HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oleg Saprykin to Ottawa

Old
02-27-2007, 03:00 PM
DEATHtrap

vCash: 500
I think it is a decent deal. Sometimes it is the under the radar, apprerently insignificant deals that pay the most dividends. What is most encouraging is the Yotes fans reactions...man they really liked this guy

DEATHtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:06 PM
IranCondraAffair

At least he brought in someone who's actually been to the finals. Compare that to some of the payments made for guys who've never even been there baffles me.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:08 PM
discostu

I don't think he's a comparable to Vermette. He has pretty much zero short handed time, while guys like Owen Nolan do on that team.

He seems to be a guy that gets about 13-14 minutes of ice time, with not that much of it being special teams. It looks like he was used as a second unit guy in Phoenix.

Once the boards clear up, I'd be curious to go back and read what fans thought of him during the 03-04 run. He didn't put up many points, as many people have already pointed out, but, he was second on that team in terms of shots on goal. One of his goals was an OT winner as well.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:09 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

But he's the one guy that was USELESS during the Flames playoff run.

I would know. I was in Calgary at the time.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Muckler said a 1st rounder for Roberts. Keenan agreed he would not have made that deal either. And he's the one who signed Roberts in FLA in the first place. Comry was their big aquisition. They did not really have to do much. Roberts would have been nice but not for a 1st rounder.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:31 PM
freakin

anyone know if this guy is a Defensive Forward? That's something we need. he has a decent plus minus which is why I'm asking.

We and Phoenix love being in bed with each other.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:33 PM
The Fuhr*

Heres fans from Yotes thoughts on the deal
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...34#post8282634

He was loved in Phoenix.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Tony_S*

So overall Ottawa and Phoenix

To Ottawa: Comrie, Saprykin, 7th in 2007

To Phoenix: Kaigorodov, 2nd in 2008

right?

Tony_S* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:39 PM
PlayItAgain

If he was so loved why would Gretzky trade Saprykin when he is a RFA making chump change?

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:39 PM
freakin

yes

fans in Yotes even using my name in vain

Old
02-27-2007, 05:24 PM
SENSational

I would have easily gave away the first round pick for Roberts. We end up losing every year so why not actually try to do something this time? I know Comrie was our big acquisition but Roberts would have helped us alot in the playoffs.

SENSational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:28 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Pierre McGuire said that Phoenix deemed him expendable because he has indicated a desire to go back to Russia to play next year. That may be why he came a bit cheaper than some of the comparable UFA players. Overall, I'd say it's a good deal, but I'm not sure it was the right deal for this team at this point in time. I wouldn't mind knowing how good he is in his own end. If he really is a Vermette clone, he might develop some decent chemistry with Spezza and Heatley. One positive is that a surprising number of his goals this year have been scored in the blue paint.
Hold on... So Phoenix trades Saprykin because they are afraid he'll flee to Russia next year, yet theyve already traded for Kaigorodov who has ALREADY fled to Russia?

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:30 PM
freakin

Gretzky doesn't make the deals, though I'm sure he has input. But if you look at what Phoenix did in trades this year, they've pretty much depleted their roster in hopes of having a team 5 years from now. If I was a Phoenix fan I'd be losing it too.

I don't think we needed Roberts, but at this point I'd take losing some future for the present. I think next year we may have a weaker team than we do now. Our time has been the last few years, with this season maybe being our last good shot. Hopefully we make a great run, we still get love from a lot of experts out there, though a lot of fan opinions aren't in our favor. oh well, bring on the playoffs so we can find out.

Old
02-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Buckleys

Good pick up by Mucks. that 7th makes up for the loss of the 6th. We draft better in the 7th then the 6th anyway . Past two 6th's are Koopman and Megalinsk. Past two 7ths are Condra and Greening... Just trying to make people people better.

Not a great deal, but its significantly better then what I expected form the Mucker.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:31 PM
senility

Does anybody know whether we traded Chicago's 2nd rounder or our own? That could be a big difference in a strong draft year.

As was suggested, reading the comments of Phoenix fans has proved to be a wonderful tonic for my apprehensions about this deal.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:34 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I guess my biggest question is...could the 2nd rounder have gotten us Gelinas? I think he would have been a better fit when you look for a young team like Ottawa.

