HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Three prospects to play in World Cup, Steen, X & X?

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 06:46 AM
Predatore

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Three prospects to play in World Cup, Steen, X & X?

Okay, since it has been decided that 3 players must be under the age of 22 on the World Cup roster I wonder who you guys think will make the team?

Alexander Steen is an obvious lock, but two more spots must be filled.

LIKELY
Tobias Enström
Jens Karlsson
Fredrik Sjöström

PERHAPS
Johan Fransson
Robert Nilsson
Yared Hagos
Andreas Jämtin

Definitely not many players to chose from...

Old
12-11-2003, 06:59 AM
leafaholix*

I love the new rule.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Rediscoveryx

Where is the cut-off date? If players born in 1982 will be eligble for U-22 status then Henrik Lundqvist could very possibly be chosen as a third goaltender in order to "get rid off" one of the under 22 positions. Steen is given unless he gets injured, but apart from Alexander, it's pretty much wide open IMHO

Old
12-11-2003, 07:43 AM
Predatore

Players that are born late in 1982 are eligible. (they can't be 22 years old when the tournament starts).
Therefore Henrik Lundqvist will not count.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

A few defensmen could be considered, like Skoog, Enström & Fransson. How about Fernholm? I think he has been solid, and he is big and mobile.

At forward, Hagos, Nilsson & Eriksson could be candidates. Any more ideas?

Old
12-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Rediscoveryx

Unfortunately, Sweden will lose a lot on this rule, as they almost certainly wouldn't nominate any u-22 players in the tournament otherwise. Whoever they nominate won't get much ice time I'm afraid. Compare this to teams like Russia (Kovalchuk), Canada (Bouwmeester) and Slovakia? (Gaborik?).

Old
12-11-2003, 11:09 AM
Predatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediscoveryx
Unfortunately, Sweden will lose a lot on this rule, as they almost certainly wouldn't nominate any u-22 players in the tournament otherwise. Whoever they nominate won't get much ice time I'm afraid. Compare this to teams like Russia (Kovalchuk), Canada (Bouwmeester) and Slovakia? (Gaborik?).
agreed.
just a wild guess...

CANADA
Rick Nash
Jay Bouwmeester
Marc-André Fleury

RUSSIA
Ilya Kovalchuk
Stanislav Chistov
Alexander Ovechkin

CZECH REPUBLIC
Ales Hemsky
Jiri Hudler
Milan Michalek

SLOVAKIA
Igor Pohanka?
?
?

FINLAND
Kari Lehtonen
Tuomo Ruutu
Joni Pitkänen

USA
Zach Parise
Dan Fritsche
Ryan Whitney

SWEDEN
Alexander Steen
Tobias Enström
Fredrik Sjöström

Old
12-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Rediscoveryx

Most teams will nominate atleast one U-22 goaltender, as they don't even have to dress that guy at all during the tournament unless one of the two other goaltenders gets injured. This way they only have to nominate two U-22 players to actually play for the team.

Old
12-11-2003, 02:43 PM
Predatore

true, but a lot of teams with the exception Sweden, Slovakia and perhaps USA have 3 U22 players that are basically good enough to see ice-time in the World Cup, at least on the 4th-line or so.

I wonder what Swedish goalie would be selected if Hardy decides to nominate one..
Magnus Åkerlund (that would be cool)
Christopher Nilstorp
Joakim Lundström
Christopher Heino-Lindberg
Daniel Sperrle

Old
12-11-2003, 09:38 PM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
I think it's a nice rule although Sweden perhaps won't benefit from it. At the moment I think Steen, Sjöström and Fransson are the ones I would like to see in the roster.

Old
12-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiza
I think it's a nice rule although Sweden perhaps won't benefit from it. At the moment I think Steen, Sjöström and Fransson are the ones I would like to see in the roster.
I'd like to add Hagos and Enström to that list, even though Enström is a bit small, he's still more experienced than Fransson.

Hey is it time to start a real World Cup thread yet?

