer of the Canucks, IMO. As for Aebischer in the playoffs. One is 100% correct to state he is not a proven playoff goalie. That said, he is not a proven playoff flop either! He simply is totally unproven, untested. (Cleanup work in Game 7 v. Detroit in '02 doens't qualify as playoff experience!) Looking at things as objectively as possible (and you know I love veteran experience come playoff time), I really have a hard time naming many goalies I'd clearly want head and shoulders above him come playoff time if I were Colorado. That is, to the extent that I'd gut the team of major talent to obtain. After all, who among current NHL goalies are proven playoff winners? Hasek, Brodeur, Belfour, and (yes) Osgood. Not getting any of them.

Last edited by Trottier: 12-11-2003 at 08:22 PM.
Old
12-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'd also like to add that Todd Bertuzzi has the ability of taking over a game that Markus Naslund will never be able to match. At least you have the best player signed long term Nuck fans....

Old
Mizral

Quote:
Yes the Cannucks completely owned the Avalanche in the final period, but not in the previous two. They outplayed the Avs for the majority of the game, but the domination really came in the third period. I would say that the PP at the start of the period helped put some jump in the teams step, and Jovo's goal really ignited the team.
I'd say the momentum shift was clearly the killing of three consecutive Avs powerplays.

Old
#2FAN

vCash:
Then you arn't a real hockey fan then, defensive hockey is some of the best hockey to watch. You see great coaches match lines, you see timely goaltending, and lots of good hits. You don't see people complaining about Montreal or Calgary hockey which both trap the hell out of the other team just NJ has allways had a bad rap even when they were scoring close to 300 goals in 2000.

Refering to Enoch

Old
Mizral

Quote:
I'd also like to add that Todd Bertuzzi has the ability of taking over a game that Markus Naslund will never be able to match. At least you have the best player signed long term Nuck fans....
You apperantly missed the game before the Avs game. Naslund had 4 goals

Old
12-11-2003, 08:13 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
As for the "domination" rebuttal: Yes, Vancouver dominated play, especially in the third. So what? They don't give out points or award Cups for style. They give it for finding a way to win (or, in this case, not to lose). Works exactly the same for both teams. No need to take offense. Wasn't meaning to incite, just observing. Besides, it's a long way from here to April. :p
Well, to see the Canucks dominate puck possession was enough for me. The last while the Canucks haven't been great, so it was nice to do that to the Avs.

Closed Thread