HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lowe did the right thing.

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 07:38 AM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Lowe did the right thing.

A synopsis of the events.

1) Comrie breaks his hand, after coming back he doesn't play very well and is invisible in the playoffs and Lowe singles out him and a few others for criticism.

2) Comrie rumoured not to like the criticism phones Lowe and tries to meet with him. Lowe refused to meet with Comrie when he wants to be met with. Comrie demands a trade and then according to John Short rescinds it.

3) Lowe sends a qualifying offer to Comrie and says that he hasn't played like a number one centre or something to that effect. Comrie gets insulted again and demands a trade. Also according to some printed reports Comrie demands four million from the Oilers but hints he would play for less elsewhere.

4) Comrie decides to play in training camp. This is for completely selfish reasons. He has already demanded a trade but if he plays in training camp two things will happen. 1) He has a good camp and Oiler fans put on the pressure on Lowe to sign him (just like when he came to training camp when he was a rookie dazzled and then ran off to Kootenay) 2) The extra pressure on Lowe gets a trade done quickly.

5) Lowe obviously sees the two options and doesn't really see any benefit to the Oilers and refuses to let Comrie come to camp.

6) Winter and Comrie set a gag order on talking to the media which they break whenever it benefits them. The first time this happens is when they are not happy with the time this is taking and say they will sign for a "buck and a puck" if Lowe trades Comrie right away.

7) Lowe works out some deals, according to published reports the teams are the Islanders and Washington. Comrie is obviously not as desperate to play as he let on earlier and he nixes those deals and tells Lowe that he wants to play in Anaheim because he loves Mickey Mouse ears.

8) Murray now knows he is the only trading partner so he now has the upper hand so refuses to give any roster players for Comrie (perhaps Lowe asks Murray for some cash and he refuses). Murray offers Perry and a first round pick.

9) Lowe really doesn't like the deal but tells Murray to work out a deal with Comrie but before the deal is final he gets to talk to Comrie.

10) Murray feels great he gets Comrie for 1.5 million and didn't have to give up much. Already has Comrie pegged to play as second line centre (see point three for some irony).

11) Lowe asks Comrie for 2.5 million or so to complete the deal.

12) Comrie and Winter who thought they had got the last laugh now again break the vow of silence and whine to their mouthpiece Brownlee.

13) Lowe knows that Comrie will refuse and this will break the Anaheim deal. He is now free to suddenly negotiate with the six teams that have called. Comrie will either take one of these deals or he will sit but Lowe will not have taken a sub-standard deal because Comrie decided Anaheim was the only place he would play.

Smart move by Lowe, go ahead wear the black hat Kevin. As I am an Oiler fan I really didn't like the return that both Murray and Comrie were trying to force upon you. Good for you on finding a creative way to get out of it.

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 12-11-2003 at 07:41 AM.
Old
12-11-2003, 07:52 AM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
A synopsis of the events.
Looks like a good recap, but I'd start it earlier with the initial draft and contract, which add another dimension to this context.

I'm repeating myself here, but Lowe isn't wearing a black hat by expecting full value for a return on Comrie. Do any of you expect less than fair value when you buy a car, sell your house, or go out for dinner? If you can negotiate full value for your assets you're not some dark & sinister presence, you're just an ordinary player in the market system. All this talk about Lowe having no class is baffling.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:00 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Looks like a good recap, but I'd start it earlier with the initial draft and contract, which add another dimension to this context.

I'm repeating myself here, but Lowe isn't wearing a black hat by expecting full value for a return on Comrie. Do any of you expect less than fair value when you buy a car, sell your house, or go out for dinner? If you can negotiate full value for your assets you're not some dark & sinister presence, you're just an ordinary player in the market system. All this talk about Lowe having no class is baffling.
This might be spinning, but I believe that Lowe did Comrie a courtesy. Clearly, the return for Comrie was not fair value, and that Lowe was not going to go for it. However, Lowe knew tha Comrie wanted to play for the Ducks, so he gave Comrie the option of making it happen. Hardly extortion. It's not like Lowe asked Comrie to sleep with him. He was trying to find an innovative solution that would address the concerns of all parties. If Comrie didn't like the deal, then he didn't have to take it, and he would be exactly where he would be if the deal was never offered.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:06 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo

I don't think he wears a black hat either but if that is the way he is perceived I really don't care.

He did what is best for the Edmonton Oilers and that is his job.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:36 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
I don't think he wears a black hat either but if that is the way he is perceived I really don't care.

