HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lowe

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 08:35 AM
reg dunlop

vCash: 500
Lowe

as a flames fan, we are in the same boat as the Oilers in dealing with the small market constraints; and it is so good to see Kevin Lowe playing hardball like he is.. it is good to see Gm's out there like Brian Burke and Kevin Lowe who wont be pushed around... hope you guys can make a good trade and get the baby out of town.. funny when a player puts the screws to a team, it is business; when the team has some leverage and does the same, the "poor" player is offended and underappreciated.. i hope the new CBA has a lot of new changes in it... This league is in trouble..

Old
12-11-2003, 08:43 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
good to hear from you, dunlop. have to agree with your post particularly the reference to hurting players feelings. as i have learned over the years business is business.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:51 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop
as a flames fan, we are in the same boat as the Oilers in dealing with the small market constraints; and it is so good to see Kevin Lowe playing hardball like he is.. it is good to see Gm's out there like Brian Burke and Kevin Lowe who wont be pushed around... hope you guys can make a good trade and get the baby out of town.. funny when a player puts the screws to a team, it is business; when the team has some leverage and does the same, the "poor" player is offended and underappreciated.. i hope the new CBA has a lot of new changes in it... This league is in trouble..
I have already stated this in another thread, but will say it again.

What Lowe is doing is completely within his rights in the current CBA. Players use the CBA to their advantage all the time. We dont see GM's using it as often. Lowe has done a great job.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:54 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Now wait just a minute here! Who are you, and what have you done with the real Reg Dunlop? I'm busting my hump defending Lowe in your usual hangout there, and here's the one that usually makes fun of me, suddenly agreeing with me! You're killing me, Reg!

Old
12-11-2003, 08:55 AM
reg dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
I have already stated this in another thread, but will say it again.

What Lowe is doing is completely within his rights in the current CBA. Players use the CBA to their advantage all the time. We dont see GM's using it as often. Lowe has done a great job.
I ORIGINALLY HAD DOUBTS WHEN THE OILERS HIRED LOWE AS G.M, BUT I THINK HE HAS DONE A REALLY GOOD JOB, IN SPITE OF THE OILERS STRUGGLES THESE DAYS... I AGREE THAT COREY PERRY AND A 1ST ROUND PICK IS NOT FAIR VALUE.. STICK TO YOUR GUNS

Old
12-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop
I ORIGINALLY HAD DOUBTS WHEN THE OILERS HIRED LOWE AS G.M, BUT I THINK HE HAS DONE A REALLY GOOD JOB, IN SPITE OF THE OILERS STRUGGLES THESE DAYS... I AGREE THAT COREY PERRY AND A 1ST ROUND PICK IS NOT FAIR VALUE.. STICK TO YOUR GUNS
Maybe you meant to write like this!

Old
12-11-2003, 08:58 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
some of the oiler fans who disagree should go beat there head against a brick wall(no pun intended), Reg Dunlop is 100% correct with this, Lowe did this for the Oilers (and maybe himself) but thats the bottom line at the end of the day we cheer for the Oilers and when the management decide to act hard against someone who's been screwing with THEM from DAY ONE, well somebody said this "what goes around comes around, and this is coming around"

Old
12-11-2003, 09:02 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
that look on comries face on sportsnet this morning sums up that what goes around will come around statement. he was really trying hard not to cry, ok not bust a cap on lowe. had to laugh because he seems to have the impression he can dictate terms to the oilers. that curveball from lowe certainly threw him for a loop. good for you lowe.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Seachd

I agree with, Reg, though. Lowe is sticking to his guns, and it's nice to see he won't cave. If he's only trying to do what's best for his team, how can he be blamed?

Old
12-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I agree with, Reg, though. Lowe is sticking to his guns, and it's nice to see he won't cave. If he's only trying to do what's best for his team, how can he be blamed?
How can anyone see this as Lowe just doing what is best for the team?

If Lowe asked Anaheim for the money first and they said no, then I could see it. From all accounts he didn't even attempt to ask Murray for money.

I just can't believe a couple of things....

