HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden meets with Murray for confidence issues

Old
03-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
I think it is interesting how I have gone from being neutral about Redden to becoming his biggest champion, lol. Funny, I started liking the Sens for one reason...Spezza. I love watching that boy play. Then, last year I became enthralled with the talent of Emery, when all of you were showing him NO LOVE...YES YOU, you all know who you are.

Redden won my heart last year at the playoffs with the way he played through what had to be immeasurable grief and sorrow and carried the Sens through the Tampa series. Since then, having become so many Sens fans' whipping boy, I have really grown to appreciate what a talent he is.

So Billpo, at the risk of sounding redundent, here it all is again, in point form:

1. Leads the Sens in ice time.

2. The best first pass maker in the game, period. full stop.

3. Power-play quarterback.

4. His overall influence on his teammate is greatly undervalued. He gives them both
confidence, and a sense of calmness. He is highly valued and regarded by all his
teammates.

5. He has high value to the franchaise both on and off the ice. He is a NHL
superstar, an Allstar, and Olympian, and World Champion. He not only draws
people to the arena, but off ice he is argueably the Sen's most visable player at
charity events and community functions.

6. He has been a consistent performer since playing in the juniors. If you look at his
career stats, they have been steady and incredible year after year even as a
rookie or before his NHL days. Compare that to a player like Chara who developed
into the star he is today....Redden was born a star player, his talent is inate.

When Redden came back into the lineup after being injured the PP went from being ranked 29th to 16th and the turnover rate in the defensive zone drastically decreased.

He might not be fancy, he might not be flashy, he isn't intimidating like Chara, he isn't spectacular like Bobby Orr, but he is a key reason why the Sens win hockey games. He is cerebral player with true vision on the ice, and is widely considered to be one of the smartest players in the NHL.

Redden can have a downswing, he can even have a bad year, but the Sens will always be a better team for having him in the lineup.

I would like to add that there is a reason why CHEO has a wall painted of him in his honour in the Max Keeping Wing...it's right beside the physiotherapy department. Redden, Eaves, Fisher and Volchenkov are regular visitors to Roger's House. There is no way you can replace that, nevermind his obvious skill on-ice.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:43 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
Did I not say a couple of shifts?

Are you trying to hurt my feelings? because if you haven't figured it out yet, I couldn't give a RATS *** what you think of my credibility. You don't like it, don't read it. I will still post what I think.
So go speak to your other cheerleaders
You said he was awful EXCEPT for a couple of shifts. If you meant to say he was awful ON a couple of shifts then you should have written that to start with.

In an online forum where we only know each other through what we write, your credibility is all you have. If your idea of online conversation is all 'talking' and no 'listening' then you're not contributing much.

And I'm not a cheerleader. I've goated Redden twice in the last week. I was never in favour of resigning him. Get your facts straight, bub. I'm not upset because you're anti-Redden. I'm upset because you defend the viewpoint so poorly.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post

And I'm not a cheerleader. I've goated Redden twice in the last week. I was never in favour of resigning him. Get your facts straight, bub. I'm not upset because you're anti-Redden. I'm upset because you defend the viewpoint so poorly.
I'm upset because it's all he ever talks about and it invades every thread. Ignore doesn't work because everybody responds. I'm at my wits end of him blathering on about Wade Redden.

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagura_24 View Post
I'm upset because it's all he ever talks about and it invades every thread. Ignore doesn't work because everybody responds. I'm at my wits end of him blathering on about Wade Redden.
We've tried to ignore him before, but he just keeps going.

Old
03-01-2007, 01:58 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Now how fun would that be....
That's unquantifiable, but it would be more fun.

Old
03-01-2007, 02:00 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagura_24 View Post
I tried that for months and just gave up recently, for the reason you cited above. Ignore only works if people seldom respond.

Old
03-01-2007, 02:06 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCup View Post
is there a rolling eyes smilie? we need one for right here.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdudley View Post
*headdesk*

Old
03-01-2007, 03:36 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
I tried that for months and just gave up recently, for the reason you cited above. Ignore only works if people seldom respond.
Quoting myself ... ... but I'll try again, for Kags.