Old
12-14-2003, 11:47 AM
PhoPhan

Goooooooooo Sjostrom!!

Old
12-14-2003, 11:59 AM
Predatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
Hey is it time to start a real World Cup thread yet?
ah what the heck, I'll start one! it's the biggest hockey event of next year after all.

Old
12-14-2003, 10:35 PM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Goooooooooo Sjostrom!!
I was thrilled to here that he scored his first NHL goal!!

Old
12-18-2003, 10:34 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
A few defensmen could be considered, like Skoog, Enström & Fransson. How about Fernholm? I think he has been solid, and he is big and mobile.

At forward, Hagos, Nilsson & Eriksson could be candidates. Any more ideas?

Speaking of Dmen ...why not big Staffan Kronwall, for his ability to move power forwards from the net..

and I would think Johannes Salmonsson might get some consideration NO??

Old
12-18-2003, 10:45 AM
Predatore

The Messenger,
I'm not sure about Kronwall. I think he has his birthday just around when the tournament starts which would not make him eligible. If he is eligible he should definitely be a candidate.

Salmonsson might get some consideration but the other forwards mentioned in this thread are at the moment much more experienced and yes, better, players than Salmonsson. But who knows, this kid is improving for each game...

Old
12-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
agreed.
just a wild guess...

CANADA
Rick Nash
Jay Bouwmeester
Marc-André Fleury

I would say you have the first 2 right and the third one would be Jason Spezza instead of Fleury..as Brodeur will play every minute if possible and Fleury would just watch if taken..

and do you really think that Sweden will take little Tobias Enström???

Old
12-18-2003, 10:54 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
The Messenger,
I'm not sure about Kronwall. I think he has his birthday just around when the tournament starts which would not make him eligible. If he is eligible he should definitely be a candidate.

Salmonsson might get some consideration but the other forwards mentioned in this thread are at the moment much more experienced and yes, better, players than Salmonsson. But who knows, this kid is improving for each game...
Judging from your board Kronwall 1982-09-10 .. When is the exact date of the tourney and I think if he has a birthday during the tourney that might be acceptable...Because its not like a Olympic event that needs to be too closley governed by rules...as its just suposed to get some young players exposure..

Old
12-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Predatore

Isn't that the point also Messenger? If they chose Fleury they have him sitting in the standings and therefore they only have to play 2 of their 3 U22-players?

As for Tobias Enström? Well, he is basically the only eligible U22-defenseman that has played with the Swedish national team before. So he has some experience from international play.
Also, he might be rather smallish but is in no way soft and has very good balance on the ice. So he is not very easy to push around.

Still I'd hope the Swedish coach selects Steen and Sjöström and then gives the third spot to a goalie (that will not play in the tournament, anyway).
This rule only hurts Sweden so the less U22-players that actually play, the better for Sweden.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:59 AM
Predatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Judging from your board Kronwall 1982-09-10 .. When is the exact date of the tourney and I think if he has a birthday during the tourney that might be acceptable.
I checked. Sweden plays Germany September, 1st. That's 9 days prior to Kronwall's birthday so if it is okay that he'll be 22 during the tournament he'll be eligible.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:12 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Isn't that the point also Messenger? If they chose Fleury they have him sitting in the standings and therefore they only have to play 2 of their 3 U22-players?

As for Tobias Enström? Well, he is basically the only eligible U22-defenseman that has played with the Swedish national team before. So he has some experience from international play.
Also, he might be rather smallish but is in no way soft and has very good balance on the ice. So he is not very easy to push around.

Still I'd hope the Swedish coach selects Steen and Sjöström and then gives the third spot to a goalie (that will not play in the tournament, anyway).

This rule only hurts Sweden so the less U22-players that actually play, the better for Sweden.
That last line is somewhat sad from such a proud Hockey nation..that if you take young players it hurts Sweden, where are the days for Forsberg, Lidstrom, Sundin and Naslund??