What does bug me though is when I read Terry Jones or some of the other hacks in the media that paint Comrie as a victim and call Lowe out as some evil guy with a personal mission against the kid.

Lowe is doing and mandated to do what he feels is best for this team... not Mike Comrie... and these hacks should be appreciative of the fact he his simply trying to get fair return that will benefit the team and continue to give these guys a reason to stay employed.

If Lowe was out to only pay favours to every malcontent that wanted out of the city then the team may as well fold right now and these guys can move onto a career as Ann Landers response columnists.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:36 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
have to agree with you all on this one. he did what he felt was best for the team. honestly how does it make sense to give up a roster player for two guys who arent even close to being in the nhl. we can wait till the draft to get a better deal or even a higher draft pick. i get the perception from a lot of you, you would not be happy with the present deal. lowe obviously wasnt either and he asked for more, good for him. so what if he apparently if wearing a black hat, i support him. lowe feels comrie needs to be taught a lesson, good because nobody else will.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:40 AM
hockeyaddict101

It really was a no win wasn't it

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
What does bug me though is when I read Terry Jones or some of the other hacks in the media that paint Comrie as a victim and call Lowe out as some evil guy with a personal mission against the kid.

Lowe is doing and mandated to do what he feels is best for this team... not Mike Comrie... and these hacks should be appreciative of the fact he his simply trying to get fair return that will benefit the team and continue to give these guys a reason to stay employed.

If Lowe was out to only pay favours to every malcontent that wanted out of the city then the team may as well fold right now and these guys can move onto a career as Ann Landers response columnists.
If Lowe would have accepted that trade. Perry and a 1st round pick for Comrie.

Terry Jones would have wrote a column about how Lowe was robbed. Lowe was damned if he did or damned if he didn't in the press.

The Sun has presented it's spin but some of us aren't buying it. Mostly because we are all smart enough to see the whole picture.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:54 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
If Lowe would have accepted that trade. Perry and a 1st round pick for Comrie.

Terry Jones would have wrote a column about how Lowe was robbed. Lowe was damned if he did or damned if he didn't in the press.

The Sun has presented it's spin but some of us aren't buying it. Mostly because we are all smart enough to see the whole picture.
Of course Jones would have crucified Lowe and as for who's buying who's spin, the fact is that for general consumption Jones and his cronies speak to the masses and in many cases influence them.

Once a couple articles circulate, then perception gets formed. Case in point is on Spectors trade site they quote Jones and Fat Bob Mackenzie and reiterate that Lowe is looking foolish because these two guys are saying so. And yet I think with both of them, they totally missed the big picture on what transpired yesterday.

Unfortunately it's just going to get worse for Lowe and ironically if Lowe gets good return for Comrie then two years down the road these same clowns will be singing Lowes praise and looking back at this as a shrewd move.

Couldn't stand Jones before and can't stand him even more now.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:59 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Of course Jones would have crucified Lowe and as for who's buying who's spin, the fact is that for general consumption Jones and his cronies speak to the masses and in many cases influence them.

Unfortunately it's just going to get worse for Lowe and ironically if Lowe gets good return for Comrie then two years down the road these same clowns will be singing Lowes praise and looking back at this as a shrewd move.

Couldn't stand Jones before and can't stand him even more now.
Yep but IMO Lowe has to stand firm. He works for the Edmonton Oilers and the perception a few reporters shoudn't matter. Especially since reporters like Jones only spinned it from one angle.

Really it only matters what fans in Edmonton think and I think most see the big picture.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:06 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:

He does wear a white hat. He only takes it off when he knows he's going to get **** on his boots.

He's not going to settle for less than what he thinks our asset is worth. And by thinking outside the box, he basically got to tell MC, "If you want to bend me over again, it's gonna cost ya $2.5 mill."

And it looks like Winter's 'leaked info' may have played right into KLo's hand and generated real interest from other GMs.

It's all rather hilarious, actually. (especially the reactions)

imo - you have a good read on the situation spaz44.

This looks like another one of those dreaded yeah Kev threads.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Digger12

I am in full support of what Lowe did. It is not malice, or any vindictiveness on his part. If anything, he is being very cool and calculating and showing just how stubborn he can be when he is pushed.

I have met and talked to him in person at some conferences, and in my honest opinion he is a good and decent man...but I also got the feeling from him he is not a guy that you screw with. He is also a fast learner, he is NOT a stupid or ignorant man.