Old
03-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
I think it is interesting how I have gone from being neutral about Redden to becoming his biggest champion, lol. Funny, I started liking the Sens for one reason...Spezza. I love watching that boy play. Then, last year I became enthralled with the talent of Emery, when all of you were showing him NO LOVE...YES YOU, you all know who you are.

Redden won my heart last year at the playoffs with the way he played through what had to be immeasurable grief and sorrow and carried the Sens through the Tampa series. Since then, having become so many Sens fans' whipping boy, I have really grown to appreciate what a talent he is.

So Billpo, at the risk of sounding redundent, here it all is again, in point form:

4. His overall influence on his teammate is greatly undervalued. He gives them both
confidence, and a sense of calmness. He is highly valued and regarded by all his
teammates.

people to the arena, but off ice he is argueably the Sen's most visable player at

6. He has been a consistent performer since playing in the juniors. If you look at his
rookie or before his NHL days. Compare that to a player like Chara who developed
into the star he is today....Redden was born a star player, his talent is inate.

When Redden came back into the lineup after being injured the PP went from being ranked 29th to 16th and the turnover rate in the defensive zone drastically decreased.

He might not be fancy, he might not be flashy, he isn't intimidating like Chara, he isn't spectacular like Bobby Orr, but he is a key reason why the Sens win hockey games. He is cerebral player with true vision on the ice, and is widely considered to be one of the smartest players in the NHL.

Redden can have a downswing, he can even have a bad year, but the Sens will always be a better team for having him in the lineup.

It's posts like these that make me wish I had paid more attention in high school English instead of concentrating on the maths and sciences.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 05:54 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:

teammates.

Amazing post

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 06:06 PM
DEATHtrap

I knew all Redden needed was a hug from coach Murray to improve his play.

I just hope Kelly doesn't find out. He is the jealous type

DEATHtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Answer

Quote:

teammates.

Beautiful.

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 06:25 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCup View Post
is there a rolling eyes smilie? we need one for right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdudley View Post
Damn...

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 06:28 PM
fras123

Quote:
Actually Brandi. You gave me a brilliant idea. We should reduce his ice time to 2 shifts, then he would be a superstar!!!!!
we should reduce your posts to 2 a year...!!!!

Last edited by fras123: 03-01-2007 at 10:59 PM.
fras123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 06:28 PM
sensfan83*

despite all those points made by sylph, he's still sucking this season. He's never been this weak on the puck in his career and forwards seem to be using him as a pylon on a nightly basis. Sorry, i love the sens and loved Redden, but he isn't doing enough to be earning 6mil/yr. Let's hope he picks up his play in time for the playoffs.

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Clutch Mediocrity

Sorry, but I can't applaud that post like the others. It was very well written as Kickabrat said but I don't agree with the points at all:

Quote:
Kind of like McCabe does in Toronto? Anyway, last year Chara played more per game than any other Senator and the gap was sizeable. We still let him go (wrongly, IMO). It's not the amount of ice you get but what you do with it. Redden has looked quite poor during all those minutes, and of the TOUGH minutes against the opposing stars that Chara used to eat up, has just proved plain incapable. Phillips - Volchenkov have gotten all of those since they're actually able to handle it. But they're not the ones getting paid more than every defenseman other than Lidstrom, Pronger, and Niedermayer.

Quote:
This is the one thing I will give Redden. His pass is among the best, no doubt. Though I don't know if he clearly has the best in the league as you lead on, and he has also proven to suddenly pass right to the other team with annoying frequency in the playoffs once you start to get a hard forecheck on him and take him out of his comfort zone.

Quote:
The PP has sucked too so that falls on him. I don't know if there's any other PP defenseman on his team that tries to shoot THROUGH people as much as Redden, either. It usually causes a dangerous SH chance the other way.

