HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oleg Saprykin to Ottawa

Old
02-27-2007, 06:52 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

vCash: 500
Soooo in the past year....

To Ottawa:
-Mike Comrie
-Oleg Saprykin
-Josh Hennessy
-Michael Barinka
-Tom Preissing
-Lawrence Nycholat

To others:
-Martin Havlat
-Bryan Smolinski
-Alexei Kaigorodov
-Andy Hedlund

The draft picks came out even.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:54 PM
OttawaGM

So Havlat for Preissing, Saprykin, Hennessy, Barinka and a salary dump of Smolinski. Not such a bad trade now that it has fully panned out. Even better if we can re-sign Preissing in the off season.

I guess the playoff lineup / roster looks like this:

Heatley - Spezza - Neil
Schaefer - Fisher - Alfredsson
Vermette - Comrie - Kelly
Saprykin - McAmmond - Eaves (Has to be one of the top 4th lines?)

Extra: Hennessy - McGratton

Redden - Meszaros
Phillips - Volchenkov
Corvo - Preissing

Extras: Schubert - Nycholat

Emery
Gerber

Extras: Guard

Last edited by OttawaGM: 02-27-2007 at 07:02 PM.
OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Reggie Dunlop

Looks like he'll fit in perfectly. His scouting report on tsn.ca is very similar to our team as a whole..

Assets: Possesses an impressive array of offensive skills. Combines good speed and nifty puck-handling ability with a feisty disposition.

Flaws: Can at times lack focus. Still takes too many nights off. Needs to show better decision-making ability on the ice.

I'm ok with this pickup.. However, wouldn't have minded if our ol' man would have tried a high risk - high reward type trade this year. As for Roberts, it just seems as though Papa Jacques wasn't interested in sending him our way..

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:11 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Well, everybody was also comparing Mike Comrie to Princess Tylerina. I'm not sure that I'm going to put much stock into what everybody else thinks this time around.
Agreed - I actually think this is a pretty good deal. People bellyache about the team dropping its skill level, but Muckler has managed to add Comrie and Saprykin to the ranks without sacrificing any of the key (non-pouting) young assets in the organization. Maybe that doesn't impress too many people but with Saprykin, they can also either trade or sign him in the off-season, depending on how things go. It would be interesting if this was intended to sort of start building a bridge with the Russian prospects, i.e. letting Volchenkov and Saprykin play amabassador a bit.

Personally, I'm pretty keen to see what he can do. The reputation he seems to carry among many Coyotes fans of being a very hard worker, combined with his skills set, makes him a welcome addition in my books. And who exactly has he played with so far that would have afforded him a chance to flourish offensively? I would think that Ottawa's style of play would suit his strengths quite well. So while I fully realize it's not an 'A' list move with splash value, and I was pushing for Roberts as much as anyone (though not at the expense of Eaves), this could well prove to be a very astute move where the scouting team proves their worth yet again.

sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:42 PM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Finnigan View Post
Anyone get a Saprykin jersey yet?
No but I got a Nycholat.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:44 PM
DG

I'm excited because the man might share the honour of wearing one of the greatest numbers in Sens history - '91'.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:48 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
The Sens have now traded for a number 89 and a number 91.

I'd say that's a complete 180 from what they've allowed in the recent past with numbers.

Am I right?

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:49 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

groan.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:50 PM
moz
Gute Post

Ok Ron MacLean.

Old
02-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post

I'd say that's a complete 180 from what they've allowed in the recent past with numbers.

Am I right?

Maybe a complete 180 from stanley cup success

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:56 PM
XX
He's a good guy

You guys have no idea what you got, do you? This isn't Oleg Saprykin as he played on the Flames. Hes matured, is fierce and loves to hit and stirr the pot. He also has a knack for scoring clutch goals. He has been my favorite Coyote this year. An incredibly hard worker. Which is why we traded him away....

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
You guys have no idea what you got, do you? This isn't Oleg Saprykin as he played on the Flames. Hes matured, is fierce and loves to hit and stirr the pot. He also has a knack for scoring clutch goals. He has been my favorite Coyote this year. An incredibly hard worker. Which is why we traded him away....
Believe me, I understand this. I appreciate what we've gotten and let me be the first to say i'm on his bandwagon until he's proven otherwise.

Old
02-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
So Havlat for Preissing, Saprykin, Hennessy, Barinka and a salary dump of Smolinski. Not such a bad trade now that it has fully panned out. Even better if we can re-sign Preissing in the off season.
We traded our own 2nd from what I understand, so Saprykin isn't really with the Havlat deal. This to me just makes the deal that much better, because Chicago's pick should be close to a first -hopefully-

Old
02-27-2007, 08:47 PM
delchief

I'm ok with Muckler's minimalist moves. They're not sexy, but we've improved our team's depth without sacrificing anything significant. If the boys play like they did tonight in coming back against the 'Canes, then a Roberts-type guy isn't needed. Time will tell... and did Saprykin play on a line with Comrie in Phoenix? If so, then my playoff lines would be...