He's obviously made mistakes in the past, and he is not without his flaws (*looks at the coaching staff and wonders why*). He is learning though, faster than maybe Winter had counted on.

The fact that the local papers blasted him on this was hardly a surprise; sensationalism sells and painting Lowe as the NHL version of Al Capone is a lot easier and more of a moneymaker than objectively looking at this from an asset management perspective.

It is a 'dirty' move, but as another poster said, Comrie dragged this into the mud long before this moment. Lowe just decided to join him, something Winter/Comrie didn't count on.

I'm predicting that Comrie's list of teams he'd be willing to be traded to got a tad bigger in the last 24 hours.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:15 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

very good points digger as usual. comrie and winter showed their cards and lowe beat them with a full house. i get the impression he is not a man you want to screw with.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:19 AM
elphy101

Lowe is being a jackass. Without a doubt. What other teams fans don't understand is the hatred Oilers fans have for Comrie. In Edmonton, Lowe can basically do whatever he wants to Comrie and he will be supported.

Comrie deserves everything he gets. He has been a ***** to the Oilers since the day they drafted him. Constantly trying to squeeze more money out of the organization. I would have loved to see Comrie's face when Lowe asked him for the money. In regards to Comrie, what goes around comes around.

In regards to the trade, I actually think it was a solid offer for Comrie however if all Lowe is getting is prospects why not just wait till the offseason. You could almost certainly get a similar deal come draft day. Plus this way Comrie gets to sit for even longer, which will make Oil fans that much happier. Heck, when this is over, Comrie might be wishing he had paid the 2.5 Million.

From another angle, now that some other teams know that Comrie will sign a reasonable deal (2 years at 1.65/year), interest has picked up. Lowe has been contacted by 8 teams since the blowup on tuesday.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

While I'll always commend Lowe for getting by every year on a shoestring budget, I can't help but think he should have pulled thr trigger on a deal sooner. The Comrie thing not only left the team incomplete going into this season, but I think it's serving as a distraction to the team as well. Understandably, Comrie's not exactly expediting matters...

But as far as a trade goes, Lowe should be trying to get Bryzgalov (sp?), not this other kid. While Conklin has been decent, I don't think he's a franchise goaltender, and I'm not convinced DesLauriers is either. Ilya is a very highly touted goaltending prospect who could possibly play as early as next season. Perhaps it would require the Oilers throwing in something else to sweeten the deal, but it'd be worth it.

On another note, Brewer and Bergeron just aren't generating enough offense from the blueline. Niclas Havelid has regressed since the Ducks acquired Ozolinsh. Judging from the multiple times he killed my Avs last season, he does well when he's The Man rather than a back-up power play QB. Could a separate deal be worked out for him as well?

Last edited by Av-merican: 12-11-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old
12-11-2003, 09:44 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
While I'll always commend Lowe for getting by every year on a shoestring budget, I can't help but think he should have pulled thr trigger on a deal sooner.

That is a good point and it's the one thing that I can't really figure out.

Not trading him at the beginning of the year, because who really knows what the real break point was. Did Lowe know a trade was imminent in August, October, November.... you guys get it I'm sure

But what I don't really understand is that Anaheim obviously wasn't giving fair value so why even entertain the offer right now. Why not wait till the draft or deadline when the market will most likely offer more?

I wonder if there is some outside pressure going on here? Not trying to be too speculative but does Bill Comrie have some pull with the Oilers and was he perhaps pushing to get this thing handled sooner rather than later for Mikey's benefit?

Old
12-11-2003, 09:51 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
very good points digger as usual. comrie and winter showed their cards and lowe beat them with a full house. i get the impression he is not a man you want to screw with.
A very apt analogy - Winter and MC have indeed shown what they want - and if they want it bad enough they can bloody well pay for it. That's KLowes right if MC wants the oilers to part with their property rights over his ability to play pro hockey in N America.

I actually love this strategy going into the cba negotiations - KLowe has properly identified a situation where the players have been acting like greedy little trollops - running from one sugar daddy to the next (owners/gms) to make their little dreams come true and pay their way. It's about time someone stood up and pointed out that it this is not a sound business practice and players carry some financial baggage if they act in a way that lowers their value to the team.

I am in favour of this approach because MC has placed restrictions on where his rights will be dealt (the Doug Weight effect). This lowers the value of his rights and it is ONLY FAIR that the person responsible for lowering the value of Oiler property provide compensation. It's not complicated people. On the other hand - if MC created no such limitations on where he would be traded then I would not be in favour of this strategy - that would be acting in bad faith.