Quote:
4. His overall influence on his teammate is greatly undervalued. He gives them both confidence, and a sense of calmness. He is highly valued and regarded by all his teammates.
That's funny actually because Redden's partners have displayed a disturbing trend - they've had career worst seasons along side him from Rachunek, to Volchenkov, and now to Meszaros. Our "#1" defenseman manages to make the people around him worse if anything.

Quote:
5. He has high value to the franchaise both on and off the ice. He is a NHL superstar, an Allstar, and Olympian, and World Champion. He not only draws people to the arena, but off ice he is argueably the Sen's most visable player at charity events and community functions.
Let me know when any of that helps the Sens during a playoff drive or better yet win the Cup. He is to be commended for his charity work but it's not related to his on-ice play at all.

Quote:
6. He has been a consistent performer since playing in the juniors. If you look at his career stats, they have been steady and incredible year after year even as a rookie or before his NHL days. Compare that to a player like Chara who developed into the star he is today....Redden was born a star player, his talent is inate.
Many people, myself included, thought it was a slightly unfullfilling consistancy. That natural talent you mention has always been there in spades yet he only reached the mid 40's in points once in his career until last season playing on some pretty talented teams, QB'ing what was often times among the league's better PPs. The production we saw from Redden last season is more in line with what a 6.5M dollar defenseman should be doing if he's surrounded by top-end talent.

Quote:
That's largely because the team just started to play better - a turnaround which began before Reddeb returned but continued to gain momentum afterward, leading to Wade getting alot of the credit when most of it was due to those who had to cope with his loss beforehand.

Quote:
That's because he's a good defenseman. I don't think anyone is disputing that. But at 6.5M I've seen enough of Wade Redden in a Sens jersey, particularily in the playoffs where he has always dissapointed - until last season because those series were laughably wide open and offensive, putting Wade right into his element. That will just not happen over the course of 4 playoff rounds and hopefully 16 wins. You're going to encounter tough hockey at some point along the way and Redden has thus far been unable to handle it. Given what he could return, I hope to see him traded in the off-season along with Martin Gerber to create some cap space. Together they account for nearly 1/4 of our alloted team budget.

Last edited by Clutch Mediocrity: 03-01-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Clutch Mediocrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:56 PM
dieseleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Mediocrity View Post
Kind of like McCabe does in Toronto? Anyway, last year Chara played more per game than any other Senator and the gap was sizeable. We still let him go (wrongly, IMO). It's not the amount of ice you get but what you do with it. Redden has looked quite poor during all those minutes, and of the TOUGH minutes against the opposing stars that Chara used to eat up, has just proved plain incapable. Phillips - Volchenkov have gotten all of those since they're actually able to handle it. But they're not the ones getting paid more than every defenseman other than Lidstrom, Pronger, and Niedermayer.
Actually Pronger makes a quarter of a million less than Redden, while McCabe, Chara and Jovanovski all make more than him.

I agree that Redden isn't having a great year, although I think he has been better lately, hopefully leading into good play in the playoffs (6 pts in his last 4 games).

As for Redden's contract, yes $6.5 million a year is a lot of money, but puck-moving defenceman are at a premium in the NHL, this is just the going rate for a player of his caliber in his position. It is unfortunate that he has struggled with injury and inconsistent play this year, because I'm sure he more than anyone would like to prove that he is worth the money. Hopefully he will be able to do this in the playoffs.

dieseleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Brandi

Yup, Agree on all accounts on that big long supportive post for Redden.

I've said that some of that in mini posts. But well written all around bud.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Clutch Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseleric View Post
Actually Pronger makes a quarter of a million less than Redden, while McCabe, Chara and Jovanovski all make more than him.
I was going by cap hit since that's what the fans are usually concerned about. I should have clarified such so that's my bad.

Upon checking the stats, Pronger does have a lower cap hit than Redden. How sad is that? So does Chara but being one of a kind in the league tends to understandably inflate your value (and I think he would have signed in Ottawa for what Redden'd cap hit of 6.5 but just got more on the open market). I acutally knew he had a higher cap hit being a Sens fan and all watching the signing take place, but for some reason he never crossed my mind. Jovo's cap hit is not more than Redden's.