Heatley - Spezza - McAmmond
Schaefer - Fisher - Alfie
Saprykin - Comrie - Eaves
Vermette - Kelly - Neil

Redden - Preissing (Murray's got to get Preissing up with Reds...)
Phillips - Volchenkov
Meszaros - Corvo

Emery/Gerber

Press box --> Schubert, Nycholat, Hennessey, McGrattan, Bois

delchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:52 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold
Veteran User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by delchief View Post
I'm ok with Muckler's minimalist moves. They're not sexy, but we've improved our team's depth without sacrificing anything significant. If the boys play like they did tonight in coming back against the 'Canes, then a Roberts-type guy isn't needed. Time will tell... and did Saprykin play on a line with Comrie in Phoenix? If so, then my playoff lines would be...

Heatley - Spezza - McAmmond
Schaefer - Fisher - Alfie
Saprykin - Comrie - Eaves
Vermette - Kelly - Neil

Redden - Preissing (Murray's got to get Preissing up with Reds...)
Phillips - Volchenkov
Meszaros - Corvo

Emery/Gerber

Press box --> Schubert, Nycholat, Hennessey, McGrattan, Bois
i agree with the comrie, saprykin, eaves line, might as well let saprykin feel at home and reunite him with another ex-coyote player like comrie. Maybe they can make a spark ignite.

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:53 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exemplify View Post
i agree with the comrie, saprykin, eaves line, might as well let saprykin feel at home and reunite him with another ex-coyote player like comrie. Maybe they can make a spark ignite.
Switch Eaves with Vermette and that line would have ridiculous speed.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:58 PM
moz
Gute Post

Did Saprykin and McAmmond ever play on the same line in Calgary?

Old
02-27-2007, 09:02 PM
senility

From what I could glean from the highlights, he played a lot of shifts with George Laraque as his right winger. The centre was Perrault in several of the clips, but I guess that would have only been in the second half of the season. I also don't know how much Gretzky juggles his lines. Assuming the line was Saprykin-Perrault-Laraque. his even strength scoring numbers are that much more impressive, since Perrault's numbers would be somewhat inflated by his extra powerplay time.

As I mentioned earlier, what I thought stood out from the clips was his net crashing ability. He seems to score a lot of garbage goals in close on tips and rebounds. Considering that he's also being described as an excellent skater and a strong forechecker, I think there is much to be optimistic about here. If he is a defensive liability, playing him with Heatley and Spezza may not be in the cards, but I'm sure Neil or McAmmond or Kelly can do that job if need be. Even if Saprykin only plays on the fourth line, it sounds like he has the potential to be a lot like Schubert, but with much better hands. I could actually see a fourth line of Saprykin-McAmmond-Eaves producing its share of goals.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:07 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Thanks for the information, I'm really excited to see him play. I seem to remember enjoying watching him during Calgary's cup run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post

Am I right?

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:22 PM
senility

Just found this on the Coyote's board:

"Barnett was on 1060 today...He said they offered Saprykin a contract but he wanted more money and there was talk of him heading back to Russia. They feared getting nothing for him so decided to make the move."

Sounds like the whole going back to Russia thing is just a negotiation ploy. That suggests he might still be tradeable if somebody will pay him what he wants, or he might simply like playing in a hockey city and agree to lower his demands. Whatever the case, it's nice to know that it's not a foregone conclusion that he will bolt on us next year.

Last edited by senility: 02-27-2007 at 09:34 PM.
senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:47 PM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Saprykin was one of the few Yotes that played his ass off every night. The kid can play and has talent. This is a good move. He works hard and we could also use a hard working player on the team. Hes good.
You seem to forget something.....He's Russian, and his summer holidays start the same day as the playoffs.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:03 PM
SoulPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
You seem to forget something.....He's Russian, and his summer holidays start the same day as the playoffs.
When did Russia differentiate their summer from North America?

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
Phew, good thing you had no respect around here in the first place because it could have taken a real hit after that Don Cherry esque statement.

Russian, Slovenian, Croatian, Martian. It doesn't matter where he is from.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:15 PM
The Fuhr*

Looking at Saprykins playoff run with the Flames a few years back.

He played in all 26 games, 14 minutes a night and 2 minutes on the PP per game.

Had three goals and three assists but the impressive thing is he had 53 shots, second on the team to Iginla. He was not afraid to shoot then, did not finish but he shot.

If you look at how he scores goals he is always around the net, crashing it. Can't wait to see how he looks like with the Sens.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
Not to play a mod role here, but respect the rules. It seems like you want to start an arguement. Fuhr was stating facts, and very good ones at that. I for one couldn't agree more with him. If you don't thats cool, but don't try to insult other posters for it. If we all followed this conduct, Moderaters wouldn't have to give out warnings, delete posts, lock threads, etc.
It seems like you are trying to play moderator.

I'm just trying to provide a ying for the yang... the yangs being the relentless homers (yourself included).

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote