HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oleg Saprykin to Ottawa

Old
02-27-2007, 10:44 PM
senility

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Looking at Saprykins playoff run with the Flames a few years back.

He played in all 26 games, 14 minutes a night and 2 minutes on the PP per game.

Had three goals and three assists but the impressive thing is he had 53 shots, second on the team to Iginla. He was not afraid to shoot then, did not finish but he shot.

Let's not forget, nobody on that team could finish except for that first line, and sometimes not even them. They must have had more 1-0 and 2-1 games (wins and losses) than any other finalist in recent memory.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:17 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
You seem to forget something.....He's Russian, and his summer holidays start the same day as the playoffs.
Brutal... come on, man.

sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:57 AM
Gr8full

Quote:
You seem to forget something.....He's Russian, and his summer holidays start the same day as the playoffs.
Hmm, first caller in to the Team this morning used that exact line. Was that you billpo?

Gr8full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:15 AM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
Hrm... i seem to remember a very powerful Red Wings team winning the cup literally dripping with Russians.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:21 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
Fuhr: If Muckler had traded for a steaming bag of ****, you'd tell us it could fertilize the land around Scotiabank place...

The deal in itself is fine. The deal as a trade deadline acquisition isn't very good. Another bottom 6 forward on a team full of them.

I would have bit the bullet and gave up the 1st for Roberts. He may have been a bottom 6 guy here in Ottawa, but at least he brings intangibles.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:22 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobofish View Post
Phew, good thing you had no respect around here in the first place because it could have taken a real hit after that Don Cherry esque statement.

Russian, Slovenian, Croatian, Martian. It doesn't matter where he is from.
You know exactly what I mean.....

Old
02-28-2007, 06:24 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8full View Post
Hmm, first caller in to the Team this morning used that exact line. Was that you billpo?
Yes it was.....

Old
02-28-2007, 06:34 AM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
The deal in itself is fine. The deal as a trade deadline acquisition isn't very good. Another bottom 6 forward on a team full of them.

I would have bit the bullet and gave up the 1st for Roberts. He may have been a bottom 6 guy here in Ottawa, but at least he brings intangibles.
I agree with you. The deal itself is fine. Saprykin could be a decent 4th liner. However, the deal as a trade deadline acquisition is not good at all. The pupose of the trade deadline is to give teams one last chance to address their needs, reduce their weaknesses, and patch up any holes that they have.

What was Ottawa's needs, weaknesses, and holes? Mainly a veteran forward, most preferably with Cup-winning experience, and ideally one with a lot of grit.

What did Muckler get? A forward alright, but one with not much experience (he is only 25 years old and has only played in 26 career playoff games), with no Stanley Cup, and whose grittiness is highly questionable.

How is this trade coming anywhere near addressing the needs, weaknesses, and holes on this team?

And since the entire purpose of the trade deadline is to address needs/weaknesses/holes, and it is obvious that has not been done, then how can any sane or logical person claim that the trade deadline was anything other than a failure?

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:39 AM
pepty

Its quite a change to see how highly thought of he was by Phoenix fans, and how sorry they are to lose him.

This is a refreshing contrast to to the reaction when Corvo and Arnason were brought in and we were warned about what a dissapoitment they would be.

Lets hope he makes a good contribution to the team. I think Comrie has worked out well,let's hope this guy does as well.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:51 AM
ThePylon

After some thought, I am okay with Saprykin. I've heard an adage that if you can't (or won't...?) fill in your weaknesses, you augment your strengths. We have a LOT of 2nd-3rd line, mid-sized, hard-working, grinding, speedy, skilled players now...

Fisher
Schaefer
Neil
Vermette
Kelly
Comrie
Saprykin

... all could be a fine fill-in on any 2nd line in the league.

If there's a positive, that's one - although I suppose that and $1.35 gets you a large double-double, but, hey, ya never know. In this "new NHL", maybe Muckler's figured out the secret...

ThePylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:20 AM
m1k_3

Saprykin is the answer.....Start Believing!

m1k_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Sens4Cup

I think old Mucks realizes that for the most part someone you pickup usually disappoints and the odd guy fits in well and is decent.

So you could go out and pickup Guerin but if Guerin isn't get top-line minutes he might get you 15-20 goals a season. If you pickup Tkachuk and lose in the first round well there goes say Brian Lee and a first round pick. I think the best this does is allow Schubert to play as a 7th D and since in the playoffs they may dress 21 players at all times they should have 7 D out there in case of injuries.

Muckler really gave very little up this year to get Comrie and Saprykin, though I myself wonder how much he could have traded Havlat for at the deadline, probably like 2 first rounders and a blue chip prospect. But oh well.

I think sending some guys for former first round draft picks is fine, but if you do it all the time you deplete your prospect roster alot. Look at the Owen Nolan deal, Toronto lost Brad Boyes (a good first liner last year), Alyn McCauley(a solid checking center), and a first round pick which could have been Kesler, Richards, Eaves, Perry, Bergeron, Weber etc. In 2004 they gave up a first rounder for Leetch that could have gotten them Meszaros, Wolski etc.