So Chara, Lidstrom, and Niedermayer are the only d-men taking up a greater % of their team's payroll. I don't care how hard people try or how many stats they pull out that are totally lacking in individual value and are allteam related...... you can't justify that type of contract for Wade Redden when you look around the league.

Quote:
As for Redden's contract, yes $6.5 million a year is a lot of money, but puck-moving defenceman are at a premium in the NHL, this is just the going rate for a player of his caliber in his position. It is unfortunate that he has struggled with injury and inconsistent play this year, because I'm sure he more than anyone would like to prove that he is worth the money. Hopefully he will be able to do this in the playoffs.
Defensemen being at a premium or not I think 6.5M could be much better spent..... and we could get some major assets back for Wade in the off-season to go along with that cap room. He is a good player and I will never dispute. But I also think it'd be in Ottawa's best interest to trade him. He's not (give or take) the league's best defenseman. Not even clos. But he's getting paid like he is.

I too hope he picks it up in the playoffs as that's been one of my biggest beefs with him and why I didn't want him signed over Chara in the first place. If he delivers in April all is forgiven - it's only fair. But I'm not holding my breate.

Clutch Mediocrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Sylph

Clutch, I don't know how to quote you without making a hot mess of my post, so I am going to just start fresh in my response to you if that is okay.

1. The McCabe reference went over my head, probably because I like McCabe, but that is a different debate. As for Redden's ice time, I completely disagree. When Redden was out of the lineup, it was clearly a burden for his teammates to make up that time, and it showed, the team looked haggard. Players' talent and productivity suffered from being overworked. Redden's stamina on the ice takes the heat off many other players, so they can play their best.

2. We all seem to agree...so moving on...

3. Again, I will respectively have to disagree on your assessment of Redden, and I wouldn't be alone. I'm not the one who coined Redden the Sen's "Quarterback of the Power Play", he is widely considered to be in that role by both his peers and pundits in this game, all of who are a lot more knowledgable about this game than little old moi.

4. I wasn't refering to his defensive partner, I was refering to the entire team. Redden's teammates regularly sing his praises. His coaches love him, the media pundits love him, and let's face it, you don't get a call from the Great One to come play and represent your country if you are a mediocre defenseman. Redden has a long standing reputation for having ice water in his veins, and he doesn't wear the "A" for nothing on his jersey. He is known leader and he is known for performing under pressure. Are you willing to dismiss all of this? Are you prepared to say his reputation is undeserved and that he in fact has a negative influence on his teammates? If so, then kudos on Wade Redden for tricking so many people for so many years.

When Muckler resigned Redden this past spring, he said he wanted Redden back, his coach wanted him back, his teammates wanted him back, so we got him back. nuff said.

5. It has nothing to do with winning the Stanley Cup, and that was exactly the point. Yes, the Stanley is the Holiest of Holy Grails, and yes that is what every player and fan dreams of, but it isn't ALL there is to hockey, it isn't all that makes Hockey the greatest sport on the planet, dare I say the entire universe. With 30 teams in the cup race this year and that number growing exponentially into the future, the chances of winning the cup are small. Is Ottawa not a great hockey city? One only had to attend an event like the skills competition to feel the passion this city has for the sport and its team. This despite the fact that Ottawa has never won the cup in its current incarnation. Players like Wade Redden are superstars both on and off the ice, they help contribute to the excitement of the game and the entertainment of the sport. The game and this team simply would not be as much fun to watch without players like him. And I don't know about you, but considering that no one on the current Sens roster has won a Stanley Cup except Gerber...I take some comfort in knowing that there players who have won other prestigious titles, who have played in big games and can handle the pressure and know how to win.

6. With all due respect, who are you to assess what his potential should be? How many people in the entire WORLD have the career stats and talent that Wade Redden has? Not many. He is already in a very elite group of players in this world and has nothing to prove to anyone.

7. "...leading to Wade getting alot of the credit when most of it was due to those who had to cope with his loss beforehand."