I think Canada would think differently than say Sweden and the emphasis would not be on hiding/not playing but actually giving these kids a chance.... Jason Spezza like Enstrom also has lots of WJC and international experience as played on Team Canada WJC since he was 16..and he does play regularly in the NHL ...so could hold his own in this tourney..and he is currently 4th in scoring on a very strong Ottawa team.. but that is just my opinion..

In regards to the Canada goalies.. I think Brodeur is a LOCK...and then they will take another Vet ..like Belfour as the 1 & 2 and then the third goalie may be a younger player like Theodore in Montreal, Luongo in Forida or JS Giguere in ANAHIEM ..to give them international exposure for future Olympics, World Cups etc..

and speaking of goalies is/will Mikael Tellqvist the starter or SALO ??

Old
12-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Predatore

Quote:
That last line is somewhat sad from such a proud Hockey nation..that if you take young players it hurts Sweden,

and speaking of goalies is/will Mikael Tellqvist the starter or SALO ??
It's nice with young players but when they are not good enough what can you do? If Sweden wants to win, would the chance be bigger with an average ( or slightly above average) SEL defenseman like Tobias Enström or Staffan Kronwall than with an established NHLer like Marcus Ragnarsson, Niclas Hävelid or Dick Tärnström?

I wish we had more talented U22 players but since they 82's we haven't produced a lot of good prospects (Alexander Steen and a couple of other players being obvious exceptions).

As for the goalie question, I would personally be upset if Mikael Tellqvist will not start for Sweden. In my book he is already a much better goalie than Tommy Salo. In fact I almost question if the goalies we have at home (Stefan Liv & Henrik Lundqvist) aren't better or at least on par with Salo.
Salo does however bring one very important thing to the table and that is experience.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's nice with young players but when they are not good enough what can you do? If Sweden wants to win, would the chance be bigger with an average ( or slightly above average) SEL defenseman like Tobias Enström or Staffan Kronwall than with an established NHLer like Marcus Ragnarsson, Niclas Hävelid or Dick Tärnström?.
Would Sweden chances improve that much with one of those 3 instead of a youngster as the 7th dman???

You have to also consider that other nations have to play by the same 3 U22 rule and that forces Canada and USA and others to leave SOLID dman at home in order to play Bouwmeester and Ryan Whitney?? and I would think that 7th best Dman in say Canada ..be it Adam Foote or Ed Jovonovski or Eric Brewer or whoever is the player not taken so Bouwmeester can play would be stronger the Ragnarsson ?? and that would then help Sweden more than hinder them..

That's just sort of a GLASS 1/2 full verses 1/2 EMPTY arguement and not meant to offend or belittle the 3 Swedish dmen you mentioned..

Old
12-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Predatore

Quote:
Would Sweden chances improve that much with one of those 3 instead of a youngster as the 7th dman???
well, it could hurt Sweden's chances if they would actually need to play the 7th dman.
If someone gets injured, which is not unlikely, Sweden would have to play a defenseman that wouldn't even make the Swedish WC-team against the best players in the world.

I'm personally excited about this rule as I think it is a great way for our young prospects to get international experience and definitely a big confidence boost for them.

But if I was the coach for Sweden I would be more worried about this rule than if I for example would be if I was team Canada's or Russia's coach.
If I was to coach the latter two I'd still know that I would get high-calibre players (despite leaving a few better ones at home) but if I was Sweden's coach I'd know I get 2-3 players that would probably not even make a Swedish WC-squad without any NHL pro's on it.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Also, he might be rather smallish but is in no way soft and has very good balance on the ice. So he is not very easy to push around..
That might be very true..but do you think with his size that he will be able to move Todd Bertuzzi or Joe Thornton or Jerome Iginla from in front of Mikael Tellqvist????

That is why I suggest the Kronwall or Johan Fransson or Daniel Fernholm might be better choices?? Where they will be more useful as crease clearers and they can leave the point production up to Lidstrom and Ohlund and Company.. Would Enström generate a lot of offense in a tourney like this ??

Last edited by Mess: 12-18-2003 at 11:52 AM.
Closed Thread