So all in all no big deals is fine by me, and those who think picking up Bertuzzi for a conditional pick would have been should think about how he'd be a distraction and how much of a cancer he is in the locker room. And his past playoff performances have been anything but good.

Sorry enough rambling...

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:25 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

For god's sakes, what's the point of trashing him before he plays a single game?

I'm sure there will be ample opportunities later.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:31 AM
m1k_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
For god's sakes, what's the point of trashing him before he plays a single game?

I'm sure there will be ample opportunities later.
Who's trashing him.......I am a believer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

m1k_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:36 AM
IranCondraAffair

I hardly ever disgree with Muckler's moves, and I'll continue this trend with my continuing praise of an hearlded move that will probably help us just as much as some big name without much substance.

The Sens will live and die in the playoffs with the core they've assembled, not some panacea bought at the last minute....

For every Carolina/Edmonton who changed over half their roster, you have Tampa or Calgary who didn't.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Bloggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe View Post

The Sens will live and die in the playoffs with the core they've assembled, not some panacea bought at the last minute....

For every Carolina/Edmonton who changed over half their roster, you have Tampa or Calgary who didn't.
I haveta agree. When a team is playing well enough why try and make some major change and disrupt the whole kharma of the team in the final stretch of regular season. Now if your team is struggling and having difficulty a change can do wonders.

Bloggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:00 AM
ZenBaja

I like this acquisition. Muckler deserves major props not to trade away our future to get some old guy that isn't going to do anything for us. The Pens just got weaker now, and in the future. Things are looking up.... -Z

ZenBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Roy G Biv*

I'm just excited I can exclaim Oleg Freakin' Saprykin

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe View Post

Gary Roberts for a 1st round pick is changing half our roster and killing our future?

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:16 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Gary Roberts for a 1st round pick is changing half our roster and killing our future?

UNBELEIVABLE eh Suiteness?.......UNBELEIVABLE.
Its this kind of mentality unfortunately, that will prevent us from ever taking a true run for the cup.....

Old
02-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Human Megaphone

Billpo, ever since the get together you have really out done yourself. You're even crazier than I remember. Before it was mostly just Wade, now it seems to be everyone. Are you more comfortable now?

I fear for your blood pressure with all this fervent hostility.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
UNBELEIVABLE eh Suiteness?.......UNBELEIVABLE.
Its this kind of mentality unfortunately, that will prevent us from ever taking a true run for the cup.....
Last time I checked, the posters on this board don't run the team.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
And since the entire purpose of the trade deadline is to address needs/weaknesses/holes, and it is obvious that has not been done, then how can any sane or logical person claim that the trade deadline was anything other than a failure?
Ultimately, we went from Hamel and McGrattan in our starting lineup and replaced them with Comrie and Saprykin. Two 4th liners for two 2nd liners. Is that failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup
So you could go out and pickup Guerin but if Guerin isn't get top-line minutes he might get you 15-20 goals a season. If you pickup Tkachuk and lose in the first round well there goes say Brian Lee and a first round pick. I think the best this does is allow Schubert to play as a 7th D and since in the playoffs they may dress 21 players at all times they should have 7 D out there in case of injuries.
I was against the idea of getting a 1st line player because we couldn't use him in the minutes he was accustomed to. So we'd be paying for production we couldn't possibly get out of him and outbidding teams that desperately needed 1st line talent. Saprykin has been getting crap ice time and succeeding with it. Essentially, the ice time he'll be getting here.

ES scoring:
Smyth 34 pts (18 PP)
Guerin 33 pts (14 PP)
Zubrus 31 pts (21 PP)
Tkachuk 30 pts (13 PP)
Saprykin 30 pts (4 PP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe
I hardly ever disgree with Muckler's moves, and I'll continue this trend with my continuing praise of an heralded move that will probably help us just as much as some big name without much substance.
The conclusions on both sides of this fence are premature. I'm not going to necessarily wait until the playoffs... but before I decide; I want to see Saprykin play and more importantly, to fit in and find a niche on this team. If we can't find a way to use him or he's not good enough, then the deal is a failure. If he works hard, produces and fits into a role, it's a success.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
freakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indrew View Post
Last time I checked, the posters on this board don't run the team.
I'm pretty sure I single handedly willed some wins though.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:41 AM
zenator

I would have liked more, but so be it.

Mattias Norstrom and / or Ryan Smyth would have been perfect, but the price would have been very high. But I would have gone for 1 or both of them to make a run.

It's not that big a deal not getting Roberts, as he is 40 years old. It would have been nice, but the Sens' policy isn't mortgaging the future. Roberts' impact on the ice wouldn't have been nearly the impact of a Smyth or Norstrom. Sure, he's a great leader, but I think the leadership is fine here.

Go big, go small or go home. No point going medium and paying a big price.

Saprykin looks to be a nice depth player who gives a high effort level and is a very good skater. Cheap price, and more importantly, it makes our team better NEXT year as well.

This team is 17 games over .500 since Christmas. We are playing better than in the 2nd half last year, and at this pace the entire year, we would have had about 115 points. I'm not saying the team is that good, but it is how we've played since Christmas.

zenator is offline   Reply With Quote