I don't get it. If you don't want to give Wade any credit for what he contributes to the team, fine, but then his teammates could hardly be coping with his loss, when he has no positive influence on the team to begin with, now can they? You can't have it both ways. Either he is an asset to this team or he is not.

So many of you anti-reddenites are fond of bringing up his salary, so let me address that in closing. Is Wade Redden worth 6.5 million? I answer this question by asking another question:

Is Ray Emery worth 925,000 dollars? *or* Is Sidney Crosby worth 850,000 dollars?

The answer of course is no, if we were going to assign a dollar value to both Emery's and Crosby's performance this year, we all know they are worth a lot more than their current salaries, which is why they are in for some big raises this summer. The truth about hockey salaries is that you don't get paid for what you are worth that year, but what you were worth in previous years, and they project that forward. Teams gamble that you will produce for them. Crosby and Emery can both have stinker years next year, and totally bomb, and they will both be paid handsomely despite of it.

Wade Redden has paid his dues, he was given a contract that was evaluated on his past performance. If he hasn't earned that paycheque this year, he has earned it in previous years when he was earning less than what he was worth. That's the system folks, that is how it works. So quite blaming Wade. He didn't create the system, he is just in it for his fair share, and he has been more than fair to Ottawa, giving them the "hometown discount" than Chara refused to do.

Is Wade Redden having a 6.5 million dollar year? No. But I am sure no one feels worse about it than Wade Redden. Should the merits or lack there of his game be discussed here? Absolutely! This is what this forum is for, but attacking the man day in and day out with useless blanket assessments is just akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and is not the treatment that a player of Redden's calibre deserves.

My apologies in advance for the rant and the spelling mistakes. Its been a long day, and I am tired.

Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:35 PM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fras123 View Post
we should reduce your posts to 2 a year... then you wouldnt look like so much of an idiot!!!!
I see I'm geting to you. Who looks like the idiot now....

And by the way. You are one of the cheerleaders I'm talking about. There are a few people on this board who don't seem to accept that other people do not have the same opinions as they do and have to resort to calling them names.

Untill Reddens play picks up significantly, I will continue to question the contract that was awarded to him. Overpaid, and overated. Probably the worst dman on the ice this year. Even Corvo...YES Corvo looks better recently.

Yes redden has sort earned a pisily amount of his salary the last few games, but has a long way to go. But rest assured people, unless this team wins the cup. Mr Redden will be ripping off another team next year.

ps. I hope I havent hurt anybodys feelings.....

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:05 PM
The_Sen_Man

Quote:
I see I'm geting to you. Who looks like the idiot now....

And by the way. You are one of the cheerleaders I'm talking about. There are a few people on this board who don't seem to accept that other people do not have the same opinions as they do and have to resort to calling them names.

Untill Reddens play picks up significantly, I will continue to question the contract that was awarded to him. Overpaid, and overated. Probably the worst dman on the ice this year. Even Corvo...YES Corvo looks better recently.

Yes redden has sort earned a pisily amount of his salary the last few games, but has a long way to go. But rest assured people, unless this team wins the cup. Mr Redden will be ripping off another team next year.

ps. I hope I havent hurt anybodys feelings.....

i totally agree with you.. i don't know why everyone is getting on your back.. (unless ofcourse ALL you post about his redden being bad)

The_Sen_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:07 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sen_Man View Post
i totally agree with you.. i don't know why everyone is getting on your back.. (unless ofcourse ALL you post about his redden being bad)
Thats why.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:17 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Mediocrity View Post
Now that is a good anti-Redden post. Absolutely no nonsense about Redden being terrible except for 2 shifts.

IMO Redden is a $6.5 mil player. I just don't want the team spending that much on one defenceman unless they've got a bunch of good cheap ones to compensate. Next year we'll need significant raises for Phillips, Volchenkov, Preissing (if he stays) and Schubert.

And one more thing, the Sens have played better 5-on-5 without Redden than with him. That's a sign of a sub-par season and he's been turning things around but it shows that the team does not rely upon him to produce their offence. They can do that just fine without him.