1) That Kevin Lowe did this.
2) That he has such unmitigated support from Oiler fans.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432

If Lowe asked Anaheim for the money first and they said no, then I could see it. From all accounts he didn't even attempt to ask Murray for money.
But how does who he asks money from affect the fact that he feels it's best for the team? Whether from the Ducks or Comrie or me, I don't see how that makes it any better, or any worse, of a deal. How come it would be alright if he got the money from the Ducks, but not if he got it from Comrie? How does that affect the trade in terms of value for the Oilers?

If anything, I think Lowe's played this pretty well so far. The most important thing is that Lowe hasn't given Comrie away to a conference rival for a return he thinks is less than the team deserves.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:26 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:

I just can't believe a couple of things....

1) That Kevin Lowe did this.
2) That he has such unmitigated support from Oiler fans.
I heard you can't ask for money in trades anymore. Plus it was Winter's idea for the Comrie camp to pay to get out of town, they just didn't like the amount he asked for.

I think Lowe is doing a great job.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I heard you can't ask for money in trades anymore. Plus it was Winter's idea for the Comrie camp to pay to get out of town, they just didn't like the amount he asked for.

That's exactly why I think Lowe went to Comrie with the request. He'd exhausted all options for a deal with Anaheim, and when their best offer wasn't good enough, Lowe tried something that maybe was morally shady, but completely legal in every way.

Supporters and naysayers have to agree: it takes HUGE cajonies to try something like this.

Of course, Kev would be a real genius if he somehow made them take Salo in the deal :p

P.S - If it is indeed true that Winter offered money in this situation, then this shouldn't even be a discussion, since, in this sense, it's completely legal.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:28 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Well, whether or not we agree with his actions, I think we can agree that Lowe is not a stupid man.

In my opinion it would be stupid to try and alienate yourself with other GMs. He's not going to find many dance partners if he keeps turning around and ruining deals... therefore, my (usually faulty) logic leads me to believe that Murray at least had a shred of prior knowledge that this might take place. Especially since Murray didn't seem particularly offended by the move.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark

I would like to see some confirmation of either of your points.

1) Can't ask for money in trades.
2) Winter's idea that they would pay to get out of town.

I can't have an opinion on what you said until I find out if either of these things are true.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:54 AM
barto

Quote:
I would like to see some confirmation of either of your points.

1) Can't ask for money in trades.
2) Winter's idea that they would pay to get out of town.

I can't have an opinion on what you said until I find out if either of these things are true.
Of COURSE you can have an opinion on things before you know they're true...that's how boards like these RUN!!!

I'd heard the same thing about Winter having agreed (in principle) to the idea of Comrie possibly kicking in some money to speed up a deal - I think someone had referenced a K-Lowe interview on the radio from yesterday. I caught the last few minutes of the TEAM 1260 interview replay this morning, but not that part.

But in the end, I find myself agreeing with some of the other posters - this is a tough move by Lowe, but I see NOTHING wrong with it at all. If Comrie wants to dictate which teams he'll go to (thus lowering his trade value), then he can ante up the difference to facilitate a trade SOONER rather than LATER.

Comrie still holds the cards here in that he can still say "no" to the money request and it has the same effect as Lowe saying "no" to Murray without making the offer to Comrie to kick in some cash. Don't see a big deal about it at all. If it's allowed by the current CBA, Lowe would be a fool for not using it to obtain the best possible result for the Oilers, just as Comrie would have been a fool (money-wise) for not exploiting the Van Ryn loophole earlier. And he wasn't no fool...

Bart

Old
12-11-2003, 11:28 AM
Shizuka

It's nice to hear support from a Flames fan, where as you've pointed out you face the same economic realities as we do. I think where most people get upset is that it seems like a David vs. Goliath scenario, big business vs. the rights of the worker (and the business guys, Lowe et al. in this case, apparently are using their muscle to take advantage of the little guy, Comrie in this case and no pun intended).

I wouldn't think most folks like seeing people taken advantage of, but come on. He's an athlete being paid several million dollars a year to play, who refused to sign with the club; he's also stated on more than one occasion that it is "more than just money" that is the root of his refusal to resign. This sorry mess had its genesis in the second half of 2002 / 2003, and the fallout after last year's playoffs. When this gets resolved, there will hopefully be a clearing of the air regarding the bad blood. And I for one cannot wait to hear what the cause of Comrie's enmity and rancour is. I really can't .

Closed Thread