Basically Comrie thinks he can do whatever the **** he wants and someone will always be there to pick up the tab. That's not the way the world works and KLowe was simply acting in a prudent manner that is in the best financial interests of the Edmonton Oilers. If Jones or Brownlee can't see that then they have their heads so far up Winter's nether regions that they are tickling his tonsils.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:03 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
That is a good point and it's the one thing that I can't really figure out.

Not trading him at the beginning of the year, because who really knows what the real break point was. Did Lowe know a trade was imminent in August, October, November.... you guys get it I'm sure

But what I don't really understand is that Anaheim obviously wasn't giving fair value so why even entertain the offer right now. Why not wait till the draft or deadline when the market will most likely offer more?

I wonder if there is some outside pressure going on here? Not trying to be too speculative but does Bill Comrie have some pull with the Oilers and was he perhaps pushing to get this thing handled sooner rather than later for Mikey's benefit?
Comrie's value in training camp was nothing. If you are a GM, you let who you have prove they can't get the job done before you bring in outside help. Why trade for a guy when you might have someone just as capable in your system?

Lowe needed teams to struggle and falter before Comrie's true value was apparant. The fact that Comrie will only go to certain teams certainly hurts, but I would doubt that in September the Ducks felt they needed Comrie.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:13 AM
barto

Yeah, it's too bad some columnists have such a tainted view (or cynical, knowing they'd sell more papers this way) that they can't see the beauty of this whole scenario.

My respect for Lowe has definitely INCREASED, and I want a guy in his position to be tough and shrewd enough to stand up for what's best for the team. And we can probably all agree that Lowe *does* have what's best for the team at the top of his agenda....both now AND the future. And we've all been carping on how Lowe needs to be very careful how he handles this Comrie trade thing, as he's losing a pretty valuable asset and needs to get full value back. So far he's not getting full value back, so Comrie being asked to make up some of that value is *perfect*.

Gotta love it. Plus it takes our mind off the crappy play on the ice of late... <sigh>

Bart

Old
12-11-2003, 10:13 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

exactly dawgbone, could not agree more. the way i see the current situation if all we can get is draft picks do you think it is better to let him sit and wait till the draft, perhaps his value will be higher then?

Old
12-11-2003, 10:17 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

on a sidenote, i finally have high speed internet service so i finally am able to keep up with you guys and with the modern world.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:18 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Comrie deserves everything he gets. He has been a ***** to the Oilers since the day they drafted him. Constantly trying to squeeze more money out of the organization. I would have loved to see Comrie's face when Lowe asked him for the money. In regards to Comrie, what goes around comes around.
Do you think he cried? In my mind he did.

Quote:
From another angle, now that some other teams know that Comrie will sign a reasonable deal (2 years at 1.65/year), interest has picked up. Lowe has been contacted by 8 teams since the blowup on tuesday.
I thought of this too. Now everybody knows how much Comrie's willing to play for.

- If it now comes out that Comrie wanted more from Edmonton... Lowe wins
- If Comrie can't agree to terms with other teams... Lowe wins

Old
12-11-2003, 10:24 AM
SunshinesDad

I am not sure Spazz

Quote:
Yep but IMO Lowe has to stand firm. He works for the Edmonton Oilers and the perception a few reporters shoudn't matter. Especially since reporters like Jones only spinned it from one angle.

Really it only matters what fans in Edmonton think and I think most see the big picture.
I like what Lowe did too but based on calls to the sports shows and comments from media people and posts on this and other boards the opinion seems to be sliding towards Comrie more.

We still might have the majority on Lowe's side but there are a lot more thinking about it now I think.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:30 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinesDad
I like what Lowe did too but based on calls to the sports shows and comments from media people and posts on this and other boards the opinion seems to be sliding towards Comrie more.

We still might have the majority on Lowe's side but there are a lot more thinking about it now I think.
I think the neutrals are moving to Lowe's side, but alot of comrie haters (the majority) are in love with this move. I think it'll be intresting to see which trend has a greater affect.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:32 AM
SunshinesDad

Quote:
Irelands column said 6 teams did contact Lowe did you here or read somewhere else that said 8 teams? Just curious.

Old
12-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinesDad
I don't think opinion is sliding toward Comrie as much as it is sliding away from both. I haven't seen any posts here saying Comrie is the victim in all this, most admit that his camp has been throwing rocks from the start -- it's more that people see it as Lowe starting to throw rocks of his own now.

Closed Thread