I'm not mad about this deal, as Saprykin is a good player, he just doesn't fill one of the needs on the team.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Lexicon Devil

Not exactly what I was looking for, but...

Saprykin has 30 of his 34 pts at even-strength. That is quite impressive - actually it is good for 71st in the league.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Redden Punches Faces*

Ahhh, a russian friend for Anton!!! Thats sweet!!

Redden Punches Faces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:43 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickEaves View Post
But he's the one guy that was USELESS during the Flames playoff run.

I would know. I was in Calgary at the time.
I remember watching the Cup run and being impressed by him. Maybe I wasn't watching the same player.

Speed alone can create chances, and he does have that.

I just want to know where they plan on using him. Maybe with Comrie and Vermette, and then move Kelly back to the top line? I have no clue.

I guess at the very least, we will have a very good 4th line.

Last edited by The Mars Volchenkov: 02-27-2007 at 05:52 PM.
The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:49 PM
The Fuhr*

Saprykin is a very good player. Just beginning to put it all together this season.

- had the second most points on his team, (14 goals 20 assists)
- was a +8,
- he made the players around him better on multiple lines
- he never took a shift off

He is a late bloomer that is finally putting all his skills together and now has the work ethic to match those skills (11th overall in 99). His point totals have come well hes carried a line with Sjostrom and he was on another line with Ziggy and Laraque. Saprykin did pretty well on a depth line of a bad team as the Yotes have very little talent. Saprykin also will take a hit to finish a play and is not afraid to crash the net (something this team could always use)

I remember the last time the Yotes traded away an offensively gifted player that was just starting to put it together, his name Daniel Briere and another time they moved Daymond Langkow, not saying Saprykin will be as good as those two but he is in the middle of busting out.

Sure we could have used a vet for some more leadership but we did not get it.

Comrie has turned into a very nice player which we got from the Yotes expect Saprykin to have the same kind of impact. I would like for him to be on the big line as his work ethic will certainly rub off on Spezza and he has the skills to make plays and finish. He could be a very pleasant surprise and a Saprykin-Spezza-Heatley line could be a very good first line.

Saprykin is a late blooming player, he will make a lot of people eat crow who think he is nothing.

Old
02-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
I'm pretty upset because it doesn't address what I thought was our main need...but reading Coyotes fans reactions has soothed me somewhat. Seems decent defensively, finishes checks, works hard (this is what I read on another message board) so it seems like he's good for depth. But beyond that...I'll wait and see I guess.

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Papa Lazarou*

Seems to me like Mucks was making a deal for the sake of it. Still i'll hold my judgement of the player until i've seen him play for the playoff edition of the Sens. Afterall I was all excited about Bondra a few years back and look what happened. Looks like the Islanders, Pitsburgh and Buffalo did well. The Leafs got Perrault who is playing well this year. This is going to be intersting.

Papa Lazarou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Roy G Biv*

Fuhr: If Muckler had traded for a steaming bag of ****, you'd tell us it could fertilize the land around Scotiabank place...

The deal in itself is fine. The deal as a trade deadline acquisition isn't very good. Another bottom 6 forward on a team full of them.

I would have bit the bullet and gave up the 1st for Roberts. He may have been a bottom 6 guy here in Ottawa, but at least he brings intangibles.

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:55 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
Fuhr: If Muckler had traded for a steaming bag of ****, you'd tell us it could fertilize the land around Scotiabank place...
Not really. I've been watching Saprykin all season, picked him up in an FHL league I am in back in November. Been reading fan reaction to his play and have gone out of my way to watch Yote games to see him play.

Old
02-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post

The deal in itself is fine. The deal as a trade deadline acquisition isn't very good. Another bottom 6 forward on a team full of them.

I would have bit the bullet and gave up the 1st for Roberts. He may have been a bottom 6 guy here in Ottawa, but at least he brings intangibles.
Not to play a mod role here, but respect the rules. It seems like you want to start an arguement. Fuhr was stating facts, and very good ones at that. I for one couldn't agree more with him. If you don't thats cool, but don't try to insult other posters for it. If we all followed this conduct, Moderaters wouldn't have to give out warnings, delete posts, lock threads, etc.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote